Questions about tofu, soy - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-03-2006, 01:52 PM

As I understand this way of eating, a lot of protein is coming from soy? I am currently researching various dietary regimens, and I found this information on soy:

"
Soy and soy products

This applies to all soya products including, Miso, Natto, Shoyu, Soy Cheese, Soy milk, Soy Sauce, Tamari, Tempeh, Tofu, Texturized Soy Protein, Soy Protein Concentrate, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Soy Protein Isolate.

Soya beans contain many substances which are harmful to our health. Previously some fermented soya products were allowed with provisos such as may be tried after 3 months symptom free However this was often interpreted as them being legal and were being consumed in quantities far more than desirable. Soya beans start off with many undesirable substances and to separate and produce other products a large amount of chemical processing is required. Even after fermentation its doubtful that all of these substances will be removed entirely, also as in any manufacturing process we are reliant on what the manufacturer tells us. There is increasing evidence of the detrimental effects of Soy therefore Elaine has decided that all Soya products fermented or not are illegal.

The undesirable side of Soy

Soybeans contain large quantities of natural toxins including enzyme inhibitors that block the action of trypsin and other enzymes needed for protein digestion. These inhibitors can produce serious gastric distress, reduced protein digestion and chronic deficiencies in amino acid uptake.

Soybeans also contain haemagglutinin, a clot-promoting substance that causes red blood cells to clump together. Trypsin inhibitors and haemagglutinin are growth inhibitors

In precipitated products like tofu, enzyme inhibitors concentrate in the soaking liquid rather than in the curd. Thus, in tofu and bean curd, growth depressants are reduced in quantity but not completely eliminated.

Soy contains goitrogens - substances that depress thyroid function.

Soy also has one of the highest percentages of contamination by pesticides of any foods.
Soybeans are high in phytic acid that blocks the uptake of essential minerals - calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and especially zinc - in the intestinal tract. Zinc is a key component in numerous vital enzymes and plays a role in the immune system. Phytates found in soy products interfere with zinc absorption more completely than with other minerals. Zinc deficiency can cause a "spacey" feeling."

I'm sharing this from the Breaking the Vicious cycle site:

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle....base/kb/soy.htm

I am really worried about these health risks associated with soy. Can anyone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Soy is only a big part of a veg*n diet if you choose it to be.

There are plenty of other options for getting protein.

Cheers!

TJ
#3 Old 10-03-2006, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

The excerpt you posted sounds awfully one-sided. That's often a red flag. If there is indeed "increasing evidence" for something, there must have been studies...and I haven't found anything from a reliable source that sounds particularly unsettling. The first sites I go to to find information are http://www.pubmed.gov and http://scholar.google.com.

Also make sure you check the references on any site you visit. In this case, the list includes mercola.com - complete quackery, giant red flag - but no legitimate studies whatsoever.

Frankly, too much of just about anything can be harmful, but if you're still concerned, you don't *have* to rely on soy for your protein. I go through about a carton of soy milk a week, or slightly less, and a few servings of soy yoghurt and the odd bit of tofu or soy mince. Nuts, seeds and legumes will give you plenty of protein.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-03-2006, 02:36 PM
Banned

I agree with snow white.

Instead of researching soy, research human nutrition. Soy is an amazingly efficient source of some of the stuff your body needs, but it is not a complete food nor is it the only thing one should eat.

Overdosing on any food item has its negative aspects. Only people obsessed with soy will suffer the consequences.
#5 Old 10-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

that's horrible biased. besides, most soy products are made with organic soybeans, which cuts out that last paragraph. I know that all my soy products are organic. Silk, soy delicious, tamari, and nasoyo tofu.
#6 Old 10-03-2006, 03:39 PM

Wow - thanks for the help. I agree it is one-sided; it's from a site that basically lists foods that are good for the body and foods that are bad (according to their research). So basically, they tell you what they've found about a particular food, and in the case of soy, it didn't look so good!

I will continue my research. Anyone have links to any studies that refute any of these claims? I will check out Google Scholar for sure.
#7 Old 10-03-2006, 04:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketivnilloc View Post

most soy products are made with organic soybeans, which cuts out that last paragraph.

I'd like to see some references to this, if you can provide...
#8 Old 10-04-2006, 04:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't think there's anything to worry about unless soy is all you eat. I mean, some days I do have a ton of soy, but there are times when I'll go a week-two weeks without it.

If you're truly worried, try purchasing an equal amount of rice and soy products (IE: rice milk, rice cream, etc.). This will lessen your soy intake.
#9 Old 10-04-2006, 12:20 PM

Well, I've read conflicting studies about soy, it seems that for every study saying that soy is bad, there is a study saying that soy is good. Although I may not eat tofu every day, I do have a cup of soy milk every day and nothing is wrong with me. My mother has been a vegetarian for 40 years, eats a lot of soy, and nothing is wrong with her either. In parts of asia, people eat a lot of soy and they're fine too. The article had a lot to do with the processing of soy and pesticides, so if that's a concern, buy organic soy. I see nothing wrong with it though.
#10 Old 10-05-2006, 07:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel View Post

I'd like to see some references to this, if you can provide...

i said the soy products i buy...but either way, i haven't seen anything soy that wasn't organic and I shop at regular (non health food) stores
#11 Old 10-05-2006, 10:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketivnilloc View Post

i said the soy products i buy...but either way, i haven't seen anything soy that wasn't organic and I shop at regular (non health food) stores

You said what I quoted. Those are your words!
#12 Old 10-06-2006, 05:11 AM
Beginner

I believe it is the over processed soy that can be bad, genetically modified soy, so in that case always buy non-gmo or organic. I have in fact seen some soy products that are not organic and I will not buy them. Also I think part of it is the meat and dairy industry are afraid of losing profits due to soy comsumption. Read what John Robbins has to say about it on his website, it makes a lot of sense.
#13 Old 10-06-2006, 08:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Here's what John Robbins has to say:

http://www.foodrevolution.org/what_about_soy.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page