How strict is everyone? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-12-2008, 04:42 PM

I just became a vegan (no meat eggs dairy or gelitin ingredients) and I was wondering if its possible to be 100% vegan in this world we live in today? I really want to be and have been trying for a while.. and it's actually no that hard. I want to do all I can for the animals, my health, and the enviorment. Another question is has anyone had any anemic like side affects at any point? Just a thought...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-12-2008, 08:50 PM

its possible but really difficult... especially in perth because most shops dont sell all the good stuff, even just for being vegetarian like i am, i have to go to about 3 different shops to get everything i need... yet you can buy meat in nearly every store!...

i dont think i have had any anemic side effects... but sometimes you can just "feel sick" and not really ever know what it was caused by.. i take an iron supplement anyway so hopefully that doesnt happen!
#3 Old 04-12-2008, 09:43 PM

hey thanks a lot that really helped!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Anything's possible, but being 100% vegan can be difficult unless you make all of your own food, and do lots of research to know which products are or aren't vegan. It can take a lot of time to ensure no animal products breach any part of your life.

As I like to say all one can do is their best.

p.s. mods shouldn't this be in the vegan section since it is referring to the strictness of vegans
#5 Old 04-13-2008, 01:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyBeingreen11 View Post

I just became a vegan (no meat eggs dairy or gelitin ingredients) and I was wondering if its possible to be 100% vegan in this world we live in today? I really want to be and have been trying for a while.. and it's actually no that hard. I want to do all I can for the animals, my health, and the enviorment. Another question is has anyone had any anemic like side affects at any point? Just a thought...

As a brand-new vegan (just entered my eighth day 12 minutes ago), I would say that to be 100% vegan can be challenging, but being 99% vegan can definitely be done. Personally if I know an item has meat/milk products, I avoid it (or even if I know there is a good likelihood it contains anything non-vegan, like a cake being brought into the office for somebody's birthday).

You probably have the best thought process ("I want to do all I can for the animals, my health, and the environment"). Just focus on what you have control over, keep educating yourself and avoid products that animals have been hurt or died for.
#6 Old 04-13-2008, 02:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyb View Post

Anything's possible, but being 100% vegan can be difficult unless you make all of your own food, and do lots of research to know which products are or aren't vegan. It can take a lot of time to ensure no animal products breach any part of your life.

It's not that hard.

You can't do much about the animal fats in the soles of your shoes, or in **** like steel etc, but to not consume recognised animal products in food is easy, it just requires label reading, which after a while becomes second nature.

I echo the research sentiment though, read read read!
#7 Old 04-13-2008, 08:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by melly89 View Post

its possible but really difficult... especially in perth because most shops dont sell all the good stuff, even just for being vegetarian like i am, i have to go to about 3 different shops to get everything i need... yet you can buy meat in nearly every store!...

i dont think i have had any anemic side effects... but sometimes you can just "feel sick" and not really ever know what it was caused by.. i take an iron supplement anyway so hopefully that doesnt happen!

It pretty easy! I did not find problems purchasing vegan stuff at the stores. Is as easy as reading the labels. You end up getting used to it. You can it unlimited dishes being vegan without no hassle. i find it harder to dine out, some cities are more friendly, some are less. Here in Chicago there are some nice vegan places... however, the non vegan places are very veggie unfriendly. I've been in San Francisco and in regular restaurants you can find vegan stuff (even marked down as vegan on the menu)

Being row is easier though... as you eat all in the row the bulk and produce is almost the only place you need to visit on the grocery store (along with some other raw ingredients that are all around or easily at the "raw" department at Whole Foods (or on Amazon... less expensive)

Dining out as a raw vegan... well... go to a raw restaurant or eat a salad without dressing... the second option is fine for me... but I do not like wasting money so I just wear carrots and apples in my car the day I expect I may need to dine out.

Regarding avoiding animal products in cosmetics, shoes, other stuff... It's all about reading labels and purchasing online at vegan stores.
#8 Old 04-13-2008, 09:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutomaticMan View Post

It's not that hard.

You can't do much about the animal fats in the soles of your shoes, or in **** like steel etc, but to not consume recognised animal products in food is easy, it just requires label reading, which after a while becomes second nature.

I echo the research sentiment though, read read read!

I really don't think is is HARD period, but some people seem to believe it is difficult. The only difficulty comes in finding those things that are hiding in your shoes, film, or steel.
#9 Old 04-13-2008, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

To me, the "hard" part was just reversing decades of socialization that meat was good and necessary. The ingredient reading and things like that is slowly becoming second nature to me.
#10 Old 04-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Food wise, it is easy...toiletries I also found easy as Liverpool has a 'Lush' where 75% of their products are vegan, but it is not as easy for everyone. I struggle most with shoes as shoes bought as vegan are really expensive...however, phoning companies has produced some decent priced regular shoes that are accidentally vegan. I do get cravings for buying wool knitting yarn, but happily there is a great range of synthetics available!

All in all, not difficult as such, just requires a bit more time and planning...and it is worth it.

Clarexxx
#11 Old 04-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Greeting, welcome to VB.... me= strict = almost nazi, vegan= very very = very a lot plus the result being quite relaxed once you are ofe with all that brings you happiness= (in terms broadmindedly appertaining to the vegan tinted glasses and the very real sights layed before you, should you and the whole world choose to see what's layed before you, or not, as most of it hidden from view, in regard to animal cruelty, unless its a corporation slaughter machine, which will slaughter inhumanely and inanimally, and even publicize in front of your face and pretend its normal sanctioning of life and death, merely for the end product of tastebud masturbation of the mass populus ignorant of how what in their mouth came to be there).

Excuse the extra-cirricular in brackets (and italic), my mind is on a trip.
#12 Old 04-13-2008, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Greeting, welcome to VB.... me= strict = almost nazi, vegan= very very = very a lot plus the result being quite relaxed once you are ofe with all that brings you happiness= (in terms broadmindedly appertaining to the vegan tinted glasses and the very real sights layed before you, should you and the whole world choose to see what's layed before you, or not --aka animal cruelty-- as most of it hidden from view, unless its a corporation slaughter machine, which will slaughter inhumanely and inanimally ill-disposed stinking food resource, and even publicize in front of your face and pretend its normal sanctioning of life thru advertizing/PR propoganda over issues of animal life and death, merely for the end product of tastebud masturbation of the mass populus ignorant of how what in their mouth came to be there).

Excuse the extra-cirricular in brackets (and italic), my mind is on a trip.
#13 Old 04-13-2008, 05:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Wud like to mention I have already in times past saved on my PC the nice green planet from past internet excursions of searching the net, since long time ago, its a graphic quite often used on a lot of green/environmental sites.... Nice choice of avatar.

Go Easy -beinGreen11, good health... Greenie beanie health, to both the elf and the smurf in all of us.
#14 Old 04-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Beginner

I'm 100% vegan apart from one old pair of leather boots which I'll probably have done in soon.

Oh, and I had a blood test done last week and my results were well within the "healthy" range for pretty much everything. So, no problems here.
#15 Old 04-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Beginner

Food wise, being vegan is very easy .... well I've been doing it awhile (with help from my vegan best friend). Yes, at first, it's confusing. But like someone said earlier, read those labels!

I'm a very strict dietary vegan. Well, I became vegan for health reasons at first. Now it's more than that. So, I'm still learning about the other vegan stuff (shoes, cleaning products, ect). Except for clothing. I got the hang of that without realizing it Thanks to my skin allergy (it was a blessing and I didn't know it until I went vegan ).

So I'm in your shoes, so to speak. And this thread is helping me out as well.
#16 Old 04-15-2008, 08:58 AM
Veggie Regular

How strict am I?

By my standards: Strict enough.

By the view of most Veggies: Probably not strict enough.

Basically, my view is on par with the views of the vegetarian lifestyle, and for the most part (98.0%) I eat vegetarian dishes that I prepare myself. However, if I am offered a non-veggie dish, I accept - depending upon to what degree the dish is non-veggie - both out of acceptance for the honor of nutritious food being offered, as well as the joy of being thought of in the preparation process. (Clarification: A steak and bacon sandwich wouldn't be something I would eat, mostly for health reasons.) I also fail to purchase animal products, including clothing and such.

Eh, a healthy lifestyle-arian, I guess.
#17 Old 04-15-2008, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

The fact that you're asking questions about nutrition tells me that you REALLY need to get the book "Becoming Vegan" by Melina and Davis. Getting proper nutrition as a vegan isn't difficult if you know what you're doing, but you do have to plan for one or two things.

--Fromper

#18 Old 04-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Beginner

#19 Old 04-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Veggie Regular

^^ It's called amazon.com

God loved birds, he created trees.
Man loved birds, he created cages.
#20 Old 04-16-2008, 05:55 AM
Veggie Regular

How's this for a country. Its crusty old earth!
#21 Old 04-17-2008, 12:31 PM

Veggie food has been pretty straightforward. Know what you are willing to eat, and read the labels! If the labels are obscure, or if the ingredient can come from a plant or animal source, contact the manufacturer. That's my routine these days.

Eating out can be tough, but in my experience most restaurants are willing to modify the listed item to suit your needs. Whether they really do it or not is something you can never be sure of, but at the very least, you tried and the proprietor knows there is veggie patronage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page