What's the difference... (strict vegetarian vs. vegan)? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-13-2008, 06:52 PM
Beginner

What's the difference between a strict vegetarian and a vegan? I've thinking about this forever and can't figure it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-13-2008, 06:58 PM
Baby Love

Generally speaking, a strict vegetarian tends to be dietary only. He/she does not eat animal products but will wear or use them in other ways. A vegan is someone who does everything practical/feasible to cut animal products out of all aspects of their lives, not just food.
#3 Old 01-13-2008, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

^ What she said.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-14-2008, 04:22 AM
Beginner

oh wow, I didn't know that was the difference. I was reading a magazine and it said that strict-veg was what vegans were referred to years ago, I guess before the term 'vegan' became more popular.
#5 Old 01-14-2008, 04:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I think I'm a weird one then because I'm vegetarian, eat cheese and eggs, yet I only use products not tested on animals/with no animal ingredients and avoid leather.
#6 Old 01-14-2008, 05:48 AM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicSheep View Post

I think I'm a weird one then because I'm vegetarian, eat cheese and eggs, yet I only use products not tested on animals/with no animal ingredients and avoid leather.

Nah. That's not weird. I actually was non-vegetarian while still avoiding leather, wool, and other non-animal friendly products. The idea stems from wanting to reduce harm where you can. I've many times questioned what the healthiest diet is for me, but there's really no question whether or not I NEED leather shoes or shampoo thats been tested on animals. Therefore, I could never justify buying those to myself under normal circumstances.
#7 Old 01-15-2008, 07:50 AM

oh, I learnt something new here - like sleepydvr, I always thought "strict vegetarian" is another way to describe vegan..thanks Nickster for asking this valuable question and jinga for the clear explanation
#8 Old 01-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Beginner

Thank you!
#9 Old 01-17-2008, 07:50 PM
Beginner

I would tell people Im a "dietary vegan" rather than a "strict vegetarian", people seem to know what a vegan is around here
#10 Old 01-19-2008, 03:31 AM

I didn't understand the difference until I read the book "Being Vegan".
#11 Old 01-19-2008, 03:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veg_blondie View Post

I would tell people Im a "dietary vegan" rather than a "strict vegetarian", people seem to know what a vegan is around here

Ha-ha!

I'm a vegan that tells people I'm a "strict vegetarian" because the only people around me that actually know what a VEGAN is absolutely HATE vegans!!! Hate us hate us hate us...

Vegans are apparently crazy evil b*tches but I'm more tollerable if I don't use that label.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#12 Old 01-19-2008, 08:05 AM

Then I wonder what the most exact definition is for someone like me who is ovo-lacto and absolutely refuses to wear anything made of leather and wool (I do wear silk and wool, though, which for many vegans is a taboo as well).
#13 Old 01-19-2008, 08:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscanyNYC View Post

Then I wonder what the most exact definition is for someone like me who is ovo-lacto and absolutely refuses to wear anything made of leather and wool (I do wear silk and wool, though, which for many vegans is a taboo as well).

lacto-ovo vegetarian
#14 Old 01-19-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyPerv View Post

Ha-ha!

I'm a vegan that tells people I'm a "strict vegetarian" because the only people around me that actually know what a VEGAN is absolutely HATE vegans!!! Hate us hate us hate us...

Vegans are apparently crazy evil b*tches but I'm more tollerable if I don't use that label.

it's not us, it's them. they have a disorder:

xe·no·phobe \\ˈze-nə-ˌfōb, ˈzē-\\

Function: noun

Etymology: International Scientific Vocabulary

Date:1922

: one unduly fearful of what is foreign and especially of people of foreign origin
#15 Old 01-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

i always used "strict vegetarian" to describe myself, b/c i didnt eat rennet-y cheese, so if i were in a restaurant, for example, i wouldnt eat the cheese b/c i didnt know where it came from... using that term made pple ask me more about it, adn i would explain that i still ate eggs and butter was ok...

but i avoid leather and animal tested products.

now, im minimally lo veg...i dont call myself vegan, b/c, well, i dont entirely cut out those little "hidden" ingredients outside my home... but what i usually say is "i eat vegan"

hopefully, i will make it to "dietary vegan"...being that i have wool and a pair of leather boots
#16 Old 01-24-2008, 05:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm a strict veg or a pure veg not a vegan. I eat like a vegan. However, I still use stuff with animal products in it or things that are tested on animals, however, I am slowly working them out of my life. I also own some leather stuff...no fur though, I hate fur.

So I don't think it fair to call myself a vegan, because vegans are really those who go all the way...I'm just not that good.
#17 Old 01-24-2008, 08:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

You would get two labels. An ethical consumer, and a vegetarian.
#18 Old 01-24-2008, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Actually I find that the label "Strict Vegetarian" is not very well defined, and that it is used and misused is many different ways. Perhaps the most correct definition would be the one proposed that a strict vegetarian is someone that eats a vegan or near vegan diet. These could be people who are "vegan for health" since there are no health implications for purchasing leather or animal-tested products. But in common day to day life I hear the term "strict vegetarian" being used to refer to any type of vegetarian who feels that they are strict about their vegetarianism. So an ovo-lacto vegetarian who refuses to eat fish or even chicken broth or natural flavoring from meat sources, may label themselves a strict vegetarian. So, I think that whenever you hear someone call themselves a "strict vegetarian" you should ask them to elaborate to avoid any confusion.
#19 Old 01-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I second what kpickell has said. I think that for a lot people, "strict" just implies no exceptions, attention to trace ingredients, and so on, rather than implying a vegan diet.

I think it's a very ambiguous phrase, and would not rely on it if I wanted to avoid eggs and dairy.
#20 Old 01-24-2008, 10:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

bolding mine.

huh?
#21 Old 01-24-2008, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

That is why I prefer the term PURE vegetarian.
#22 Old 01-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular

A lot of people think a vegetarian is someone who doesn't eat red meat, but continues to eat chicken and/or seafood. I've heard of some of these people refer to a vegetarian as a 'strict vegetarian.' Before I went vegan, my mom used to tell people "Kelly's a really strict vegetarian. She doesn't eat red meat, chicken, or fish." Actually, now that I think about it, she STILL calls me a 'strict vegetarian!"

Something else that's been bugging me is the use of "strict vegan" or "hardcore vegan." I was watching a cooking segment on the Today show yesterday morning and the chef of the day was the owner of a vegan restuarant in Los Angeles. She was talking about (and making) a recipe that called for parmasean cheese. I was thinking "but I thought it was a VEGAN dish?!" She went on to say something like "the hardcore vegans can substitute soy cheese in place of parmasean." What? What other type of vegan is there? Are there vegans out there who eat parmasean cheese? If so, they need to stop calling themselves vegans!
#23 Old 01-24-2008, 12:00 PM

Strict vegetarian is quite an ambiguous term though I think I've heard my partner use that before. He is a vegetarian who eats vegan at home, lives an otherwise vegan lifestyle outside of diet and so on. Hopefully he might go vegan in the long run though
#24 Old 01-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymps View Post

A lot of people think a vegetarian is someone who doesn't eat red meat, but continues to eat chicken and/or seafood. I've heard of some of these people refer to a vegetarian as a 'strict vegetarian.' Before I went vegan, my mom used to tell people "Kelly's a really strict vegetarian. She doesn't eat red meat, chicken, or fish." Actually, now that I think about it, she STILL calls me a 'strict vegetarian!"

Something else that's been bugging me is the use of "strict vegan" or "hardcore vegan." I was watching a cooking segment on the Today show yesterday morning and the chef of the day was the owner of a vegan restuarant in Los Angeles. She was talking about (and making) a recipe that called for parmasean cheese. I was thinking "but I thought it was a VEGAN dish?!" She went on to say something like "the hardcore vegans can substitute soy cheese in place of parmasean." What? What other type of vegan is there? Are there vegans out there who eat parmasean cheese? If so, they need to stop calling themselves vegans!

how annoying!!

i wouldnt wantto eat at that restaurant, if she couldnt even tell that cheese isnt vegan!! i love that she perpetuates the ignorance.

if someone says they are vegetarian, and then they follow up w/ "but i eat fish" (or whatever)...i have no problem saying: then you're not vegetarian, fish is meat. i dont get into an arguement, i just state it.
#25 Old 01-24-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidAnne View Post

how annoying!!

i wouldnt wantto eat at that restaurant, if she couldnt even tell that cheese isnt vegan!! i love that she perpetuates the ignorance.

if someone says they are vegetarian, and then they follow up w/ "but i eat fish" (or whatever)...i have no problem saying: then you're not vegetarian, fish is meat. i dont get into an arguement, i just state it.

Recently tried clear up that misconception on another message board XD.

Other user;

Quote:
...A balanced diet, which vegetarians are not getting from just eating vegetables, salads, fish, etc.

My response;

Quote:
Vegetarians don't eat fish. Vegetarians that do, aren't. I'm sorry if that sounds judgmental, but if you don't draw the line somewhere, in 100 years you may have 'vegetarians' that eat all kinds of meat every day except Wednesday.

#26 Old 01-28-2008, 04:11 PM

Hah, I've been hearing the "I'm a vegetarian but eat fish" from people a lot lately (more than usual frequency!). I heard some call it a "lacto-ovo-pesci vegetarian." Maybe next will be a "lacto-ovo-pesci-bovine vegetarian."
#27 Old 01-28-2008, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

No no it's lacto-ovo-pesca-pollo-tarian... and I met one last week. Seriously
#28 Old 01-28-2008, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

No no it's lacto-ovo-pesca-pollo-tarian... and I met one last week. Seriously

Typically that's just a pollotarian. It's pretty rare for a pollotarian to refer to themselves with the lacto/ovo/pesco labels to as those are all generally part of a pollotarian diet in the first place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollotarianism
#29 Old 01-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Veggie Regular

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#30 Old 02-01-2008, 07:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Typically that's just a pollotarian. It's pretty rare for a pollotarian to refer to themselves with the lacto/ovo/pesco labels to as those are all generally part of a pollotarian diet in the first place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollotarianism

She didn't actually call herself a pesce-pollo-tarian or anything but wanted to know what she was since she only ate chicken and fish. It was cute and someone here suggest she was a "meat-reducer". It all makes my head splodey. I told her, sweetly, she was a meat-eater.

And just to clear up the fact that she wouldn't just be a pollo-tarian: (from the wiki)

Quote:
but pescetarianism and pollotarianism are separate entities

Pollotarians don't eat fish. Pescetarians don't eat chicken. Nethier, of course, are vegetarians at all.

AHIMSA- yes... that's exactly how I feel too!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page