I Suck!!!!!! [ate chicken] - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-21-2006, 08:12 PM

I broke today. After only 4 days I broke! My husband BBQ's every single weekend. I mean EVERY weekend! He makes the most awesome marinades. Well, he made BBQ chicken, seasoned rice, and green beans for dinner. So he made dinner and I served the kids up. I am the only one TRYING to be vegan in my house. I made up my plate of rice and grean beans. This was yummy!!! But I was still hungry. I mean HUNGRY! And his food smelled so good! So I had 2 pieces of chicken. I feel like crap. My stomach is yucky now. Then I remembered he puts butter in his rice. Man, did I ever blow it!!!!!

And it wasn't even the chicken that I wanted, it was the awesome marinade it was done up in!!!!! Which I could have eaten on something else. I bought some vegan burgers the other day. It didn't even dawn on me to have him grill me a veggie burger with his marinade until after the fact when I felt horrible!

I am so upset. I am sitting here with tears in my eyes.

Please tell me I am not the only one to do something like this!!

Thanks for reading my rant!!!

Heather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-21-2006, 08:23 PM
Banned

You'll be ok. I think a lot of people mess up at first. Learn from your mistakes and be stronger next time. Make sure to have lots of choices available for the next time this comes up. If you really want good BBQ, get gardenburger Riblets, or SmartLife Shredded BBQ. Or you can just marinade pretty much any other non-meat. If worse comes to worst, grill up a whole bunch of veggies and eat it with the marinade. Grilled onions are the bomb!
#3 Old 10-21-2006, 08:28 PM

I remember when I first became vegetarian over a decade ago. Within the first week I ransacked the fridge and ate cold chicken fingers... I was like, "what the hell's wrong with me", but you know what? It never happened again.

To be honest, I wouldn't of been happy with rice and green beans either.. Make sure that you always have a food option with some substance to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-21-2006, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular

It's okay. It's all part of the learning process. If your husband makes such awesome marinades, try having him marinade some tofu for you and then throw that on the BBQ. I haven't tried it myself but I know it's possible (even my husband's manly BBQ cookbook has a few tofu recipes.)

Also, there's a great cookbook called The Vegetarian Grill. It's totally awesome. It's not 100% vegan but most of the non-vegan recipes can be easily veganized. We've been using it for our weekend BBQs.
#5 Old 10-21-2006, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't feel too bad. Everybody makes mistakes. Remember that this will not affect your status as a vegan in the future, and if you are a vegan for ethical reasons, watch Meet your Meat if you have an urge to eat meat.
#6 Old 10-21-2006, 08:29 PM
Banned

awwww.... well, you're not the first, and you won't be the last, to hit a bit of a bump like this. don't beat yourself up too much over it -it won't change anything- whats done is done- just plan for next time, and remind yourself what meat is really about, and why you don't want to eat it anymore, so you hopefully won't have to go through feeling so awful again.

You said it was the marinade you really wanted, and that you had veggieburgers, you just didn't think (i don't think aaallll the time, lol, so i can relate!) so i'd say a huge bonus here is at least you know what the problem was, and now you can see the solution- makes the same problem less likely to happen again, right?

i guess if you do a bit of prep before hand next time, and are mentally ready for the prospect of the alluring marinaded chicken (lol) you could strengthen your resolve, having already got some supplies in, then steal a bit of that tasty marinade, and have something more yummy and veg*n marinaded in it that would be a bit more satisfying for you.

Have you seen any veggie chickn stuff in a store near you? i don't eat it myself, but i bet someone could offer suggestions on good brands- they make all kindsa fake chicken stuff. Tofu would be fun to try with the marinade too- there is info on how to use it to best effect in the 'tip of the day' thread.

Don't quit... you can still do this- we've all had our moments of weakness, and quite a few will admit to falling off the veg*n wagon in their time!
#7 Old 10-21-2006, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Just a thought, but maybe you need to phase out meat more gradually from your life. I think it's more important to see being vegetarianism/veganism as a long term thing.
#8 Old 10-21-2006, 09:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post

Just a thought, but maybe you need to phase out meat more gradually from your life. I think it's more important to see being vegetarianism/veganism as a long term thing.

Meat can be addictive, since I heard that the uric acid in meat can be even more addictive than caffeine. It may be easier if you phase out red meat, then poultry, then fish, then milk, then eggs, etc. I wish you good luck!
#9 Old 10-21-2006, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post

I don't know if that can really work for people who realize who they're eating and how they were raised and killed. She'll feel bad everytime she eats flesh.

Seb - it's a "health" veg thing to cut out the cow meat first. From a welfare perspective, chickens are probably treated much worse. If one needs to cling to flesh, I'd say cut the poultry out before the cows.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#10 Old 10-21-2006, 09:33 PM
Banned

Or go vegetarian, and make sure you have that down before attempting vegan. a LOT, if not most vegans did it that way.

Even people who have been veg for years can struggle with veganism. *cough*
#11 Old 10-21-2006, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Alana View Post

Or go vegetarian, and make sure you have that down before attempting vegan. a LOT, if not most vegans did it that way.

Even people who have been veg for years can struggle with veganism. *cough*

I agree!!
#12 Old 10-21-2006, 09:40 PM

Quorn makes AWESOME fake chicken breasts, I would eat those next time he cooks out.

It took me over 2 1/2 years to stop eating meat.
#13 Old 10-21-2006, 09:47 PM
Banned

Yeah. Quorn is vegetarian, but not vegan. Quorn is great, though! Probably the best chicken wannabe i've had.
#14 Old 10-21-2006, 09:49 PM
Veggie Regular

My son adores quorn. I bought it by accident since I'm trying to at least make the food I prepare at home vegan.

The best chicken wannabe I've ever had came from a vegetarian restaurant called sipz. It was almost disturbing.
#15 Old 10-21-2006, 10:08 PM

Hey There

dont feel too bad about it...or beat yourself up about it...just chalk it up to a learning expierence and move on and try to do better next time...everybody slips-up....good luck.
#16 Old 10-21-2006, 11:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

A lot of people do it that way, but, when the reason for going veg is animal welfare, that probably has more to do with custom and a misunderstanding of the dairy and egg industries. If one is concerned with the treatment of the animals, it would generally be better to eat flesh (cow more so than poultry or pigs) than to use dairy and eggs - those products come from exceptionally cruel practices. Generally including "free range" hens and any commercial dairy. Off-hand I would say that if one wants to keep any animal product in their diet as a hold-out, it should probably be free-range beef - it's still horrible though

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#17 Old 10-21-2006, 11:39 PM
Banned

Well if that way doesn't seem to be working, what's better? A vegetarian who eats eggs and dairy, or someone attempting to be vegan who makes "oopses" and eats meat, egg, and dairy? I say the former.
#18 Old 10-21-2006, 11:53 PM
Veggie Regular

She just started so she doesn't know how it will be for her. She didn't make a mistake with eggs or dairy though, so I don't how if she had planned to eat eggs and dairy but not flesh that would have helped with this.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#19 Old 10-21-2006, 11:55 PM
Banned

Actually she said butter in her rice. I'm not going to argue with you. I'm just saying that "even" those of us who are vegetarian can still be in it for animal welfare, as hypocritical as you may think it is.

If it's hard to go vegan cold-tofurky, then I say ease into it with vegetarianism first.
#20 Old 10-22-2006, 01:29 AM

I just wanted to pop back in and say thank you to everyone for the supportive words. I have to quit cold turkey. Or was it tofurky?? The thought of eating animals disgusts me now. That is why I am so upset with myself. I will just make sure I am better prepared next time. I can always steal some of hubby's marinade for my own food.

I have no issue getting rid of dairy and eggs. I already bought the substitutions for the few times I eat dairy. It just bugged me that I ate the rice with regular butter in it. Blech!!!

Tomorrow is another day!

THanks everyone. I love the boards here!! SO much support!!!

Heather
#21 Old 10-22-2006, 01:40 AM

I am so sorry you had a tough day. We all have them somehow. Since you know that your husband cooks out every week, make sure you have plenty of stuff for you next time. Gardenburger has a wonderful riblet!! Grilled......is awesome. Grilled veggies are excellents. So have plenty of those chopped and ready for the grill. If your husband's sauce is that good........it may go with anything you put on the grill. Try it!! I wish you the best!!!

I still have a love for chicken pot pie. If I ever go back to eating meat......the first thing I am going to eat is a chicken pot pie. But......I am sure I wouldn't like it as much as I think I do. Boy.....I sure do wish there was a vegetable pot pie that tastes as good as Marie Callender's pot pies.

Good luck and don't be so hard on yourself. Also, don't let yourself get so hungry. It is hard to make good food choices when you can eat anything in site!!
#22 Old 10-22-2006, 02:04 AM
Banned

I like very few of Amy's stuff. But Amy's version of pot pie is pretty good with some salt and pepper.
#23 Old 10-22-2006, 02:21 AM
Veggie Regular

lots of people slip up, intentionally or accidently, and it's no big deal. Don't be disheartened! Just tell yourself that it wont happen again (at least intentionally, most of us still end up eating non-veg*n ingredients at some point in our lives after being 'established' veg*ns), and keep doing the best you can!
#24 Old 10-22-2006, 02:47 AM
Veggie Regular

don't be so hard on yourself.....did you decide to go vegan straight from being an omni? if you did, that's really commendable.

i've been trying to go vegetarian since mid-september.....i only fortified myself about a week ago....occasionally slipping up. you're doing a great thing for the animals but it can be hard to stick to it in the beginning....it gets easier, I'm told. I had to really build all the nerve I could not to eat chicken one day when I was hungry. I thought to myself that chickens are the most abused animal and it would be a lot worse to eat that than beef or pork (not that i want to eat any animal)

best,

A
#25 Old 10-22-2006, 04:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Actually she said butter in her rice. I'm not going to argue with you. I'm just saying that "even" those of us who are vegetarian can still be in it for animal welfare, as hypocritical as you may think it is.

If it's hard to go vegan cold-tofurky, then I say ease into it with vegetarianism first.

Hey, no need to be defensive. I'd ask that you try to understand what I'm saying with an open mind.

Which is that, from an animal welfare perspective, I think it's rather arbitrary and custom-based to cut out the flesh foods before the eggs and dairy. Since the OP seems to know that eggs and dairy are no better (and probably worse), why would she choose to go with custom and cut the flesh foods out first, if she's going in stages? One could as well cut the eggs and dairy out and leave the cow flesh, if they're going in stages. It just doesn't have the *name* vegetarian in that case, but the name isn't the important thing. Who dictates that it has to go omni to vegetarian to vegan? I'm agreeing that something is better than nothing, so why not choose the better something, if one is going to go in stages and leave some animal food in their diet for whatever reason? There's nothing that says X has to go first, although people are generally stuck (an earlier post in this thread illustrates it) in thinking that the order that one should cut out animal foods is: cows then poultry then fish then eggs and dairy. Why? It's a custom but a fairly arbitrary one.

Again, a lot of people who traditionally became vegetarian and not vegan did so because they couldn't see the harm in eggs and dairy. Now a lot of vegetarians are making the step to veganism because they do. But if you start out with that knowledge, and you don't want to cut out all the animal foods, it's not the obvious step to go from omni to vegetarian to vegan. From an animal welfare perspective one would take out the worst harms first.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#26 Old 10-22-2006, 06:54 AM
Veggie Regular

It sounds to me like the OP knows what she wants, but is just having trouble getting there. There is no reason for her to resume eating dairy and eggs since they aren't even what she's craving.

groovycakes, let us know if you need any help with figuring out what are some good alternatives etc. Oh, and tofu absorbs marinade really well if you squeeze the excess water out of it. We often marinate tofu for about an hour and then put it on the grill. I really enjoy it that way.
#27 Old 10-22-2006, 07:42 AM

How's this for 'sucking'.

I was a vegetarian for nearly five years- and really proud of it! Then, for some unknown reason, I ate (of all ridiculous things, since I never liked them anyway) McD's chicken nuggets!

Worse? I continued to eat meat for the last three years! Why? I have no idea. I KNOW exacty what happens to animals and yet I did it anyway.

I ate chicken and fish, and usually only 2-3 times a week. Almost all of my meals were LO veg. Why did I block the truth from my mind? How could I do that? After nearly 5 years of never missing meat?

I still don't know and I am deeply ashamed.

Last week I finally realized what I have been doing. No more meat ever again, and I am finishing up what I have now for animal products (mostly b/c I am a broke college student/mom so i can't just throw everything out that I just bought last week) I will be fully vegan within the next month.

I realize that I will make mistakes. I don't fully understand which products have dairy/eggs and what doesn't, but I won't beat myself up over it- I will just learn from it.

Now, personally I think what I did was %1000 times worse than one who *just* went veg messing up. Let's both learn and keep going, shall we?
#28 Old 10-22-2006, 08:00 AM
Veggie Regular

that's great that you're starting over Lady Clare. Welcome "back."
#29 Old 10-22-2006, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

that's great that you're starting over Lady Clare. Welcome "back."

Thank you! I feel like a complete moron for ingoring everything like I did. I didn't want to admit it here- but I think it is important for others to know, so they won't do that same thing. It was like kids being peer pressured into drugs... well that was what happened to me. I knew better. I did it anyway.
#30 Old 10-22-2006, 08:57 AM
Banned

Quote:

I like very few of Amy's stuff. But Amy's version of pot pie is pretty good with some salt and pepper.

I agree - my only complaint is that it's a bit too "snack-sized"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page