Back on the Wagon... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-10-2008, 09:12 AM
Beginner

I had been a vegetarian for about a year, and then I went back to eating meat just recently, but not to the extent where it is a daily thing. In fact, looking back, it was just once or twice in a week that I would even consume meat. But after thinking about my choices, I decided that eating meat really wasn't for me. Not only did I feel disgusted with myself, but my stomach would not be feeling good either.

The reason why I went back to consuming meat, was because well, I was tired of people constantly on my neck about my choices. Every time I hung out with my best friend, she would be asking me why, why and why. And my parents followed the idea that I needed meat to survive. Meat was essential. Oh, and I think my downfall would be spring rolls. Either way, would it be wrong for me to be a vegetarian secretively?

For me, I dislike it when vegetarians advocate to others about their choices and pressure others to eat like them. I find that each person is entitled to their own choices regardless. Anyhow, I don't want my parents at my neck about eating meat. And what irked me when I did go back to eating meat (it was just fish and tuna), my relatives were quick to criticize me in that they said, "Why are you eating meat now?" And they gave me that judgemental look as they were eating the carcass of a cow and licking their chopsticks. For me, why do my choices matter, as when I did not consume meat, I didn't yell at them or even talk to them about their consumption of animal flesh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-10-2008, 09:44 AM
Banned

Lots of great vegetarian spring rolls out there

The next time someone starts giving you a hard time about your dietary choices why not just say 'Hey, lets make a deal: you don't tell me what to eat and I don't tell you in graphic detail exactly how that steak got on your plate. Deal?'
#3 Old 07-10-2008, 09:46 AM
Beginner

Thanks MrFalafel! That is an awesome idea! Hahah!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-10-2008, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I've noticed that when people initially go veg that the people around them sort of freak out for awhile and then tend to calm down- if the situations are handled relatively well. However, if you flip flop back and forth between veg and meat-eater, people tend to see you as swayable and inconsistent. Once you make the decision and stick with it, it tends to diffuse anyone's comments. You just tell them you're not changing and to lay off.

It's not wrong to be a closet-vegetarian but it will make your life a lot harder. It's much easier to stand up to people who give you a hard time and politely tell them that you appreciate their concern but you (and the general medical community) feel confident that a vegetarian lifestyle is a healthy choice. When you stick with it they'll see your serious and lay off (almost) completely.

Good Luck!
#5 Old 07-10-2008, 10:08 AM
Beginner

I see what you mean Beachbunny. At first when I decided to become vegetarian, my parents thought it was a phase and they were surprised I had kept through with it and continued to not eat meat.

I know not telling others would seem hard, but I guess I shall see how things will go. Thanks for your reply.
#6 Old 07-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I read in your other thread that you don't want to seem "pushy" and you don't want to "advocate" vegetarianism. There are plenty of people that feel that way and sometimes just being "The Vegetarian" is a hard thing to do. However, the longer you allow people to push their beliefs on you the less happy both you and your parents/friends/co-workers will be.

If people are "on your neck" about something, do you usually just let them get away with it? I would find that hurtful no matter what it was about- my food choices, religion, whatever. Live and let live.

Just find a good balance with it all.
#7 Old 07-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Your story is very common and you'll have lots of friends on here who can share similar ones.
#8 Old 07-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Beginner

I guess you are right. There really is nothing wrong with being different, because if my friend had not told me that he was a vegetarian, I would have not known anything about it, and I wouldn't have started questioning my own choices. I should instead be proud of my choices, and hopefully have others see where I am coming from as to why I do what I do.
#9 Old 07-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Welcome back! I read in your other thread that you were sick of getting criticized for your decision to go vegetarian.

You also said that you're not pushy about vegetarianism- you don't like to get in people's faces about it. There's nothing wrong with that. I didn't go vegetarian because anyone tried to convert me, and I'm not pushy either. But I say you're entitled to the same consideration from others that you give them. Perhaps you could ask them since you don't give people grief when they eat meat, why are they getting on your case for being vegetarian?

If you don't want to make extra work for your folks, you'll probably want to learn to cook (if you haven't already). You mentioned that you don't care for "fake meats", and since those are kind of expensive, your food bills will probably be quite low.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#10 Old 07-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

There ya go! Be proud of who you are! And that doesn't mean you have to be an in-your-face vegetarian just that you've made a choice you feel good about. Nothin wrong with that.

The thing is- people notice. Especially now that you've gone veg to meat-eater and back to veg. They will notice and ask and unless you want to lie, it's just easier sayin, "Yeah I went back to being vegetarian. I feel good and I'm sticking with it this time. Thanks for noticing " If you keep a positive attitude, you'll be fine.
#11 Old 07-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Beginner

Wow, thanks for such great support - both of you!

It just makes me feel even better about my choices! Thank you so much!
#12 Old 07-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

You'll be fine Making the decision to go vegetarian almost 7 years ago was the best thing I ever did. It's the most rewarding, peaceful, fun thing ever. I haven't regretted it for a day and once you get settled, neither will you.
#13 Old 07-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Actually, I became a vegetarian after becoming friends with a vegetarian and questioning "why, why, why." If my friend had told me to get lost, I wouldn't have become a vegetarian probably. Sometimes "questioning" is because a person is interested. I didn't know that you could eat only potatoes for a meal, or anything like that. She taught me a lot about health foods, and got me interested in taking care of myself more-- including quitting smoking. If anyone questions my choices, I just think of myself as a kind of an ambassador-- I'm not there to force anything on anyone, but I show them they can have delicious food and be a normal person and still be a vegetarian. But I think the whole point is that some people use questions to find out about something. How you react can actually make vegetarianism look better for someone who might be thinking of giving it a try.
#14 Old 07-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

You also said that you're not pushy about vegetarianism- you don't like to get in people's faces about it. There's nothing wrong with that. I didn't go vegetarian because anyone tried to convert me, and I'm not pushy either. But I say you're entitled to the same consideration from others that you give them. Perhaps you could ask them since you don't give people grief when they eat meat, why are they getting on your case for being vegetarian?

This is a great way to put it. I wish I had put it so succinctly myself!
#15 Old 07-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Beginner

Thanks so much everyone!

Your replies have been very helpful! I completely agree - positive outlook is the way to go, and how I explain my choices may influence others and shed some light into some understanding. Thanks thanks!
#16 Old 07-10-2008, 01:03 PM

_sharon, you and I are in the same boat, hun. At dinner, my brother constantly says "mmmmmmmmm, this *insert meat here* is DELICIOUS!" or "Kelley, would you like some *insert meat food product here*?... oh wait, I forgot." I would've let the second one slide, but I've been meatless for a year. All I can say is: follow MrFalafel's advice That's one smart cookie!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page