Actual killing vs. poor treatment/methods of killing animals? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-21-2007, 06:19 PM

Hi, sorry for sounding ignorant but I was wondering: are a majority of vegetarians/vegans against simply killing animals to eat (no matter how they are killed/treated) no exceptions, or just against the way the animals are treated and killed?

Thanks,

Jenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-21-2007, 06:19 PM

Hi, sorry for sounding ignorant but I was wondering: are a majority of vegetarians/vegans against simply killing animals to eat (no matter how they are killed/treated) no exceptions, or just against the way the animals are treated and killed?

Thanks,

Jenny
#3 Old 12-21-2007, 06:31 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I believe killing unnecessarily is moral abhorrent.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-21-2007, 06:31 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I believe killing unnecessarily is moral abhorrent.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#5 Old 12-21-2007, 06:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Like Kiz, i am opposed to any killing that is not absolutely necessary as well as the way the animals are treated.
#6 Old 12-21-2007, 06:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Like Kiz, i am opposed to any killing that is not absolutely necessary as well as the way the animals are treated.
#7 Old 12-21-2007, 06:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Everyone is different. I don't have a problem with meat, but I do believe animals should be treated humanely.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#8 Old 12-21-2007, 06:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Everyone is different. I don't have a problem with meat, but I do believe animals should be treated humanely.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#9 Old 12-21-2007, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Animal Welfare vs. Animal Rights.

AFAIK there are more AW's on veggieboards, and probably in general. Most AR's are vegan so considering there are less of us than other forms there are probably less AR's.
#10 Old 12-21-2007, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Animal Welfare vs. Animal Rights.

AFAIK there are more AW's on veggieboards, and probably in general. Most AR's are vegan so considering there are less of us than other forms there are probably less AR's.
#11 Old 12-21-2007, 09:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I became vegetarian originally because of the cruelty in the way animals are killed. Gradually, I became convinced that eating any animal no matter its treatment is cruelty.
#12 Old 12-21-2007, 09:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I became vegetarian originally because of the cruelty in the way animals are killed. Gradually, I became convinced that eating any animal no matter its treatment is cruelty.
#13 Old 12-21-2007, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I simply believe in the adage that, "Animals are Not Ours to Eat, Wear, or Experiment on."

And the fact that I work with animals on a daily basis ((usually of the canine and feline type)) ...how could I just go home and eat one of their kind? That was a huge revelation for me.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#14 Old 12-21-2007, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I simply believe in the adage that, "Animals are Not Ours to Eat, Wear, or Experiment on."

And the fact that I work with animals on a daily basis ((usually of the canine and feline type)) ...how could I just go home and eat one of their kind? That was a huge revelation for me.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#15 Old 12-21-2007, 11:24 PM
Veggie Regular

When I adopted a vegan-type diet (and read up on it since I wrongly thought I'd be lacking in nutrition) it wasn't because I saw anything wrong with eating meat. In fact, I thought eating meat was totally okay, and natural, but THE WAY WE ARE DOING THINGS NOW IS WRONG....PERIOD!!!

I had plans of raising my own chickens, and buying from locals who had raw milk, beef, pork, etc...and where I could SEE how the animals were being treated...etc...

However...

Once I started eating like a vegan (because I'm too lazy to go find "happy" meat) my perceptions began to change...and I realized that meat eating is NOT necessary, is UNnatural, and very UNhealthy. I'm never going back to meat-eating...no matter how 'happy' the meat is...just because (I'll say it again) it is unnecessary, a waste of our natural resources, and abusive to the environment.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#16 Old 12-21-2007, 11:24 PM
Veggie Regular

When I adopted a vegan-type diet (and read up on it since I wrongly thought I'd be lacking in nutrition) it wasn't because I saw anything wrong with eating meat. In fact, I thought eating meat was totally okay, and natural, but THE WAY WE ARE DOING THINGS NOW IS WRONG....PERIOD!!!

I had plans of raising my own chickens, and buying from locals who had raw milk, beef, pork, etc...and where I could SEE how the animals were being treated...etc...

However...

Once I started eating like a vegan (because I'm too lazy to go find "happy" meat) my perceptions began to change...and I realized that meat eating is NOT necessary, is UNnatural, and very UNhealthy. I'm never going back to meat-eating...no matter how 'happy' the meat is...just because (I'll say it again) it is unnecessary, a waste of our natural resources, and abusive to the environment.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#17 Old 12-21-2007, 11:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I think all exploitation is wrong, animals are not commodities.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#18 Old 12-21-2007, 11:59 PM
Veggie Regular

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#19 Old 12-22-2007, 12:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Exactly. When I hear about "free-range farms" and such I wonder if those in favour of those places would feel it's ok to slit the throat of a dog that has been able to run around on the farm. I think most would say no.
#20 Old 12-22-2007, 12:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Exactly. When I hear about "free-range farms" and such I wonder if those in favour of those places would feel it's ok to slit the throat of a dog that has been able to run around on the farm. I think most would say no.
#21 Old 12-22-2007, 12:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

You can't prove that animals are not commodities.
#22 Old 12-22-2007, 12:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

#23 Old 12-22-2007, 12:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Ultimately, people are not moved by proofs.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#24 Old 12-22-2007, 12:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Ultimately, people are not moved by proofs.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#25 Old 12-22-2007, 01:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh? Then what moves them? Besides cars and stuff.

I was thinking about this. It seems that anything can become a commodity if enough people in power decide it is. Like when people became a commodity during slavery times. Are you giving your opinion when you say animals are not a commodity?
#26 Old 12-22-2007, 01:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh? Then what moves them? Besides cars and stuff.

I was thinking about this. It seems that anything can become a commodity if enough people in power decide it is. Like when people became a commodity during slavery times. Are you giving your opinion when you say animals are not a commodity?
#27 Old 12-22-2007, 01:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sun View Post

Is there anything that can be proven though?

Ultimately all our beliefs rest on our assumptions (some may call them opinions). I think people do treat just about everything as commodities, except themselves (although that may be debatable). However, I think it's inconsistent and unreasonable to claim that one sentient life is a commodity and another is not based on some arbitrariness as race or species. Or if one is not prepared to admit that their own self is also a commodity, then I can't see that they can claim that another sentient life is a commodity.

I believe everything.
#28 Old 12-22-2007, 01:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Is there anything that can be proven though?

Ultimately all our beliefs rest on our assumptions (some may call them opinions). I think people do treat just about everything as commodities, except themselves (although that may be debatable). However, I think it's inconsistent and unreasonable to claim that one sentient life is a commodity and another is not based on some arbitrariness as race or species. Or if one is not prepared to admit that their own self is also a commodity, then I can't see that they can claim that another sentient life is a commodity.

I believe everything.
#29 Old 12-22-2007, 01:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Oh? Then what moves them?

The way they emotionally relate to others, the way they want to identify themselves as a part of different social groups, etc.

Quote:

Yes, I'm expressing my ethical view. Of course animals are treated as a commodity -- in a most fundamental manner -- but that does not reflect the moral status I think they have, as inherently valuable individuals.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#30 Old 12-22-2007, 01:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Oh? Then what moves them?

The way they emotionally relate to others, the way they want to identify themselves as a part of different social groups, etc.

Quote:

Yes, I'm expressing my ethical view. Of course animals are treated as a commodity -- in a most fundamental manner -- but that does not reflect the moral status I think they have, as inherently valuable individuals.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page