Problems With Going vegetarian - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Banned

My family isnt rich we live in a one bed room household. My mom is health conchious but not vegetarion. I did however write her an email stating i would like to go vegetarion starting september fourth. Now i have never eating chicken pork or diary products because my dad wont let me. So ive been raised drinking soy milk and i guess you can say i like it ive never tasted animal milk. Now my mom said i can go vegetarion but once i start i can quit untill five months if i want to. Im 14 years old and to be honest i dont give a damn about animals and only want to become vegetarion due to health reasons . However now that i have throughly researched vegetarion diets to me seem unhealthy. They lack in b 12 and zink and soy products drastically reduce your sperm count for men and increasing your chanes of having mis carraiges in women.

For example, the French have one of the highest per capita consumption of meat, yet have low rates of heart disease. In Greece, meat consumption is higher than average but rates of heart disease are low there as well.

1 hour ago

Myth: Vitamin B12 can be obtained from certain plant sources such as blue-green algae and soy products.

Truth: Vitamin B12 is not absorbed from plant sources. Modern soy products increase the body's need for B12. (Soybeans: Chemistry & Technology Vol 1 1972)

Argentina, with higher beef consumption, has lower rates of colon cancer than the US. Mormons have lower rates of colon cancer than vegetarian Seventh Day Adventists (Cancer Res 35:3513 1975)

Myth: Soy foods provide complete protein.

Truth: Like all legumes, soy beans are deficient in sulfur-containing amino acids methionine and cystine. In addition, modern processing denatures fragile lysine.

Myth: Fermented soy foods can provide vitamin B12 in vegetarian diets.

Truth: The compound that resembles vitamin B12 in soy cannot be used by the human body; in fact, soy foods cause the body to require more B12

1 hour ago

That vitamin B12 can only be obtained from animal foods is one of the strongest arguments against veganism being a "natural" way of human eating. Today, vegans can avoid anemia by taking supplemental vitamins or fortified foods. If those same people had lived just a few decades ago, when these products were unavailable, they would have died.

Now im not trying to downside vegetarionism but they lack in zinc, b 12 ,iron ,calcium,vitimen d, and protien. MY MOM CANT AFFORD TO BUY ME ALL OF THESE SUPPLMENTS so what other alternitives do i have ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malik Allah View Post

Myth: Vitamin B12 can be obtained from certain plant sources such as blue-green algae and soy products.

Truth: Vitamin B12 is not absorbed from plant sources. Modern soy products increase the body's need for B12. (Soybeans: Chemistry & Technology Vol 1 1972)

Never heard that myth. It is commonly known that there are no reliable plant sources of B12. Soymilk, cereals, and tofu, amont other vegan friendly foods are often fortified in B12. Apart from that, take a pill. Also, check the dates on your sources. Since 1972 soy has become one of the most common plant foods in the world and has come under much, much more scrutiny. If, even under all of that, that 1972 source is the only one you've got--you dont have much.

Quote:

Argentina, with higher beef consumption, has lower rates of colon cancer than the US. Mormons have lower rates of colon cancer than vegetarian Seventh Day Adventists (Cancer Res 35:3513 1975)

That's nice. 1975 by the way.

Quote:

Myth: Soy foods provide complete protein.

Truth: Like all legumes, soy beans are deficient in sulfur-containing amino acids methionine and cystine. In addition, modern processing denatures fragile lysine.

never heard that myth either--soy is not a complete protein, but you know where you can get your met and cys? Try eating a fruit or vegetable or grain.

Quote:

Myth: Fermented soy foods can provide vitamin B12 in vegetarian diets.

Truth: The compound that resembles vitamin B12 in soy cannot be used by the human body; in fact, soy foods cause the body to require more B12

1 hour ago

That vitamin B12 can only be obtained from animal foods is one of the strongest arguments against veganism being a "natural" way of human eating. Today, vegans can avoid anemia by taking supplemental vitamins or fortified foods. If those same people had lived just a few decades ago, when these products were unavailable, they would have died.

refer to origional comment on b12. Fermented foods do not provide the b12 perse, but they are fortified most often.
#3 Old 08-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Banned

its a scientific fact vegetarion diets lack essiential nutrients the human body needs. How do i get these nutriets without spending hundreds of dollars on supplements my mom can not afford this

also its proven soy products reduces sperm in men and cause women to have misscarriges

I WANT TO HAVE KIDS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

That's not going back and forth arguing. She pretty much refuted all of your dated facts. There's no need to be rude.

The effect soy has on sperm count is a relatively new research area is it not? There are plenty of males with children that eat soy... consider China's birth rate?

It is also not a scientific FACT that a vegetarian diet lacks essential nutrients. A poor one might, but it takes effort to make any diet healthy.
#5 Old 08-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

The reason mormons have low rates of cancer is because they don't drink alcohol or smoke.

Also if you're drinking soy milk, you're probably getting enough B-12 since most brands are fortified with it.

If you're eating a varied diet with plenty of fruits, veggies, legumes and whole grains, you're getting all the nutrition you need. You need to get some nutrition information newer than the 70s.
#6 Old 08-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Banned

I apologize i didnt mean to me rude anyways you all gave me the information i desired thanks.
#7 Old 08-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Please don't look at these posts as "arguing." Everyone is just trying to help you get your facts straight.

I agree with Earthly Delight that your arguments are rather outdated. Soy, fruits, veggies, nuts, and grains are great natural sources of vitamins and nutrients. Personally, I opt to take a multi vitamin and a calcium supplement every day. They aren't expensive and will cover a ton of bases when it comes to getting all the vitamins that you need to consume throughout the day. Best of luck with your new lifestyle.
#8 Old 08-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Read "The New Becoming Vegetarian" It has updated information on proper nutrition and where to get all the nutrients you need.

PS Being rude and insulting isn't really the way to get help from new people.
#9 Old 08-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillibean View Post

Read "The New Becoming Vegetarian" It has updated information on proper nutrition and where to get all the nutrients you need.

PS Being rude and insulting isn't really the way to get help from new people.

What is that a book or a sticky ?
#10 Old 08-12-2008, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Zinc: peanuts, beans, and brown rice to start

Iron: Spinach, raisins, peas...

Calcium: fortified foods like plain ol' cereal, blackstrap molasses, collard greens

Vitamin D: sunshine. try 15 minutes of it..

Protein: beans, nuts, seeds, spinach, cereals & grains...

Vitamin b12: fortified foods like margarine, cereals, and yeast...
#11 Old 08-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Becoming Vegetarian is a book. You can probably find it in the library.
#12 Old 08-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Banned

Aight thanks
#13 Old 08-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

What is that a book or a sticky ?

It's a book. http://www.amazon.com/New-Becoming-V...8567443&sr=8-1

Moderate amounts of soy are not going to affect you negatively. There are several threads on here and google is full of sites (be careful though, most of them are not objective)
#14 Old 08-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

You were raised drinking soy milk, and now you're worried about soy because you're going veg? If you're already drinking soy milk, and you're not going to buy lots of expensive fake meat products, then your soy consumption probably won't increase that much. But as was already mentioned, check your soy milk container to see if the brand you drink has B12 in it. Many do.

And I'll second the recommendation for heading to the library and looking for "Becoming Vegetarian" by Melina and Davis. Good book, and it derails the outdated myths you're quoting.

--Fromper

#15 Old 08-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Banned

i'm interested in where your info came from. what website was it on?

how are all the indian vegetarians alive if thats all true? what about all the asian people who eat soy? they don't seem to have trouble making babies!

what country do you live in. american, canadian, and british national societies for dieticians (food health experts) have said that vegetarianism and veganism is absolutely fine and perfectly healthy, you know.
#16 Old 08-13-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:

Now that the protein thing is becoming less of an issue this B12 thing sure gets beaten to death, doesn't it? Rather than quote it all, I'll just link to a page with some interesting information on B12, particularly in regards to the bold text...

http://www.vegetarianaction.org.au/Living/VLB12.htm

I also wanted to add that I eat a vegetarian diet with only rare occurances of soy consumption. It is possible to protect your future children and still eat vegetarian.
#17 Old 08-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll have to find the link somewhere, but I read that the soy consumption studies are based on consuming LARGE amounts of soy aka around 1/2 gallon amount of soy milk a day. If you don't drink a TON of soy milk and don't consume huge amounts of other soy products there won't be a significant effect on you.
#18 Old 08-13-2008, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Deleted post: I thought this was the thread in the Heap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page