My friend says going vegetarian won't make a difference. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Beginner

I tell him that he will contributing to a decrease in demand for these products, but honestly I am not an econimist and I really don't even know how that works. He's yeah, I might make a little difference, but it's not worth giving I like. He think cinsuming meat and dairy is very cruel, but doesn't think he will help! Someone help me help him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-30-2008, 08:43 PM
Banned

i think maybe he just doesn't want to put himself out that much and actually do something. cos i'd be suprised if he didn't get that lots of people doing the same thing can make a MASSIVE difference, and every single person involved is a part of that change. maybe he just doesn't want to get it, cos if its not true, he can still eat burgers. i don't know. he's got to be able to understand supply and demand, thats not too tricky of a concept, really. maybe start with that?
#3 Old 06-30-2008, 08:55 PM

You might also point out to your friend that you're not the only one making this choice - that many other people eat and live this way as well and that collectively, you're already making a big difference
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-30-2008, 09:49 PM
Veggie Regular

It's the same as with voting. Many people say that one person won't make a difference, but if all the people who said that do it, it makes a huge difference. So even though his personal contribution might be small, him doing it might inspire others to do it, and so on, adding to something that's growing and can collectively change things.
#5 Old 06-30-2008, 10:03 PM
Veggie Regular

While I'd like to think I'm making a difference, I'm not vegan solely to effect a change. I'm vegan so that I don't have to eat corpses and the products of torture. If you knew not killing someone wouldn't affect the murder rate at all, or stop other people from murdering, would you take a human life? I hope not. It's not all about making a difference.
#6 Old 07-01-2008, 06:53 AM
Beginner

People use that excuse to not do anything. But there are others out there doing the same thing. Every person who avoids animal products add their voice, their money to the cause. It's getting bigger.

I'm not a vegan to make a massive world change. I became a vegan because I could not make sense of using animals as things for us, when we don't need them. Not every choice has to be made to change the world, but it can help in the tide for change.
#7 Old 07-01-2008, 07:07 AM
Veggie Regular

1) Is your friend an economist? The burden of proof is on the accuser, not you.

2) What is he advocating? Inaction? Apathy? Sounds like he's depressed.
#8 Old 07-01-2008, 07:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetfield View Post

You might also point out to your friend that you're not the only one making this choice - that many other people eat and live this way as well and that collectively, you're already making a big difference

POS REP.
#9 Old 07-01-2008, 07:32 AM
Veggie Regular

It makes a difference to me. I don't feel guilty about what I'm eating (well.. unless I eat like, four too many cookies! haha. But that's a different sort of guilt), and I feel good about the fact that I'm doing my part to minimize the suffering of animals. I don't think you can make other people go veg, and a lot of the time you can't make them understand vegetarianism like you do, and you just have to accept that you disagree.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#10 Old 07-01-2008, 08:05 AM
Ex-*****

If no one had believed in and advocated democracy in the first place, it would never have caught on. And if people stopped believing in democracy, it would fall apart like a house of cards. It rests on a foundation made out of belief.

It's the same thing with veg*ism and our attitudes toward animals.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#11 Old 07-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Veggie Regular

How the supply and demand thing works is that you don't buy animal products, so there's more supply than demand, so the makers can't sell all their stuff or can't sell it for as much money. After awhile some of them get discouraged and do something else for a living, reducing the supply so it meets the demand again.

The difference between the original supply and the new, lower supply represents the critters that didn't get offed to feed you.

I can't make a huge difference perhaps, but I can make one person's worth -- and that's what I am responsible for.

Does one person having beans instead of chicken make any difference? If you could ask the chicken I'd guess so. It's like the saying that all wars are the same size, because death comes one to the customer.
#12 Old 07-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Veggie Regular

He's wrong, but even if he were right, you would still be making a difference to yourself. You don't need to eat corpses, they are not health giving. That would be like a diabetic saying, "I'm eating this whole cake and whatever happens, happens.. because even if I don't eat it, diabetes will still exist in the world".
#13 Old 07-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Your choice may not get rid of the meat industry overnight,but its one step closer to a world less violent towards and more respecting of animals. Not only are you not eating meat, but your also spreading a positive message to every person who asks why aren't you eating that hamburger. It could be just me because I'm from Alabama, but despite the fact that everyone knows what a vegan is, a lot of people still have a hard time imagining someone applying that concept to their life until they get that chance to talk to someone. I am more than happy to answer "Do you eat cookies?Turkey on Thanksgiving?" as many times as I have because I know that the concept is getting spread around, and I also know I am squashing some rumors out there about this lifestyle. You're making an impact. You save lives, and spread the inforamtion about veg*nism. You make an impact on and your health yourself by not exposing yourself to some health issues meat can offer and all the disgusting things in it.Stick to your values and be proud to be a veggie!
#14 Old 07-03-2008, 01:51 PM

"Your little bit of doing -insert good thing here- isn't doing enough to be worthwhile" is a facile excuse for continuing to be part of the problem instead of the solution. Each extra individual who makes a better choice makes the world that much better for everyone else.

Besides, even aside from that general principle, you aren't veggie in a vacuum. Every time a purely veggie choice shows up at a lunch or a party because you're there, likely as not someone eats it instead of an extra serving of meat. Anytime you're responsible for cooking, that much less meat gets eaten.
#15 Old 07-03-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

It makes a difference to me. I don't feel guilty about what I'm eating (well.. unless I eat like, four too many cookies! haha. But that's a different sort of guilt), and I feel good about the fact that I'm doing my part to minimize the suffering of animals. I don't think you can make other people go veg, and a lot of the time you can't make them understand vegetarianism like you do, and you just have to accept that you disagree.

I totally agree. It does make a difference, first of all to yourself, and to the people around you (those who know you made the more compassionate choice), and in the grand scheme of things, it's one more person that does not support these cruel industries.
#16 Old 07-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Beginner

Thank you all for the great responses. I didn't expect there were so many different ways to explain it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page