Constructing a balanced diet for a picky eater... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-24-2008, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been vegetarian for about a week (for non-political/non-health reasons, just stopped eating meat randomly and have no desire to go back), but I need help constructing a balanced diet seeing there's a lot of foods I plain just don't like. I'm not a big fan of complex carbohydrates (rice and grains), and I hate fruits and sugars (simple carbohydrates, so I guess it's part and parcel). And I'm allergic to nuts and some seeds (I real food allergies, I was prescribed an Epi-Pen in the case of anaphylaxis). So basically I've been eating veggies in various forms, but I know my diet isn't very balanced. Any tips to make it more so?

My apologies if this post is redundant in anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Have you considered adopting a raw diet? Here's a link to the 80/10/10 raw diet, which is pretty popular.

http://www.foodnsport.com/811/index.html
#3 Old 04-24-2008, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

You really need more fruit and grains. Try different foods and new ways of preparing stuff you have already tried. Soup is a great way to get lots of variety without really noticing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-24-2008, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

It will be hard if you cant eat so much of what's on the food pyramid. Cutting out grains is cutting out the base of the pyramid for the most part. You didn't mention beans. Can you eat them? I personally think, except for allergies, veg*ns need to be pretty adventurous in their eating habits.
#5 Old 04-24-2008, 09:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita View Post

It will be hard if you cant eat so much of what's on the food pyramid. Cutting out grains is cutting out the base of the pyramid for the most part. You didn't mention beans. Can you eat them? I personally think, except for allergies, veg*ns need to be pretty adventurous in their eating habits.

I can eat beans and I love them. The only things I'm allergic to are peanuts, tree nuts and some seeds (i.e., sesame). The other things I just plain don't care for.
#6 Old 04-24-2008, 09:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillibean View Post

You really need more fruit and grains. Try different foods and new ways of preparing stuff you have already tried. Soup is a great way to get lots of variety without really noticing it.

I've noticed a good way of consuming a grain such as barley is getting a barley soup as opposed to biting into a chunk of bread, which I hate.
#7 Old 04-25-2008, 05:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Maybe try some puree soups where you simmer a bunch of veggies and then puree them in a blender? My mom has two recipes of this type (an orange one and a green one) and we have a don't ask-don't tell policy about the ingredients. We know each of us has a food in there we would not eat under other circumstances

Here are some ideas I have as someone who has allergies myself

Breakfast: How do you feel about things like applesauce or pudding? Maybe you could have a smoothie (soy yogurt, soy milk, juice, fruit etc. blended up) or a pudding (chocolate pudding layered with banana). Use soy yogurt to make your smoothie or pudding and you'll get some protein. Both of these ideas will also help you get in some fruits. You didn't mention oats---how do you feel about oatmeal? My standard breakfast is oatmeal with applesauce mixed in. I can't have raw apples (cross-reaction from my tree nut allergy) but I can have apples in cooked or processed form. Add a touch of cinnamon, it is supposed to be good for regulating blood sugar.

Snack: I usually have a lighter snack in the morning, if I snack at all. My breakfast usually keeps me until lunchtime. I often have fruit. If you don't like bread, how about crepes or pancakes? Top them with soy butter and jam, tofu cream cheese and jam, warm fruit (maybe apple pie filling from a can?) or something like that? I have also heard that canned pumpkin warmed up and diluted with soy milk is good.

Lunch: I always make two-serving dinners and save half for lunch. See my dinner comments

Afternoon Snack: I like to have a good afternoon snack because I work out when I get home. Often, I will make a trail mix composed of the dry cereal of my choosing mixed with a teaspoon of raisins and a teaspoon of soy nuts. I am limited in dry cereal choices due to my corn allergy, but there are so many flavours, you may be able to experiment and find one that you like, to get in some grains.

Dinner: How about borrowing 'The Sneaky Chef' from the library, or googling some of the recipes? You can puree some cooked vegetables (or buy baby food vegetables as a shortcut) and blend them into soups, sauces etc. How about some tofu baked with a rich tomato sauce with veggies blended in? Or a hearty soup? Perhaps a casserole of some kind? You did not mention potato, how do you feel about those?
#8 Old 04-25-2008, 06:35 AM
Veggie Regular

The foods you plain don't like...when was the last time you tried them. I know lots of people whose tastes changed as they went vegetarian, as well as lots of people's whose tastes change as they get older. The second is personally how I overcame lots of my pickiness.
#9 Old 04-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, with your current dislikes if you ever decide to go vegan that'll be a nightmare for you

I'd also like to ask how long it has been since you've eaten these foods you dislike? I think a huge mistake a lot of people make with foods is deciding that, after having it once, prepared in one way, they decide they don't like them. I honestly find it hard to believe anyone could hate all fruit! That's a hell of a lot of foods to hate. Do you just mean sweet fruits? Even so, that is such a variety. I'd really suggest over the course of a few months buying and trying different kinds over again in at least two ways each and seeing if you still dislike them. Also, don't forget that things like avocados, tomatoes, gourds (cucumbers, squash) and peppers are all fruit!

The grain thing (rice is a grain, no need to separate!) is also surprising... Again there are so many ways to prepare this! When you say you don't like them, do you really mean, for example, all breads, cereals, pastas and the like? That's something. I just think, or hope, you've been exposed to some really bad cooking and things could turn around if you learned to prepare these items well!
#10 Old 04-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikikamukau View Post

Wow, with your current dislikes if you ever decide to go vegan that'll be a nightmare for you

I'd also like to ask how long it has been since you've eaten these foods you dislike? I think a huge mistake a lot of people make with foods is deciding that, after having it once, prepared in one way, they decide they don't like them. I honestly find it hard to believe anyone could hate all fruit! That's a hell of a lot of foods to hate. Do you just mean sweet fruits? Even so, that is such a variety. I'd really suggest over the course of a few months buying and trying different kinds over again in at least two ways each and seeing if you still dislike them. Also, don't forget that things like avocados, tomatoes, gourds (cucumbers, squash) and peppers are all fruit!

The grain thing (rice is a grain, no need to separate!) is also surprising... Again there are so many ways to prepare this! When you say you don't like them, do you really mean, for example, all breads, cereals, pastas and the like? That's something. I just think, or hope, you've been exposed to some really bad cooking and things could turn around if you learned to prepare these items well!

Even though I don't like most grains, I do eat them, just the bare amount to bind a good dish. I hate when I bit into a good dish and get a mouthful of rice instead of the other good stuff in it. I don't like sweet things, period, so no I don't like sweet fruit. I do love peppers and gourds (tomato is like my sworn enemy). I don't mind eating stuff like spaghetti that's really stringy, but I hate the 'mealy' heaviness of grains, and when I get a big bite of the stuff I don't like it. The only really mealy things I love are BEANS. I love BEANS.

I like salty things, and I like fried things. My favorite thing I like to prepare myself is vegetable tempura, which I heavily salt.

I want to go vegan but I love cheese (soy cheese is ok, but I am still attached to the dairy stuff) and I fear I wouldn't have any substantial meals at all if they didn't include cheese.
#11 Old 04-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Going vegan and loving cheese is definitely possible. I think many of us have found that is the hardest thing to give up!

Thankfully you love beans... That's a very good start. They can easily be a staple of your diet, and you can get your caloric needs from them.

You also haven't mentioned disliking vegetables, so I'll assume you like those. Between those and beans you should be able to make a wide range of foods. You'd be more limited as a vegan, but you could pull it off.

I highly suggest starting a new post in the vegan forum. Post very, very specifically what you do and do not like (write out a list beforehand and think hard about it) and ask for guidance on setting up a meal plan to get your appropriate nutrition. Focus on the fact that right now you're undereating and not meeting your nutritional needs, that will encourage people to help you...

With aid there you should be able to see if veganism can be right for you. Remember, whatever your reasons are, and it sounds like weight loss might be the big one, you need to be focused on long-term health. That's more important than just losing weight. If you stick to a healthy vegan diet and appropriate exercise you're bound to not only lose weight, but also increase your lifespan. There is no reason to neglect yourself to do it.
#12 Old 04-30-2008, 06:28 AM
Veggie Regular

It looks to me like you need to figure out what carbs you DO like and then work from there. It might also help to keep in mind that a "serving size" of grain really isn't that big, so you might be able to get away with having a smaller sized serving.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page