Ramen noodles - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

My mom bought me a big pack of Ramen noodles. They come with the packs of chicken flavoring which, obviously, I throw out.

But plain Ramen noodles are bo-ring. Any ideas of what I can add to make them more exciting?

(Keep in mind I live in a dorm, so my options are somewhat limited. If it involves a microwave I can do it, but that's pretty much it)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Make a tomato-based sauce and have it with vegetables, or add them to vegetable soup. You could also make Spicy Peanut Noodles (there's a recipe or two floating around here for that).
#3 Old 10-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I make my own pho. Thinly slice carrots, celery, parsnips, whatever you like. Layer them in the bottom of a bowl (I like to add frozen peas and corn). Break up the ramen noodles in the bowl and add a veggie boullion cube. Cover with boiling water, let sit two or three minutes, enjoy! You could probably add soy sauce to make the broth more savoury, if you want, just watch the sodium content.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-11-2006, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

drop some veggie bullion into it and some frezen vegges and pop it in the microwave
#5 Old 10-11-2006, 05:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Add a tablespoon of miso.
#6 Old 10-11-2006, 05:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerSn0ws View Post

Add a tablespoon of miso.

I've never heard of miso, but I did some research to learn what it is.

a fermented seasoning paste of soybeans, often with rice or barley added, used to flavor soups and sauces.

Where can I get some? Would Trader Joe's have something like that?
#7 Old 10-11-2006, 05:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatherineLynn View Post

I've never heard of miso, but I did some research to learn what it is.

a fermented seasoning paste of soybeans, often with rice or barley added, used to flavor soups and sauces.

Where can I get some? Would Trader Joe's have something like that?

I've never been to Trader Joe's, but I'd guess, probably. Whole Foods has it, it's in the refrigerated section. I think most health food stores and oriental stores would have it. It comes in different types - I like the dark brown stuff, but most people prefer the lighter kind.

If you've ever had soup in a Japanese restaurant that had tiny little cubes of tofu in it, that's probably miso soup.
#8 Old 10-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to sautee/carmalize diced mushrooms, and add a little water when they were done with the pan still hot... the water would steam up and absorb the mushroom flavor... anyway... i owuld toss that in ith the ramen - was tasty
#9 Old 10-11-2006, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Some of the flavors look vegetarian if not vegan last time I looked (a long time ago). I'm pretty sure the Shrimp flavor of one of the brands has no shrimp or natural flavors or anything!

Nix that. They changed them. I bought a shrimp and oriental flavor tonight and read the ingrediants. They changed. This is Maruchan brand. Oriental now has beef in it, and shrimp now has shrimp and/or lobster flavoring. They didn't used to. I swear!!
#10 Old 10-11-2006, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Peanut Noodles are my kids favorite thing to do with Ramen noodles. We buy the big multi-packs at the Grocery warehouse and they're usually chicken, so we toss the seasoning too...

We make 'Peanut noodles" with Ramen (cooked in the microwave and drained), a spoonful of peanut butter, a splash of soy sauce and a spoonful of Sweet-Hot Chili Sauce.

Sweet-Hot chili Sauce even on it's own can perk up Ramen. It can be found in the Asian section of most grocery stores. It's sweet, ginger/garlic-spicy and hot!!
#11 Old 10-11-2006, 08:33 PM

i think the Oriental flavor is vegan.
#12 Old 10-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

That's what I thought too, and after I ate a big bowl, I read the ingredients and now it says beef extract?!
#13 Old 10-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Veggie Regular

The oriental flavor from Top Ramen (not Maruchan) is vegan. I think it is the only vegetarian ramen as well.
#14 Old 10-11-2006, 08:51 PM
Veggie Regular

i always use soy margarine and seasoned salt. mmmmm.
#15 Old 10-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Peanut Noodles are my kids favorite thing to do with Ramen noodles. We buy the big multi-packs at the Grocery warehouse and they're usually chicken, so we toss the seasoning too...

We make 'Peanut noodles" with Ramen (cooked in the microwave and drained), a spoonful of peanut butter, a splash of soy sauce and a spoonful of Sweet-Hot Chili Sauce.

Ooo I do have peanut butter...

I'll have to get soy margarine and salt. I practically have nothing in my dorm room...
#16 Old 10-11-2006, 09:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iria View Post

The oriental flavor from Top Ramen (not Maruchan) is vegan. I think it is the only vegetarian ramen as well.

I was *just* gonna say that.

...I think there's also a "spicy vegetable" flavor that's vegan. The package is neon green. I dunno what brand it is, though.
#17 Old 10-11-2006, 10:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Braggs Liquid aminos
#18 Old 10-12-2006, 05:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatherineLynn View Post

My mom bought me a big pack of Ramen noodles. They come with the packs of chicken flavoring which, obviously, I throw out.

But plain Ramen noodles are bo-ring. Any ideas of what I can add to make them more exciting?

(Keep in mind I live in a dorm, so my options are somewhat limited. If it involves a microwave I can do it, but that's pretty much it)

Flavours normally are pure chemicals. But I myself wouldn't meaty or pultry tastes.

Ramen like all noodles agree with almost everthing. Late I had noodles on a plate and covered one half with spinach cooked with pepper and nutmeg and the other half with kraut cooked with tomato sauce and chili (nice colours).

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#19 Old 10-12-2006, 06:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I've actually never eaten Ramen noodles. I've always heard they're super high in sodium. Is that true?
#20 Old 10-12-2006, 06:48 AM

yeah, the flavoring isn't really healthy. i get the vegan miso ramen from the health food store, rather than buy the chicken flavor and throw away the packet. miso is high in sodium too, but the vegan ramen have a way healthier nutritional profile. i add veggies to the broth too, to balance the sodium.
#21 Old 10-12-2006, 07:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
i add veggies to the broth too, to balance the sodium.

Okay this is probably a really stupid question but how does adding veggies balance the sodium? Isn't all the sodium still there and you're still consuming it? Sorry I'm new and become easily confused on this nutritional stuff.
#22 Old 10-12-2006, 07:07 AM

potassium balances the sodium in your body. and don't apologize for wanting to learn about nutrition!
#23 Old 10-12-2006, 07:09 AM
Veggie Regular

One of my favorite quick meals at home is to cook up ramen noodles (either with the Top Ramen oriental flavoring or a veggie bullion) and add frozen veggies. If I'm in a hurry I boil them with the noodles, if I'm not I stir-fry them on the side and heat up a veggie egg roll (I get them at Sam's Club. I don't know the brand) to go with it.

At school I make the oriental flavor and add veggie flakes.
#24 Old 10-12-2006, 07:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for clearing that up Purrpelle.
#25 Old 10-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I eat Koyo brand Ramen. Sometimes I'll add a little gluten or tofu or spinach to it.
#26 Old 10-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I eat Safeway brand vegetable flavor. Yay for being cheap!
#27 Old 10-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I lived on my own for year (after breaking up with my bf after five years) and had little money to spare for food so I lived off of ramen for awhile. Never cooked the broth just did creative and different things with the noodles. Some of my favorites were..ramen with frozen veggies (usually frozen peas), ramen with canned veges (corn, peas, peas and carrots), mac and cheese ramen (soy cheese and soy butter), pasta salad (ramen, tomatoes, cucs, olives, italian dressing), ramen uncooked as a crunchy snack. So cheap and so addicting.
#28 Old 10-12-2006, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I put the block of Ramen in a bowl, salt it, and pour over boiling water and wait for a few seconds, then pour out the water whilst the noodles are still al dente. Then I sprinkle the block with vinegar and eat with knife and fork.
#29 Old 10-12-2006, 08:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I put the block of Ramen in a bowl, salt it, and pour over boiling water and wait for a few seconds, then pour out the water whilst the noodles are still al dente. Then I sprinkle the block with vinegar and eat with knife and fork.
#30 Old 10-12-2006, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

So cheap and yet soooo good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page