Losing weight or gaining weight - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-26-2007, 05:51 PM

I have heard once you go veggie either one can happen. I am no nutrition expert by any means and I am pretty new to this lifestyle. I would like to lose weight if possible (not my reason for going veggie btw) what foods should I avoid so I dont gain weight? I havent bought any pre packaged foods or anything like that except the boca burgers. I eat cereals, seeds, breads, fruit, veggies, pastas and rice, pb things like that. Should I avoid alot of pastas? Please! Thanks! I just want to be sure what I am doing is being done correctly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-26-2007, 06:24 PM
Beginner

Since I went veggie I've lost weight, but I think it all depends on how you were eating before. I used to not really care about nutrition or what I ate, but now I do because if I don't I'll probably get sick XD

Avoid the usual bad food...like chips and soda and whatnot. I think if you just eat balanced and research what your body needs you won't have to worry about gaining anything...I'm new to this too so I'm probably not much help.
#3 Old 03-26-2007, 07:14 PM

As a vegetarian the key to losing weight is the same as with anything. You need to burn more calories than you take in. It really depends on what you were eating before and what you decide to eat now.

Many of the processed burgers have a lot of calories in them, and then you have to put them on bread. Pastas, rices, breads, a lot of time have a lot of calories per serving. I see that you have pb, which I'm guessing is peanut butter. Remember that pb has a lot of calories per serving as do most nuts. And I myself admit that pb&j is one of my weaknesses when it comes to food, but I just remember to use a small amount.

You don't have to cut any items out just eat them as you should any food, in proper serving size/portion. Look into nutritional needs for your height/weight, and what a serving size should look like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-27-2007, 03:33 AM
Beginner

I think some new vegetarians tend to eat a lot of cheese... I was guilty of that when I first turned to vegetarianism! I didn't knew much about legumes, tofu and grains and I had always been a cheese ho anyway. Cheese often has a high fat content and my weight went booom!

I'd say, avoid too much cheese and too much dried fruit, avoid processed foods (ready-made veggie burgers are ok once in a while but try to cook your own so you can control the contents) , avoid pastry and try to concentrate on fresh veggies, legumes and grains. Tofu, seitan and TVP are generally low calories but sauces can be tricky!
#5 Old 03-27-2007, 04:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't think you should classify any food as "good" or "bad".

It really all depends on how what types of food you ate before and what types you are eating now. If you ate a lot of meat before and are replacing it with fake meat products, then your weight will probably stay the same. If you ate a lot of fruits, veggies, and lean protein before, and are now eating a lot of nuts, cheese, and potato chips in addition to the fruits, veggies, and fake meat products, then you'll probably gain. If you ate a ton of meat and cheese before, and are now eating mainly fruits and veggies, then you'll probably lose.

The reason for this is that there are are high energy-dense foods, which may or may not be nutrient dense, and then there are low energy-dense foods, which also may or may not be nutrient dense. High energy-dense foods don't take up as much room in your stomach. Low energy-dense foods have a high water content, so you can eat more of them to fill up more space.

You should focus on eating whole, nutrient dense foods that aren't highly processed.

High energy-dense whole foods which are also nutrient dense include whole grains, legumes, raw nuts, natural nut butters, avocados, bananas, potatos, winter squash, and soy products such as tofu and soymilk.

Low energy-dense whole foods that are also nutrient dense include fruits and veggies with a high water content (apples, watermelon, berries, oranges, carrots, celery, bell peppers, etc..the list is nearly endless).

Your diet should be based on a mixture of aprox 70% low energy-dense and 30% high energy-dense whole foods.
#6 Old 03-27-2007, 08:37 AM

I think I remember losing some weight when I first went veggie, but I was in high school. I was pretty active all through college too, so my weight maintained itself. Now that I sit on my *ss all day behind a computer, it's a lil different. I do my best to get lots of exercise, and avoid all the processed 'junk' veggie foods out there. Whole is best!
#7 Old 03-27-2007, 10:59 AM

Thanks guys, you have been very helpful. Some of you asked what I ate before, pretty much anything that was around! I admit that was not a healthy choice. I ate alot of meats, pastas and some junk. I cut all that out well except for the pastas. I do go pretty light on the peanut butter because it is high in calories. Thanks for all your advice!
#8 Old 03-27-2007, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Healthy Vegetarians and Omnis should both be eating an appropriate number of calories for their size and activity level, and should have a good balance of proteins, fruits and veggies, complex carbohydrates, and fats. As long as you are maintaining the same levels as you did as an omni, your weight should maintain as well. I think new vegetarians sometimes gain weight because they don't know what to eat and they eat a lot of junk food instead of healthy things, and they sometimes lose weight because they don't know what to eat and don't eat enough calories.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#9 Old 03-30-2007, 03:20 PM
Beginner

I stayed the same but I'm still in my BMI range. I could probably lose wieght if I exersiced more and ate less carbs. I'm a bread and bagel fanatic!
#10 Old 04-02-2007, 10:50 PM
Beginner

Like, if you eat white bread, white rice, white pasta, white potatos, change them in to the kind that has color. Eat the 100% whole wheat version of these. Have a sweet potato. Lots of fruits and veggies, nuts (not a lot), got to be careful with them. They taste to good. You'll be don at the hold bag if you don't watch it. Hahaha. Make you some good healthy veggie burgers. Slap them on a 100% whole wheat bun with some spanich (my loves spanich) and tomato, and mustard. Dang i'm getting hungry.

Talkin' about all this food makin' hungry. Hahaha LOL.
#11 Old 04-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Beginner

Oh, and you must exercise. If you can walk somewhere, walk. I walk all the time. I love it. OK ok, sometimes I don't like it , but I have to do it.
#12 Old 04-02-2007, 11:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meka2829 View Post

Like, if you eat white bread, white rice, white pasta, white potatos, change them in to the kind that has color. Eat the 100% whole wheat version of these. Have a sweet potato. Lots of fruits and veggies, nuts (not a lot), got to be careful with them. They taste to good. You'll be don at the hold bag if you don't watch it. Hahaha. Make you some good healthy veggie burgers. Slap them on a 100% whole wheat bun with some spanich (my loves spanich) and tomato, and mustard. Dang i'm getting hungry.

This reminds me of something I read recently, about a teacher who told her young students (elementary school) to choose foods in the cafeteria based on color. Instead of focusing on "be sure to eat vegetables", she just told them to pick out foods with as many colors as possible, and the kids ended up with well balanced meals just based on that.

I'm going to see my 6 and 7 year old nephews this coming weekend, and I'm thinking of trying this technique on them to see how it works.

--Fromper

#13 Old 04-03-2007, 12:12 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for your replies I have been doing very well I think. I have been eating lots of variety. No more junk food either I havent ate that in almost a month.

What is your favorite veggie burger recipe if you all dont mind me asking? I Tried to make a few different kinds but they just dont turn out for me. Veggie burgers sound great though! I got some gardenburger portabella burgers those things are awesome
#14 Old 04-03-2007, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I like the Boca brand "chicken" patties. They're vegan. I've tried several other veggie burgers, with mixed results. Morningstar veggie patties (non-vegan) are pretty good. Boca's vegan hamburgers were awful, but I have a friend who likes them.

I've never tried making my own. I'm not that motivated.

--Fromper

#15 Old 04-05-2007, 09:24 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meka2829 View Post

I agree w/ this 100%. I dropped a lot of weight by switching to whole grain breads and pastas, and brown rice...

In terms of Bocca/Morning Star/Garden Burger I got to give a shout out to QUORN... THEY HOLD IT DOWN!!!

http://www.quorn.us//cmpage.aspx?section=WhatIsQuorn
#16 Old 04-06-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31770 View Post

I agree w/ this 100%. I dropped a lot of weight by switching to whole grain breads and pastas, and brown rice...

In terms of Bocca/Morning Star/Garden Burger I got to give a shout out to QUORN... THEY HOLD IT DOWN!!!

http://www.quorn.us//cmpage.aspx?section=WhatIsQuorn

I have heard a lot about Quorn products but unfortunatly I have not been able to find them where I live I don't know where else to look!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page