Ramen noodles - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 10-12-2006, 11:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Uncooked noodles, crunched up, added to shredded cabbage and a bottled Asian dressing - maybe some sesame seeds, etc... Instant Asian salad. Yum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 10-13-2006, 05:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Along the same lines as Aimra's question, are the noodles really that high in sodium???

I always thought that it was more the seasoning packets that came with them?

TIA,

Michelle
#33 Old 10-13-2006, 10:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I have found these interesting passages from websites in a recent Google search:

'If you want to eat ramens in a healthy way, there are two tips.

1. You can find 'un fried ramen' in a Korean grocery market. It is called "An-Tui-Kin Myun" which literally mean 'not deep-fried'.

2. If you can't find 'An-Tui-Kin Myun', prepare two pots with boiling water on stove. Put noodle in one pot wihle put a seasoning packet into another pot. When noodle is half cooked, drain the water (you can see the water is now oily) and put the half cooked noodle into the another pot. Boil for a couple of minutes more and it is ready to eat.'

and

'A typical packet of instant ramenInstant ramen has often been criticized for its potential health risks. Some of these claims are justified, while others could be made against any diet that contains too much of a particular food.

A single serving of instant ramen is high in carbohydrates and low in fiber, vitamins and minerals. Instant ramen is typically fried, which makes it high in saturated fat and/or trans fat. A popular college urban legend states that a student gave himself scurvy by living on nothing but ramen for an entire year.

Ramen broth, especially that of instant ramen, contains monosodium glutamate (MSG) and a high amount of sodium, usually in excess of 60% of the U.S. Recommended Dietary Allowance. The noodles themselves contain little sodium, so one can avoid drinking the soup or use less of the seasoning package if a low-sodium diet is recommended for health reasons'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 10-13-2006, 12:26 PM
Beginner

I always cook the noodles and then add a little can of tomato sauce. The ones that are like $.20. Add italian seasoning, garlic powder, chilli powder (it gives some heat), or whatever you have on hand. So good!
#35 Old 10-13-2006, 01:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the info. about the sodium content, Lord Hillyer!!

I was pretty sure that the sodium actually came from the actual packet, but since being vegan I choose to eat them other ways with adding different seasonings myself, I was hoping that I hadn't been misinformed! I try not to make a habit out of eating them on a regular basis anyhow, but occasionally I will use them for a quick & easy lunch.

Thank-you again for posting the info., maybe it will come in handy for someone else as well!!!

Michelle
#36 Old 10-13-2006, 04:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flvegnewbie View Post

Thanks for the info. about the sodium content, Lord Hillyer!!

Just remember that without actual (and reliable) sources quoted, it's an opinion, NOT an actual fact and shouldn't be used as such.
#37 Old 10-13-2006, 05:42 PM
Veggie Regular

You could try freeze dried veggies if you can't keep fresh on hand in your dorm. They're available in bulk, but also in containers marked "JUST VEGGIES" and toss 'em in hot water and they rehydrate pretty much instantly.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#38 Old 10-13-2006, 06:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

You could try freeze dried veggies if you can't keep fresh on hand in your dorm. They're available in bulk, but also in containers marked "JUST VEGGIES" and toss 'em in hot water and they rehydrate pretty much instantly.

Ooo I like!
#39 Old 10-13-2006, 06:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Actually TVP is pretty good if you are willing to wait a few minutes for it to rehydrate. You have to use seasoned broth however.
#40 Old 10-13-2006, 07:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Just remember that without actual (and reliable) sources quoted, it's an opinion, NOT an actual fact and shouldn't be used as such.

Thanks for your concern TNS, I absolutely understand where your coming from! I'm a very skeptical person by nature, but for this type of question, I really was just asking for people's opinions on the salt content, I didn't really need any hard proof.

I would love your input as well. Do you think that the noodles themselves contain alot of salt, or am I right in thinking it's more contained just in the seasoning packet? I know my kids love those things & I try to limit them as much as possible because of all the preservatives & salt added, and usually only end up letting them use 1/2 of the packet anyhow, but still it concerns me!

Thanks again for your advice!

Michelle
#41 Old 10-13-2006, 07:45 PM

it's the seasoning packet, Michelle. but a lot of the fat content is in the noodles. HFS Koyo brand vegan ramen is way, way healthier.

Koyo brand Miso ramen:

200 cals

1 g fat

748 mg sodium

40 g carb

7 g protein

Top Ramen Oriental:

380 cals

14 g fat

1600mg sodium !!!!!!!

56 g carb

10 gram protein
#42 Old 10-13-2006, 09:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't wait for this thread to die. I hardly ever eat Ramen after reading the stats on the back but recently ate some because I've been ill and wanted easy to make soup. Everytime I see the thread title I want more!!
#43 Old 10-13-2006, 11:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Is there such a thing as ramen noodles without trans fats?

I used to love them.
#44 Old 10-14-2006, 07:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia View Post

I can't wait for this thread to die. I hardly ever eat Ramen after reading the stats on the back but recently ate some because I've been ill and wanted easy to make soup. Everytime I see the thread title I want more!!

Me too!! It really isn't fair....
#45 Old 10-14-2006, 09:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok, theres no meat in Ramen Noodles, so whats wrong with them? I personally love the orientle and shrimp flavored ones.
#46 Old 10-14-2006, 09:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberry06 View Post

Ok, theres no meat in Ramen Noodles, so whats wrong with them? I personally love the orientle and shrimp flavored ones.

Most of them have animal based broth if you are concerned about that as a vegetarian. They also have a surprising amount of calories and salt. I still eat them as a treat now and then but am sad to find out the oriental and shrimp flavors that used to have no animal broth now do.
#47 Old 10-14-2006, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberry06 View Post

They're highly processed, usually have trans fat, usually have animal based broth (the shrimp ones for sure), very high in sodium and pretty high in calories, no fiber, no vitimins, no nutrients to speak of....

That's not to say some of us don't eat (the veg. ones) them from time to time...
#48 Old 10-14-2006, 02:31 PM

Most mainstream ramen noodles are full of fat, but a lot of them have gotten rid of their trans fat these days.

And yes, I'd say the majority of the sodium is in the packet, but at least for the kinds of ramen I have around the house, they all have salt as an ingredient in the noodles too.

Instead of ramen, I prefer instant rice noodle soups. Same convenienve, but much less fat, and I think less sodium too (but I don't have a packet to confirm)!
#49 Old 10-16-2006, 08:43 AM

I bought a Thai peanut sauce dressing that is wonderful when mixed with noodles of any kind! Certainly not boring.
#50 Old 10-16-2006, 08:50 AM

i'm eating the Oriental flavor ones from Top Ramen right now. i have kickboxing tonight so i'll burn off the callories anyway.
#51 Old 10-19-2006, 06:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Top Ramen brand Oriental and Spicy Vegetable are both vegan the last I checked. None of the Maruchan brand flavors of ramen are veg*n friendly.

There are also several brands of other types of noodles that have veg*n flavors. Annie Chun's and Thai Kitchen are a couple. Asian markets also have several brands that offer veg*n friendly noodle soup flavors.

I know living in a dorm and being a college student limits what you can eat some, but try not to live entirely off of noodle soups. They are tasty, convenient, and cheap, but they are high in sodium and fat and low in fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals. Try to keep some frozen veggies and tvp or dried tofu on hand to add to them.

Also, see if you are allowed to have other small kitchen appliances in your dorm room. If you can, here are some suggestions that will expand your cooking possibilities greatly: a dorm-size refrigerator (with a freezer section if you can find one), a hot plate, a rice cooker (I highly recommend--you can cook rice and steam veggies and tofu in it), a slow cooker, a blender, a toaster oven, and/or a grilled sandwich maker.
#52 Old 10-19-2006, 06:56 PM

Hmm. Well, we use taco seasoning with Bacos (1/8 cup bacos, 1/8 cup of taco seasoning, 1/4 cup water) sometimes. I've also used tobasco and microwaved frozen vegetables as a flavoring. Bryanna Clark Grogan's "chicken" flavored broth is a good choice, if you mix it appopriately with water. We've used soy sauce/vinegar/brown sugar mixes (approximately 2 tsps each) and tossed in pan-fried tofu, too. Or margarine and salt. Or tomato paste and spices. Chocolate chips are good melted on the non-cooked noodles.
#53 Old 10-20-2006, 01:40 AM
Banned

I don't like the Oriental Top Ramen. There was one I liked but can't find anymore. I believe it was Original flavor, the brand was Ty Ling. It was black with green edges. I'd make the noodles, then drain most of the water, put it in a bowl, put the seasoning on, and add lots of red pepper flakes. It reminds me of the chicken picante one I used to love. Guess it was just the spice I liked.
#54 Old 10-21-2006, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Peanut Noodles are my kids favorite thing to do with Ramen noodles. We buy the big multi-packs at the Grocery warehouse and they're usually chicken, so we toss the seasoning too...

We make 'Peanut noodles" with Ramen (cooked in the microwave and drained), a spoonful of peanut butter, a splash of soy sauce and a spoonful of Sweet-Hot Chili Sauce.

Sweet-Hot chili Sauce even on it's own can perk up Ramen. It can be found in the Asian section of most grocery stores. It's sweet, ginger/garlic-spicy and hot!!

That sound Yummy...I am gonna try that....Thanx for sharing it.
#55 Old 10-21-2006, 10:49 PM
Beginner

I eat my noodles plain with a little bit of salt added. Yumm!

They have non-fried ramen noodles around somewhere. I know they have a couple brands that aren't impossible to find in a health store. Sorry i can't help anymore than that ,but a google search might help you find them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page