Frustrated - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-16-2007, 01:43 AM
Beginner

Ok...so I haven't eaten meat for about 3 days and so far it really hasn't been that difficult. I'm doing fine and I've even found some "meat-like" veggie food that I like!

My problem is that I'm scared of the road to come. I know that it's going to be a struggle because I don't really find meat disgusting. I know I should because it is disgusting, everything about it is enough to make me feel sick...but for some reason I don't see it that way. Despite all that I know about it and how bad it is I still find it appetizing...

So I guess I'm feeling down or something...but I'm really scared for when my mom makes some old dishes that I really liked with meat in them because I know that I'm not as strong willed as I should be...

Any advice? =/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-16-2007, 02:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Think about your reasons for going v*gan. Sometimes a lot of veggies find meat appitising - but then they remember where it comes from and what it means.

Make your own veggie versions when your Mum makes your old favorites - then you won't feel left out. Or even ask her if she could make them with tvp, or veggies or beans once in a while!

Don't get disheartened. You have started on a great road, and I hope it will go well for you.

And if you fall off the wagon - just get straight back on again!

best of luck!

pirate x
#3 Old 03-16-2007, 02:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratemoon View Post

Make your own veggie versions when your Mum makes your old favorites - then you won't feel left out. Or even ask her if she could make them with tvp, or veggies or beans once in a while!

Don't get disheartened. You have started on a great road, and I hope it will go well for you.

And if you fall off the wagon - just get straight back on again!

Agreed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-16-2007, 03:46 AM
Veggie Regular

it isn't a requirement of vegetarianism to be disgusted by meat. I wasn't when I first went veg, and now there are still some meat items that look appetising. But as time goes by, they will mostly start to look less appealing, and it will get easier. Just stick to it! And congratulations on going veg!

piratemoon had some great advice too
#5 Old 03-16-2007, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

it isn't a requirement of vegetarianism to be disgusted by meat.

I agree. Find the positives in not eating meat (there's lots and lots of them) instead of relying on negative images to keep you on a vegan diet.
#6 Old 03-16-2007, 07:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Don't worry too much, take one day at a time. Even though I've been veg*n for over a year and usually DO find meat disgusting, there are times when a waiter will pass by with something meaty that smells really good & I have fleeting thoughts about cheating.

What works for me is to quickly eat something veggie that I love. When you aren't hungry & are happy with the food in front of you, it makes it VERY easy for me to stay on track.
#7 Old 03-16-2007, 07:50 AM
Beginner

I've been a vegetarian since August, and I've slipped up several times because it was "easier" and I was lazy and I try not to beat myself up over it. Or I would get cravings and give in to the cravings. But what I've found is that the more I'm a vegetarian the easier it is to get past those cravings and not to slip up.
#8 Old 03-16-2007, 08:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Some good advice already posted. I agree - just take it one day at a time.

Is it possible to have some meat substitutes in the house for when you get those meat cravings? Do you have access to a natural/health foods store or to a regular grocery store that might carry meat substitutes? I think that would be a big help to you. If you know that you can pull out some soy "chicken" or veggieburger that tastes like the real thing whenever you feel the need to have meat, then I'm sure you won't feel quite as frustrated. A LOT of people find meat substitutes very helpful while they're transitioning to a veg diet. They're comfort food, and yet they allow for a clearer conscience!

And I do recommend that you get into the kitchen and learn some easy vegetarian recipes (like pasta with meatless sauce), so that you can say "mom, I'll make dinner tonight!"

*this space not for sale*
#9 Old 03-16-2007, 09:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

it isn't a requirement of vegetarianism to be disgusted by meat. I wasn't when I first went veg, and now there are still some meat items that look appetising. But as time goes by, they will mostly start to look less appealing, and it will get easier. Just stick to it! And congratulations on going veg!

piratemoon had some great advice too

Yes, it isn't a requirement, but it might turn out to be that way. And sometimes smells are even worse.

Swabe: if you stay veg*an, your likes and dislikes of different foods will change.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#10 Old 03-16-2007, 09:38 AM
Beginner

Yea, when I first became vegetarian I still missed some things. But, now I when I think of meat, I remember how the animals were killed and stuff to get that dish. It kind of makes me sick. I know that when I was into 2 weeks of being vegetarian my dad insisted that i eat a bite of his sheperd pie. he didn't tell me what meat it was first, but when i had the bite I had to go spit it out. because i felt sick. it was lamb. i really felt sick then. i went to go brush my teeth afterwards haha. i felt really bad for doing it. but i have been going strong for a couple months now.
#11 Old 03-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to feel like that all the time. In fact, I still feel like that occasionally.

What works for me is I tell myself I don't have to do this forever. I'm just going to be vegetarian for today, for sure, and deal with tomorrow when it comes.

It's the same technique many alcoholics and other addicts use successfully. "Today I will not drink" becomes "Today I will not eat meat." Just for today. Tomorrow, you can make a new decision (so far I always decide not to eat meat again -- just for that day).

Good luck!
#12 Old 03-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Beginner

What works for me is I tell myself I don't have to do this forever. I'm just going to be vegetarian for today, for sure, and deal with tomorrow when it comes.

That's a really good idea because I'm more of a "one day at a time" kind of person.

Thanks everyone. I guess I just felt depressed about it last night because I was at my friends house and they ordered pizza but instead of the veggie greek pizza they got the meat greek pizza and I really felt like giving in just because it would have been easier and I could have missed getting some weird looks from them...

But I didn't give in! So I guess I can give myself that =P

All your advice is great though. I'll try to drag my mom to the store today to stock up on some food that I can eat when they're eating their stuff...I think it'll help because at the moment there is NOTHING in this house that's good and non-meatish.

Thanks again =D
#13 Old 03-16-2007, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I definitely still crave meat. But I just keep the bigger goal in mind, and so far I haven't slipped. I hope someday the hamburgers won't sound so good, and I try to go to restaurants with good veggie food so I stay excited about it.

Meanwhile, I modified some of my favorite recipes so if I want something mom used to make, I can whip up her meatloaf just by subbing Gimme Lean for the ground beef. (And it's easier too--no browning and draining first!)
#14 Old 03-16-2007, 06:00 PM
Veggie Regular

What are some of your favourite dishes? They can probably be veg*nized... I guess unless its something like a tbone steak or lobster tail...

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#15 Old 03-16-2007, 06:11 PM
Beginner

Well...I love anything Chinese food...like wonton soup. But I guess there's some pork-like-substance out there to replace it with. I think my grandma has a recipe for vegetarian wonton soup anyways...hmm.

I know that I'm going to have a hard time around Christmas and Thanksgiving because I like Turkey too much...and turkey soup...and I also love Hungarian Goulash...and chicken...

I guess all of these have substitutes, right? Hmm..I'm going to need to go grocery shopping XD
#16 Old 03-18-2007, 08:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaybe View Post

Well...I love anything Chinese food...like wonton soup. But I guess there's some pork-like-substance out there to replace it with. I think my grandma has a recipe for vegetarian wonton soup anyways...hmm.

There are good Chinese vegetarian dishes. Historically they are of buddhist origin. One of the first vegetarian restaurant in Taipei was run by buddhists (that was 25 years ago on Heping Dong Lu). So maybe you'll have a look at the buddhist circles around your home town or get into contact with them. The recepies I know are all written in Chinese, but you might try publishers from Singapore as they often have English translations because of the multiethnicity of this city.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#17 Old 03-20-2007, 01:22 AM

I think I understand where you're coming from besides PAM. Um. Right.

Well, I think it has to do with like, the chemical connection your brain has on the meat. So like, although you don't want to eat it, your body basically has the urge to have it. Or something among those lines. Say you see a fried piece of meat that you had watched been removed from the animal, but suddenly your tummy rumbles. It's digusting, but you know that it's food and .. your body OVERWHELMES your emotions.

Hmm. I don't know if I'm rambling or making a good point.

*poof*
#18 Old 03-20-2007, 01:25 AM
Beginner

Yeah, I guess sixteen years of eating meat without thinking about it can do that to you. You make sense.

(And the poofing is starting to freak me out XD)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page