Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-28-2008, 04:07 AM
Veggie Regular

heya

just a quick thought....

i know there are some TERRIBLE slaughterhouses in the states and stuff

but are all slaughterhouses the same?

even in nz...

people (meat eaters) keep telling me its not the same in new zealand..and that they are 'not allowed' to do that to animals.

Please insight me?

x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-28-2008, 04:39 AM
Veggie Regular

heya

there are plenty of practices which occur in the USA and other countries which are outlawed in Australia and NZ (amongst other countries). For example, in Australia it is illegal to debeak birds, and different animals must have a certain amount of living space.

However the only way to know is to visit the farms and the slaughterhouses yourself and see it with your own eyes. What happens there may well occur outside the law and "mistakes" happen, for example, animals not being killed in the "correct" way.

If you need proof, go and see for yourself. I believe you shouldn't eat anything unless you know where it has come from.

ETA: In Peter Singer's book which he wrote with Jim Mason (an Aussie), "The Ethics of What We Eat", they discuss Australian farming practices extensively, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were similar in NZ, but I am not sure.
#3 Old 05-28-2008, 04:52 AM
law
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin84 View Post

heya

there are plenty of practices which occur in the USA and other countries which are outlawed in Australia and NZ (amongst other countries). For example, in Australia it is illegal to debeak birds, and different animals must have a certain amount of living space.

Im in Australia and a few years ago my uncle de beaked chooks. Have laws changed or something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-28-2008, 04:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by law View Post

Im in Australia and a few years ago my uncle de beaked chooks. Have laws changed or something?

Honestly I haven't read the legislation itself but I have read other books which suggest it is illegal.

See this is that I mean when I saw you should see for yourself! You just don't know whats going on, maybe it is legal?
#5 Old 05-28-2008, 05:15 AM
Veggie Regular

MY DEAR LORD LOOK WHAT I FOUND

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43cTvd9otOc

IN

NEW

ZEALAND

i feel like crying...

i think ive just turned vegan again...

#6 Old 05-28-2008, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Yvette.... I doubt this is a relevant answer, but no matter how humane you made a slaughterhouse, it would still be bad.

Let's say that next year, you're scheduled to die. We're going to put you up in a mansion, you'll have the most comfortable bed you've ever had, and everyday will be a great vacation doing all the things you love. The only condition is you must be killed painlessly on this exact day next year. Do you agree? You're of no use when you're older -- your meat will be too tough. Has to be next year.

That said, I think there's always going to be a discrepancy between what is legal and what actually happens at slaughterhouses no matter what locality you're referring to. They're bad for the animals, the workers, the consumer, and the environment. There's really just not much of a way around that.

On that note, congrats on becoming vegan again. Everything we do counts in a big way.
#7 Old 05-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Hi Yvette.... I doubt this is a relevant answer, but no matter how humane you made a slaughterhouse, it would still be bad.

Let's say that next year, you're scheduled to die. We're going to put you up in a mansion, you'll have the most comfortable bed you've ever had, and everyday will be a great vacation doing all the things you love. The only condition is you must be killed painlessly on this exact day next year. Do you agree? You're of no use when you're older -- your meat will be too tough. Has to be next year.

That said, I think there's always going to be a discrepancy between what is legal and what actually happens at slaughterhouses no matter what locality you're referring to. They're bad for the animals, the workers, the consumer, and the environment. There's really just not much of a way around that.

On that note, congrats on becoming vegan again. Everything we do counts in a big way.

Agreed. I decided to go veg because I couldn't stand the thought of killing animals. I honestly didn't know anything about factory farming and how bad it is until after I'd made the decision. When I started looking for vegetarian web sites and books for food ideas, that's when I ran across all the info about the cruelty of farming methods.

--Fromper

#8 Old 05-29-2008, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

It's physically impossible for a slaughterhouse not to be bad.
#9 Old 05-29-2008, 06:19 PM
Veggie Regular

"Hey... wait a second... they told me killing these animals was cool and normal, and that the animals didn't mind! What the... !"

Don't feel too bad or be too hard on yourself. The meat industry and meat-eating society have brainwashed people very much. Some even believe there are "humane" ways to murder an animal. Are there humane ways to murder a human? IMHO only in cases of euthanasia, where the human requests it.
#10 Old 05-29-2008, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

If they're better we should could start calling them happy-fun-death-houses.
#11 Old 05-29-2008, 09:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by abroadinSacto View Post

If they're better we should could start calling them happy-fun-death-houses.

"Class, the trip to 6 Flags has been cancelled. Instead we are taking a trip to a happy-fun-death-house!"
#12 Old 05-30-2008, 12:24 AM
Veggie Regular

i know i know...

my dad used to work in a slaughterhouse back in the day he said..

he was the stunner...

said 'humans need to eat meat'

'youre better for health to eat meat'

'you gotta kill the animal'

Makes me kind of ashamed too...
#13 Old 05-30-2008, 12:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Don't feel ashamed. You're not responsible for your father's beliefs and values.

I doubt your father would want you to work in that capacity. I am not suggesting you ask him unless you're ready for a very uncomfortable conversation.
#14 Old 05-30-2008, 12:42 AM
Veggie Regular

yeah he told me (because he did this YEARS AGO)

that it was really really good money, he was earning more than his father.

And his uncle was in the slaughterhouses, that my dad was sick for a while from doing it, said he just couldnt do it..but i gues they toughend him up and he was finally able to do it.

I understand, i guess...it just makes me a little sad that he contributed to this...

But his decision is his own, as he knows my decision is my own, and he doesnt force me to eat meat, just gives his little opinions, and remarks that im being silly..

nothing i cant handle tho...
#15 Old 05-30-2008, 01:15 AM
Banned

Per head of (human ) population , NZ would have the most slaughterhouses in the world .
#16 Old 05-30-2008, 01:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesand View Post

Per head of (human ) population , NZ would have the most slaughterhouses in the world .

I'm curious - is it mostly pork? In the days of the big British Empire, many enterprising Maori communities developed huge hog-farms to supply the British fleet with cured hams when they came to provision. It was a great deal for the Maoris and the British because it was the perfect supply stop for the Royal Navy.
#17 Old 05-30-2008, 02:33 AM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin84 View Post

in Australia it is illegal to debeak birds,

According to this site:

'The beak of a normal chicken has complex and sensitive nerve structure/system. Chicks have half of their upper beak and one third of their lower beak sliced off with a hot wire to prevent cannibalism, caused by the intensive conditions under which the birds are kept, and this causes them lifelong pain'.
#18 Old 05-30-2008, 02:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by abroadinSacto View Post

I'm curious - is it mostly pork? In the days of the big British Empire, many enterprising Maori communities developed huge hog-farms to supply the British fleet with cured hams when they came to provision. It was a great deal for the Maoris and the British because it was the perfect supply stop for the Royal Navy.

Well the sun has set on the British Empire . Maori were natural business people (2,000) canoes in Auckland harbor to stock incoming ships with provisions per year. They had coastal shipping , dairy farms ...it did not all go down to well with some of the settlers .

The supply of the British fleet you mentioned was probably the arrival of the infantry shipped here at the start of the Maori wars , about 1860 . There were more infantry (about 7,000 then ) than there is in our Army today .

Today NZ has about 38 million sheep , just over 5.2 million dairy and 4.8 million cattle , sorry don't know the pork or deer numbers . We did manage to get get up to 70 million sheep in the 1980's .

So for a population of 4 million people , you can see , NZ is one big slaughterhouse .
#19 Old 05-30-2008, 02:45 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvettemelissa View Post

heya

just a quick thought....

i know there are some TERRIBLE slaughterhouses in the states and stuff

but are all slaughterhouses the same?

even in nz...

people (meat eaters) keep telling me its not the same in new zealand..and that they are 'not allowed' to do that to animals.

Please insight me?

x

"Not allowed" to do "that"? What is that? Kill them? Yes, they still kill animals in NZ slaughterhouses. That's pretty TERRIBLE as far as I'm concerned.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#20 Old 05-30-2008, 02:51 AM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

"Not allowed" to do "that"? What is that? Kill them? Yes, they still kill animals in NZ slaughterhouses. That's pretty TERRIBLE as far as I'm concerned.

The cruelest slaughterhouses in Aotearoa / New Zealand employ Bluesand to talk to the animals, thus boring them to death, which is the most inhumane way to die that I can imagine.
#21 Old 05-30-2008, 03:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bof View Post

The cruelest slaughterhouses in Aotearoa / New Zealand employ Bluesand to talk to the animals, thus boring them to death, which is the most inhumane way to die that I can imagine.

Its better than you singing waltzing matilda , like you do to your poor pets and that python in your garage Bof ...oh the suffering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page