Watch the Meet Your Meat Video (graphic) - Page 7 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

#181 Old 02-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina. View Post

I don't think I will ever watch it! I can't bring myself to do it. I just know I'll have those images burned into my mind and have nightmares about them. I'm sure what I would see is much worse than I have already been exposed to. And what I have already been exposed to is enough to make me sick and sad.

I was the same way. I wouldn't watch it, though I've known it's been around several years. I needed some inspiration to stay on the course of vegetarianism so I decided to watch it all for the first time today.

I'm having a bit of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder right now and am hoping I don't have nightmares.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 Old 02-19-2008, 05:19 PM

Well its pretty unpleasant to watch. I have not eaten beef or pork for 15 years due to moral qualms. However I must confess that I have bought leather products so I feel somewhat hypocritical in my support of animals.
#183 Old 02-20-2008, 09:40 AM

That made me feel sick to my stomach. The beef recall video that I saw yesterday was bad enough but this is just sickening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#184 Old 02-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

OMG, that was terrible. I think I am nearly scared straight. I shouldn't have watched that, because now I am mad at myself for not become vegan and just wanted to be vegetarian. I just don't think I can do the vegan thing right away. That video was terrible.
#185 Old 02-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Veggie Regular

It's terrible the things they do to animals. But it's better to know what happens Every Day to the 10 Billion land animals we slaughter every year in the US alone than to continue to contribute to it.

It's awesome that you're going vegetarian, everything you do helps!
#186 Old 02-20-2008, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Don't be mad at yourself for not going vegan immediately!! It takes a while to adjust to for some people. I went veg immediately after seeing that video and 5 months later i'm still just a baby vegetarian , just much more knowledgeable thanks to VB. I'm not entirely comfortable continuing to eat eggs and butter ( milk has been replaced ) but i know that overnight changes never stick with me no matter how much i want them to do so.
#187 Old 02-20-2008, 10:10 AM
Veggie Regular

What would be a good substitute for milk, eggs and cheese? I use smart balance for my "butter" so I don't think that is a dairy product.
#188 Old 02-20-2008, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

There's lot sof threads on this and you may try doing a search around the forum(s). The vegan forum has loads of info but just to get you thinkin

Milk: soy milk, almond milk, rice milk (there's a lot more than you think and all relatively easy to find)

Eggs like cheese are a little bit harder. For baking there are numerous cookbooks detailing how to bake without eggs and subsitute them. There are vegan cheese substitues also but aren't a whole lot like cheese.

The best thing to do is focus on eating a whole foods, plant based diet with a wide variety. HTH!!
#189 Old 02-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I use rice milk instead of cows milk. Always hated cows milk anyway and I've had no problems with cooking. I'll even eat cold cereal now with vanilla milk. Scrumptious! I know there are lots of subs for eggs in baking and cheese alternatives though i've never tried any of them. Which smart balance are you using? Some of them contain whey
#190 Old 02-23-2008, 08:54 PM

I saw a link to that on a friend's facebook. It was what made me become a vegetarian. It's a real eye-opener.
#191 Old 02-23-2008, 09:40 PM

We do a special demonstration we call, "Meet your Meat on the Street" in the most busy area of Toronto. We play "Meet your Meat" on a projector, with the sound blasting out of a megaphone.

The results are amazing. No other method of animal advocacy that we've tried has been more quick and effective. I'm talking about people saying out of the blue, "I'm a vegatarian!"

We just give them a recipe book and it's done.

Video of demonstration
#192 Old 02-24-2008, 03:19 AM
Saz
Veggie Regular

I really want to watch this video. I know it will probably make me cry, and I'm already vegan, but I still feel I need to see it. I might see if my boyfriend (omni) will watch it with me.... I don't think it would change his food choices at all but I need someone to cuddle!

Question: Is this focussed on American farming? For some reason when I've told people about meat industry truths etc they always seem to say that its not like that in the UK, and that we have far better laws and a more humane system. And I never know what to say because I don't know if they're right or not! Is whatever is shown on this video applicable to UK farming? If I watch it with someone I want to be able to say for sure that it IS relevant to us.
#193 Old 02-27-2008, 01:11 AM

Wow! That's bad ...

Maybe I need to drop milk and eggs also ...
#194 Old 03-07-2008, 05:18 PM

i saw the meet your meat video through an acquaintance of mine and that is what got me into making better choices about what i eat.
#195 Old 04-10-2008, 07:02 PM

They just had no sympathy for those animals! They couldn't at least put them to sleep or something! I almost vomit when I smell meat!
#196 Old 04-12-2008, 12:50 AM
Beginner

I watched meet your meat video and it opened my eyes... made me stop eating meat...

Today i watched the 3 part video called Earthlings on you tube...

If you haven't watched this yet;... do!!!!!!!!!
#197 Old 04-12-2008, 04:27 PM

I saw this yesterday and I have not been eating just meat but overnight I am now a vegan.... I knew it was bad (I'm reading the book slaughterhouse) but to actually see it made me cry...
#198 Old 04-17-2008, 03:11 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyBeingreen11 View Post

I saw this yesterday and I have not been eating just meat but overnight I am now a vegan.... I knew it was bad (I'm reading the book slaughterhouse) but to actually see it made me cry...

Made me cry too and I haven't even watched it yet.... I just had the sound up. This is because I too have read Slaughterhouse and already have the images burned into my mind forever.

I will watch it today. Yesterday I "listened" to it. Today I'll watch it without the sound and then if I'm brave enough enough will watch it in full, sound and all!

I always thought of myself as a brave person, but this is horrifying beyond comprehension. To think it happens to millions of animals every single day and has done for years makes me ashamed to be part of the human race.

I will then psyche myself up for Earthlings.
#199 Old 04-19-2008, 11:50 AM
Beginner

Its tough to watch. I saw this vid, and stopped eating meat that very same day. Once you put the connection between whats on your plate, and what is in that video, you just cant face eating meat again.
#200 Old 04-23-2008, 02:28 PM

That was so horrible, I feel sick and shaken up.
#201 Old 04-23-2008, 02:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonrexkitty View Post

That was so horrible, I feel sick and shaken up.

awww Welcome to VB!!! You should head on over here and start a thread telling us more about yourself!
#202 Old 05-11-2008, 02:34 PM

man. just sick.
#203 Old 05-11-2008, 05:40 PM

I watched this a couple of years ago. It's extremely disturbing. What is wrong with people? Why do they have to do stuff like this? This makes me proud to be a vegan.
#204 Old 05-12-2008, 09:55 PM

I watched this again the other day.... I'm coming more and more closer to being vegan.
#205 Old 05-13-2008, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny View Post

Humans think of themselves as higher up beings, when in reality, we are the more primative. We cannot support ourselves. We have no fur and so we must rely on the pelts of others to keep us warm. We cannot survive in the open, so we build great structures in which to live. Humans have no claws or teeth for protection so we invent weapons that terrorize and kill. We are inferior to those that live in nature and I think that is why humans think they must exploit animals so. I think it makes humans feel like they are better when they can cage up an animal and poke it with electrical prods. Makes them feel on top of the world.

I know I haven't been here very long at all, but I have to get the following of my chest (a bit long):

We are the most advanced species. At least we can feel for animals, while animals feel absolutely nothing for other animals. Just show the videos to animals, and they simply won't even flinch. Perhaps the other sapient species (or at least some of them) can have the kind of empathy we can have. Probably most humans are capable of this.

Animals have the same ability to be cruel as humans. Some species will kill their own, just for dominance. Some species eat their own young (male lions) and predators don't always kill their prey and will start eating while the prey is still alive, while some predators never kill their prey at all before consuming the prey. When we watch those great outdoor wild animal films, we see how animals are slaughtered by predators in slow ways, and we also get to enjoy the occasional rape scenes. Yes, very nice and innocent, those animals.

In my opinion, living nature is an absolute horror fest of murder, rape and driving species to extinction, in which none of the non-human life forms has any feeling for what they're doing. No remorse, no mercy. Only we are capable of that (and perhaps some of the other sapient species in this world). I've seen a short part of a tv program about animal rescues. The human was almost risking his life for a bear cub. Now I can guarantee that when that cub grows up, it would kill the person who saved it from death, if it was hungry, while a human would be forever great full. Animals are nothing more than soulless beasts, incapable of the kind of emotions we can have.

As humans we are completely depended on our intelligence for our survival, and we've been surviving successfully for a 100000 years. We did not come into existence in a climate where we need pelts, and we were therefore able to live perfectly well just in the plain nude. Still today, there are tribes of people living in the open, wild environment, as they have been doing for thousands of years. It's us humans who are used to living in the most pampered ways (modern world), who have become incapable of living like that (and only because we haven't learned how to). We have invented weapons to add to our ability to survive in the wild, not terrorize. To kill? Yes, but in what way is this different from a predator killing it's prey? In the modern world, eating meat is nothing but a luxury. When surviving in the wild, it's an utmost necessity.

To show compassion to others, is to elevate oneself.

To show compassion to fellow creatures which can't return that compassion, is also to elevate oneself.

To commit the horrors some humans commit, is to be just like a soulless beast.
#206 Old 05-13-2008, 01:40 PM

Oh my goodness, I really hope you are not vegetarian/vegan for the animals, because if you are, they are so doomed.

So you seen a few animal shows, and animal rescue programs, and you have this narrow-minded opinion about all the species of the animal kingdom.

Your unintelligence has really shocked me to my core. If you find nature a horror fest, tell me about all the animal cruelty that humans done in the past, or are doing right now to animals, you have no idea the things I've seen, and read, that makes me want to say that yes, we humans are the intelligent ones, the caring and loving ones.

"Animals are nothing more than soulless beasts, incapable of the kind of emotions we can have." Yes, in your mind that must be true, humans do worse things than animals could ever even contemplate.

Get off your high horse, and spend some time with animals, see them closely, see how much they really care about each other, and about humans. Have some more insight, watch Earthlings, and Meet your meat, and tell me who the real soulless beasts are.
#207 Old 05-13-2008, 01:45 PM

i had a pup that died of cancer when he died our cat was in a state of depression. you could see it. when the pup was alive he and our cat hung out all day together and slept on the couch togther. they KNEW each other and missed each other.

you're wrong Thorham.

J
#208 Old 05-13-2008, 01:58 PM
Beginner

Yes, that's so true, I had lots of different animals while I was growing up, and they showed so many emotions from happiness to sadness. Animals don't cheat, don't lie, they might be not so complex, but they have lots of emotions. Mother cows are crying for days because their babies were taken away from them. Like any mother would do, human or any other animal. There are so many scientists, that studied animal behaviour (big cats, dolphins, and domistacated animals too) and they come up with fascinating facts, maybe you should look into that, Thorham.

"I don't want to tamper with natural ignorance. It's the key to happiness.
Ignorance is the key. Too much knowledge and you're doomed."

"The Animals of the planet are in desperate peril. Without free animal life I believe we will lose the spiritual equivalent of oxygen. "
#209 Old 05-13-2008, 03:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by againstcruelty View Post

Oh my goodness, I really hope you are not vegetarian/vegan for the animals, because if you are, they are so doomed.

I'm not one yet, but I'd have very little trouble becoming one, having been brought up on a largely vegetarian diet. The disgusting video posted in this thread is actually moving me towards becoming one quickly. That sort of cruelty is quite shocking, and should in no way be part of modern civilizations.

Quote:

So you seen a few animal shows, and animal rescue programs, and you have this narrow-minded opinion about all the species of the animal kingdom.

Until there is hard scientific proof that my narrow views are incorrect, I doubt I'll change them.

Quote:

Your unintelligence has really shocked me to my core. If you find nature a horror fest, tell me about all the animal cruelty that humans done in the past, or are doing right now to animals, you have no idea the things I've seen, and read, that makes me want to say that yes, we humans are the intelligent ones, the caring and loving ones.

Nature just downright sucks. All we are here for, is to reproduce and die. This kind of uselessness is quite disturbing to me. We should indeed be the emotionally intelligent ones, but we're sadly only using our intellect for profit and don't seem to care about anything else. Being able to care about the fate of other life then just your self, is a good step in the right direction.

Quote:

"Animals are nothing more than soulless beasts, incapable of the kind of emotions we can have." Yes, in your mind that must be true, humans do worse things than animals could ever even contemplate.

Get off your high horse, and spend some time with animals, see them closely, see how much they really care about each other, and about humans. Have some more insight, watch Earthlings, and Meet your meat, and tell me who the real soulless beasts are.

Yes, our species does downright evil things, the second world war being one of the biggest of those atrocities. While we certainly have a long way to travel on the spiritual road, I do believe my high horse is at least somewhat justified, as it's perfectly possible that caring in animals is just instinct. I'm not much into spending time with animals at all, as I don't find them very interesting to interact with, here I hugely prefer humans. I have indeed watched the whole Meet your meat video before posting, and I just couldn't be bothered with posting how disgusted I was, and instead tried to find a post to reply to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehote View Post

i had a pup that died of cancer when he died our cat was in a state of depression. you could see it. when the pup was alive he and our cat hung out all day together and slept on the couch togther. they KNEW each other and missed each other.

you're wrong Thorham.

J

Yes, that's what it looks like. However, the earth looks flat, as far as I can see, while evidence says it's round. On the other hand, I can't read minds, so I have to assume something, and in this case it's that most animals are soulless, and that the ones that aren't, are more than just animals. Sorry, but currently, I can't see it in another way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangogirl View Post

Yes, that's so true, I had lots of different animals while I was growing up, and they showed so many emotions from happiness to sadness. Animals don't cheat, don't lie, they might be not so complex, but they have lots of emotions. Mother cows are crying for days because their babies were taken away from them. Like any mother would do, human or any other animal. There are so many scientists, that studied animal behaviour (big cats, dolphins, and domistacated animals too) and they come up with fascinating facts, maybe you should look into that, Thorham.

Now I must admit, that I don't look into these things at all, finding humans and computers a lot more interesting than animals. Even other sapient species, such as dolphins, don't interest me much. Perhaps I should take some time look into it.

My original post was actually a pretty impulsive reply to a pretty impulsive part of a post. I don't know how I do it, but each time I get on a new forum, some of my first posts always seem to end up like this one. Oh boy, that needs to change.

One last thing: Just because I see animals as less than humans, doesn't mean I believe we should use them as we see fit. So what if a life form is less then our own. Big deal, who cares. If people use that as an excuse to keep doing bad things to lesser life forms, then they're big idiots.
#210 Old 05-14-2008, 07:03 AM

Oh my gosh, what a shocking video. I almost turned it off in the middle, but I needed to grit and bare it and see what they are really doing to those poor animals. I would think that kind of treatment would make all animal consumption unclean.

Tags
meat-alternatives , Vegetarian-Recipes , Vegan-Recipes , Vegan-Lifestyle , Vegetarian-Lifestyle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page