Help! Cheese alternatives that taste GOOD?? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-07-2007, 11:25 AM

I've found excellent non-dairy alternatives for milk, yogurt, and ice cream - but I'm still struggling with cheese. To put it bluntly, they all stink! The milk/yogurt/ice cream alternatives I've found both locally and online actually taste great, as good as or better than the originals in most cases, but I just haven't found a good cheese alternative. I just tried Vegan Gourmet (which came with good recommendations), and while it is better than others I still don't care for the taste/texture:

http://www.imearthkind.com/Main.htm

I haven't tried all the Vegan Gourment flavors yet so I can't completely rule them out. I've tried some local tofu-based cheese as well but that just didn't have any flavor at all. I felt like sprinkling some salt on top, lol. I don't want to cut "cheese" out of my diet, but I also don't want a mediocre replacement. I'm somewhat dairy intolerant (not just lactose but also casein and whey) so I'm trying to cut it totally out of my diet.

What do you suggest? I've heard goat cheese is decent but I haven't been able to find it anywhere locally yet. I've found a number of options after searching online but rather than blowing money trying every brand in existence until I found one I liked, I figured I'd ask the experts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-07-2007, 06:41 PM
Veggie Regular

The further you get away from dairy cheese the better fake cheeses taste, but they never really taste like real cheese.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 11-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

The further you get away from dairy cheese the better fake cheeses taste, but they never really taste like real cheese.

This is true for me too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-07-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:

Agreed.

This is why I never was able to do the fake cheeses...I want the real thing or nothing. And since I definitely don't want the real thing, NOTHING IT IS!
#5 Old 11-08-2007, 06:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't had much luck with commercially made soy/rice cheeses, but I have drooled over the pizza recipes in Tofu-n-Sprouts blog - she uses a homemade "cheese" sauce. http://tofu-n-sproutz.blogspot.com/
#6 Old 11-08-2007, 08:10 AM

Quote:

Yeah unfortunately there are great substitutes for everything but cheese so far. Potato milk (DariFree) tastes exactly like real milk to me, except for the aftertaste, Tofutti and another brand whose name escapes me tastes just like real ice cream, the fake butter is decent and the soy yogurt is a tad dry-tasting but still very edible. But cheese? Ugh! I hope they come out with a better alternative in the future...
#7 Old 11-09-2007, 02:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Have you tried Cheezly? I think it tasted pretty good. There are a lot of different flavors too, including Cheddar and Gouda. It doesn't taste exactly like real cheese (obviously) but I think it’s the closest thing to it.
#8 Old 11-09-2007, 03:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Edam cheezly tastes like babybel. its impossible to find though (and the only one ill eat, haha)
#9 Old 11-09-2007, 04:00 AM

ditto to what rc said about time. I can enjoy "cheesy" things now, but they don't taste like dairy cheese.

Do you have certain dishes/products that you miss more than others? We may be able to offer some suggestions. I used to crave Cheezits, for example, but these sourdough crackers worked well. Nutritional yeast makes a pretty good Mac and Cheez, etc.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#10 Old 11-09-2007, 04:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

I used to crave Cheezits, for example, but these sourdough crackers worked well.

OK, I have to know... What sourdough crackers are you using? Cheezits were my alltime favorite snack.
#11 Old 11-09-2007, 07:25 AM

I haven't had them in a long time, but the ones I liked were the sourdough ones from Whole Foods. 365 Brand. They didn't taste like Cheezits, mind you, but for some reason, they helped with the craving. Seriously, I think I would've sold my soul to the devil himself a couple of years ago. (I have issues with salt )

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#12 Old 11-09-2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyssinian View Post

Have you tried Cheezly? I think it tasted pretty good. There are a lot of different flavors too, including Cheddar and Gouda. It doesn't taste exactly like real cheese (obviously) but I think its the closest thing to it.

Nope, haven't tried Cheezly. This review of it looks good though:

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/food/soya-ch...neral/1013684/

My local stores don't carry it (Whole Foods and Stop & Shop), but I'm willing to order it online if necessary. What flavors do you guys recommend?
#13 Old 11-09-2007, 08:55 AM

"Sheeshe" also has good reviews, anyone tried it?

http://bittersweetblog.wordpress.com...ng-the-sheese/
#14 Old 11-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaidomac View Post

"Sheeshe" also has good reviews, anyone tried it?

http://bittersweetblog.wordpress.com...ng-the-sheese/

it's awful!

I haven't had it since they changed the name (they dropped a "c" from "Scheese") so maybe they changed the recipe too?

but cheezly is lovely. I don't know if you can get it in the US (I think that's where you are?) but if you can, you should. Go for an "extra melting" variety.
#15 Old 11-09-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

it's awful!

I haven't had it since they changed the name (they dropped a "c" from "Scheese") so maybe they changed the recipe too?

but cheezly is lovely. I don't know if you can get it in the US (I think that's where you are?) but if you can, you should. Go for an "extra melting" variety.

Yeah I'm in the US. I found a couple places online that sell it, but they only seem to stock the white variety (mozzarella etc.). Gimme my cheddar, dangit! lol. At $7 or so a block for the Sheeshe, I guess it's worth trying once since it seems more readily available than the Cheezly.
#16 Old 11-09-2007, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I have fallen in love with ALMOND CHEESE. I find it tastes superior to the Follow Your Heart brand, and it's not very expensive (just over two dollars for 8 ounces). As far as taste, it's more like a very mild cheese. The mozzarella flavor isn't all that great...it's OK...the cheddar flavor is better, but the jalapeño flavor is DA BOMB.

It's even excellent sliced in thin slices for cheese sticks. And it's made with ALMONDS, one of the best foods for you, so it's a very smart choice.

It's made my Lisanatti.

Here is some additional information on this marvelous product:

http://nz.answers.yahoo.com/question...6130015AAEfIQV

There are a TON of different varieties:

Lisanatti

Almnd Chz-Cheddar \t\t

8 oz \t\t\t\t

$3.69 \t\t\t

\t \t\tLisanatti

Almnd Chz-Garlic&Herb \t\t

8 oz \t\t\t\t

$3.69 \t\t\t

\t \t\tLisanatti

Almnd Chz-Jalapeno Jack \t\t

8 OZ \t\t\t\t

$3.69 \t\t\t

\t \t\tLisanatti

Almnd Chz-Mozzarella \t\t

8 oz \t\t\t\t

$3.69 \t\t\t

\t \t\tLisanatti

Cheddar Prem Soy Cheese \t\t

11 OZ \t\t\t\t

$3.55 \t\t\t

\t \t\tLisanatti

Cheddar Rice Cheese \t\t

11 OZ \t\t\t\t

$3.55 \t\t\t

\t \t\tLisanatti

Cheddar Soy Shredded Cheese \t\t

8 OZ \t\t\t\t

$3.69 \t\t\t

\t \t\tLisanatti

Lis Prem Soy Cheddar Slc \t\t

8 oz \t\t\t\t

$3.79 \t\t\t

\t \t\tLisanatti

Lis Prem Soy Ppr Jk Slc \t\t

8 oz \t\t\t\t

$3.49 \t\t\t

\t \t\tLisanatti

Mozzarel Soy Shredded Cheese \t\t

8 OZ \t\t\t\t

$3.69 \t\t\t

\t \t\tLisanatti

Mozzarela Prem Soy Cheese \t\t

11 OZ \t\t\t\t

$3.55 \t\t\t

\t \t\tLisanatti

Mozzarella Rice Cheese \t\t

11 OZ \t\t\t\t

$3.55 \t\t\t

\t \t\tLisanatti

Pepper Jack Rice Cheese \t\t

11 OZ \t\t\t\t

$3.55 \t\t\t

\t \t\tLisanatti

Peppr Jck Prem Soy Cheese \t\t

11 OZ \t\t\t\t

$4.69 \t\t\t

\t \t\tLisanatti

Swiss Soy Slice Cheese \t\t

8 oz \t\t\t\t

$3.79 \t\t\t

I found it at Whole Foods...they only had the three flavors I mentioned, but I think I will see if they can special order some of the other flavors. I'd consider buying a case.

And the price I gave is how much I paid for it at Whole Foods, but I'd spend 4.00 for this stuff. It totally ROCKS. I wish this stuff was available EVERYWHERE.

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields
#17 Old 11-10-2007, 01:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I think this might just be Australian but I don't mind the Kingland Cheddar cheese (they make a black pepper, garden herb and seasame poppy variety as well but I've only ever seen the cheddar). It doesn't taste great on it's own but I think on nachos or in a toasted sandwich or in pizza it's pretty good - certainly a good enough substitute to the real thing for me.
#18 Old 11-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaidomac View Post

Nope, haven't tried Cheezly. This review of it looks good though:

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/food/soya-ch...neral/1013684/

My local stores don't carry it (Whole Foods and Stop & Shop), but I'm willing to order it online if necessary. What flavors do you guys recommend?

I like the cheddar one. I have only tried cheddar and gouda though. I think vegan essentials carry it.
#19 Old 11-18-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calhoun07 View Post

I have fallen in love with ALMOND CHEESE. I find it tastes superior to the Follow Your Heart brand, and it's not very expensive (just over two dollars for 8 ounces). As far as taste, it's more like a very mild cheese. The mozzarella flavor isn't all that great...it's OK...the cheddar flavor is better, but the jalapeño flavor is DA BOMB.

It's even excellent sliced in thin slices for cheese sticks. And it's made with ALMONDS, one of the best foods for you, so it's a very smart choice.

It's made my Lisanatti.

Here is some additional information on this marvelous product:

http://nz.answers.yahoo.com/question...6130015AAEfIQV

Ahh looks like it has casein...I just found out I'm allergic to dairy (Type 2 Milk Allergy), which is why I joined this board. The dairy allergy includes lactose, casein, and whey. Stupid casein lol.
#20 Old 11-18-2007, 07:19 PM
Veggie Regular

The almond cheeses in the US have casein in them too, which sucks, because they come in lots of great flavors (like jalapeno), they are really low in fat and have a good amount of protein.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#21 Old 11-18-2007, 08:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

The almond cheeses in the US have casein in them too, which sucks, because they come in lots of great flavors (like jalapeno), they are really low in fat and have a good amount of protein.

grrrrr. i just picked up some of that....dang it! even though im not vegan yet, i attempt to eat so all the time. poo.

i think replacing alot of cheese...like a nacho sauce, or mac n cheese sauce, it is easier b/c you can add other flavorings (like the jalepeno, garlic, pureed garlic, onion, etc) which can disguise a bit the lack of real cheese flavor.

for those of you who have tried the other cheezes...how do yo ucompare them to follow your heart? ive heard that you should broil it in orderr to melt it, but what do you all think of the taste??
#22 Old 11-18-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Yeah that's a bummer. Right now the cheese I use the most is the American-flavored Soy cheese from Tofutti, sold in slices like Kraft or Velvetta. It's pretty decent if (1) you mix it with enough other flavors and (2) you let it cool after cooking. Here's a recipe for a simple but good grilled cheese sandwich:

Ingredients:

2 slices of bread (I like honey wheat)

Mayo

Dijon mustard

Butter alternative (Earth Balance works well)

2 slices of Tofutti American-flavored Soy cheese

Instructions:

1. Butter the outside of the bread

2. Spread a small dollop of mayo and 2 small squirts of dijon mustard on each inside piece

3. Bake until brown (I grill it on one of those small $15 George Foreman grills with great results)

4. Let cool for 5 minutes or so

It looks a bit weird when cooking and the Soy cheese liquifies, so you have to let it cool enough to where it's solid again before eating. Don't even cut it until it's cooled because it's too runny. Makes a great sandwich though
#23 Old 11-18-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidAnne View Post

grrrrr. i just picked up some of that....dang it! even though im not vegan yet, i attempt to eat so all the time. poo.

i think replacing alot of cheese...like a nacho sauce, or mac n cheese sauce, it is easier b/c you can add other flavorings (like the jalepeno, garlic, pureed garlic, onion, etc) which can disguise a bit the lack of real cheese flavor.

for those of you who have tried the other cheezes...how do yo ucompare them to follow your heart? ive heard that you should broil it in orderr to melt it, but what do you all think of the taste??

So far I like Tofutti more than Vegan Gourmet. I've found that Vegan Gourmet tastes better if you put it in a baggie for a few days - it seems to dry out once you unwrap it from the original packaging, which makes it seem more like real cheese. However Vegan Gourment doesn't seem to live up to it's "it melts!" advertisement very much. I had a baked potato the other day and microwaved it for over 3 minutes and the stuff STILL didn't melt, lol. The Tofutti is the opposite - it turns into liquid when you heat it for a long time. I think the bottom line with cheese alternatives is that you need other flavors to support it. The less ingredients you put in a dish, the more you're going to notice that your cheese isn't real cheese.
#24 Old 11-18-2007, 08:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

I haven't had them in a long time, but the ones I liked were the sourdough ones from Whole Foods. 365 Brand. They didn't taste like Cheezits, mind you, but for some reason, they helped with the craving. Seriously, I think I would've sold my soul to the devil himself a couple of years ago. (I have issues with salt )

Ooh, I should get those. I love Cheezits. And yes, I want a salt lick in my yard.
#25 Old 11-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Scheese isn't all that great. It sorta tastes like barely-cheesy raw potatoes.

I have a couple "cheeze" sauces I use for mac-n-cheese and pizza but freely admit they are NOT like real cheese.

Really there is nothing totally vegan that is close. They are all gross, though there's always a few people who like them anyway - no accounting for taste (and there are a million similar discussions here on VB saying basically the same thing).

I just go without or make something myself that might - or might not - be "cheese-like".
#26 Old 11-19-2007, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Cheezly Edam tastes like real cheese.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#27 Old 11-19-2007, 11:05 AM

there is also a soy cheese made to taste like queso that is fantastic...i think it might actually be called "soy queso". i live in south florida and can't find it here, but i found it up in the panhandle.

anyone know what i'm talking about? if you see it, you should definitely give it a try!
#28 Old 11-19-2007, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecan View Post

there is also a soy cheese made to taste like queso that is fantastic...i think it might actually be called "soy queso". i live in south florida and can't find it here, but i found it up in the panhandle.

anyone know what i'm talking about? if you see it, you should definitely give it a try!

Yes. There's one here. It has casein in it. I can't remember the brand but they also make other Mexican-style faux products (mostly for distributors etc.)

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#29 Old 11-20-2007, 04:47 PM

Has anyone tied the Pepperjack sliced "cheese" from Veggy? I got some yesterday and it was pretty tasty, considering I have never tried fake cheese and after reading his thread I was prepared for the worst. It does have casein in it though
#30 Old 11-21-2007, 06:24 PM
Veggie Regular

The cheeses with casein usually do taste little better.

When you see "Veggie cheese is nasty" type threads, it's usually referring to the vegan cheeses out there - with no casein... and they just aren't very good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page