New Vegetarian Acne Issue - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-10-2008, 11:47 AM

I've been a vegetarian for about 3 months now, and on a Jewish kosher diet for 2 years.. (so I have both at once now)

I don't consider myself vegan.. (most of the "non-dairy" products I eat/drink contain trace amounts of dairy)

In the last 2 months I've gotten terrible acne, it isn't very red, it's just everywhere, and to the touch it feels like the surface of an orange inverted (that's the only way I can describe it)

I'm wondering if it could be related to my new diet.. I hadn't had acne in about 11 years (I was 12 when it cleared up, I'm 23 now) and didn't expect it to ever return..

Also, I'd like to know if anyone here knows of ways to treat it that are animal friendly (no test products etc.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

when i was a teenage i use to eat oranges for acne that seemed to help,plus drinking lots water
#3 Old 06-10-2008, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Proactiv!! It rocks!! It's vegan!! It works!! I love it!! Peace & Love!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Banned

are you eating a lot of something that you didn't eat before?
#5 Old 06-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickle00 View Post

I can't give much advice to the OP, but I used to use Proactiv. I went to a dermatologist for a facial, one of the best in the area, for a run-of-the-mill facial (cause thanks to Proactiv my face was pretty clear). She started popping all of these, crystals, out of my face. It was so effing painful.

She asked if I used Proactiv, and I told her I did, and she said something about how it causes these crystal things to clog your pores and somehow that works great in the short run, but years down the road your skin will get horribly worse if you continue using it. She showed me a few pictures and I got scared out of ever using it again.

I use Cetaphil at the moment, but I'm trying to switch to a more animal-friendly brand.
#6 Old 06-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Stress maybe. From worrying about what's in your food. That'll pass if it's true. I use Benzoyl peroxide. I'm not sure if it's useful or ethical though. I just think it is..
#7 Old 06-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libera Mentis View Post

I can't give much advice to the OP, but I used to use Proactiv. I went to a dermatologist for a facial, one of the best in the area, for a run-of-the-mill facial (cause thanks to Proactiv my face was pretty clear). She started popping all of these, crystals, out of my face. It was so effing painful.

She asked if I used Proactiv, and I told her I did, and she said something about how it causes these crystal things to clog your pores and somehow that works great in the short run, but years down the road your skin will get horribly worse if you continue using it. She showed me a few pictures and I got scared out of ever using it again.

I use Cetaphil at the moment, but I'm trying to switch to a more animal-friendly brand.

Really? Crazy!! I get a facial and a massage once every 3 weeks at my fav health/day spa and they have never said anything about crystals in my skin. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I get facials so often? Weird. I've never heard of that happening to anyone.
#8 Old 06-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Banned

Quote:

Really? Crazy!! I get a facial and a massage once every 3 weeks at my fav health/day spa and they have never said anything about crystals in my skin. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I get facials so often? Weird. I've never heard of that happening to anyone.

i haven't either. sounds suspicious. what exactly did she say caused these mysterious crystals, Libera Mentis? i'm really interested. are you sure she doesn't have an agenda, and a vested interest in telling you horror stories about products which she doesn't directly profit from?

the one thing i can think of is the micro-beads in the exfoliating face wash getting trapped in pores somehow- which is easy to work around- just use a different exfoliant without beads. the facewash is a bit of a scam anyway cos the peroxide in it isn't on your skin long enough to do a whole lot- it needs to sit there long term like it does in the lotion, in order to kill bacteria. any old gentle exfoliant will unblock pores and remove dead skin and oil like the cleanser does.

but anyway- 2.5% benozyl peroxide used like it is in the lotion (left on in a gel format) can be really very effective if your acne is bacterial, and isn't problematic in itself as in ingredient (its just a disinfectant that works by flooding the pores with oxygen, and killing the bacteria in there- who dislike an oxygen rich environment) but there are other ways of using it than proactiv if its a big concern for you as a specific product.

proactiv can work very effectively and problem free for some people, and not for others. it'll do sod all if your acne isn't bacterial, and if you're sensitive to it, you'll get really nice red peely inflamed skin, for example.

sorry for the minor essay there.
#9 Old 06-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Could it be an allergy to something new you are eating (or eating a lot more of) - like soy?
#10 Old 06-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't help you, but I'm having the same problem. I'm 20... have been vegetarian for 2 months, and I now have more acne than I have had in my entire life! Yuck!
#11 Old 06-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

i haven't either. sounds suspicious. what exactly did she say caused these mysterious crystals, Libera Mentis? i'm really interested. are you sure she doesn't have an agenda, and a vested interest in telling you horror stories about products which she doesn't directly profit from?

the one thing i can think of is the micro-beads in the exfoliating face wash getting trapped in pores somehow- which is easy to work around- just use a different exfoliant without beads. the facewash is a bit of a scam anyway cos the peroxide in it isn't on your skin long enough to do a whole lot- it needs to sit there long term like it does in the lotion, in order to kill bacteria. any old gentle exfoliant will unblock pores and remove dead skin and oil like the cleanser does.

but anyway- 2.5% benozyl peroxide used like it is in the lotion (left on in a gel format) can be really very effective if your acne is bacterial, and isn't problematic in itself as in ingredient (its just a disinfectant that works by flooding the pores with oxygen, and killing the bacteria in there- who dislike an oxygen rich environment) but there are other ways of using it than proactiv if its a big concern for you as a specific product.

proactiv can work very effectively and problem free for some people, and not for others. it'll do sod all if your acne isn't bacterial, and if you're sensitive to it, you'll get really nice red peely inflamed skin, for example.

sorry for the minor essay there.

No problem

I don't believe she had an agenda, it was a free facial that I had one at my school's project graduation. It may be she told me this and not your health spa because a) she's a dermatalogist, not an esthetician, b) she works with a lot of people with troubled skin, people who'd opt for trying Proactive, c) she has a lot of older patients, who exhibit signs of these crystals sooner and worse.

She showed me some of them. It was the same color and everything that you get whenever you routinely clean out your pores, but it was rock solid. She got them out using this weird metal tool with a whole on it that she pressed on my face, she said you couldn't get them out with fingers.

I don't really remember WHY she said these crystals form because it was two? years ago, but I was planning on going back to get another facial now that I can afford it ($70 effing dollars WITH insurance! lame). I'll put up a thread with my findings
#12 Old 06-11-2008, 11:27 AM

yeah. I've been eating alot of soy products, and tofu.. and alot of the food I eat now has oils in it, like vegetable, olive, and sunflower oils.
#13 Old 06-11-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libera Mentis View Post

No problem

I don't believe she had an agenda, it was a free facial that I had one at my school's project graduation. It may be she told me this and not your health spa because a) she's a dermatalogist, not an esthetician, b) she works with a lot of people with troubled skin, people who'd opt for trying Proactive, c) she has a lot of older patients, who exhibit signs of these crystals sooner and worse.

She showed me some of them. It was the same color and everything that you get whenever you routinely clean out your pores, but it was rock solid. She got them out using this weird metal tool with a whole on it that she pressed on my face, she said you couldn't get them out with fingers.

I don't really remember WHY she said these crystals form because it was two? years ago, but I was planning on going back to get another facial now that I can afford it ($70 effing dollars WITH insurance! lame). I'll put up a thread with my findings

I've never used proactive, my cousin Erica used it for a year, and it made half of her face break out TERRIBLY, and the other half was so-so.. and she started out with good skin, and just minor zits here and htere once in a while... so I'm officially scared of proactive now...
#14 Old 06-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by regiftedheart View Post

yeah. I've been eating alot of soy products, and tofu.. and alot of the food I eat now has oils in it, like vegetable, olive, and sunflower oils.

you could try cutting out soy for a few weeks, and seeing what happens.
#15 Old 06-12-2008, 02:07 PM

I think I'll try that.. I'll let you know what happens.. and where can I get witch hazel??
#16 Old 06-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

You can get it just about any drug store. CVS, Walgreens, Wal-Mart. I'm sure Target carries it too. Peace & Love!!
#17 Old 06-23-2008, 06:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

No way!!! Proactiv is vegan????

Since becoming vegan I am using up my Proactiv and have been wondering what the heck I'm going to use after it's gone that is vegan. Proactiv is awesome!

Are you sure it's vegan????????
#18 Old 06-24-2008, 06:35 AM

I am new as well to veg*nism and it has been about a month now. I eat a vegan diet. I have noticed the acne as well. But I am basing that on my body detoxifying itself from all the many years of being an omnivore and eating lots of fats and sweets too.

My thoughts is that this will pass as your body gets accustomed to your new diet and has cleared out your system. But I would treat the areas as you feel you need too. I have basically allowed it to just run its course. And hopefully this will change in the next couple of weeks. I HOPE!
#19 Old 06-27-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwysca View Post

No way!!! Proactiv is vegan????

Since becoming vegan I am using up my Proactiv and have been wondering what the heck I'm going to use after it's gone that is vegan. Proactiv is awesome!

Are you sure it's vegan????????

I was excited to read that too! I've been using Proactiv for 9 years now, and it is the ONLY thing that has ever worked for me.

(By the way... my face has yet to go back to the way it was before I used Proactiv, and I'm almost 10 years in... so we'll see what happens.)
#20 Old 06-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow I am hugely surprised at the support for pro-activ on here. It did not work for me AT ALL - it just dried up my face and didn't help my acne one bit. It also stained my towels, pillows and clothes - I can't help but think that anything strong enough to BLEACH CLOTHING should NOT be used on your face. It's also fairly overpriced and then they try to convince you that you need all these extra pro-activ products as well, not just the '3 step' program thing. Also had a lot of trouble cancelling my subscription...once you sign on it's hard to get out of it.

I realise every individual person experiences results differently...but I just wouldn't recommend it, I thought it was absolutely AWFUL.

The only thing that has ever worked for me is the contraceptive pill, and it has to be a pretty strong dose one - I realise this is not an ideal solution for everyone but I've never found a cream/product for acne treatment that has ever worked.
#21 Old 06-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.acnehelp.org.uk/dairy.htm

http://media.www.dailyutahchronicle....-2134807.shtml

Give up dairy!

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page