Medical Bibliography on veganism - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-17-2007, 03:32 PM

Hello

My medical diccionary warns about the Tropical Macrocitic Anemia (lack of b-12 vitamin).

It would be basic, in my opinion, to expose acredited bibliographic references on Traditional Vegetarian/Vegan Populations, or modern, as e.g. International Comunity of Krishna...as well as the up-to-date biochemical research.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-19-2007, 10:32 PM
Beginner

Your intestinal flora makes b-12 cause like COME ON! How does a cow gets b-12 and their strict vegans and we dont? Just dont kill mass populations of these intestinal flora with antiobiotics, onions,garlic,ginger and maybe more. you should eat onions,garlic and ginger but not as a daily diet.

Anyway! your body excretes b-12 in bile, which then gets reabsorbed and reused. The only way it wont get reabsorbed is if u have stress or on medication.
#3 Old 12-19-2007, 11:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Due to intrinsic factor, some people can't synthesize B-12 either from diet alone or from plant-based sources. Intra-muscular injections of B vitamins can help.

I get regular B-12, B-complex and folic acid injections.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-21-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Due to intrinsic factor, some people can't synthesize B-12. I get regular B-12, B-complex and folic acid injections.

Thanks

But what i want is suggested medical Bibliography, or an acredited link, we can´t make experiments with our health.

A naturophatic physician toll me there is a Medical German Magazine about Old Crudivorist Communities. Do you know the name?

#5 Old 01-25-2008, 07:46 PM

I did a search for wheat grass on wickipedia and the article mentioned, near the end, about the scientific proof of B12 in wheat grass.

This chart under health claims shows B12 at 0.30mcg.

Funny, that after 12 years of veg I have never heard of a non animal source of B12 until today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat_grass#Health_claims

I would definetly like to hear more good news about B12 in wheat grass.

Kevin

www.plumflowermantisboxing.com
#6 Old 01-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Wheatgrass has b12, Spirulina and blue-green algae have b12, Inca Berries have b12........

Also wheatgrass is the shiznit. One ounce (a shot glass) of wheatgrass juice has 103 vitamins and minerals and one ounce is the equivalent of 2 and a half pounds of vegetables.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#7 Old 01-25-2008, 11:17 PM
Veggie Regular

wheat germ as well, and fortified nutritional yeast
#8 Old 01-26-2008, 05:07 AM
Banned

Vitamin B 12 supplements are very cheap since you only need .008 milligrams a day. That is 8 micrograms. If you take 20 times the daily requirement of vitamin A or D, it can kill you. You can take 3 years worth of vitamin B-12 at one time and store it.

A macrobiotic chef who is on TV had an anyeurism at 40 due to lack of B-12. See this site on Superior Nutrition that tells why you should not use vitamin supplements but explains why vitamin B-12 should be taken by everyone even meat eaters. It is somewhat complex with the B-12 analogs and such. We used to get more B-12 when everything we ate was not all sterilized.

Animals can get B-12 by eating vegetables that are not washed. The B-12 produced in our intestines is too far down for us to use. But they did find people in Iraq that grew vegetables using their feces as fertilizer and did not wash the vegetables well would get B-12 from them. On the site above go to the page on healing depression. It tells of a group of super health experts who have the best testimonials anywhere. They are so precise that they eat a diet of healthy vegan foods but 85% raw and 15% cooked. Now that is precise. They take B-12 supplements now after having them tested for it and having deficiencies. Again though you can store B-12 for years.

So you can be vegan and eat dirty vegetables or eat clean vegetables and take a very cheap supplement once a week. My B-12 pills have 16,000% of the daily requirement so I do not take them everyday. That is 160 days worth in each pill. That group is totally against vitamin supplements but found that in our clean society it is necessary. When I was a kid we had wild growing carrots all around in Philadelphia. I would pull them out, wipe off the dirt and eat.
#9 Old 01-26-2008, 08:43 AM

After three weeks of eating a vegan diet I have a suspected deficiency. The corners of my mouth are split, my ND suspects it's a deficiency, I had this before when I had switched to a vegan diet in the past. It's not always about storing but about absorption. I take a lozenge (sp?) that disolves in my mouth daily but I may have to go for shots. I'm keeping a close eye on my children, they get a multi everyday but it does not cover their daily requirements for B12 so my ND has asked that I supplement with a straight liquid version for them as well. Sorry for hijacking this post I know that it's not what the orginal poster was looking for but I just wanted to share my experience.
#10 Old 08-21-2008, 01:15 PM

Marmite is a good source of B12.I add it to my food .It adds a beefy flavour too. It does not taste as strong if you dilute 1 to 2 tsp in a cup or two of boiling water then add to your dishes that you want to add a beefy flavour too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page