Headaches (no, not from reading labels!) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-09-2008, 07:52 PM

Has anyone else experienced constant low-grade headaches during the first few months of transitioning to vegetarianism?

I am being careful to get enough protein throughout the day and supplement with a soy protein shake at night for dessert. I'm definitely getting enough calories (though I've lost just a bit of weight--nothing wrong with that!).

I wouldn't think much of it but I've almost never gotten a headache ever in my life. Maybe I'm just being a wimp but I didn't know if anyone else has ever experienced this? :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Veggie Regular

It sounds just like your body is detoxifying it's self. If that's the case, It should stop once your body is adjusted. If it doesn't stop, Remember that it might be something all together unrelated even if it seems to be connected. If it keeps going on for more than another month or so, Talk to your doctor about it.
#3 Old 03-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Veggie Regular

well check your magnesium levels because headaches (especially migraines), around 60% have to do with low magnesium levels. Also yeah, it could just be a detox.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Veggie Regular

make sure you are drinking enough water and watch your salt intake... either too much or not enough (or the fluctuation of) can give you headaches.

also, what kind of pain is it? one sided? or across the head?

it could be stress being held in the jaw/ neck, etc or sinus related.
#5 Old 03-10-2008, 05:46 AM

I'll definitely check on the magnesim and salt levels (yay, more labels to read!) and keep up the water. I hydrate pretty well but it never hurts to be sure. I'll be sure to keep a calendar to see if it goes on longer than the what you'd think of as a detox period

Thankfully it's not horribly annoying, just a very low-grade, all over headache (kinda like caffeine withdrawal) that I can manage to forget for a while but it doesn't quite go away. It might be my job! :-)
#6 Old 03-10-2008, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

My ibuprofin bottles say to see a doctor if headaches or "symptoms" persist for more than a couple of days.
#7 Old 03-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree with Soy 6-Pack - better see a doctor. Switching to a healthy diet shouldn't give you headaches.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#8 Old 03-11-2008, 01:53 PM

Not to mention that a headache is no fun! Thanks for the cautions -- I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I experimented by having a little more caffeine yesterday and everything cleared up. It seems my body was revolting against an absentminded reduction in the morning java. (I had an extra cup this morning to be sure and, presto, no headaches.) Goodness, that's embarrassing.

Next project--either wake up in time for two cups or cut it out altogether!
#9 Old 03-11-2008, 11:41 PM
Veggie Regular

you can slowly wean yourself off of it a little by using half and half caf and noncaf coffee. also, you could substitute some tea in there, it has some, but less caffeine than coffee. or eat chocolate!! lol.
#10 Old 03-12-2008, 07:22 AM

Of course! <smacks forehead--oww, new headache> The healing power of chocolate...

Seriously, thanks everyone--it's a bad day when you don't learn something new (even if you should've known it in the first place).
#11 Old 03-12-2008, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastharper View Post

Of course! <smacks forehead--oww, new headache> The healing power of chocolate...

Seriously, thanks everyone--it's a bad day when you don't learn something new (even if you should've known it in the first place).

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=84646

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#12 Old 03-13-2008, 01:53 PM

I just started a week ago so I will have to watch out for the headaches. Although I think I'll be fine, because I know a lot about nutrition and I've been researching and preparing for this move for quite some time, but if they come anyway I'll know it's just my body reacting temporarily and I'll get through it. Thanks for the heads up.
#13 Old 03-17-2008, 08:23 PM
Beginner

Funny, with me it was the opposite... My whole life I had these terrible migraines - really really bad ones - but since I became vegetarian I've never had one again!
#14 Old 03-18-2008, 12:00 PM
Veggie Regular

its kinda like that for me too, tarent... im not entirely vegan, but nearly so. every once in a blue moon if i try to eat cheese, i get these raging headaches! its really crazy. plus, i am far more sensitive to junk food, or packaged foods...if ive been eating badly for a few days, then i stop, i get those headaches again!
#15 Old 03-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Beginner

I know, once I had spent 2 months with no dairy at all, but one day decided to have some cheese (god knows why!) and I just felt like crap for a whole week... Not only I had terrible headaches I also got really constipated and feeling like a ballon.

I've decided to finally give up on dairy after that experience.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page