For an interested friend [friend had bad reaction to soy] - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-09-2008, 01:58 PM

Hello everyone! First off this is my first time posting so here it goes...

I have been a vegetarian since i was little. One of my friends is very interested in becoming a vegetarian as well. I told her of some products to buy at our wild oats. I am lactose intolerant and naturally told her to try soycrisps and soy cheese. I felt awful because she had a horrible reaction to the soy. She has not been able to find out if it is the soy or another ingredient. Anyways i was wondering if there is anyone out there that is allergic to soy and still is a successful vegetarian? THanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I am not allergic to soy, but you can be a succesful veg*n without soy, you just need to buy alot more fresh ingredients. It would also probobly be alot easier for her if she tried cooking meals from scratch, insead of buying prepackaged items. Veggies can be snacks also! And, is she wanting to be a vegetarian or a vegan? Because if vegetarian that should open up alot of options for her, being able to consume dairy instead of faux dairy which almost always contains soy ingredients. Just tell her to make sure and always read ingredients, and possibly go to the doctor and get tested for allergies, because it may be that she isn't even allergic to soy. Its important that she knows what gave her that reaction so she can prevent it again in the future. Good luck to your friend!
#3 Old 01-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Veggie Regular

It's very easy to be vegan and not eat soy. Simply substitute soy milk for other milks such as rice, almond or hemp. Beans and lentils provide a great source of protein, as do whole grains. If she avoids most fake foods such as meat analogues she should be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-10-2008, 06:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Soy is in just about everything processed. I'd suggest she see a doctor and get tested for food allergies because if she is allergic to soy it's going to be a greater problem than avoiding tofu. That said, you can certainly be veg and not eat soy.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#5 Old 01-10-2008, 06:22 AM

I had terrible stomach upsets when I first tried some soy products but as I eased myself into it, trying just a little here and there, I haven't had the same problem since.

But as said, it's easy to be veg*n without soy products too
#6 Old 01-10-2008, 09:13 AM
Beginner

I'm not allergic to soy, but generally I don't like the taste of it...especially soy-related 'dairy' products (i.e. soy milk/cheese). I use rice-based products instead.

If you buy prepackaged stuff it might be difficult to avoid soy, but if she does most of her cooking at home she shouldn't have a problem being veg and soy-less
#7 Old 01-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Also bear in mind that some soy products such as soymilk and cheese contain carrageenan, a thickening agent which has been known to cause stomach upsets. Quite a few people have assumed they've had a bad reaction to soymilk or other soy products, but they were fine with it once they switched to a brand that didn't have carrageenan. It's worth to look into it.
#8 Old 01-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

You should certainly tell your friend to get an allergy test...There's soy in a LOT of products....Some you would never think would have soy in them. Tell your friend I hope it turns out her, and good luck to the both of you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page