Does rice milk taste any better than soy milk? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-25-2006, 05:00 AM

I am eating a bowl of my fave cereal right now and I am having a real hard time choking it down with soy milk. I think the first problem is I bought regular when I should have maybe gotten light. I am used to fat free milk. It almost tastes like water. But I have tried soy milk many times and don't like the taste. I have to find something though because I can't go back to milk and I don't want to give up my bowl of cereal every morning.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-25-2006, 05:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I prefer Rice Dream to just about every kind of soy milk.

But then I liked the soy milk too.

My wife recently made the switch from real milk. After trying some soy and potato-based milk she landed on Rice Dream and loves it.
#3 Old 10-25-2006, 05:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Almond milk tastes better than both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-25-2006, 05:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilvegan View Post

Yeah, if that's an option now I would try that.
#5 Old 10-25-2006, 05:41 AM

I've never tried rice milk.

I have a stupid question, but is rice milk made from...rice?
#6 Old 10-25-2006, 05:42 AM
Veggie Regular

i adore my rice dream. never tried almond milk though.
#7 Old 10-25-2006, 05:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_a_grrrl View Post

I've never tried rice milk.

I have a stupid question, but is rice milk made from...rice?

erm... yes! it is.
#8 Old 10-25-2006, 05:47 AM

If you liked thin dairy milk, you may find rice milk to be better. I couldn't stand soymilk when I first dtiched dairy..it was thick and tasted like well, soybeans.

I'd suggest trying a few different kinds..rice/soy/almond. You can get sweetened or plain or with vanilla. I bet you can find something that you'd like. Almond milk is my favorite with cereal now, but it's definitely an acquired taste.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#9 Old 10-25-2006, 06:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilvegan View Post

That was woeth repeating
#10 Old 10-25-2006, 08:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I like rice dream better than any soymilk I've tasted too. You might have to try a lot of plant based milks before you find one you like. Also, some brands of soymilk taste a lot better than others so you might want to try a different kind.
#11 Old 10-25-2006, 08:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Light soymilk tastes awful. (I love plain Silk soymilk.)

I used to drink skim milk when I drank milk, and rice milk is similar. You would probably prefer that.
#12 Old 10-25-2006, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I switched from skim cow's milk to rice milk on my cereal about three years ago and never looked back. I can't really tolerate soymilk unless it's mixed in with lots of other things.
#13 Old 10-25-2006, 09:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I think soy drink is more of an aquired taste. For someone used to cow's milk, I'd definatly go with rice. Also there's almond, hazaelnut etc drinks now.
#14 Old 10-25-2006, 11:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Rice Milk is what I use for cereal. I find soy milk to be too "slimy" for cereal.
#15 Old 10-25-2006, 11:52 AM
Beginner

I never liked soy milk, too much of an aftertaste for me. But I love rice milk!! I use plain when cooking and vanilla in my cereal. I agree, if you're used to skim milk, rice milk is almost identical.
#16 Old 10-25-2006, 11:59 AM
Beginner

i used to drink soy milk unsweetened, but i switched to rice milk because i already eat tofu almost everyday, and i sorta had a soy scare -- read too many pros and cons, i guess. anyhoo, now i prefer rice milk. rice chocolate milk is surprisingly good too, considering it looks watery...

have never tasted almond milk though, will try it one of these days...
#17 Old 10-25-2006, 12:09 PM
Banned

Rice milk is great. When I ate cereal, I'd put mostly rice milk in, then a tiny bit of soy because rice is runny like water. Almond milk is good, except way too sweet for most foods.
#18 Old 10-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I love vanilla almond milk with puffed kamut.
#19 Old 10-25-2006, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

If you liked thin dairy milk, you may find rice milk to be better. I couldn't stand soymilk when I first dtiched dairy..it was thick and tasted like well, soybeans.

I'd suggest trying a few different kinds..rice/soy/almond. You can get sweetened or plain or with vanilla. I bet you can find something that you'd like. Almond milk is my favorite with cereal now, but it's definitely an acquired taste.

I agree with this suggestion. Try different kinds - you won't know until you find out! Everyone is different, so we can't really help you that much.
#20 Old 10-25-2006, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Rice Milk is what I use for cereal. I find soy milk to be too "slimy" for cereal.

Yes! Slimy is the word to describe it. I drained the milk off of every piece and then squeezed it on the bowl.

I am definitely going to try Rice Dream next.

I do realize everyone's tastes are different and wasn't looking for someone to tell me what I would like. Just some suggestions. And I definitely got some. I probably never would have even looked specifically for rice dream and I have never heard of almond milk. So this was a very informative thread. I am thinking some of the other flavors mentioned might be good in coffee. That one or two cups a year I crave when it gets really cold.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
#21 Old 10-25-2006, 02:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't forget to try the chocolate version of the brands you decide to try! Chocolate is the stuff of dreams.
#22 Old 10-25-2006, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

i'll toss in my experience...

for me, rice milk tastes a little better than soy milk, and didn't give my mouth a thick saliva feel afterwards. And it was a lot either to digest, and also my body created much less gas from the rice milk :b

Soy milk was the winner when I stopped drinking milk, since it's thicker and more creamy (at least the brands I was trying)... but over time the rice milk felt better to my bod.
#23 Old 10-25-2006, 05:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Almond milk all the way!
#24 Old 10-25-2006, 09:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Rice milk mostly tastes like thinned out soymilk mixed with paper.

I prefer the texture of rice milk (I also grew up on skim milk) but the taste just kills me. I've settled with light soymilk, which is much thinner.

Go for light soymilk or almond milk!
#25 Old 10-26-2006, 02:50 AM
Veggie Regular

To be fair, if I had to pick betweenr rice and soy, I'd pick rice.
#26 Old 10-26-2006, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I prefer rice milk on cereal - I tried soya milk first and couldn't get used to the taste. To me, rice milk is a lot more neutral tasting than soya milk.
#27 Old 10-26-2006, 12:21 PM
Vegan Police Officer

I think the original question is not answerable on a message board. How can anyone know how someone else's taste-buds are going to react???

I would say that Rice Milk tastes DIFFERENT to Soy Milk, but whether it's BETTER or not is like saying peaches are better than pears, or leeks are better than broccoli. It doesn't make sense.
#28 Old 10-26-2006, 03:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never tried rice milk, either. I was going to buy it, just to taste it, since we always have soy milk stocked in our fridge, but I decided not to. I love soy milk enough, anyways, so I'm not going to try to replace it. Real milk makes me want to throw up :P
#29 Old 10-26-2006, 04:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

I think the original question is not answerable on a message board. How can anyone know how someone else's taste-buds are going to react???

I would say that Rice Milk tastes DIFFERENT to Soy Milk, but whether it's BETTER or not is like saying peaches are better than pears, or leeks are better than broccoli. It doesn't make sense.

Some people just like to ask if the water in the pool is warm enough before they jump in.
#30 Old 10-27-2006, 06:49 AM

I feel like I am ready to switch to rice milk after reading this thread. Can you cook/bake with it though? I mean if I recipe calls for soy milk, would it be alright to substitute it with rice milk, because I don't want to have both in the house.

Are there any brands of rice milk that anyone would suggest NOT buying because they personally didn't like the specific brand?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page