I feel like I'm starving to death. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Veggie Regular

So since I went vegetarian, I realized I never really get that completely, unable to walk, waddle out of the restaurant fullness I got after eating meat. At first I really liked it, I felt sharper, lighter, fitter, etc. but now I just feel hungry.

Since going veg, I've lost 10 pounds putting my 5'6 frame at roughly 95?lbs. When I ate meat, I was able to get by with my busy schedule by just eating out a lot, between work/school/etc, since I became a vegetarian I lost that ability since restaurants don't really cater to me, and you can only eat so many mushroom burgers, so I just started eating LaraBars to temporarily assuage the hunger until I go home and crash after a waitress shift at Chili's.

So maybe it's not that I feel like I'm starving myself to death, it's more like I am. Is there anything I can eat that's 1) easy/quick to make, 2) cheap, 3) filling? Did anyone else have this problem after going veg? How did you handle it? It also seems like the hunger is there even after I have 3-5 decent meals, it just won't go away!

I really can't afford to lose anymore weight. Not only is it unhealthy, but my breasts are next to go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Beginner

Peanut Butter and lots of carbs.
#3 Old 06-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Banned

What are you actually eating during the day Libera ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesand View Post

Please post a diary of a few days food, (including portion sizes).

Then we'll be able to give you some ideas on where you can add on, so you can keep your breasts as they are!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#5 Old 06-08-2008, 10:32 PM

Hi,

first off, congrats on starting your veggie journey. I have been a vegetarian for a mere month. doesn't sound like long but I have learned a lot in that period of time and experienced much of what you're feeling right now.

The first 3 weeks I was hungry all the time. I felt like I could never get full and was literally feeling weak and out of ideas of what to eat besides boca burgers, hummus sandwiches and fruit. I was under the mistaken impression that I needed to exist off of fake meats and only veggies/fruits (which are very low cal and burn off easily)

I was told that a meat-eaters digestive system is very different than a veggie's. Meat is harder to digest and takes excess energy to break down in the body(around 72 hrs) and that is why people get used to that full, bloated feeling. when your system no longer has to work so hard to break the meat down and you take in "cleaner" foods, your system has to literally revamp itself and get used to the process. it's normal to feel very hungry at first.

What I would suggest is getting out as many vegetarian cookbooks as you can and experimenting with different recipes. you will quickly find that there are many filling meals that will not leave you feeling so unsatiated. you need beans, rice, legumes (lentils,etc) in your diet for sure. please check out a book on making sure you are getting proper nurtrients. i assure you all of this will get much easier.
#6 Old 06-09-2008, 01:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesand View Post

Forgot that information was kind of important :X

Let's see, on a good day I'd have:

B: Usually don't have it, usually a glass of rice/soy/dairy milk, a protein shake, or a LaraBar if anything.

L: Mushroom burger w/ a side (1 large portobella)

D: Pasta primavera (2 bowls)

On my worst day I'd have:

B: Nothing

L: 20 oz protein smoothie and meal replacement bar

D: Leftover Mediterranean pasta (1 bowl)

Everything else falls between there, with little snacks added to supplement hunger. I just can't seem to stay full! I think a post I hadn't gotten to yet addressed this, so I'll check that out
#7 Old 06-09-2008, 01:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulheart View Post

Hi,

first off, congrats on starting your veggie journey. I have been a vegetarian for a mere month. doesn't sound like long but I have learned a lot in that period of time and experienced much of what you're feeling right now.

The first 3 weeks I was hungry all the time. I felt like I could never get full and was literally feeling weak and out of ideas of what to eat besides boca burgers, hummus sandwiches and fruit. I was under the mistaken impression that I needed to exist off of fake meats and only veggies/fruits (which are very low cal and burn off easily)

I was told that a meat-eaters digestive system is very different than a veggie's. Meat is harder to digest and takes excess energy to break down in the body(around 72 hrs) and that is why people get used to that full, bloated feeling. when your system no longer has to work so hard to break the meat down and you take in "cleaner" foods, your system has to literally revamp itself and get used to the process. it's normal to feel very hungry at first.

What I would suggest is getting out as many vegetarian cookbooks as you can and experimenting with different recipes. you will quickly find that there are many filling meals that will not leave you feeling so unsatiated. you need beans, rice, legumes (lentils,etc) in your diet for sure. please check out a book on making sure you are getting proper nurtrients. i assure you all of this will get much easier.

This was a really really helpful post. I kind of remember hearing about this in elementary school, something about how herbivorous dinosaurs were always eating cause they were always hungry, but carnivorous dinosaurs could get by only eating a little bit, cause if they couldn't they'd eat all the herbivorous dinosaurs! Yeah, you put it a bit better.

I have some cookbooks, it's just difficult to find time to look through it, let alone cook it. I need to find a good way to eat beans and rice, I always seem to get it wrong!

Thanks again for the good reply
#8 Old 06-09-2008, 02:35 AM

Well when you go out to eat you can always order foods that normally have meat like sandwhiches or fietas or whatever just ask for it with no meat it worked for me
#9 Old 06-09-2008, 03:13 AM
Veggie Regular

With you being such an intellectual giant in comparison to everyone else around you, I would have thought you'd be able to work out that you just need more carbs + protein + good fats.
#10 Old 06-09-2008, 03:19 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libera Mentis View Post

I have some cookbooks, it's just difficult to find time to look through it, let alone cook it. I need to find a good way to eat beans and rice

I feel for you. We're all so busy, sometimes it's hard to eat right.

What worked for me was to use a very small crockpot,(like $9 at Target) that way beans could cook while I'm at work. I keep a variety of grains & legumes cooked and ready to go in the refrigerator, and when it's dinner time, I just mix & match them with other ingredients to make little dinner bowls that I can just pop in the microwave. Like beans, rice & salsa or lentils/quinoa with chopped frozen veggies and Italian dressing, etc.
#11 Old 06-09-2008, 04:04 AM
Banned

Quote:

B: Usually don't have it, usually a glass of rice/soy/dairy milk, a protein shake, or a LaraBar if anything.

Everything else falls between there, with little snacks added to supplement hunger. I just can't seem to stay full! I think a post I hadn't gotten to yet addressed this, so I'll check that out

Oh heck Libera , even on a good day you are way of the mark .

Can you try and bulk up your main meals , it will take away the need to be snacking during the day

Breakfast (if you are a breakfast person ) you could try granola or porridge with fruit or maybe some wholemeal toast , finished off with your smoothie

Lunch , you could make up some pita bread in the mourning , full them up with cheese , tofu , hummus , salad , what ever your fancy .

Evening meal ....cant work out if you eat at home before work . Two bowls of pasta is o/k , but will get boring after a while . There are two minute rice dishes and as suggested , a crock pot to get some bean dishes going . You might have to get your cook books out .

Restaurants are easy , go and see the chef (not the manager or waitress ) and politely tell him/her you are veg and what could he prepare for you ....I have never had a knock back yet and had some amazing vegetarian meals served up .
#12 Old 06-09-2008, 04:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I need to find a good way to eat beans and rice, I always seem to get it wrong!

Have you tried using a spoon?
#13 Old 06-09-2008, 06:11 AM
Veggie Regular

No wonder you feel like you are starving. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you're not eating enough food.

You should eat breakfast. Soak some museli in apple juice or orange juice overnight. Then it is softened and ready to go in the morning. Or eat a bowl of brown rice or quinoa that you cooked up the night before.

I'm sorry but the "I'm so busy I don't have time to cook" excuse is nonsense. Everyone is busy. We all have demanding lives. Cooking beans or whole grains isn't overly time consuming as these are things that go into the pot, are watched for a few minutes then turned onto a low heat and just simmer away. Same thing with most soups. Invest in a small slow-cooker so you can cook when you aren't even home. Carve out some time one or two days a week to pre-cook grains and beans.

There are a lot of ways to eat healthy and quick.

A couple decent cookbooks for that are:

Student's Vegetarian Cookbook by Carole Raymond

20 Minutes to Dinner by Bryanna Clark Grogan

Kids Can Press: The Jumbo Vegetarian Cookbook by Judi Gillies and Jennifer Glossop

Yes, the last book is designed for kids - but it is full of tasty vegetarian and vegan recipes designed to be made by kids so they're simple and quick.

Try using more olive oil, flaxseed oil and other healthy fats.

And if you need to, eat some snacks that are higher in fat or calories, like nuts and nut butters.

If you haven't read them I strongly suggest either Becoming Vegetarian or Becoming Vegan by Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina. These books can really help you get a handle on healthy veg*n eating.

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
#14 Old 06-09-2008, 08:17 AM
Veggie Regular

If you're hungry, eat more food. DO NOT EVER SKIP MEALS!!! You definitely need more fat and protein in your life. Nuts are great for that.
#15 Old 06-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybaritik View Post

With you being such an intellectual giant in comparison to everyone else around you, I would have thought you'd be able to work out that you just need more carbs + protein + good fats.

Craving intellectual stimulation has nothing to do with common sense. And common sense is something I will admit I lack greatly You should have seen me the first time I had to pump gas after getting my car, I couldn't figure out how to get the thing open for... fifteen minutes. ^^; Good thing I bike for the most part now.

Quinoa: Oh yes. But it seems no matter how many times I stab my meal with it, it just doesn't work =/

um whatever: Oh a crockpot, that's a really good idea I have a rice cooker, but I just feel uncomfortable putting anything but rice and veggies in it (hard to wash out).

Bluesand: Hummus! I forgot about hummus, that would be a very good lunch. I'm trying to become a breakfast eating person, but it seems whenever I eat before 10am I tend to throw it back up later. I've been trying to have small things in the morning (like half-smoothies) and build myself up to real meals.

MrsKey: I have the Student one, which is good but some of the recipes in there are bland sometimes , and I'll check out the other two. Thanks, yeah I'm looking for crockpots right now.

<3
#16 Old 06-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

MrsKey: I have the Student one, which is good but some of the recipes in there are bland sometimes , and I'll check out the other two. Thanks, yeah I'm looking for crockpots right now.

<3

Recipes are just an idea and a starting point. If the recipe is too bland for your tastes start adding other herbs, spices or vegetables. For example it really doesn't take much to turn a bland marinara into a zippy marinara with the liberal application of crushed red pepper flakes and some extra garlic.

I rarely make a recipe from the original recipe with no variations. I make it once as printed and then as I'm eating it I think of 101 ways to improve/change/vary the recipe. Time to get creative!

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
#17 Old 06-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Sorry Libera, I did not realise this really is so serious.

+1 what MrsKey said.
#18 Old 06-09-2008, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Libera, I can definitely relate. I've been veg for about two months.

When I was an omni, it's not like I ate a regular/balanced diet either, it's just that a burger on the go would quickly fill me up even though I hadn't had three balanced meals in a day.

As a veggie, it's harder to find quick foods to really fill you up (and especially considering I really don't do a lot of breads/pasta it's really difficult)...so you have to plan more.

I have lost 15 pounds since going veg but I think it's beginning to stabilize. I'm worried about my boobs too.

I know this is a no-no, but I'm thinking of incorporating a bit more dairy into my diet (now it's the occasional cheese) though now I've become sort of grossed out by moo milk.
#19 Old 06-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I also hear you're a server, that also explains a lot. I'm a server too.

If you work a double, that's 11-14 hours on your freakin' feet running back and forth. You burn mucho calories, and when you grab a bite to eat, it has to be quick and substantial.

When I worked at Hooters I would eat buffalo chicken strips (breaded, fried chicken soaked in butter and hot sauce) and onion rings for my staff meal.

Now going veg and working at a vegan place, the staff meal is like salad with balsamic vinegar with some marinated mushrooms. Very very yummy but when you're burning calories like a crazy person, not very filling.

Add to that you work at Chili's, where you can barely eat anything at all (since it really isn't veg friendly). I feel really bad. Whenever I've worked a lot, you wind up consuming many more staff meals than meals at home...if you really don't have anything to eat at work, that must be really, really disconcerting and uncomfortable for you.
#20 Old 06-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Forgot that information was kind of important :X

You don't FEEL like you are starving, you ARE starving. The term vegetarian means you literally eat lots and lots of fruits and veggies, where are they? Where are the whole grains? Where are the good oils found in olive oil, safflower oil, nuts, guacamole, type foods? Is that white pasta?

Jeepers, gal, you need some ideas, check my blog!
#21 Old 06-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccolichick View Post

I also hear you're a server, that also explains a lot. I'm a server too.

If you work a double, that's 11-14 hours on your freakin' feet running back and forth. You burn mucho calories, and when you grab a bite to eat, it has to be quick and substantial.

When I worked at Hooters I would eat buffalo chicken strips (breaded, fried chicken soaked in butter and hot sauce) and onion rings for my staff meal.

Now going veg and working at a vegan place, the staff meal is like salad with balsamic vinegar with some marinated mushrooms. Very very yummy but when you're burning calories like a crazy person, not very filling.

Add to that you work at Chili's, where you can barely eat anything at all (since it really isn't veg friendly). I feel really bad. Whenever I've worked a lot, you wind up consuming many more staff meals than meals at home...if you really don't have anything to eat at work, that must be really, really disconcerting and uncomfortable for you.

Exactly! That's my entire dilemma! This incredible hunger didn't kick in until I got a job, and since Chili's is understaffed right now, I'm working two or more doubles a week, going in at 11AM and getting out at 12AM. I've been living off mushroom/black bean burgers, salads, and artichoke spinach dip, but it's getting so so so so so so sooooooo old. I'm really glad someone else understands how hard it is to find any alone time when you're a server. You make good money, but the only thing you really do at home is get ready from work in the morning and sleep at night.

I can use the Crockpot at home, but what do you guys think about portable meals? I'll have a refrigerator/freezer/microwave in easy access, but not really anything else because the managers may get pissy if I ask the cook to make me a veggieburger or something.

Quinoa: Don't worry at all =P For the longest time I attempted eating rice with a fork, out of stubbornness I guess.

MrsKey: Now the trick is making eat, being creative, and not killing it. I actually never cooked a (whole) meal for myself until I went veg, cause raw meat realllllllly creeped me out. I'm getting all this stuff down for the first time.

ItsVeggieTime: NICE BLOG! I didn't know about that, it looks so helpful! I have a feeling our diets may start being very similar<3
#22 Old 06-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Exactly! That's my entire dilemma! This incredible hunger didn't kick in until I got a job, and since Chili's is understaffed right now, I'm working two or more doubles a week, going in at 11AM and getting out at 12AM. I've been living off mushroom/black bean burgers, salads, and artichoke spinach dip, but it's getting so so so so so so sooooooo old. I'm really glad someone else understands how hard it is to find any alone time when you're a server. You make good money, but the only thing you really do at home is get ready from work in the morning and sleep at night.

It's true, most people here can give you good advice but when you working freakin' doubles all the time, sometimes you are so tired that you don't have time to plan a well-balanced diet or even get enough calories. And seeing that you burn so many being on your feet for that long, it's extra important. Even heating fake chicken nuggets in the oven I get too tired to stand, I'm not even kidding. I've started taking a multivitamin. They are expensive but you have to make sure you get your nutrients.
#23 Old 06-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I know how it is to work in a restaurant. It's just easier to eat their food, even if it gets repetitive, and it's not very nutritious.

Given time, you'll find plenty of things that work for you, but I don't want you to starve in the meantime.

There are plenty of really quick foods you can make that are nutritious and delicious. It will require a bit of trial and error, and grocery shopping though. You have to do it, even if you are tired and working all the time. Find an hour or so to head to the grocery store, either before work or on a day off.

Here are a few ideas for you:

Breakfast:

Instant oatmeal (I like the Nature's path brand) - then just throw in some milled flax seeds or chopped walnuts for good fats, and maybe 1/2 a banana sliced or a handful of berries.

You could also do the same with some granola and soymilk, or soygurt.

Amy's burrito's - the bean and rice ones are great for any meal, breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Lunch/ Dinner (which you could bring to work):

Any kind of wrap, pita or sandwich bread, filled with some veggies and protein.

Examples:

hummus, tomato and avocado (and fake bacon if you so desire)

Veggie cream cheese (whatever brand you like), cucumbers, sprouts and tomatoes

Veggie deli meats + veggies

Mock tuna salad - here's an addictive recipe: https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ock+tuna+salad

Or, for non sandwich ideas:

Some crackers, cut up veggies, dip (hummus, babaganoush, mushroom pate) and some pieces of fruit

Edamame and veggie sushi?

Be sure to always have a luna bar, or some nuts with you.

You do need more calories, fat, protein and whole grains in your diet.

It will take work right now, but just do lots of research and I promise, it will get easier.

Read VB, some different food blogs, check out the book 'Becoming Vegetarian' by Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina for more recipes and nutritional info.

Keep asking questions.

Like I said, it will get easier. It's just a matter of keeping you healthy until then.

Most of the meals I cook take me under 10 mins prep time. It can be done

#24 Old 06-09-2008, 03:53 PM

breakfast:

smoothies with soy/rice milk.

-You could whip up a peanut butter/banana/rice milk smoothie for breakfast. (don't know if you're a fan of that combo tho)

and/or

-a bowl of fortified cereal with rice/soy milk and add some bananas on top.

(maybe on days off you could spend a little time making some muffins, banana bread, etc. (dang what's with all the bananas? lol) to take with u to work

-freeze ahead burritos. they have a recipe on here for spicy black beans and rice. u can garnish with whatever u like. wrap them and freeze extras

make sure you have plenty of fresh veggies/fruit so that you are not getting "diluted" nutrition from cooking everything

you can also try "amy's" frozen foods. they are a bit pricy but it may be just the thing when ur exhausted and don't know what to cook.
#25 Old 06-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Synergy, that's a great idea!

I forget that the restaurant has sooo many ingredients already, that I only have to bring stuff to supplement it. So if I bring hummus and pita bread, I can just have the cooks hook me up with some sauteed vegetables or something to stick in it

Sushi is a good call, I can definitely store that in the fridge.

Your post got me thinking, I have so many more resources than I thought I did! Thanks<333

BroccoliChick: Yep, I'm taking a multivitamin with iron/b12 daily, it really is a nice pick me up to get 1500% of your daily b12 in at one time :X

GratfulHeart: I've actually never tried Amy's stuff, I've been meaning to though. I may just have to give it a go. And yeah you're right, I haven't had a fruit in ages >.>
#26 Old 06-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Synergy, that's a great idea!

I forget that the restaurant has sooo many ingredients already, that I only have to bring stuff to supplement it. So if I bring hummus and pita bread, I can just have the cooks hook me up with some sauteed vegetables or something to stick in it

I do that a lot. I bring in the protein, and sometimes the grain, and then just eat the fruits and veggies from work.

Glad you're getting some ideas!!!

Oh, and Gratefulheart's freeze ahead burrito thing works really well. I tend to do this every few months. I make about 12-15 rice and bean burritos in sprouted grain tortillas and then freeze them individually in ziplocks.

#27 Old 06-09-2008, 04:26 PM

I used to live on peanut butter sandwiches when I was a young undergraduate with no money. Obviously I preferred then and prefer now to vary my diet, but peanut butter sandwiches at least made me feel full when I couldn't afford much else. I don't recommend it nutritionally, though.
#28 Old 06-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranberryavocad View Post

I used to live on peanut butter sandwiches when I was a young undergraduate with no money. Obviously I preferred then and prefer now to vary my diet, but peanut butter sandwiches at least made me feel full when I couldn't afford much else. I don't recommend it nutritionally, though.

You know, my great grandparents ate A LOT of naturaly peanut butter (oil on top) and they both lived to be 103 AND they both stayed home and kept house till 101!
#29 Old 06-10-2008, 05:37 AM

i've only been vegetarian for 3 weeks.

and i do get what you mean about feeling full etc.

meals in general aren't as filling as the ones you ate before.

so i know i end up snacking more than i used to i think, and it's hardly ever healthy stuff! eep. just to keep myself full. thats probably why i havent lost that much weight.....

i think i'm going to have to get the 'Becoming Vegetarian' by Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina book that everyone seems to rave about.

but living with omnis generally makes cooking something completely diffferent for me a pain, it generally just feels easier to eat the same as them, but replace meat for fake meat, but let's face it, i can't do that forever!
#30 Old 06-10-2008, 06:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Holly* View Post

i've only been vegetarian for 3 weeks.

and i do get what you mean about feeling full etc.

meals in general aren't as filling as the ones you ate before.

so i know i end up snacking more than i used to i think, and it's hardly ever healthy stuff! eep. just to keep myself full. thats probably why i havent lost that much weight.....

i think i'm going to have to get the 'Becoming Vegetarian' by Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina book that everyone seems to rave about.

but living with omnis generally makes cooking something completely diffferent for me a pain, it generally just feels easier to eat the same as them, but replace meat for fake meat, but let's face it, i can't do that forever!

If your meals aren't filling then you probably aren't eating balanced meals. If my large (not fat) omni bf has no problem feeling full and satisfied on well prepared, well balanced veg*n food, I can't imagine anyone would.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page