Leather Seats... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-26-2006, 06:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok so I don't have leather seats in my car but am about to move in with some people and going to be hitching a ride with them every day for work.

Now the problem... He has leather seats in his car and I dunno maybe I'm wierd but it makes me feel all icky sitting on what used to be a living breathing animal.

So yea just wanted to know if I was the only one Cuz I feel pretty stupid and it's going to take some getting used to. Luckily work isn't that far away but I dunno. Just don't like it. Thinkin about just takin my own car but I'd save gas and well I dunno.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-26-2006, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, it's icky. But think of all the good you're doing for the environment by not driving a second car
#3 Old 11-26-2006, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I would just try not to think about it. I don't like leather furniture either, but buying your own car would be way worse for the animals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-26-2006, 08:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, leather is pretty sucky. All moral objections aside, it is just not a comfy fabric. You stick to it in the summer and it's cold and hard during the winter. I never understood the appeal of leather seats in a car. OK, so it's easy to clean... but it starts to crack and get even more gross as it gets old.

Yeah, it sucks, but at least it's not your car.. you'll only be in it for a little while every day, and yes, you will save $$$ and ozone I say do the carpool. The cows died anyway, may as well make the best of their deaths and get twice the usage of their hides...
#5 Old 11-27-2006, 07:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Vinyl seats are sooo much better. My dad has them in his car, and they're awesome.

Anyway, no car is vegan, so it would be much better just to go with them. It's gross, but maybe if you talk to them about it they'll let you bring a blanket to cover the seat with? That does sound extreme, but I can't think of anything else right now. :/
#6 Old 11-27-2006, 07:14 AM
Veggie Regular

^ Pretend you want a blanket because the seats are cold?
#7 Old 11-27-2006, 07:44 AM
Beginner

Yeah leather makes me go 'ick'. But there's really no use in not taking the ride, because it would be less enviormentally friendly. So I would definately stick with the ride.
#8 Old 11-27-2006, 07:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Good idea, Keelin. That's what I would do.
#9 Old 11-29-2006, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

I have leather seats in my car and don't really like it for many reasons. First off, animals aren't for sitting on, they're for kissing. Second, they burn my body in the summer (I live in So Cal). I would not have chosen these seats personally, but my sister gave me the car and I took over the payments. My other car, a dodge neon, was old and when she offered her 03 Jetta to me, I jumped at the chance. I can't afford a down payment on a different car. I've considered taking the leather out of this car and having it redone, but then the leather would be thrown away and the animal would have died for temporary seat covers. Plus, it's very very pricey. My next car (when I'm out of college and in a high paying career) will NOT have leather in it. It will probably be a hybrid.
#10 Old 11-29-2006, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't fly on Jet Blue then because all of their planes have leather seats! They advertise it like it's something special, but aside from the ickiness of the fact that leather is skin, they're not even comfortable because when you're trying to sleep, you're butt's slipping around on the slick surface.
#11 Old 12-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
They advertise it like it's something special, but aside from the ickiness of the fact that leather is skin, they're not even comfortable because when you're trying to sleep, you're butt's slipping around on the slick surface.

Exactly! I do not, and will never, understand the appeal of leather.
#12 Old 12-01-2006, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

It all depends. If the other person is not having to go too far out of their way, I would take the ride because I'd be causing the use of less gas and therefore, fewer emissions. I don't allow leather to bother me when it's not my choice that caused it to be there. Very little good actually comes from rejecting animal products that aren't being consumed by you. (Am I making sense here?)
#13 Old 12-01-2006, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

Don't fly on Jet Blue then because all of their planes have leather seats! They advertise it like it's something special, but aside from the ickiness of the fact that leather is skin, they're not even comfortable because when you're trying to sleep, you're butt's slipping around on the slick surface.

In this case, rejecting an airline that uses -- and advertises -- their use of leather actually does help matters. It helps even more if you write them and let them know why you don't use them. You might think only one letter would not help, but your letter may actually be the 500th letter they need in order to be convinced that using leather is not a good idea.
#14 Old 12-01-2006, 01:35 PM

If you take the ride or not, he already bought the car and the cows already died for it. So, by taking your own car, all you are doing is wasting money and adding to enviorment damage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page