VeggieBoards banner

Sharing what goes on in the meat industry with omni friends/family?

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Bios 
#1 ·
Wow, I've only been vegetarian for 2 weeks, after reading about those things, but I just watched the Meet Your Meat video. Seeing it breaks my heart even more.

Now that I know this stuff though, I want to share it with everyone I know, like, see, THIS is how it happens!! However, I don't want to be annoying about it and for people to get angry at me for trying to "change" them or whatever. I mean, that wouldn't be exactly it though, I just want them to know what's going on, they can make their own decisions... although I don't understand how anyone can support that!

Any advice on how to do deal with this sort of thing? It's just so hard for me to sit here and not say anything about it, although I think that is what I will probably end up doing...

See less See more
#2 ·
People tend to feel very attacked if you tell them about these things without invitation, particularly if they are not currently of a mood to change their diet to avoid the association.

I've found it best to stick to occasional side comments and allusions, unless someone expresses a real desire to know more. I've found an answer to the 'why are you vegetarian' question along the lines of "Have you ever been in a hog production facility? I have." goes a long way. Works best if you've actually been there of course...

#3 ·
I never get pushy or confrontational about the choices of my omni friends or family. That didn't get me to go vegan, and I just don't think it's a useful way to change people's habits.

To be clear, I understand your frustration, for sure. It seems incredible that people colud be in such denial about such needless cruelty.

What do I do? Well, for starters, I try to show others that I'm healthy and energetic, and that I'm passionate about cooking and food, while not consuming animals. I think that when people get the idea that you can be engaged, healthy and happy- that the point of veg*ism isn't restrictions and rules but rather a way to celebrate life- it leads to a meaningful change in how people relate to the idea.

So then, whan they ask you the "why" question, they're going to come at it fro a much more open and curious position, and not a defensive one. My answer is usually very simple, along the lines of "Well, it's mainly because the meat and dairy industries are shockingly cruel." That may lead to debate, discussion, or agreement, but the bottom line is, you've got them asking the questions that can lead them to re-examining their dietary choices, and you've got yourself as testament to those being positive choices.

Another thing is to develop a love of cooking and to share the fruits of that love. I make food for people all the time... like when I go to visit my family I'll often cook practically all the meals for everyone, after a long night out withmy friends I'll often invite everyone over a vegan fry-up as an alternative to them going to McDonalds or such. Food is indeed love, and who doesn't like having tasty dishes made for them? It's not just good "PR" for veg*anism; you're also replacing one of their meals with a meatless one, so you're saving lives!

I know that my decisions have made my friends re-examine theirs a little, and I've told them, "when you're ready to make the choice, let me know, and I'll help." The worst thing I think I could do is isolate myself from them by badgering them; I fail to see how it could help anyone.

Sending the occasional link or "forgetting" the occasional pamphlet at someone's house is fair game, sure. But if you take it to the point of re-enforcing some of the negative stereotypes peole have, then I feel it does more harm than good.

#4 ·
"I'm learning about what happens to animals on farms. I didn't know what happened before, but now I do. I really want to share this information with people. It means a lot to me. I wish someone had shared it with me, so I could have made an informed decision earlier. Can I show you and tell you about some things, and why I feel so strongly about it?"

That's about how you feel, right? IF you're not into food and cooking, I think it doesn't make sense to try to develop a passionate interest in those things. I've been a vegan for a long time, and I'm not a "foodie" and I'm not going to be able to turn myself into one in the hopes that some other foodie will get some ideas. It sounds like you're concerned about the ethics of what you're learning, and that's what you might express.

#6 ·
Thanks for the advice! I definitely like to cook, although I have to admit it is hard for me to try new foods--has been creating an interesting challenge for me, especially in the dairy department! So anyway, I will be cooking vegetarian meals for people for sure.

One of my best friends has actually been a vegetarian for 8 years, so I called her last night to get advice on how she handles this too, as I never ONCE felt pressure from her, and I always thought that was cool that she wasn't preachy about it. (Although now I'm thinking, why was I so blind, and why didn't I ask?) Her answer was very much like Will Penguin's--If people ask, tell them simply why you chose this lifestyle, but don't go volunteering it all over the place because a lot of people choose to live in denial. Her answer is "I got an education about it. If you knew what happened, you wouldn't meat either."

Already, quite a few people have said, "Don't tell me, I don't want to know!" after they asked why I went vegetarian and my answer was "I read the book Skinny ***** and found out a lot of things I didn't want to know." I'm going to work on that answer to say something about how bad the industry is instead.

Oh, and I don't think I ever want to go to a hog production facility... I have seen enough! Did you know what you were getting into when you went?? The little piggies on the Meet Your Meat video was one of the worst parts

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitChick99 View Post

One of my best friends has actually been a vegetarian for 8 years, so I called her last night to get advice on how she handles this too, as I never ONCE felt pressure from her, and I always thought that was cool that she wasn't preachy about it. (Although now I'm thinking, why was I so blind, and why didn't I ask?) Her answer was very much like Will Penguin's--If people ask, tell them simply why you chose this lifestyle, but don't go volunteering it all over the place because a lot of people choose to live in denial. Her answer is "I got an education about it. If you knew what happened, you wouldn't meat either."
Do you wish that she had actually told you, rather than you having to ask her? Do you think you might have become veg earlier?

I regret the animals I ate before I knew what happened to them. I wish that someone had told me (in the same way I suggested to you above). I had to find out for myself.

Why is voluntarily talking about an ethical belief with someone - respectfully - seen as so taboo?

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

Why is voluntarily talking about an ethical belief with someone - respectfully - seen as so taboo?
I think it just boils down to human nature and societal views about veg*anism. People, by and large, are often threatened when you make assertions- however true and however diplomatically worded- that they are contributing to the needless suffering of sentient beings.

Very often we make important decisions not primarily from external prodding, but from internal dialogues.

I mean, if I thought it would be effective, I'd send everybody in my email address book the link to "Meat Your Meat" daily. But it wouldn't be.

So, I'm always there to talk about it if someone's ready to, but if they're not, I don't press it, because then they'll usually just shut down, and then you've totally blown your chance.

#9 ·
That's funny--that is the first thing I wanted to do when I saw the Meat Your Meat video, send it to everyone I know, but, I didn't. My vegetarian friend said she didn't think she had seen it yet though, so she asked me to send it to her, again, someone who already cares that is going to see it.

Anyway, I think I will probably just wait until asked for the most part, as I really don't want to cause conflicts or uncomfortable feelings around people when I eat, or just in general. It is just going to be something I will have to deal with internally, and hope that my choices will at least prod some questions and get people a little more aware that there are some awful things going on out there. I will probably throw in a few side comments, harmless enough, here and there, just to get a quick point across, or for a thought to pass through someone's mind.

And that is a good point--I have no idea how I would've handled it if someone had flat out told me what goes on earlier. Would I have gotten mad at the person for being pushy? Would I not believe it? Would I ask them to stop telling me, or stop watching it, etc? Would I have been ready to change my lifestyle? I don't know. Obviously I would have been horrified, but I agree that most times we make a change because we want to, not because someone forced it on us. I know that both my friend and I just kind of stumbled upon finding out the truth on accident, both in different ways, but neither of us were searching for it, and no one forced it upon either of us either.

I think this is a hard thing for probably a lot of us. Obviously we feel strongly about veg*ism, and that is why we choose the lifestyle, and to us, it's just seems "right," (or at least to me) and it's hard for me to understand that people wouldn't agree... (although I know a lot of people just don't know!)

So, I guess there really is no "answer" to the question at hand, it is just something to deal with as it comes up.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions
It's so nice to get feedback from others who deal with the same stuff!

#10 ·
I'd feel people out and move slowly. I'm vegetarian but not for animal "rights" issues. And honestly, if someone had tried to push me with videos like that I would have never become one.

ETA: Oops, you already answered and touched on that...lol. Sorry.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitChick99 View Post

Anyway, I think I will probably just wait until asked for the most part, as I really don't want to cause conflicts or uncomfortable feelings around people when I eat, or just in general. It is just going to be something I will have to deal with internally, and hope that my choices will at least prod some questions and get people a little more aware that there are some awful things going on out there...

I know that both my friend and I just kind of stumbled upon finding out the truth on accident, both in different ways, but neither of us were searching for it, and no one forced it upon either of us either.
I think that thinking of providing information about what you're thinking and feeling, or have a strong ethical view about, as "force" is odd.

But I think that your post points to the difference between an activist and someone who is not - someone who is hoping the world mostly changes around them by chance or accident. Activists KNOW there will be uncomfortable feelings and conflicts sometimes - for example, slavery didn't stop by itself, with mostly silent abolitionists and information just sifting into the culture and people deciding to give up their power, nor would it have.

I hope for more activists in the world.

#12 ·
It was and still is really difficult talking about and trying to share all the knowledge and information that I have gained through vegetarianism and my thoughts on animal rights.

The first time that I took on vegetarianism was after I watched the Earthings documentary and lived with my veggie roommate for a semester. After watching the documentary, I tried to talk to my mom about it and I probably should have waited until I was little more calm...because she pretty much thought that I was going to turn into some kind of terrorist. She thinks that this lifestyle is too extreme if you are for the rights of animals, but I believe its because she's too comfortable in the way that she has lived her life and this new information makes her confront that...and she doesn't want to have to deal with that.

So, instead of trying to have full conversations about vegetarianism and animal rights, I make comments on things that are related. For example, my parents were watching an episode of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern and there was scene where a cow was being castrated off screen as part of a Chilean meal. My parents were in disgust and shock. I took the time to explain that it was a common practice in factory farms, like with young pigs. This was new information for them and then it snowballed into me spilling out more of my current knowledge of factory farming and my dad ended up vowing never to eat veal again.

So, I've come to find out that you really have to find the right opportunities to talk to some people.

Just take it slow and don't try to make it too personal.

#13 ·
Oh, and I don't think I ever want to go to a hog production facility... I have seen enough! Did you know what you were getting into when you went?? The little piggies on the Meet Your Meat video was one of the worst parts
[/QUOTE]

I went as a lab for my animal science class (I was a pre-vet major at the time). It wasn't like Meet your Meat; this place was one of the best-run ones and we were going to see how one should be run. It was clean and well ventilated, the animals were healthy, no one was interested in abusing them for sport but instead did try to take what they considered good care of the beasties.

What bothered me about it was the pervasive attitude of hogs as things ... their physical well-being was considered but they were definitely treated as objects of potential profit. The castrations and tuskings and tail croppings were performed without malice and with as little distress to the animals as could be conveniently accomplished, but with no more sense of consideration than the iron injections.

I didn't go veg then; didn't for years. But it was always in the back of my mind, and I found myself eating less pork. Sometimes an idea takes a long time to take root...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.