frying - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 07-24-2006, 03:19 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Stupid question.



When I eat out, or I am in a hotel, and I ask for a veg meal (when i was ovo-lacto i mean) and they gave me fried cheese/ eggs, is there a possibility that they fried it in the used oil after frying meat?



I'm not freaky about it, just curious, if in the restaurants/ hotels/ hostels they do so, it could mean that it's almost impossible to eat veg out
GhostUser is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 07-24-2006, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Tweety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 920
More than likely the used separate oils, but used the same grill. For instance they fried the eggs on the same grill the cook bacon or hamburger, but I've usually seen them scrape the grill. You would probably taste the meat flavor if they used the same the same oil.
Tweety is offline  
#3 Old 07-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Administrator
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 19,873
It's possible. Just ask, they'll tell you.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 07-24-2006, 05:51 PM
Newbie
 
GoodLifeSean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 71
I know some do some don't, but I think michael has got the right idea
GoodLifeSean is offline  
#5 Old 07-25-2006, 12:26 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Raspberry06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 329
ewww iv never thought about that!
Raspberry06 is offline  
#6 Old 07-25-2006, 04:13 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
i started after my school trip, cause they gave me fried cheese and i saw the lady putting it out from a pan, and then putting some chicken on the same one, then yesterday my bf said that it's very common way to save on oil.



The other thing is, that reused oil is really gross and e.g. my friend's mom reuses the oil after frying pancakes and keep it in a jar
GhostUser is offline  
#7 Old 07-25-2006, 04:23 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,981
Re-using oil that has been heated is very unhealthy.



And for what its worth, I travel a lot for my job which means I pretty much live in hotels and eat out at restaurants every night. I have been doing this for years and years. Its very easy to eat vegetarian in restaurants as along as you simply talk to them. You'd be surprised at how many restaurants regulary deal with vegetarians or people on restricted diets everyday.
MrFalafel is offline  
#8 Old 07-25-2006, 07:23 AM
Veggie Regular
 
ketivnilloc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 376
not only do places share the oil, they also use it for weeks at a time. not healthy, or legal. i would know, my dad is in that industry.
ketivnilloc is offline  
#9 Old 07-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular
 
froggythefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 9,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslimonster View Post

i started after my school trip, cause they gave me fried cheese and i saw the lady putting it out from a pan, and then putting some chicken on the same one, then yesterday my bf said that it's very common way to save on oil.



The other thing is, that reused oil is really gross and e.g. my friend's mom reuses the oil after frying pancakes and keep it in a jar



Frying pancakes in enough oil to save would make me
froggythefrog is offline  
#10 Old 07-25-2006, 12:28 PM
Veggie Regular
 
4EverGrounded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 5,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslimonster View Post

my friend's mom reuses the oil after frying pancakes and keep it in a jar

I have relatives that will keep bacon grease in a coffee can on the back of their stoves. Some of them have had those same coffeecans going for as long as I can remember (and I'm 40 now).



sooooooo disgusting on sooooooo many levels....
4EverGrounded is offline  
#11 Old 07-25-2006, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular
 
ketivnilloc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 376
i can understand the bacon grease thing. the reason is that bacon grease can't go down a sink because as soon as it cools down, it solidifies. My family does it. When the can is full they throw it away....or use it to cook
ketivnilloc is offline  
#12 Old 07-25-2006, 03:17 PM
Veggie Regular
 
codemonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,511
I've got a recipe in one of my old cookbooks that lists bacon fat as one of the ingredients but not bacon. They just assume you have bacon fat in the house. Even as an omni, I'd never even cooked bacon. I'd never considered saving the fat. That's the part you throw away in my universe.
codemonkey is offline  
#13 Old 07-25-2006, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Tofu-N-Sprouts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 11,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketivnilloc View Post

i can understand the bacon grease thing. the reason is that bacon grease can't go down a sink because as soon as it cools down, it solidifies. My family does it. When the can is full they throw it away....or use it to cook



I had to fry hamburger for the first time when I worked with disabled young adults in an Independant Living facility. I was 'supposed' to be helping them learn how to make their own breakfast (never ask a vegetarian to do this).



Naturally I was horrified at all the grease left in the pan so I poured it down the drain.

There was a LOT.

It clogged the drain.

The students thought it was hilarious! I was not amused.



Our lesson that day ended with: "How to call a plumber when the sink is hopelessly clogged".
Tofu-N-Sprouts is offline  
#14 Old 07-25-2006, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular
 
codemonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,511
If it does that to a sink drain, just imagine what it does to your arteries.
codemonkey is offline  
#15 Old 07-25-2006, 05:20 PM
Veggie Regular
 
kpickell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 16,090
1. It's still a vegetarian meal even if it was cooked in oil used to also cook meat.



2. ... that's all.
kpickell is offline  
#16 Old 07-25-2006, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular
 
froggythefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 9,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

I had to fry hamburger for the first time when I worked with disabled young adults in an Independant Living facility. I was 'supposed' to be helping them learn how to make their own breakfast (never ask a vegetarian to do this).



Naturally I was horrified at all the grease left in the pan so I poured it down the drain.

There was a LOT.

It clogged the drain.

The students thought it was hilarious! I was not amused.



Our lesson that day ended with: "How to call a plumber when the sink is hopelessly clogged".



Lots and lots of pots of boiling water and bleach doesn't do the trick? I've never been in that situation per se.... I've worked fast food where we always had degreasers on hand.... Hot water was a different matter.
froggythefrog is offline  
#17 Old 07-26-2006, 01:39 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Tofu-N-Sprouts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 11,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Lots and lots of pots of boiling water and bleach doesn't do the trick?



I honestly don't remember, (this was YEARS ago) but we tried boiling water and a number of other (probably lethal) combinations to no avail...
Tofu-N-Sprouts is offline  
#18 Old 07-26-2006, 01:55 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Misty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

1. It's still a vegetarian meal even if it was cooked in oil used to also cook meat.



2. ... that's all.



Do you honestly think that?



I'm not sure where I stand on that one. I do know all hell will break loose if anyone dares cook meat items in my deep fryer at home. I'm even anal about frozen chips that have been precooked in beef fat. It so has to leech back into my vegetable oil.
Misty is offline  
#19 Old 07-26-2006, 02:22 AM
Veggie Regular
 
kpickell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 16,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty View Post

Do you honestly think that?



I'm not sure where I stand on that one. I do know all hell will break loose if anyone dares cook meat items in my deep fryer at home. I'm even anal about frozen chips that have been precooked in beef fat. It so has to leech back into my vegetable oil.

Yes I was being serious. But I also don't care if someone uses the same knife to cut my sandwhich as a meat sandwhich. And I don't care if someone uses the same gloves to handle both items. It just doesn't bother me, and it certainly doesn't make something non-vegetarian (even if it does bother you enough to refuse to eat it.) Just because a pickle falls on the floor, it's still a vegetarian food item, even if you think it's too gross to eat or covered in dirt.
kpickell is offline  
#20 Old 07-26-2006, 03:53 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Misty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 489
kpickell .. i admire your view because i guess it would make life easier, but i disagree for my own personal choices. Life was never meant to be easy.
Misty is offline  
#21 Old 07-26-2006, 06:22 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Hm, I think kpickell is right at some point, because we pay for the dish, not only for the oil or sth. So at ethical point it's IMO not bad.



But the health & taste point isn't, and i would feel quite disgusted if e.g. my pancake smelled like bacon.
GhostUser is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off