How can I gain weight? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-08-2006, 11:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I became a lacto-ovo vegetarian in August. I'm naturally thin, to the point where people think I have an eating disorder, and I can eat and eat and not gain any weight. I have a very fast metabolism! My mom and siblings are naturally thin too.

I can't afford to lose any weight. I should probably even gain a little weight. Since I've become a vegetarian, I've lost a few pounds.

On the "Vegetarian Times" website, it says:

You should begin to see a little weight loss within the first week or so. Even without counting calories, it’s common to lose about one pound per week until you approach your ideal weight and reach a plateau

Does that mean once I reach my "ideal weight" I'll stay there?

How can I gain weight in a healthy way?

I read that cheese, nuts, and olives are high in both fat and calories, so I bought almonds and I've been eating olives with my salads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-09-2006, 04:15 AM

You can always hang out with me and eat. I am overweight. I wish I had the problem of being a little thin.

But seriously, you can make sure you eat starches with every meal. I know potatoes have made me a little PLUMP!!
#3 Old 10-09-2006, 11:41 AM
Banned

Eat more. Less salad, more dense foods. That will work. You can also drink calories - juices, smoothies, soymilk, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-09-2006, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

make sure you aren't exercising too much and if posible take a nap in the afternoon. I read somewhere that sumo wrestlers take a nap after eating a big meal in order to put weight on.
#5 Old 10-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

If all else fails after 25 your metabolism will slow down.....believe me .
#6 Old 10-09-2006, 12:27 PM

lots, and lots, of peanut butter. and creamy salad dressings.
#7 Old 10-09-2006, 03:49 PM

But do get in a lot of exercise. There are a lot of body types in this world and exercise, done properly, can level the field. If you want to look bigger, I'd suggest adding a weight lifting component to your life. I am not talking about 4 hours daily in the gym, but a couple of times a week will make you healthier, stronger, and perhaps more in line with the body image you wish.
#8 Old 10-09-2006, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Um yeah considering I NEVER exercise...

<--- not healthy

I really want to start exercising, and a new gym just opened in the basement of my dorm so I'll probably go down there a few times a week!
#9 Old 10-09-2006, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrykat View Post

If all else fails after 25 your metabolism will slow down.....believe me .

crap, I better buff up in the next 3 months before its too late.
#10 Old 10-09-2006, 08:38 PM
Veggie Regular

To start, I would have to agree with tildenm about there being a lot of body types in the world. Although there are many vegetarian/vegan ways to gain weight, which I'll list at the end for you, I think it is first important to take a look at who you are and why you may want to change something about yourself. What I'm trying to say is that trying to fit an image, either in gaining weight, losing it, or other, is pretty much impossible if you don't accept that who you are is who you are no matter what changes you do or don't go through. I'm not trying to get on you about what your motivations are; all I'm trying to say is that we're all beautiful in our form, and when we become accepting of this, it is a lot easier for change to take place. Another reason why I say this is that considering how you said that you consider yourself naturally thin, and that all of your family is as well, it is more than likely that no matter how much you eat, you may not gain a considerable amount of weight. I know this is the case with my sisters as well as many friends. I think what is important is being healthy. If your doctor believes that you are healthy, as well as yourself, then that is all the really matters. But if you still want to gain some healthy weight... I think the muscle building idea is good, just as long as you are sure to eat very well while doing so, or else you could be burning calories. Otherwise, just increase your calorie content; Foods I would suggest are avocados, breads and pastas, and nuts... and if you really just want to gain weight fast, although this isn't exactly healthy and shouldn't take up the majority of your diet, sweets of any kind will definitely make you gain weight. Hope this helps and good luck.
#11 Old 10-10-2006, 04:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank you for your reply sushi8kat. It really got me thinking and helped me a lot.

On those "online body weight calculators" I'm always underweight.

My family is all thin, but I'm just plain skinny.

This girl called me a skeleton the other day (she didn't intend to be mean) but I really don't want people to think of me as a skeleton! I hate when people think I have an eating disorder.

I just don't want to lose any more weight. I've lost 5 lbs in the past couple months and I wanted to try to gain that back!

I just didn't feel like I was at a healthy weight, especially comparing myself to other people. But you're right, there are all sorts of differnet body types and I just have to accept who I am.

Thanks again sushi8kat
#12 Old 10-10-2006, 11:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

crap, I better buff up in the next 3 months before its too late.

One of us! One of us! One of us!

I know as soon as I turned 25, all of not even 2 months ago, the fat just piled on. It's like I got stung by a million bees. I can barely fit through most doorways. Here's a picture.

~Wonder
#13 Old 10-11-2006, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

If you think mid-20s is a metabolism slump, wait until you hit your mid-30s. I've been told to dread what happens to your metabolism when us ladies hit menopause.

Katie - just try to eat healthy. And exercise - exercise is not just about weight, but also about cardiovascular/heart health. You can use more nuts for your protein sources to add good fats. If you're naturally thin, it's probably good not to get too thin and to keep a general eye on your weight, but keep in mind that some of it is genetic. Healthy is the way to go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page