It's Tofu Time....(help) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-27-2007, 06:33 PM

Okay. I opened the tofu (step one, right?). I drained the water off the tofu and set a plate and weight on it to drain off some more water. Then I squeezed it between napkins too. Then I used a marinade recipe from I don't remember where (I've been all over the net looking at veg stuff) with orange juice, soy sauce, garlic, and cumin. I chopped it in cubes and it is in the fridge marinating. Question is....how long do I marinate it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-27-2007, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

soy sauce actually gets into tofu pretty fast.... Most other marinades take a while. Your tofu's probably okay to start frying up right now.

A wok is ideal, but a good frying pan is just fine. Cover the bottom with a thin layer... canola oil is just fine but I think peanut oil is ideal. (Work with what you have.) Heat the oil up until you can see it's changing consistency -- it starts looking wavy. Carefully put the tofu in the oil one by one and it should start sizzling. Brown the tofu.

Are you adding veggies? If so, keep your marinade around. You can add the veggies, cook them for a little bit and then pour your marinade in for a sauce. If you like the sauce thickened, like in Chinese food, you can add about a teaspoon of cornstarch and mix it in BEFORE you pour the marinade over the tofu and veggies. It will thicken as it cooks.
#3 Old 07-27-2007, 07:05 PM
Veggie Regular

^ He always has great advice! So listen to what he's saying cause he's probably more right than I am ... but, I'd freeze it. Personally I don't cook tofu unless I've frozen it first. Kinda makes it tougher and more chewy- which I like. Other than that, follow Mr. Frog and you're all set
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-27-2007, 07:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah.... I have to experiment with freezing more. The variety I use a lot came out a lot more porous than I wanted. Squeezing the water out before freezing would've probably helped a lot in my case. One good thing about freezing though, is your tofu's texture usually improves (gets chewier) and soaks up marinade more readily once it's thawed.
#5 Old 07-27-2007, 07:20 PM

Ok. This sounds good. I think I will freeze it, becuase I don't intend to eat it tonight anyway. Do you freeze it in the marinade, or drain it first? And you freeze it before you cook it, right?
#6 Old 07-27-2007, 08:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Nobody came back to answer that question? I've never done this before, but I would press the marinade out, keep the marinade in it's own bowl refrigerated, and freeze it before cooking it. The reason is so that you won't have tons of liquid to freeze inside the tofu so it becomes pleasing porous, but not like a fine sponge. Then you can thaw it while soaking it in its marinade on the day you're ready to use it.
#7 Old 07-27-2007, 08:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never frozen marinated tofu. The thing about freezing tofu is it changes consistancy - as mentioned above - and all the liquid in it drains out - because it's porous. So I think all the work you did marinating would be a waste... (maybe? like I said, I've never frozen already marinated tofu)

It'll keep in the marinade for a couple days in the fridge - it can't "over-marinate".

One thing about frying marinated tofu. (Follow Froggy's instructions, as mentioned above.) However - If there is any sugars in the marinade (like fruit juices, etc) it just might STICK like CRAZY! Don't stir it around the pan like crazy at first - it will break apart; put it in hot oil, let it sit for a few moments until it starts to brown - the browned part helps it hold together... THEN stir it... carefully. If it's sticking, use the edge of a spatula/pancake turner/whatever you call it, to carefully pry it off the pan bottom and turn over...

Sounds WAY WAY more complicated that it really is... PLEASE don't be intimidated because it's actually very simple just like Froggy explained above. I just have this need to add a million details.

Oh. And I am not a huge fan of frozen-then-thawed tofu. Too weird-chewy-dry-spongy for me. Try it both ways though. Some people are definitely fans of one method or the other...
#8 Old 07-28-2007, 01:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I have never had good success frying tofu in apan--it sticks and braks apart and I go AAAAARGH! I prefer to bake mine. 15 minutes on one side, flip tofu and add more marinade and 15 minutes on the other side at 190 degrees C (don't know what that is in F sorry) Perfect tofu every time.

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#9 Old 07-28-2007, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Perfect advice... as always And lots of options!

What I do, when I freeze it, is this: I squeeze out a bunch of water. I don't really worry about squeezing out "everything". I freeze it overnight and then pop it in the fridge in the morning in a bowl (or zip bag) of marinade. By dinner time I have some wonderful, bitey (is that a word?) tofu to put in whatever. I pan fry it just like Tofu-n-Sprouts says. (Seriously, check out her blog for endless, practical, delicious ideas)

ETA: I have marinated and then frozen tofu. I usually think I'm going to make tofu and then don't for whatever reason. I squeeze out the marinade and freeze, then thaw (and re-marinade) the next morning for dinner that night. It's really really good. Though everyone has different practices for making tofu. The good thing is, it's relatively inexpensive if you do make a mistake- try again! I used to hate tofu...

Hope that helps! Tell us what you end up doing with it
#10 Old 07-28-2007, 01:16 PM
f_m

One of the other things to do when cooking is to cover the pan/wok and let it simmer under heat. When you cover it that will cause the heat/pressure to help drive the juice into the tofu, not really any different than simmering any other foods for several minutes.
#11 Old 07-29-2007, 08:42 PM