Gas!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-12-2007, 10:26 AM

hey guys this message board is awesome!! I have been a vegetarian for about a month now, and i have a sort of embarrassing question! what do you do about the gas? its seems like im really gassy now. I know there are some anti-gas medicines, but since I became vegetarian so i would be more natural, eating less chemicals, etc, it seems crazy to be taking more pills!! Do y'all have any suggestions, or should i just stock up on the bean-o??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-12-2007, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

The exact same thing happened to me when I went veg.

For the first month, the gas was absolutely disgusting.

It's from your body getting used to eating all the extra fiber and different foods.

It will get better, but will probably never go away entirely (which is ok, it means your digestive system is working!)

If you would like something more natural that beano, pick up some Papaya Enzymes from a vitamin shop or Health Food Store.

They really helped me when my boyfriend was about to kick me out onto the patio to live

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#3 Old 11-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular

This too shall pass.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-12-2007, 01:07 PM
Beginner

Yup-had the same problem. I nearly gassed my family to death with my foul stench! Dont worry, it settles down after a while.
#5 Old 11-12-2007, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

This too shall pass.

I've been veggie for three years and it's still a problem...
#6 Old 11-17-2007, 01:50 PM
Beginner

I thought about asking this question... but here it is. I'm about 2 months in and I think my body is getting used to all of these "different" foods. I hope so!
#7 Old 11-17-2007, 03:21 PM

Everybody FARTS!

Say it loud, say it proud, you have no idea how liberating it is.

Most of the time we rush of to a solitary place to gas off, but there is a time in every friendship that you let one slip you just can't hide (usually at the worst possible time). So what if ours smell a bit more, anyone worth knowing won't really mind your smelly farts.
#8 Old 11-17-2007, 06:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Man I love the fart threads

When you eat a high fiber diet, I suppose things do get a bit smelly It's been three or four months for me and Chryssiie now I guess... I don't expect our gassiness to ever really go away heh
#9 Old 11-18-2007, 07:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never noticed an increase in this since I went veg, maybe I'm not eating enough fiber
#10 Old 11-18-2007, 10:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Some foul smelling scents come out of me if I have too much soy milk. I thought it would get better with time, but it's not yet.

It makes me feel like things are working OK. I'd rather get that stuff out of me than have it stay in me!

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields
#11 Old 11-21-2007, 02:21 AM
law
Veggie Regular

when i stopped eating brussel sprouts it went away
#12 Old 11-21-2007, 08:47 AM

If you're going to take something to help be careful with the labels.

According to Vegetarian Cooking for Dummies Beano, both the tablet and liquid form, are made with fish gelatin.
#13 Old 11-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular

my doctor recommended taking charcoal caps. just be careful what you take them with-- i think they can leach other medicines out of intestine, so take them 2 hours before/after any other medications. someone please correct me if im wrong.
#14 Old 11-21-2007, 05:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi,

There's always Beano... but don't use it if you're allergic to penicillin.

My mom always adds baking soda to her beans. About a half teaspoon full to a large pot of fresh pintos or black eyed peas... she says it helps to reduce gas. Another one of her tricks is adding vinegar.
#15 Old 11-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

exercise! Jumping jacks, sit ups, walking around, and yoga all helps to relieve this particular problem. Just run a fan or some music to hide the tooting if you get self concious. lol really though do some jumping jacks and it can all be quite comical.
#16 Old 11-25-2007, 10:47 AM
cuy

You know. I went vegan in september and after making the switch, I found that all my flatulants and gassy embarrasments were gone. Gone completely. I wasn't farting as much as I used to . But yea, I do agree with the others, It does go away in time. Everyone farts, Its only human.
#17 Old 11-27-2007, 09:01 PM

haha, i thought i was the only one. i've turned into a farting machine!! lol!! odd thing is that there is no odour now.
#18 Old 11-27-2007, 09:48 PM
Veggie Regular

When I first went veg I found myself rushing to the store to buy Beano. I was pretty new to the game and had not become the avid label reader I am today. Anyhoo, when I finally did get around to reading the label, it said something about containing redfish and shellfish. Whodathunk?

Anyhoo, I live alone, except for my dog, so I don't really have anybody to worry about offending. I mean, um, girls don't do that fart thing you guys have been talking about...

(He who has not broken wind on their dog's head cast the first stone.)
#19 Old 11-27-2007, 09:56 PM

Gas is healthy! Lets you know your body isn't all gooped up, intestinally.
#20 Old 11-28-2007, 03:21 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I think I must be the only vegetarian who doesn't fart more than the average population. And I'm not gooped up, either, I poo at least once a day. No bloating, either.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#21 Old 11-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't mind the farting...I mean, I work around a bunch of mechanics, and it kinda goes with the territory.

It's the PAINFUL TRAPPED GAS I've had the problem with. From SOY products!!!

Even as an omni, I LOVED soymilk...but couldn't drink it. I'd buy a small container of vanilla soymilk, pour it into a shotglass, and sip it. Any more than that and I'd be curled up in bed crying.

When I went vegan...it finally dawned on me that soybeans were beans ...and that beano should work!!!

It WORKS!!!! But, it is made with fish stuff... Bummer... It's the only non-vegan thing I'm allowing into my diet, mostly because it's making the whole diet change possible.

But, Papaya enzymes??? Baking Soda??? Vinegar???

I'll have to try those instead.

And, hopefully like the rest of you, my body will adjust.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#22 Old 11-30-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyPerv View Post

I don't mind the farting...I mean, I work around a bunch of mechanics, and it kinda goes with the territory.

It's the PAINFUL TRAPPED GAS I've had the problem with. From SOY products!!!

there are tons of other options out there than soy products. have you tried almond milk?? also for food, lentils, white navy beans (those are the best), black beans, etc...tons more beans other than soy.
#23 Old 11-30-2007, 11:06 PM
Veggie Regular

My animal science teacher told us that it's normal to have fart at least 20 times a day (that's the average).

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#24 Old 12-05-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:

It's the PAINFUL TRAPPED GAS I've had the problem with.

Oh dear, I had this problem last week while staying with a friend (also veg). At 3am I had an attack of the painful trapped gas and lay in bed crying. I finally told him what the problem was and (sweet guy) he ran to the closest 24-hour store and picked up medicine... which we realized after I'd already taken the dose that there was gelatin in it!
#25 Old 12-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakapotimus View Post

Oh dear, I had this problem last week while staying with a friend (also veg). At 3am I had an attack of the painful trapped gas and lay in bed crying. I finally told him what the problem was and (sweet guy) he ran to the closest 24-hour store and picked up medicine... which we realized after I'd already taken the dose that there was gelatin in it!

Awwwww...

It's the thought that counts, though.

Sounds like a real sweeite!

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#26 Old 12-07-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:

It's the thought that counts, though.

I know! He's a nice guy. He said he just wanted to hurry up at the store, so he picked up the cheapest medicine and paid for it without checking the ingredients. I told him that didn't make him a bad veg for being too concerned about a sick friend.

Although I won't make the mistake again! Next time I'm traveling with gas meds.
#27 Old 10-09-2008, 07:52 AM

I've been eating a mostly vegetarian diet for about 3 months and still am very gassy. What can I do? I don't want to give up on it just because of the gas. I don't mind it but it is embarassing- especially when I am working with one other person and it obvious its me.

one note- I do take probiotics which helped a ton before I started taking an antibiotic for my skin- the gas is much worse, or so it seems, when I take antibiotics. I would go off the med. but it is the only thing that helps my acne. and believe me, I have tried everything.

thanks for any tips!
#28 Old 10-09-2008, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by x__Jasper View Post

Everybody FARTS!

Say it loud, say it proud, you have no idea how liberating it is.

Most of the time we rush of to a solitary place to gas off, but there is a time in every friendship that you let one slip you just can't hide (usually at the worst possible time). So what if ours smell a bit more, anyone worth knowing won't really mind your smelly farts.

I agree! A friend once told me that's how you know when you're truly comfortable around someone. Fortunately there's only one person that I care to be that comfortable with - my wife. And sometimes that's a bit much.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#29 Old 10-09-2008, 08:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Bean-zyme is the same as Beano, and it's vegan. I don't know what stores you can get it in, I got it off of Amazon.
#30 Old 10-10-2008, 08:40 AM
Banned

Hello Everyone,

I am sorry to hear about some of your gas problems you have been having now that you are on a soy diet.

I wanted to let you know about a product that is completely natural that can help you relieve your gas. CharcoCaps is an activated charcoal tablet or (Carbo Vegetablis) that helps you reduce the gas and bloating that can be attributed sudden changes in diet or eating certain foods.

I hope that this will help some of you so you don't experience the bloating and gas pains that kept you up at night.

These tablets are available at CVS and other retail drugstores.

Good luck!!!

Gary

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page