Thinking about becoming a vegetarian - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-24-2006, 04:55 PM

Hello good people,

I am seriously thinking about becoming a vegetarian in the near future. I don't believe I want to give up meat completly but I do want to limit my intake in the beginning and then hopefully eventually move to not eating any meat at all.

I would really be doing it for personal reasons. I've been informed about cloning of animals and really I feel I've been bamboozled and do not like the fact of how they are cloning these animals. Sad. Personally didn't know that much about the "behind the scenes".

I also just believe that it would just be healthier. And that's my goal to eat healthier. Meat has to rot in your stomach to digest and whatnot, not good at all. Basically I'm going to just start by limiting my meat intake. I really only eat chicken and beef. Pork is my favorite but I've really been able to keep it at a minimum, as well as beef, except for a hamburger every now and again. But I feel beef will be the easiest to give up. [Veggie burgers are good] and then pork would be tough. But I'm going to make a conscience effort.

Right now my goal is to have more veggies on my plate than meat. Be more cautious of what I put into my body. Eat more fruits [which my intake on those are already high, for the fiber]. But no snacks, I've stuck to fruit, graham crackers and ....eh jerkey. But I do pretty well. Chicken noodle soup for snacks. I want to just eat lighter and healthier. Already on Soy Milk [Silk]!

Happy to have found the board.

Sorry so LONG!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-24-2006, 07:48 PM

Quote:
I've been informed about cloning of animals

This is why I am moving to more of a vegan diet. I am Seventh-Day Adventist and already don't eat pork, shellfish and other "unclean" animals. When I heard about cloned animals last week I decided that all dairy and beef had to go. Then I decided since I don't really like the things that are left I might as well give them up also.

After lurking here all day yesterday I haven't been able to touch a piece of meat since. I had planned to at least eat up the meat that is already here (mostly frozen chicken, we have never eaten a lot of meat), but now I can't even bring myself to eat it. I feel sick just thinking about it. So I guess I am going to give it to someone who will eat it so it doesn't just go to waste.

Anyway, I am another newbie and just wanted to let you know we have something in common.
#3 Old 10-24-2006, 08:19 PM
Beginner

For pork - there are some meat free sausage patties that are made by MorningStar. I didnt know about them until 2 weeks ago.

A friend of mine who is not vegetarian (nor anywhere close) just married a vegetarian and she introduced him to MorningStar Sausage breakfast patties. At his wedding, he sat down with us to tell us how amazed he was that they tasted exactly the same and were not meat! He gave us the brand... and within 2 weeks we found them at our local store (we'd overlooked them). Sure enough, they are identical to breakfast patties.

MorningStar Breakfast Sausage... be sure to try them out .

Also, there is the brand Quorn Chicken nuggets. They taste exactly like chicken nuggets that you cook in the oven for 20 minutes, but made of mostly mushrooms and veggies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-25-2006, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by latisha1903 View Post

I also just believe that it would just be healthier. And that's my goal to eat healthier. Meat has to rot in your stomach to digest and whatnot, not good at all. Basically I'm going to just start by limiting my meat intake.

Hi latisha1903,

I took the time to make a good page about some of the scientific health benefits of eating less meat. So if you want to see what the solid science has found so far, it's a good place to start... You'll probably be amazed at how much of a help diet can be..

http://www.helpusall.com/foodandhealth.html

I've been vegetarian for 12 years, and vegan for 10 years, and still never get sick. The last time I went to my doctors (for a routine examination) he said he wished all his patients were as healthy as me. ..a nice thing to hear

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page