How long does it take? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-21-2007, 06:37 PM

How long does it take for someone to be a vegetarian. Let's say someone stops eating meat for a month. Is that person automatically considered a vegetarian?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-21-2007, 06:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure you ca measure it with a timeline...in my opinion you can consider yourself a vegetarian as soon as you stop eating meat if you have the intention of not eating meat again....kind of like a 'pure of heart' thing. Only you can know what your true intentions are and how you feel about becoming a vegetarian.
#3 Old 11-21-2007, 06:54 PM
Administrator

If you decide you want to be a vegetarian and stop eating meat then I'd think you're a vegetarian.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-21-2007, 07:33 PM

so wat about those people who only last a month or so because it's just too hard for them to handle the strict diet of a vegetarian, and they come back and forth every other month being vegetarian?
#5 Old 11-21-2007, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusX View Post

so wat about those people who only last a month or so because it's just too hard for them to handle the strict diet of a vegetarian, and they come back and forth every other month being vegetarian?

Then they were vegetarian for a month.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 11-21-2007, 09:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

I'm not sure you ca measure it with a timeline...in my opinion you can consider yourself a vegetarian as soon as you stop eating meat if you have the intention of not eating meat again....kind of like a 'pure of heart' thing. Only you can know what your true intentions are and how you feel about becoming a vegetarian.

Exactly. You have to be committed.

"May all that have life be delivered from suffering."
~ Buddha
#7 Old 11-22-2007, 03:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Maybe it's like smoking...some people give up bad habits easier than others. You keep trying until you get it. I've been meat free for three years so I've been vegetarian for three years. If I start eating meat tomorrow then I'm no longer a vegetarian. Next week if I decide to give it a go again I'll be a vegetarian.

Maybe if someone is really having a hard time with the transition and they keep going back and forth they can call themselves a Vegetarian in Progress.

I'm feeling somewhat like the chain is being yanked in which case

If not then
#8 Old 11-22-2007, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Maybe it's like smoking...some people give up bad habits easier than others. You keep trying until you get it. I've been meat free for three years so I've been vegetarian for three years. If I start eating meat tomorrow then I'm no longer a vegetarian. Next week if I decide to give it a go again I'll be a vegetarian.

Maybe if someone is really having a hard time with the transition and they keep going back and forth they can call themselves a Vegetarian in Progress.

I'm feeling somewhat like the chain is being yanked in which case

If not then

I agree with the thing about smoking. for some people it's easier to give up meat. Some can say "Okay I'm vegan" after being omni for their entire lives, some people have a hard time becoming ovo-lacto- over the course of trying for a year.
#9 Old 11-23-2007, 10:24 AM

It is really about YOUR intentions and feelings that make you a vegetarian. I personally wouldn't feel right if I told people I was vegetarian even though I switched back and forth every month.

I have currently been vegetarian for about six months. I haven't looked back once. I know that I am a vegetarian because I have no intention of going backwards.
#10 Old 11-23-2007, 11:36 AM

I've often wondered this myself since I've struggled with it for years now. I've been meat-free for over a month now and just finished my first meat-free Thanksgiving. I guess until I get a year under my belt I'm a vegetarian in progress.
#11 Old 11-24-2007, 11:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I am into my 7th day without meat. I am not missing it at all. I consider myself a vegetarian.

My first intention was to transition slowly, and announced it as such. But after thinking about that method, I knew it would not work for me. I just cut out meat, period. The meat replacements such as Boca burgers, vegan no-chicken nuggets, and the Tofurkey products are helping me greatly!!! And yeah, I really do like those Boca Orginal Vegan burgers. Those nuggets? No, I didn't slather them with ketchup either. We just have to find out own likes, slowly, and sort it all out over time.

I actually quit smoking - 15+ years ago - cold turkey in the same manner. I thought, okay I'd cut out so many cigarettes per day. But, it didn't work and finally, I just put the pack down on my dresser and there it stayed.

Maybe it helped me that I could always go to the store and buy a pack. This is the way it is with meat. If I want a steak... hell, I live in a free country... and there's a Lonestar Steakhouse down the block. This might seem like tempation to most, for me it's not. Why? Because I can go there any time I want, and I don't want to.

Most people give in and fall off the no-meat wagon, or the no-smoking or no-drinking wagons because they tell themselves, "I can't have it? Who's going to tell me that?" We all know that many times we like to have what we can't have... So, I don't tell myself "You're a vegetarian, so you can not have meat." No, I tell myself... "I can have whatever the heck I want, but I don't want meat." This is what I did when I quit smoking.

Good luck, friends! Keep up the good work. Us Newbies can't give up on ourselves.
#12 Old 11-24-2007, 12:05 PM
Beginner

i fell off the wagon, and ate meat, and it made me want to puke, it wasnt even goos at all. SO now this time around i think i will do much better
#13 Old 11-24-2007, 12:11 PM

I went to veganism cold turkey about three weeks ago, and will say I'm vegan if someone asks.
#14 Old 11-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Some people do this. I've known of people who were vegetarian for various lengths of time and went omni again. One of them was even vegan. But they were vegetarian for the time they abstained from eating meat. Maybe they'll go veg again; maybe they won't.

If they vacillate between being veg and omni every month or so, then I suppose their vegetarianism is a work in progress- and that's okay too!

Edited to add: SayTheWord: good luck- and welcome aboard!

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#15 Old 11-25-2007, 03:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been saying this whole time that I'm "in transition" because I still have so many meat products in my kitchen to eat through...but I just can't do it. I cooked a chicken breat and...seriously just couldn't do it. It smelled...different? Just like my last glass of milk I drank last week...it was...gaggingly nasty??? for some reason???

Anyways, I gave the chicken to my dogs...and I decided today that the rest of the meat-items will be thiers (except the non-dairy creamer...which surprisingly has dairy in it...I'll leave that in the breakroom at work). So, I think I've been vegan for a week now.

YAY ME!!!!!!!!!

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#16 Old 11-25-2007, 04:05 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Heh. I'm quite sure the dogs would have appreciated the chicken.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#17 Old 11-25-2007, 09:51 AM
cuy

I am a vegan in progress and in my opinion, handling others eating their turkey thanksgiving dinners all around me wasn't too hard. I think that is because I have committed myself to being vegan. I think being veggie long term takes will power and commitment.

P.S. I cant wait to see the faces of relatives come Christmas dinner time! hehe..... XD
#18 Old 11-28-2007, 04:37 AM
Banned

I think that the minute you cut all meat, fish and gelatine etc. out of your diet. That you are vegetarian.

In my opinion anyway.

F x
#19 Old 11-28-2007, 09:20 PM

As always I am a pretty liberal person so I believe that if you say your a vegetarian then you are, but it is not fair to the rest of us to say you are for a week then quit then start again then quit...So if you have a "pure heart" about it then say you are a vegetarian from day one, but if you quit don't say you are again unless you have at least gone longer than you did the first time.

There is one exception to my liberal view and that is with veganism. I really believe that if you are new to vegatarian and vegan then you should claim vegetarian and say you are transitioning to vegan because being vegan is so strict. In fact I would be willing to bet that even most vegans do not realize how much is made from animals. Vegan is not just about food and clothes, it is a whole lifestyle change and requires constant research. It is a commitment and if you are not up for the commitment or do not know completely what is required then you should say you are transitioning to veganism.

I am not trying to discourage infact I am attempting to do the opposite. Please be a vegan, vegetarian, etc... just do it right. Even if you are not a full vegetarian (just eat fish etc...) say I am transitioning to a vegetarian diet slowly. I respect people that are reducing their meat intake. If two people cut their meat intake in two then there is one persons worth of meat no longer being consumed. It adds up quickly.

Keep up the good work and remember that this site is for support no matter what stage you are in.
#20 Old 11-29-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:

I know how that is! I did that for about 3 years! At first I thought I would refer to those 3 years as being flexatarian (btw, that IS NOT an accepted term in the veg community), then I thought semi vegetarian and now I've finally decided to say I was off and on for those 3 years. So, now when people ask how long I've been vegetarian I say, "I've been vegetarian for 2 years and I was off and on for about 3 years before that".

In my opinion, you would be an off and on vegetarian until you finally stick with It.
#21 Old 11-29-2007, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular

There are no rules about such things. If you have the intention of never eating meat again, go ahead and call yourself vegetarian. And actually, labeling yourself as such might give you more incentive to stick with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page