Doc Says Lose Weight In 6 Weeks - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I gained 20 pounds in the last 6 months and the doctor said I have to lose "weight" in the next 6 weeks. I also have to lower my LDL which is only 111 to under a hundered or he'll put my on meds (which I won't take). I think it's odd to be put on Chol med when it's so close to normal. And I understand the need to lose weight. I'm 5'5" and 165, but I don;t know what he expects in 6 weeks.

I need some easy and interesting for lunch. I always make a good dinner but have a very boring lunch.

Sorry had to vent. Less pasta for me I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Did he tell you how much weight he expects you to lose in 6 weeks? It's generally agreed that a healthy and sustainable weight loss is an average of 1 - 2 pounds per week. So you'd be looking at 6 - 12 pounds in 6 weeks. Does he expect more than that? Cholesterol medications? Is your LDL the only value that is high? What is your total cholesterol? And how about your LDL/HDL ratio?

Personally, I'd be thinking it is time for a new doctor.

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
#3 Old 07-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Weird! I'm 160-ish and 5'4" and my doctor says my health is awesome and the only reason for me to lose weight would be vanity (I'm still trying to lose because I'm a vain girl.) If you want to lower your cholesterol, stick to a whole-foods diet (whole grains, beans, veggies, fruit) and avoid things like refined grains (like white bread, white pasta and white rice) and processed meat subs (like veggie burgers and veggie dogs - tofu, tempeh and any meat subs you make yourself are fine.) Healthy fats like olive oil, avocado, etc are great for raising your good cholesterol and oatmeal is great for lowering your bad cholesterol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Beginner

I'm 5'4" and my goal weight is 160-165. I'm very happy with how I look at that weight and it's a healthy weight for me. You've already lost so much weight. I say just eat whole foods and exercise and your body will find the right weight. I think we're more than what a chart says we have to weigh.

~kathy
#5 Old 07-07-2008, 04:51 PM

When I started grad school last fall, I was 5'5" and 162lbs. I started unintentionally transitioning into a veg diet because meat was expensive and difficult/gross to cook, but I was too broke to eat out more than once per week. I also started walking about 3 miles 5 days per week because I have no car. I lost 30 lbs in about six months that way. Definitely do it slowly though, and don't weigh yourself too often either because weight will naturally fluctuate and it's not worth the stress. My lunches during that time were basically either pasta or rice and veggies or half a bagel with almond butter and a slimfast. Hope that helps!
#6 Old 07-07-2008, 06:39 PM

Usually people on cholesterol meds have LDLs in the 300s. It's a bit odd that he wants you on them now. A bit of diet control should be fine, even though veggie's tend to have very low cholesterol anyway.

As for cutting out carbs, you really shouldn't have to do that. Stick to whole grains for the most part, and introduce some moderate exercise (if you haven't already).

Six weeks is kind of a short period of time when you aren't very overweight. I'd start asking some questions.
#7 Old 07-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah I'm thinking new doctor IF I can find one that will prescribe my Armour thyroid medication... I've have to look around. It seems he's being extreme, especially since I'm on so many meds as it is. I don't need to take anything else unless I really NEED it.

My

LDL: 114

HDL: 60

Ratio: 1.89

I don't really know what the ratio means.
#8 Old 07-07-2008, 09:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post

Weird! I'm 160-ish and 5'4" and my doctor says my health is awesome and the only reason for me to lose weight would be vanity (I'm still trying to lose because I'm a vain girl.)

That's funny. I'm 5'3 and weighed 147 and my doctor labeled me "obese" and lectured me every time I saw him that I HAD TO lose weight. I was down to 1200 calories a day and working out with a personal trainer and the scale wasn't budging.

I'm now down to about 122lbs.. and despite being 25lbs lighter and eating a largely vegan diet for nearly 5 yrs now my cholesterol hasn't budged at all from the mid 200's. My liver is cholesterol happy.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#9 Old 07-07-2008, 10:09 PM

As everyone would tell you, weight just tells you a number. It doesn't factor in your body type, the amount of muscle in your body. Did he find your body fat percentage? If that was high then he may have some grounds, just because too much fat can lead to more health problems, but weight alone can vary on multiple factors. And there are studies showing genetic factors contribute to cholesterol. So just like cathiasplace said, "eat whole foods and exercise and your body will find the right weight." I like that; it just sounds so natural.
#10 Old 07-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinan3 View Post

As everyone would tell you, weight just tells you a number. It doesn't factor in your body type, the amount of muscle in your body.

qft
#11 Old 07-08-2008, 03:34 PM

add flax seed oil pills to your routine, as well as apple cider vinegar either in pill form or liquid. both of these help curb cravings. add more water, more veggies and more fiber, fiber collects fat on it's way through digestion moving it out of the body

walk more

good luck!
#12 Old 07-11-2008, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

What's your usual boring lunch? Besides the standby sandwiches, I'll bring stuff like taco salads (no cheese or shell), spaghetti squash topped with veggies, beans, and spaghetti squash, soup with a slice of whole wheat bread, hummus (made without much oil; just cuz I like it that way) with dipping veggies. Spicy stuff (chana pindi, yum) is more satisfying for the calories.

btw, people with thyroid problems do have different issues than the usual; so I'd ask the doc what the deal was before deciding he was wrong. Maybe there's a good reason to get so aggressive; maybe there isn't.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page