"Vegetarian friendly" - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-01-2008, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I just recently told my dad I was going Veg. Hes always been the cook in the house, and I guess hes all excited to start cooking new things. Today, he told me he was making split pea soup for me. I asked him, "doesn't that have ham in it?". He told me it usually had ham in it, but this time he was going to make it "vegetarian friendly", and not put actual ham in it, instead he was going to just cook the carcass of the ham in the soup, then take it out. Then said, it won't have any meat in it!

I wasn't sure what to say about that, because I don't really want to eat soup that had a pig carcass cooking in it. I don't find it "vegetarian friendly".

What should I tell him. I really hate turning down his cooking, especially when hes all proud thinking he made something I can actually eat. I have no idea what/how to tell him that I'm not going to eat his soup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Animal broths are not vegetarian friendly. I would just let him know what vegetarians do not eat: meat, poultry, fish, gelatin, and meat based broths, stocks, soups, etc... If something was cooked with a piece of animal in it, it isn't vegetarian.

Suggest this split pea recipe. It's really easy and delicious: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/9642?printer=yes

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 01-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

You need to let him know it's not Veggie friendly. Otherwise he'll just keep making food like that. The soup does, after all, still have the meat juices in it. That's why it's in there in the first place. That's the flavour. I'm sure he'll understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-01-2008, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

What they said...and make sure you re-iterate how awesome you think his gesture was and that you appreciate his efforts!
#5 Old 01-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

A little liquid smoke will give vegetarian split pea soup an "authentic homestyle" flavor.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#6 Old 01-01-2008, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

This reminds me of my sister's boyfriend's dad. He made some stuffing for Christmas. One was "vegetarian friendly" and the other had chicken chunks in it. The "vegetarian" stuffing was made with chicken broth, he just didn't put the actual chunks of chicken in it. There is also an Italian place I used to eat at that has "vegetarians favorite pasta" and it contains chicken broth.

Don't feel bad about kindly explaining to your dad that the soup isn't really vegetarian friendly. Better you do it now than later. If you wait until he's made several dishes like that, he'll be confused as to why you don't want to eat his vegetarian cooking.
#7 Old 01-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

A little liquid smoke will give vegetarian split pea soup an "authentic homestyle" flavor.

So does homemade seitan ham.. but it's a little complicated for a newbie!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#8 Old 01-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Beginner

Murloc!!!

Sorry if anyone is confused I'm referring to Rabid_Child's avatar.

I have to agree with everyone else that you should sit down with him and explain what you can't eat as a vegetarian but also be sure to tell him how much you appreciate his support. Perhaps, if you have the money, you could even buy a vegetarian cook book for him to give him ideas and offer to help prepare the meals. That way you can both learn how to cook the new dishes.
#9 Old 01-02-2008, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

People just assume that because you're not eating the animal itself, that it's vegetarian friendly. I blame overly lenient vegetarians who only eliminate meat itself, but nothing else. Also, omnis don't realize how much animal product is in their food because they don't think twice about it. If an animal had to die to make broth, then it's not vegetarian.
#10 Old 01-03-2008, 08:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks everyone! I showed my dad how to make a veg Lasagna yesterday, and he loved it! I think I'm just going to start showing him how to make a few of my favorite recipes, because I think he felt good when I ate the lasagna he helped make. I also gave him the recipe for the veg Split Pea soup, and hes going to make it tomorrow.
#11 Old 01-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

thats awesome Iluvbroc! who knows, with all these yummy recipes, maybe your dad and rest of the family will be eating more veg food! (btw, you can also use smoked tofu in the split pea soup as well)

and i think it is soooo sweet for your dad to be so willing and open to learn new cooking methods and supporting you. so many times we hear the opposite from parents, its nice to hear this.
#12 Old 01-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Yaya! My dad ate another one of my veg recipes today...I kinda made it up randomly, its like a cream of broccoli pasta casserole thingy...super yum, and my dad ate all the leftovers before I got home. So, its working out well.
#13 Old 01-04-2008, 08:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilurvebroccoli View Post

Yaya! My dad ate another one of my veg recipes today...I kinda made it up randomly, its like a cream of broccoli pasta casserole thingy...super yum, and my dad ate all the leftovers before I got home. So, its working out well.

That's great! I love it when omnis realize that we eat good foods too.
#14 Old 01-05-2008, 07:28 PM

I have been in this same situation so many times. It is very hard especially when they feel like they really have done something special for you. My father gets so upset when I wont eat what he prepares. But all I do is say to myself, there is a reason why you have chosen to eat this way, dont let the pressures of the world hinder you, even if it is hard to turn them away.
#15 Old 01-10-2008, 07:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm glad it's working out so well. And your Dad is great for being so willing to prepare and eat veg!
#16 Old 01-11-2008, 09:43 AM
Veggie Regular

That's so awesome that your dad is that supportive!! My fam's really supportive too! They rock my socks!!
#17 Old 01-12-2008, 03:56 AM
Beginner

Aww, I just had that happen to me when I went home for Christmas. My Grandpa got this idea that vegetarians subsist on salads and soups, so he wanted to make me a soup. He made vegetable soup with chicken broth, and when I explained I couldn't eat it, he was like, "but I put broccoli in it!!" Chicken broth has the word *chicken* in it! Sheesh!!!

I really felt sooo badly that I almost ate it, but I think he got the point and realized I felt badly..I'm sure your dad will do the same!
#18 Old 01-12-2008, 04:04 AM
Beginner

Oh, also...sorry if you already know about this, but because you weren't sure about the soup I wasn't sure if you knew that foods like sour cream (check because some are ok and some aren't), marshmallows, starbursts, gummy worms, etc. are also not vegetarian because they contain gelatin. Many salad dressings and other random sauces contain fish oil, so check the label!

I didn't know any of that stuff at first, but if you look through this site you'll find more info on that.
#19 Old 01-17-2008, 05:35 PM

It's so awesome your dad is so supportive!! Both my parents scoff at my hippy tendencies and hope it passes. haha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page