Atkins Diet -> Vegetarian - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-13-2008, 09:45 PM

OK....I have a lot to thank Dr. Atkins for. I ran the Atkins diet down from 310lbs to 199. However, years later I'm 230. I want to lose 20 lbs. However, I am also sick of eating animals. I've been thinking more and more about becoming a vegetarian. But....I'm afraid. I was a veg once for 6 months and put on 40lbs.

How can I become a vegetarian, eat some carbs, and still lose weight? Is it posted somewhere on here? I've been searching, but I'm afraid. I really, really want a vegetarian lifestyle - but I'm quite concerned.

I'd love any/all advice.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-13-2008, 10:05 PM
Veggie Regular

What were you mainly eating when you gained that 40 lbs? If you replace meat with nothing but starches and fat, then yes, you may gain some weight. I would suggest more of a "whole foods" approach..veggies, fruit, whole grains, legumes, etc.
#3 Old 05-13-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsteriffic View Post

What were you mainly eating when you gained that 40 lbs? If you replace meat with nothing but starches and fat, then yes, you may gain some weight. I would suggest more of a "whole foods" approach..veggies, fruit, whole grains, legumes, etc.

Good question - idiotic things. "I'll pass on teh lean chicken and just eat the fries". But, truth be told, I'm one of those guys the "low carb" thing works GREAT for. I'm also much, much better at having a diet "theory".

I need to start Atkins again, but the idea of going into a "flesh fest" of eating is just unpalatable. I've discovered Morningstar products - turned my kids onto "faux" nuggets - and would love the food choices. Our freezer is filled w/steamed veg packets. But - I'm afraid I'll blow up w/o Atkins. I've even tried to read the "low carb" vegetarian books - but that looks REALLY restrictive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Atkins diet is not a healthy diet at all sorry

It may have made you lose weight, but weight isn't the only thing about being healthy. Meat is full of bad things that lead to diseases like heart disease, cancer...etc.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#5 Old 05-14-2008, 12:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd have to agree with doktormartini - a high protein and low carbohydrate diet (even devoid of animal products) is not healthy. Virtually all healthy populations throughout history have eaten a starch-based diet with the addition of vegetables, fruits and very small amounts of meat or fish. Chinese, Japanese, Okinawan, many other Asian and African people are examples who still eat this way in more rural areas (the urban areas eat a more Western diet and their diseases are also more Western). There are only about two populations I can think of who eat high protein/low carbohydrate diet (Masai and Inuit) and their life expectancy - even after adjusting for infant mortality - is around 50. They have atherosclerosis and the Inuit develop osteoporosis in their thirties and forties. Not exactly who I want as a role model for health.

Nutrition as prescribed by Pritikin, PCRM and Drs Ornish, Campbell, Esselstyn, Kempner or McDougall and many others is consistent with science, empirical research and with epidemiological studies. They all recommend a lowfat whole foods plant-based diet. If you haven't totally made your mind up, you may want to read some of the following:

Research studies 'supporting' Atkins

Atkins was unhealthy and obese himself

Atkins Is Better Than Ornish, Stanford Study Says Scroll about halfway down to read an analysis of the study.

Analysis of Health Problems Associated with High-Protein, High-Fat, Carbohydrate-Restricted Diets

The Controversy Over Dr. Atkins’ Health

And last but not least, The China Study by T Colin Campbell should be required reading for everyone - especially people who feel that they are/want to be knowledgeable about nutrition and its role in health and disease.

You may or may not be open to an alternative to Atkins - one that is genuinely healthy and consistently shown to be the dietary basis for peoples who suffer from heart disease, cancers, strokes, osteoporosis, obesity, diabetes, asthma and so many other diseases at a mere fraction of the rate that is considered 'normal' for the US and England and Australia and Denmark and so on. But perhaps you are open to it, or someone else reading this may be.

Good luck however you choose to go.
#6 Old 05-14-2008, 12:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiethinker View Post

I've discovered Morningstar products - turned my kids onto "faux" nuggets - and would love the food choices. Our freezer is filled w/steamed veg packets.

Eating that stuff should really be considered 'fast food'. It's very overprocessed, and while it may be healthier than a high protein, low carb diet, it's certainly not ideal to be eating lots of faux meats all the time.

Try fresh fruits and vegetables. Whole grains. Carbs aren't bad! You need carbohydrates! You just need to learn to eat the good stuff, not the bad stuff.
#7 Old 05-14-2008, 12:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm so stupid. I should've asked.

How active are you? Many people simply cannot lose weight (in a healthy way) with just a diet change. Exercise is a must, of course.
#8 Old 05-14-2008, 12:40 AM
Veggie Regular

First, congratulations on losing over 100 pounds!!! That's an amazing accomplishment and you should be proud of yourself!

Seriously give a low-fat, whole foods diet a shot. One thing that the Atkins people do right is watch out for things like sugar and white flour but instead of the flesh fest, choose foods like whole grains (brown rice, oatmeal, etc), fruits, vegetables and beans. If you center your meals around those things, it's really hard to eat to much. With fats, stick to the healthy ones like flax seed, olive oil, avocados and nuts (avoid saturated fats as best as you can). Keep those in moderation while you're trying to lose weight. Try to keep your fats to around 20% of your calories. Try to avoid packaged foods. Make as much stuff yourself as you can. If you have to actually go in the kitchen and cook something, you might decide that you really didn't want a snack that much.

And make sure you exercise too. Exercise makes a HUGE difference.
#9 Old 05-14-2008, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular

For me, I would not have been able to make the leap to vegetarianism without all the burgers/patties on the market. If you don't know anything yet, you can't know it before you know it. I am STILL trying to make a seitan that doesn't taste like rubber, and I will do it, soon I hope! Anyway, if you quit eating meat and think the replacement for it is cheese and starch, that would put weight on anyone who makes that their main food source. I will tell you some of the things I use to help create my meals that may be available in your area, too:

As you might remember, I've always liked WW whole wheat and the low carb flat outs. Excuse the weight watcher point references, I copying these from an email to a friend who is doing the program with me. I have found these worth including:

Joseph's Flax, Oat Bran & Whole Wheat Flour Pita - found on a small shelf in front of the Deli at Walmart. One round, that is cut in half, produces 2 pitas, and it's 1pt for both.

Low Carb FlatOuts - found in the same area as the above, at Walmart, and only 1 pt while something like 10 fibers!

BeefSteak German Rye Bread (small, and very dark) - it has the red & white gingham looking wrapper. 2 slc=1pt.

Of course, weight watcher whole wheat bread, which also gives you the 2slices for the calories/points of one regular breads.

In the section where baked beans would be, I found Kroger Vegetarian Beans, that look like Pork & Beans, but no pork. I also found Bush's Vegetarian Baked Beans! In the same aisle as Dinty Moore stuff, I found Hormel Vegetarian Chili! Just remember to check any bean product for animal products, like broth or gelatin.
#10 Old 05-14-2008, 09:51 AM

Whilst I would never condone anyoe following the Atkin's Diet, how about replacing meat with high protein tofu, tempeh and seitan. You could also include your faux meats but in moderation?

The V-Plan diet by Viva! could be what you are looking for instead:

http://www.vegetarian.org.uk/vplantour/index.html
#11 Old 05-14-2008, 10:16 AM
Banned

I have to echo what everyone else has said, the Atkin's diet is unhealthy whether you include meat in it or not.

Losing weight as a veggie is exactly the same as losing weight as an omni. Eat a healthy balanced diet, including carbs. Don't replace meat with cheese - I think this is why I haven't lost weight yet - and try and base meals on vegetables or legumes rather than around cheese/processed "meats" or veggie burgers.
#12 Old 05-14-2008, 10:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrrple View Post

How active are you? Many people simply cannot lose weight (in a healthy way) with just a diet change. Exercise is a must, of course.

I've been thinking about this. Why would overweight people not be able to lose weight by consuming less calories than they expend, assuming they're not eating so little they go into starvation mode? I can't see how that wouldn't work unless they were exercising too, can someone enlighten me?
#13 Old 05-14-2008, 11:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Congrats on the loss! I was on Atkins for a year. While many say that it's unhealthy, I drastically brought down my triglycerides, LDL, raised HDL, got off my blood pressure meds, and all diabetes meds. I lost 112 lbs. I'm a live and let live person.

I'm not here to turn this thread into a pro vs con Atkins thing, so please don't flame it. I'm just trying to show him/her I know where he/she's coming from.

That being said, I'm obviously not on it anymore. For me Atkins put me in a type of "eating disorder mindset" with being paranoid of carbs, etc. I don' know how else to explain it.

I'm now vegan and have been for a week after wrestling w. southbeach for a year. I love it and don't miss the meat or dairy at all. I know it's hard to get out of the "carbs are bad" mindset. That will lessen with time. Please give this time and I hopefully it will be what you want/need.

Just as in Atkins, you should eat whole fresh foods and reduce or eliminate processed foods. Don't feel the need to pack in the protein w/ eggs & dairy. Stay to veggies, fruit, and whole grain, and go light on eggs and dairy, and watch your fat intake if you want to lose. I am losing.

I also second getting "The China Study" it's an amazing book.
#14 Old 05-14-2008, 11:11 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorzelGummidge View Post

I've been thinking about this. Why would overweight people not be able to lose weight by consuming less calories than they expend, assuming they're not eating so little they go into starvation mode? I can't see how that wouldn't work unless they were exercising too, can someone enlighten me?

Because the calories in verces calories out therory is flawed, very very flawed.

The human body is far more complex than to be counted a simple exchange of energy.

The main problem with food and body weight is not just how much or little you eat but also how your body responds.

Everything I eat low carb or not refined or not causes a massive flood of insulin in my body, insulin as everyone knows is labled the "fat" hormone because it makes your body cling to that fat.

I take medication to control mine, and allow my cells to use it hence the ability to suddenly lose weight YAY!

Now sure I am a diabetic but people without diabeties also have insulin issues as in thier body is resistant to it, insulin resistance they say is caused by a high carb diet mostly the culprit is refined carbs.

Anyway back to insulin, if your cells do not use it properly and most obese people have insulin resistance then they are not useing calories properly, instead of it being converted to energy it is being stored as fat and you do not have to overeat for this to happen it gets stored as fat before it even gets a chance to be used.

Most people think insulin resistance means diabeties but no, it is a steping stone for sure but you do not have to have diabeties to have it.

Anyway a quick look around on metibolic syndroms can exsplain it better than I can by far.

What I can tell you is, I'm fat, I'm fat, vegan, exercise daily eat a whole foods diet mostly raw and take in about 2.3k calories a day now and loseing weight on it were before I took in no more than 1400 a day and just got fatter.

Doctors like to say diet and exercise will work on everyone but the fact is it only works if your body is normal to start with and face it if your fat something isnt right.

I eat lower carb and there is nothing at all wrong with a lower carb diet, I mean what is so bad about veggies, berries, and whole grains?

Nothing, low carb does not = fat drenched with more fat toped off with a slab of lard.

I have read Dr. Atkins book and while I'm not a fan his work forced great strides in people becomming aware of procesed foods,sugars etc.

Just to set the record straight he was not obese either, comotose people often gain massive amounts of water weight when laying there on a drip IV.

His records said that he was under 200 pounds when admited to the hospital and at 6 foot thats good but somewhere in the range of 260 when he died due to water weight, so not obese, one would have thought Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine who are the ones who put out tehre that he was obese would have known the differance. However I think they were to busy being anti meat and not busy enough being honest. Personaly I think they do nothing but hurt the image of vegans and vegetarians. However I digress.

Back to the issue at hand, a vegetarian low carb diet is not bad for you, restrictive yes maybe but healthy.

I eat lots of veggies, mushrooms and fruit is my fav, tofu etc, way down the line and I only eat two servings a day is a whole grain of some sort maybe its oatmeal or quinoa.

I eat lots of beans and at least one serving of nuts a day.

I would hardly call that a unhealthy way of eating.

Edited to say that since starting my low carb vegan diet along with metoformin I have droped nearly 37 pounds in 2 months, not bad huh?

Hell I just went all over the place with that post did'nt I???
#15 Old 05-14-2008, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I lost w/o exercise and with exercise. Muscle takes up less space than fat, so you will look thinner and wear smaller size clothes if you exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorzelGummidge View Post

#16 Old 05-14-2008, 12:00 PM
Baby Love

I enjoyed reading The Thrive Diet. It has lots of info and guidelines that your rule-craving mind might appreciate ... plus it doesn't promote eating tons of grains like a lot of other veggie sources. Note: The author sells diet approved products, but they are not necessary to follow the plan.
#17 Old 05-14-2008, 04:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa View Post

Now sure I am a diabetic but people without diabeties also have insulin issues as in thier body is resistant to it, insulin resistance they say is caused by a high carb diet mostly the culprit is refined carbs.

While too many refined foods aren't good, the key nutrient that affects insulin sensitivity is dietary fat. This research has been done over and over - full blown diabetics achieve better insulin control on even high simple sugar diets than on high fat (30-40%) diets. Healthy volunteers can become pre-diabetic after a couple of weeks on a high fat diet - and return to normal after moving to an "unhealthy" diet high in simple sugars. Type II diabetes (NIIDM) can be cured in the majority of people through a low fat (~10%) whole foods plant-based diet. People with Type I diabetes (IDDM) can dramatically reduce their need for insulin with the same diet. Every time the research is done it just disappears without a murmur from the media, but it is there and it is unequivocal. Dietary fat is probably the single biggest controllable factor in insulin resistance and Type II diabetes.

Quote:

I eat lower carb and there is nothing at all wrong with a lower carb diet, I mean what is so bad about veggies, berries, and whole grains?

Nothing wrong with these foods at all! I'm curious why these foods constitute lower carb for you? They fit squarely in a lowfat whole foods plant-based diet, which is basically a high (relatively unprocessed) carbohydrate diet: oats have 69% of their calories as carbohydrates, brown rice 86%, quinoa 73%, blackberries 74%, carrots 89%, spinach 55%, and so on. The green veggies certainly have a lower percentage of their calories as carbohydrates, but because they're overall so low in calories you'd be eating more of the other foods. (You'd have to eat 7 kilos/15.4 pounds of spinach to get 1600 calories, which just isn't possible...)

If you're eating a diet based around veggies, fruits and whole grains, you certainly are eating a healthy diet. It's not a low carb one, though, it's not even a lower carb one. I'd imagine you average around 70% or more of your calories from carbohydrates, unless you're eating a lot of fat, which from the rest of what you say you probably aren't. I am curious, though - why cut out bananas when berries are fine? They have virtually the same carbohydrate content (75% vs 74%). Why not eat white potatoes if brown rice is fine? They have a lower percentage of carbohydrate by calories at 77%.

There is nothing wrong with potatoes (sweet or white), yams, pumpkin, squash, whole grains, or fruits - eaten in a state that is close to the original one. There is a lot wrong with mashed potatoes with milk and butter, a green salad with grated cheese and oil & vinegar dressing, pasta swimming in butter or olive oil, lasagna with cheese sauce, oily carrot cake and sour cream frosting and pumpkin pie with cream! Breads and pastas made from whole grain flours and no added fats are not ideal but can be part of a diet that contains a lot of relatively unprocessed vegetables, starches and fruits. I would agree with you that it is taste and dietary preference that drive consumption of refined grains, not a physiological need in this day and age. And that the processing results in loss of nutrients at the cost of a higher calorie density, which can be bad for people's waistlines!

I hope you're not offended, I really am curious how you define what healthy lower carb is. It sounds to me that you really mean a diet that is very low in processed/refined carbohydrates, which absolutely is better than one with lots of bread, pasta, doughnuts, etc.
#18 Old 05-14-2008, 06:06 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I hope you're not offended, I really am curious how you define what healthy lower carb is. It sounds to me that you really mean a diet that is very low in processed/refined carbohydrates, which absolutely is better than one with lots of bread, pasta, doughnuts, etc

Not at all

I'll tell you all about it and it is a little differant since you would think most things are created equal.

Dietary fat is a must for me, if I eat anything with even a moderate glycemic index without fat or protien then I get a spike followed by a low and it is the low that gets a bit dangerous for me, fat or protien slow the bodys absorbtion of sugars which we know all carbs other than fiber turn into glucouse.

I used to be on a high carb standard low fat diabetic diet and the result was me passing out quite a bit gaining wieght and overall being very sick all the time.

While I agree that lowering ones fat intake can be needed for controling diabeties most studies are done useing people who either eat meat or the diets are high in saturated fats and trans fats and of course those are bad for you.

However diets high in mono fats do not show such reactions such as metobolic disorders.

In otherwords fat is not the problem so much as the type of fat.

You also mention healthy volunteers, so it is not a shock thier bodies would go back to normal after cuting the junk food out, however for those of us who were unlucky enough to be born this way there is no cure only control.

As for foods being high in carbs compaired to fat etc, how high they are is not as important as how much fiber do they have and what is thier starch and sugar amounts?

In otherwords how are they going to impact me.

For that we look at a GI chart.

Grains as I said I eat two servings a day and they must be spread out.

Two servings a day = 2 slices of bread.

Most of my food comes from veggies, I eat a couple fruits a day 1 or 2 often they are used as part of a veggie smoothie to sweeten it a bit.

A serving of fruit is pretty small 1/2 cup is a serving.

Now when it comes to fruits some like banana's cause problems for me though they are low on the GI chart they are still higher than I can handle.

I stick to blueberries,raspberries and strawberries,goji berries etc.

Fruit is my weakness, I crave it but it can and often does make me sick.

I eat avacodo's all the time it is another weakness I love the damn things.

I also eat nuts mostly almonds.

I add olive oil to damn near all my veggies.

Never used to until now, my dry skin has cleared up so I think thats a plus.

Potatoes, banana's rice , yes even brown are all high impact foods ( for me for most normal people they rate a moderate on the scale but I can not do moderate) and to be avoided most of the time. Now every person is differant but for me these foods are followed by a hypoglycemic reaction.

Diet soda also does it which is odd given that it has no carbs.

My diet now compaired to the standard diabetic diet and certainly compaired to SAD or even the standard vegan diet is low carb, high fat and moderate protien.

My diet was outlined as a joined effort between my endocrinologist and dietition and I had my doubts but what can I say it works, not only is weight melting off with no effort but I feel good not to mention not passing out at work is a good thing.

Here is a simple GI you can look at since most of the others have nothing but processed stuffs ( this one does also but less so than others), I try to keep my impact foods below 45.

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/...cfoodchart.htm

In fact almost all my food that I eat in a day are below 20

There are some diabetics that eating like I do would cause them to go into a ketonic state which could send them into shock, I am not one of those.

For me at all comes down to glycemic load and in truth when it comes to low carb diets Atkins being one of them glycemic load is everything.

Think of your food guidlines and at the base there is bread and grains, then above it fruits and veggies, then above it protiens right then last fat.

For me the base is veggies followed by protien and fat then grains and fruits.

Hence given the guidlines of what a normal diet is verces what I eat then I fall under the definition of low carb.

Is it healthy? it depends on which study you choose to belive.

I can only say that low GI/low carb is working wonders for me.
#19 Old 05-14-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendySmiling View Post

Congrats on the loss! I was on Atkins for a year. While many say that it's unhealthy, I drastically brought down my triglycerides, LDL, raised HDL, got off my blood pressure meds, and all diabetes meds. I lost 112 lbs. I'm a live and let live person.

I'm not here to turn this thread into a pro vs con Atkins thing, so please don't flame it. I'm just trying to show him/her I know where he/she's coming from.

That being said, I'm obviously not on it anymore. For me Atkins put me in a type of "eating disorder mindset" with being paranoid of carbs, etc. I don' know how else to explain it.

I'm now vegan and have been for a week after wrestling w. southbeach for a year. I love it and don't miss the meat or dairy at all. I know it's hard to get out of the "carbs are bad" mindset. That will lessen with time. Please give this time and I hopefully it will be what you want/need.

Just as in Atkins, you should eat whole fresh foods and reduce or eliminate processed foods. Don't feel the need to pack in the protein w/ eggs & dairy. Stay to veggies, fruit, and whole grain, and go light on eggs and dairy, and watch your fat intake if you want to lose. I am losing.

I also second getting "The China Study" it's an amazing book.

Hi gang - this is all super helpful. The quote above is really where I'm at - mostly.

Frankly, I felt FANTASTIC while doing Atkins. I was skinny and my blood work was great. Plus - a little plunky though I am now - I'm still 70+lbs lighter than when I started Atkins in 2000! So, I owe it a lot.

The reality is that on Atkins long term - you avoid carbs. The quote above is the best description - you become carba-noid. It doesn't feel right long term. PLus, as you age, fiber is just too important.

PLus - if you're like me - you begin to just worry about consuming animals. Meat fits less and less into my enviro-world-view.

Let me ask a question: If you wanted to start controlling your overall carb as a vegetarian - can it be done??? More importantly - should it be done?? I'd welcome any insight.

I have two goals: 1. Lose weight - I need to plop off 20lbs; 2. Eat w/o meat. (Though I don't foresee giving up fish at this point). If those are my goals - is there a book out there that helps? How does one "Do Veg" and lose weight?

thanks a million!

- Thinker
#20 Old 05-14-2008, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular

The great thing about sticking with whole foods, is that the fiber really keeps your eating under control. Just switch out the meat for things like tofu and beans. Avoid saturated fat and eat a few small servings of whole grains a day. Adjust your portions so that your carb/protein/fat ratios work for you. For me personally, I do best keeping carbs between 50 and 60%, fats around 15 to 20% and the rest protein. I've never had insulin problems though and diabetes runs in my family. Even though I used to be 220 pounds (and that's a lot for a 5'4" girl), I never developed insulin resistance. In fact, neither did my husband (who lost 100 pounds on the optifast program) and he's the only one in his family who doesn't have type II diabetes. He does well with a mostly vegan diet too (he's not really vegetarian, he just hardly ever eats meat, eggs or dairy). You need to figure out what works for you though.

I believe Neal Bernard has a book about controlling diabetes on a vegetarian diet but I haven't read it because I don't have diabetes. I think I also saw somewhere that there's also a vegetarian version of the Zone diet.
#21 Old 05-14-2008, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

You also mention healthy volunteers, so it is not a shock thier bodies would go back to normal after cuting the junk food out, however for those of us who were unlucky enough to be born this way there is no cure only control.

Actually they went back to normal after changing their diet to another experimental one that was very high in simple sugars and low in fat, not a healthy diet at all. And there has been research using vegetarian and vegan diets.

Reversing diabetes through a lowfat vegan diet

Diet and Diabetes: Recipes for Success

If you're interested, you might want to read some of the stuff that Dr Barnard is doing (links above) or that Dr McDougall has written about. I believe it is their view that NIIDM is a disease almost entirely caused by diet and lifestyle and as such is curable for most people. They would fairly adamantly disagree that insulin resistance and/or Type II diabetes as it is experienced by the vast majority of people in developed countries is genetic. It just doesn't exist among people who eat very different diets - until they move to the US or Australia or their countries get more wealthy and they start eating differently.

Thanks for answering. I think I'll just have to agree to disagree, though - we both think we "know" different things based on what we've read and experienced. :-) But I always like finding out what other people think about stuff... if what I believe won't stand up to some legitimate challenge or alternative viewpoints, it's probably not worth believing!
#22 Old 05-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Veggie Regular

There are several reasons behind "type 2" diabetes....there are of course, many many w/ poor lifestyles that lead to it. in some cases, simply losing weight, following an exercise plan, and/or a good diet, can cure you of diabetes.

but there are other subsets of type 2 that involve genes, autoimmune-related, poor pancreas function, poor receptor cell function or metabolic disorders.

Many of the diet info out there, by anyone, that is even a few years old, can be obsolete. Things are changing all the time and new research is being done. What works for one person, will not work for all.
#23 Old 05-14-2008, 10:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah there are groups of indigenous people out there (Mbuti, Bushmen...etc) that eat meat but they also eat a lot of fruits and greens that they forage for. Whereas with the Eskimos, pretty much all they eat is meat.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#24 Old 05-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Beginner

I like the way you think ksfc and for now yes agree to disagree but things are ever changeing and one or both of us may change our minds at some point and we do have our own ways of looking at things.

For me this new diet and my learning about it is still in its infancy.

In fact I would still be sick all the time if I had not been pointed in the direction of low GI foods then urged to follow up with seeing someone for a tailored eating plan.

After all medication, being vegan and exercise can only go so far.

I take studies witha grain or bolder of salt given that I'm told all the time milk and meat are good for me.

In the end I think we just have to find what works for us and us alone.

Man I miss potatoes. Loved those buggers and would sleep for hours after eating them.
#25 Old 05-15-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:

I like the way you think ksfc and for now yes agree to disagree but things are ever changeing and one or both of us may change our minds at some point and we do have our own ways of looking at things.

For me this new diet and my learning about it is still in its infancy.

In fact I would still be sick all the time if I had not been pointed in the direction of low GI foods then urged to follow up with seeing someone for a tailored eating plan.

After all medication, being vegan and exercise can only go so far.

I take studies witha grain or bolder of salt given that I'm told all the time milk and meat are good for me.

In the end I think we just have to find what works for us and us alone.

Man I miss potatoes. Loved those buggers and would sleep for hours after eating them.

I never really missed burgers. Since I don't have a sweet tooth - I never really missed ice cream that much either. I really missed ....oatmeal, cereal, and croissant. The ability to have a light breakfast w/some fruit always got to me on the low-carb thing.
#26 Old 05-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

What food is your biggest vice? for me it's probably chips.

If everytime you want to eat said vice, you eat broccoli instead, you'll probably lose weight.

If everytime you want a soda you go for a walk, even for 5 minutes, you'll lose weight. It's super simple, just start small. This carb thing is terrible, sit down and think about what you're doing to yourself. The reason you felt so good is because your body was pretty much tricked into it. Don't think 'I have to lose 20 lbs' think 'I need fiber, vitamins, and a health heart.' I kind of like the Skinny ***** idea, or the Weight Watcher's core idea, if its good for you, eat it. If it's not, don't eat it.
#27 Old 05-15-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykoelle View Post

What food is your biggest vice? for me it's probably chips.

If everytime you want to eat said vice, you eat broccoli instead, you'll probably lose weight.

If everytime you want a soda you go for a walk, even for 5 minutes, you'll lose weight. It's super simple, just start small. This carb thing is terrible, sit down and think about what you're doing to yourself. The reason you felt so good is because your body was pretty much tricked into it. Don't think 'I have to lose 20 lbs' think 'I need fiber, vitamins, and a health heart.' I kind of like the Skinny ***** idea, or the Weight Watcher's core idea, if its good for you, eat it. If it's not, don't eat it.

I like it!! Is Skinny ***** worth reading if you're a guy?
#28 Old 05-15-2008, 10:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Skinny ***** is worth reading no matter who you are!
#29 Old 05-16-2008, 09:56 AM

like someone mentioned earlier, if your aim is losing 20lbs, depending on vegetarian diet is only half of the equation. Do you exercise to burn off those fats?

Controlling carb would mean keeping track of what you eat at each meal which will definitely turn you into carbo-noid. However, in the early stages of becoming vegetarian, it's important to find out more about foods which are carbo rich or low, nutritious or unhealthy. It will help you in planning your meals and indirectly control your carb intake. So read extensively.

For example, substitute brown rice with white rice or potatoes can provide you with more nutritious carbo.

I find that eating fruits before a meal can help me eat less during the meal.

Our eating habits are developed by our minds. Once we change our mindset, we can gradually convince our body to change the way we eat.

You're doing fine, you just need time. Keep it up, thinker!
#30 Old 05-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I just wanted to mention, for folks that have found success with Atkins, that as I understand it, the diet was meant for drastic weightloss quickly for people who are extremely overweight, to the point that their health is in immediate danger. The purpose of it, according to my limited knowledge, is to get people to the point where they can start exercising and then transitioning to a whole-foods, balanced diet. So for those that lost a lot of weight doing it, great, that it what it was designed for before promotions and marketing got a hold of it. It was not meant to be something to live on the rest of your life.

Sorry, I don't have much advice, except the really obvious things like exercise, fiber and whole foods.

Incorporating exercise into your life as a part of it instead of an extra thing that your have to make time to do often helps, like walking to work (where applicable) instead of going to the gym. Taking the stairs instead of the elevator (I knew a gal who came to college and went from overweight to 'ideal' weight almost entirely because she lived on the sixth floor and decided to never take the elevator.)

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page