Vegan Sushi! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-06-2008, 07:57 PM

Help!!! I need something to take the place of a spicy tuna roll! I miss it soooooo much! Not the tuna but the flavors...nothing seems to do it! Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm.. I never tried it, but I made vegan sushi today actually (see my blog below) as for what can take the place of spicy tuna.. what if you make a mixture of wasabi, water, vinegar, and some sugar and use that to pickle some radish? Or, add a touch of soy sauce and use that to boil the radish quickly for about 5 minutes. Radish has a really nice bite to it, and the wasabi will only kick it up a notch, to be tempered by the sugar and soy sauce. You really want to either boil or pickle it to get rid of the crunch though.

Tell me how it goes: I've never personally tried this at all.

You could also marinade some firm tofu with a mixture like what I suggested to pickle the radish in and roast it in the oven.
#3 Old 01-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Baked tofu or marinated tempeh that has been made into a "tuna" salad works really well in sushi.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-06-2008, 11:55 PM
Beginner

Yes, tempeh is great for sushi. I marinated some in a mixture of soy sauce and sherry vinegar, then pan fried it. It did the trick.
#5 Old 01-07-2008, 07:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Seaweed salad roll, or avocado and veg, are my favorites. Having never eaten a spicy tuna roll, I can't say what it's like to pick something else to be like it.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#6 Old 01-07-2008, 08:49 AM

never eaten tuna, but some of the yeast pâté I've eaten tastes like tuna smells. maybe it was mushroom pâté.

just an idea.

#7 Old 01-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Veggie Regular

spicy red rooster sauce (i make my own cuz the commercial version has xantham gum and other preservatives) gets that spicy tuna flavor for me.

last time i made sushi i made a spicy roll with boiled yam mashed with a little sesame oil and lots of rooster sauce ( i like it spicy!) added some clover sprouts too.

recipe for rooster sauce (tuong ot sriracha)

red jalapenos (i use some habaneros too..i really like spicy flavor)

vinegar

garlic

sugar/agave works too

salt or soy sauce

i just blend it all together adding more or less spice and vinegar to taste and consistency i need at the time (works well thick and liquidy)
#8 Old 01-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Beginner

I worship Wakame(seaweed salad). Especially the frilly, light green strands. Avacado rolls are always good, but I've never eaten spicy tuna before, so I have no idea what that tastes like.
#9 Old 01-09-2008, 05:11 AM
Veggie Regular

god i want sushi...
#10 Old 01-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensgood View Post

spicy red rooster sauce (i make my own cuz the commercial version has xantham gum and other preservatives) gets that spicy tuna flavor for me.

last time i made sushi i made a spicy roll with boiled yam mashed with a little sesame oil and lots of rooster sauce ( i like it spicy!) added some clover sprouts too.

vinegar

garlic

sugar/agave works too

salt or soy sauce

i just blend it all together adding more or less spice and vinegar to taste and consistency i need at the time (works well thick and liquidy)

If you don't like garlic or cannot risk a bad breath - try ginger instead. Tastes Great!

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#11 Old 01-11-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthly Delight View Post

Hmm.. I never tried it, but I made vegan sushi today actually (see my blog below) as for what can take the place of spicy tuna.. what if you make a mixture of wasabi, water, vinegar, and some sugar and use that to pickle some radish? Or, add a touch of soy sauce and use that to boil the radish quickly for about 5 minutes. Radish has a really nice bite to it, and the wasabi will only kick it up a notch, to be tempered by the sugar and soy sauce. You really want to either boil or pickle it to get rid of the crunch though.

Tell me how it goes: I've never personally tried this at all.

You could also marinade some firm tofu with a mixture like what I suggested to pickle the radish in and roast it in the oven.

Ill have to try this thanks!
#12 Old 01-11-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensgood View Post

vinegar

garlic

sugar/agave works too

salt or soy sauce

Thanks for the advice! That sounds awesome!! I will definitely try it!
#13 Old 01-11-2008, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never had spicy tuna rolls, but I believe what you're missing isn't the tuna so much as the combination of mayonnaise, chili oil and sugar which I believe is what's used in various spicy rolls (be it spicy tuna, asparagus, broccoli, avocado, etc.).

Trying making your own with vegenaise maybe? :shrug:
#14 Old 01-11-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothar M Kirsch View Post

If you don't like garlic or cannot risk a bad breath - try ginger instead. Tastes Great!

No worries. I live by garlic! Best creation EVER
Purp likes this.
#15 Old 01-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Beginner

I made a really good batch of sushi for breakfast. I used the soy sauce and sherry vinegar tempeh, but threw some cumin and pepper on there too. I also used the last of some miso black bean sauce that I had made earlier in the week alongside the tempeh. Oh man was it tasty.
#16 Old 01-11-2008, 10:57 PM
Veggie Regular

spicy tempeh rolls!

(ok i've never had a spicy tuna roll so i don't know how similar this is but i can confirm that these are super yummy)
#17 Old 01-13-2008, 08:34 PM

There is a whole vegan sushi cookbook - I own it and made sushi out of it once (it just takes a lot of effort) but it was very good. I don't think they had a "mock" spicy tuna roll - given that I never ate one before I was veg, I don't know what to tell you would be a good alternative. But there were a lot of good recipes in this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Vegetarian-Ess...0285236&sr=8-1
#18 Old 01-15-2008, 08:33 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangerory View Post

There is a whole vegan sushi cookbook - I own it and made sushi out of it once (it just takes a lot of effort) but it was very good. I don't think they had a "mock" spicy tuna roll - given that I never ate one before I was veg, I don't know what to tell you would be a good alternative. But there were a lot of good recipes in this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Vegetarian-Ess...0285236&sr=8-1

Wishlisted
#19 Old 07-29-2013, 10:09 AM

maybe you can put in the vegan garabazo mayo mix

#20 Old 07-30-2013, 08:29 PM

Wow this is an old post and I never thought of that so thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam alshebany View Post

maybe you can put in the vegan garabazo mayo mix
sam alshebany likes this.
#21 Old 07-31-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethicschicnow View Post

Wow this is an old post and I never thought of that so thanks!

I Hope it works 

Good luck smiley.gif smiley.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page