New to Vegetarianism - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-02-2006, 03:24 PM

I'm new to being a vegetarian as of today. It seems hard for me to give up meat though. Tofu is just like meat, but I know it isn't the same, so I just can't enjoy it. If no one has any objections, I'd like to post a few enquiries:

1. What are the benefits of being a vegetarian?

2. How can I give up meat fully?

3. Is it ok to eat meat every once in a long while?

Thanks, everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-02-2006, 03:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi! There's lots and lots of benefits to being vegetarian. Aside from the obvious benefit of not having to kill animals for food, there's loads of health benefits. Obesity is less common among vegetarians as well as heart disease, most cancers, diabetes and other ailments. Plant-based foods have more vitamins, minerals and fiber than animal-based foods and also have far less saturated fat and no cholesterol. The only vitamin that you can't get from plant-based foods is b-12 and since lots of vegetarian convenience foods (like veggie burgers and soymilk) are enriched with b-12, it's not a huge concern. If you're going to continue consuming dairy and/or eggs, you don't need to worry about b-12 at all (however, a vegan diet is healthier IMO.)

I found it VERY easy to give up meat fully (I've only been vegetarian for a few months.) I actually like vegetarian versions of foods typically made of meat way better than the real thing. There's tons of vegetarian convenience foods out there that make the transition a breeze (though you shouldn't depend on them.) There's about a billion vegetarian cookbooks and websites out there that'll help you figure out what to eat.

Tofu takes a bit of practice. It's all in the preparation. I actually haven't met a single person that's actually tried well-prepared tofu and hasn't liked it. It's pretty much tasteless so it picks up flavors really well. If you're a little daring and willing to experiment, it's definitely worth trying. Just grab a recipe and give it a shot. If you really, really don't like it though, there's lots of other vegetarian protein foods you can try. There's tempeh, seitan and just plain beans to name a few.

It's up to you to decide whether eating meat once in a long while is okay. The vegan police will not come after you (although they might give you a hard time here.) After a few weeks of being meatless, you may not want to eat it anymore. I actually haven't craved meat at all (cheese has been more difficult.)
#3 Old 08-02-2006, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB!

Have you seen this thread? https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...t=50249&page=8

It contains a lot of useful information for maintaining a meatless diet.

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-02-2006, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynebow View Post

Better health. Less of an environmental footprint. Estimated that going vegan saves around 93 animals a year. A vegetarian diet uses less water and food to maintain then a carnivorous one. Better health. You feel more at peace with the world.

Quote:

Thats like asking "How do I stop smoking?". You just stop.

Quote:

That is up to your individual ethics with the infomation presented. Is it ok to kill a human once in a long while? Is it ok to shoot up herion once in a while? Some will argue to abstain always, others will say everything in moderation. It's up to your own ethics and how you view this, and what your reasons for doing this are.

Good luck and enjoy the journey. It is one of challenges and great rewards.
#5 Old 08-02-2006, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

For an answer for number 2, just make the decision and stick with it. my first veggie meal was on a school trip when a friend influenced me. i'm 16, and i've stuck with it for 5 months now.

For an answer for number 3, if you do eat meat every once in a long while, you're still an omnivore. And please don't call yourself a veggie and eat chicken or fish. THEN the vegan police will be after you, along with every single veggie on the planet...
#6 Old 08-02-2006, 06:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynebow View Post

Health benefits:

-lower obesity risk

-may lower blood pressure

-lower heart disease risk

-lower cancer risk

-lower risk of digestive disorders

-vegetarians tend to be happier/healthier, and sleep better

Other benefits:

-you aren't supporting the meat industry and the animal cruelty it involves

-you are helping to fight world hunger

-you aren't participating in the worst form of environmental destruction

Quote:

1. Don't eat it.

2. Watch the video on MeetYourMeat.com

3. Order the free veg starter kit at GoVeg.com or TryVeg.com for more information

I don't really know what else to say because I didn't have alot of problems cutting out meat (and meat was my fave food and 75% of my diet, so I don't see the problem)

Quote:

Is it okay if I smack you upside the head only once in a long while? NO.

Lol. Those that believe in animal rights, believe it ALWAYS applies, you can't just ignore it once and awhile when you feel like it. Those who are just veg for health - yes you can eat meat once and awhile, but then you are NOT vegetarian. It is a lie to call yourself vegetarian if you eat meat, no matter how often.

Hope I helped. I wish you well
#7 Old 08-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Beginner

Congrats on your decision, and welcome to VB!

Let me clue you in - rookie mistake to ask if it's okay to eat meat on this website. Pause... hmmm....

The thing is that nobody here thinks it's right to eat meat...regardless of how long you wait before you eat it.

Truth be told...after reading your post I was going to post with responses just like eveyone else's, but then I read everyone else's posts and I decided to spare you.

Good Luck with vegetarianism!

go here for the rewarding benefits of being veg*n!

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...77#post1330577
#8 Old 08-03-2006, 04:43 AM

Thanks for the help everyone! I'll be sure to take all advice given, .
#9 Old 08-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Banned

There is no benefits to become a vegetarian, besides becoming a complete dickface.

Dickface.
#10 Old 08-04-2006, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I feel bad for you eatsteak, to be so lost, so ignorant, so wrapped up in your own world to see and feel beyond yourself.

You know... it's going on 10:00pm, isn't it a bit past your bed time? It's grown up time now, mommy has had a long day. Time to come out of the basement and go to sleep.
#11 Old 08-08-2006, 04:59 PM
Veggie Regular

be strong...stay strong...get more educated and informed... stay connected and keep visiting VB...feel proud!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page