dipping my toes... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-02-2007, 06:22 PM

Hi everyone... I'm new here, but have been lurking for a while. I guess I'm just easing into the vegitarian lifestyle. I grew up in the midwest, so meat and starch were the staples. It has taken me a long time to expand my veggie menu beyond corn and green beans. The past five years or so I was mainly following a low carb way of eating. Recently I've come to realized I can't keep disassociating the meat I eat with animals. I love animals and can't stand the thought of factory farms, growth hormones, antibiotics, questionable feed sources...

Anyway, I'm reading and learning a lot, but would love to hear what some of you eat on a typical day. I am finding that I mainly eat starches- not enough veggies.

Here's what I had today:

B: tomato soup & crackers

L: veggie taco (beans, lettuce, rice)

D: mushroom ravioli & garlic tomato sauce

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-02-2007, 06:40 PM
Banned

Hi and welcome cortana , That looked a pretty good days eating to me , you could check out the recipe section .https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/f...play.php?f=142 ...may be you could add some side dishes of steamed veggies ,
#3 Old 10-02-2007, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi and Welcome!

I would recommend getting a good vegetarian cookbook or two. I checked a whole bunch of them out from the library when I first went vegetarian! Now I have a huge library of cookbooks and I take such pleasure in cooking healthy food for my family!

Your diet sounds really good so far, so I say, keep up the good work!

If you need some more ideas, check out my blog: www.veganspoonful.com I also did a cookbook review posting awhile back, here it is: Cookbook Reviews

www.veganspoonful.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-02-2007, 08:07 PM
Veggie Regular

welcome!! and congrats!!!

i agree, i think your diet looks pretty good there, so far...but it seems to be low in cals, in general. im not sure what your weight/height and activity is, so im not sure what you personally require....but def not less than 1200cals/ day.

you could easily add in some fresh fruit (apple season!! ), salads,

and maybe some nuts or nut butters. also, a 1/2 cup or so of a veggie (fresh or cooked) along w/ a meal....throw in some broccoli w/ your pasta sauce, or mushrooms. peas in your mashed potatos. i also lovelovelove baked potato w/ broccoli. hits the spot every time!!

peppers and onions in your taco, etc.

i also agree that a cookbook is a great idea...it can make the diet shift seem less daunting.

and veggieboards is always an awesome place for advice, support and inspiration!
#5 Old 10-02-2007, 08:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Cornflower.... i just checked out your site....very nice and concise!! those twice baked potatoes look like they might be my next adventure.... as i happened to pick up veg sour cream today and have never tried it!! yay!
#6 Old 10-03-2007, 05:08 AM
Veggie Regular

try adding topped baked potatoes to your diet, a baked potato topped with steamed veggies and nootch or cheese is really good and has veggies. apples are here now and they are delish! my boy and I shared a rather large jonagold apple last night. Try steaming carrots, or eating them raw, and dipping them in different sauces (i like steamed carrots plain, with a little olive oil or margarine, and salt, and raw ones with peanut butter).

try different ways of cooking your veggies. I like marinated broccoli a lot (marinate in balsamic, olive oil, garlic and soy and then grill or saute), as well as asparagus with a little olive oil and garlic. whole cucumbers are good tossed with some pepper and a little bit of salt.
#7 Old 10-06-2007, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

"Becoming Vegetarian" and "Becoming Vegan" are two books that are highly recommended.

http://www.nutrispeak.com/bvegan.htm
#8 Old 10-06-2007, 04:50 PM

I love to cook and have been enjoying finding ways to not use meat.

I just made a yummy vegan veggie soup. I substituted Better Than Broth veggie for stock. I used fake meat crumbles, undrained canned carrots, undrained corn, undrained Glory green beans, new potatoes, onion, celery, cauliflower and barley. I seasoned it with salt and paper, garlic, veggie worsh. sauce, and Tabasco. I ate on it for a few days. It was awesome.

Next week I am doing a cheese tortellini soup (I'm not vegan yet) with whole wheat tortellini, spinach, carrots, zucchini, tomatoes, veggie broth, garlic, and green peas. You could easily leave out the tortellini and use pasta. I'm also doing a vegetarian (vegan)taco soup the week after. I would like to come up with some sort of seitan "chicken" salad.

Other standard foods that are easy are baked potatoes, chili with no beef (use fake crumbles or put extra beans and barley in it), veggie burger patties with mushroom gravy and mashed taters, all kinds of salads, pasta primivera, pasta marinara, pasta salad, minestrone soup, cheese lasagna (if your not vegan), grilled cheese, veggie subs (with avocado, tomatoes, lettuce, cream cheese (soy if vegan), vegan cheese, cucumbers, and olives) I make a mean grilled pimento cheese sandwich with tomato (you could easily use soy cheese to make it), veggie pizza (with or without cheese), bean burritos, bean and cheese nachos (use soy cheese if need be), taco salad with soy meat crumbles, hummus and pitas plus sliced veggies (especially red peppers), fresh fruit salad, vegan French onion soup, sour cream enchiladas stuffed with mushrooms and spinach (not sure of another topping for vegans, but you could probably do a casserole and layer it with vegan cheese and some sort of vegan enchilada sauce), tofu "egg" salad (or the real thing--I don't eat eggs that I have to cook [I know, hypocritical]), roasted veggies with quinoa, veggie risotto, curry cous cous salad. That's all I can think of at this minute, but I'm sure there is more.

Tonight I'm doing homemade mac and cheese with whole wheat pasta, fresh chopped tomatoes, and a side of broccoli (it's junk food night.)
#9 Old 10-06-2007, 05:07 PM

I also have an Asian noodle salad with peanut sauce that is SO good and an Asian noodle soup that is good as well. If I can find a recipe section I'll post the recipes.
#10 Old 10-06-2007, 05:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Cortana! Looks like you are eating well. I'd love to come over for dinner sometime.

I came from where you are (meat & potatoes) and have now been a vegetarian for 14 years. I'm now 99% vegan. I eat well and get plenty of plant protein. I take a B-complex every day and am extremely healthy.

You need to post some of your recipes for us to try! Yum.
#11 Old 10-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterfunkhaus View Post

I also have an Asian noodle salad with peanut sauce that is SO good and an Asian noodle soup that is good as well. If I can find a recipe section I'll post the recipes.

That sounds so good. I'll check back to get your recipe. Thanks!
#12 Old 10-06-2007, 06:05 PM

I forgot to add quesadillas. They are good with sauteed mushrooms, garlic, spinach, and cheese if you like.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page