Vegan weight loss... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-30-2008, 12:04 PM

I went vegan a little more than a month ago. At first, I didn't expect to lose any weight. (though I will admit I wanted to. I'm going to Hawaii in August and want to shed my freshman 15 from first year uni...) And at first, I didn't. As if to prove to myself that I can still eat, I binged on all my beloved carbs.

I have grown up in a household where huge amounts of protein is a MUST, but obviously all animal protein. I have gone on pretty low carb high protein diets in the past with almost no results. I was so strict and would only lose about a pound a month. One time I went on the GI diet, and ate a huge amount of carbs (packed with sick amounts of fiber) and lost ten pounds in half a month before going to Mexico. (in 2005) This was completely without trying.

Last summer my family left me at home alone and I had no money, so I lived on practically no meat, and again, lost tons of weight in a very small amount of time. I didn't really know what I was doing (though I did eat eggs, butter and cheese, though in limited amounts...).

I gained it all back over the year, and have been trying to lose every bit I have gained but to no avail.

Then I decided to go Vegan. NOT because of weight loss, no, I was not a "Skinny *****" convert or anything like that. I had never really seemed to put two and two together to realize that I COULD keep weight on eating lots of grilled chicken breast. (What I had thought was basically the very best diet food to eat.)

However, I feel I have been losing maybe TOO quickly, I mean, they say on a diet one should not lose more than 2 pounds per week. I am already down nine pounds, (to 121) since I kinda stopped just bingeing on all the vegan food I could get my hands on. I'm not really hungry most of the time, and don't really want to force myself to eat more.

I just wanted to know, is it normal, when eating normal amounts, to lose a lot of weight initially if one is going vegan (especially with an apparent history of losing weight on low animal protein diets). I'm worried most of all to suddenly gain it back, because if I am losing so much initially it's obviously a lot of water and maybe lean muscle mass. Is my body probably just really acclimating to my new way of eating?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-30-2008, 02:39 PM
Veggie Regular

This is where I am right now. (The vegan junk food fest, not the weight loss). I think you are normal and you should listen to your body...and enjoy the loss! Congrats! I was eating a lot of whole foods and after a month of no loss I decided to sabatoge myself by eating crap. Oreos may be vegan, but that doesn't make them good for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisianna View Post

I went vegan a little more than a month ago. At first, I didn't expect to lose any weight. (though I will admit I wanted to. I'm going to Hawaii in August and want to shed my freshman 15 from first year uni...) And at first, I didn't. As if to prove to myself that I can still eat, I binged on all my beloved carbs.

#3 Old 06-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Warning, this is super long... You might not be losing water and muscle, and even if you are, you're probably losing fat, too. Meat is higher in fat than most plant-based foods, so cutting those out will make a difference. I've lost weight since becoming vegetarian, but I've also been hard-coring it at the gym, so I'm not sure which caused it (probably both). I would say that as long as you're eating healthfully, don't worry too much about where the lost weight is coming from. You're not too likely to gain it back as long as you continue eating healthful foods.

A little weight loss/gain/maintenance info: If your daily calorie intake has dropped significantly (which is probably has), you will lose weight quickly at first but it will then taper off. The less you weigh, the fewer calories your body needs per day to function. (to lose a pound a week, you want to eat an average of 500 cal less per day than you burn). Say I weighed 140lbs and am moderately active, and to maintain that weight I need 2100 cal per day (these are my numbers). If I burn 2100 per day through exercise and just general existence (walking around, talking, fidgeting, breathing, digesting, etc) and eat 2100 per day, I won't gain or lose weight. If I suddenly drop to 1500 cal per day in, my body will steal those extra 600 calories from other parts of me (depending on your body it could be from muscle, fat, or both). As I lose weight, though, my body has less cells to feed and therefore needs fewer calories. So, say I drop to 130lbs, and my body only needs 2000 cal per day to maintain its weight now. Now my deficit is only 500 cal per day less in than out. That's only 100 less than before, but that will slow down the weight loss a bit. As I drop farther down (though I probably won't go below that weight honestly), my deficit will get smaller. Say I drop to 120lbs, now my body only needs 1900 cal to function, so my deficit is 400... at 110 I need 1800 and the deficit is 300... etc. You get my drift.

The general point here is weight loss will taper off as your weight drops, and as long as your daily calories in are more or less equal to calories out, your weight will stay pretty stable.

If you want to check out this link http://walking.about.com/cs/calories/l/blcalcalc.htm, you can put in height, weight, age and activity level and it will tell you what you probably burn on an average day. Then, if you figure out more or less how many calories you eat, you'll see what the in vs out difference is.

Also, normally you don't want to lose more than 1-2 lbs per week, so I would check to make sure you're getting enough calories. If you're not but don't want to eat more, try choosing slightly higher-calorie foods. That will slow the process down a little. It's recommended for women not to drop below 1200 calories per day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-01-2008, 06:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisianna View Post

I just wanted to know, is it normal, when eating normal amounts, to lose a lot of weight initially if one is going vegan (especially with an apparent history of losing weight on low animal protein diets).

It's a reality for a lot of people who don't eat tons of bread or pasta (like me). I've lost between 17-18 pounds in about 2 months (and that was still with some dairy cheese in my diet). I'm working on regaining a little.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page