Lunch Question - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-11-2006, 11:26 PM

I am just starting to try being a veg. and I am having trouble with things to eat for lunch. I pack my lunch and would normally have turkey sandwich.

Any thoughts on ways to start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-11-2006, 11:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Here is a great blog to give you some inspiration:

http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/

Easy staples for me include cut up veggies, whole fruits, sandwiches, salads, and leftovers from the night before.

Today I took a chickpea salad sandwhich with a mixed green and herb salad with avacado and balsamic vinegar. Oh, and a handful of a dried fruit and nut mix.

Actually, I think we also have a thread going on about this in the food discussion forum right now:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=57154

I've seen lots of good (and yummy) ideas in there!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#3 Old 07-12-2006, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Salad with avocado, tomatoes, onion, apples, cranberries, nuts, seeds, flax oil dressing

fresh veggies with hummus

leftovers from dinner

pizza with sauce, spinach, tomatoes, peppers, onions, avocado, broccoli
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-12-2006, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Do you have a fridge available to you at work? I find it easier to purchase veggie dogs, veggie hamburgers, chickenless nuggets, etc... and prepare them in the microwave at work. I also used to buy frozen vegetables and I'd steam them in my cube or office. If you do that and put your veggie hot dogs in the steamer with the vegetables five to ten minutes before the vegetables are finished it heats them up nicely.
#5 Old 07-12-2006, 11:11 AM
Banned

if you really like simple stuff and wanna stay with similar stuff to what you're used to, you could just replace your turkey in your sandwich with some of those fake turkey slices you can get... whats its called... tofurky or something (i don't use it myself so i'm not up on it).... might be worth looking into!
#6 Old 07-12-2006, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Browse through the Food Discussion forum. There are LOTS of threads on lunch ideas!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 07-12-2006, 12:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I really like the tofurky hickory-smoked deli slices, but they do tend to be a bit on the expensive side. You can make your own sandwitch slices by slicing extra-firm tofu really thin (I freeze it first because that makes it a lot more chewy), pressing it, marinading it, and then cooking it till brown over high heat.
#8 Old 07-13-2006, 07:52 AM
Veggie Regular

If I'm packing lunch, I take the ziploc or gladware containers and fill them with leftovers from dinner last night, normally brown rice or ww couscous with the entree if that's how it was served...

peanut butter and maple syrup sammies

hummus sammies

avocado, tomato and cucumber

whip up extra firm silken tofu with some sundried tomato, a bit of olive oil, basil and a dash of salt and pepper and use it like cream cheese, you can do the same with mixed veggies and garlic too

wraps on tortillas with hummus, shredded carrots, cucumber, spinach

wraps with peanut butter, banana, shredded apple, raisins, and a drizzle of molasses
#9 Old 07-13-2006, 08:31 AM

I usually take one day of my week and make a bunch of something so i have easy lunches for the rest of the week.

Brown rice with a peanutbutter/sesame oil/braggs/maple syrup/rasins/carrots sauce or with a maple syrup/tamari/olive oil/green onion bits sauce

Curry veggie pot casserole

ask for the recipie if you're interested, it's super yummy and goes over well with meat eaters and non meat eaters alike!

I like to bring Hummus sandwiches too! toasted Ezekiel sprouted grain bread (found in the natural part of the grocery store, little more $$ but SO worth it) with a slathering of hummus, sliced english cucumbers, more hummus, then sliced organic carrots.. with a slight sprinking of salt and pepper.... nothing can compare!

If I'm really lazy I bring a bunch of spinich with some nuts thrown on top with whatever veggies i have cut up and a little cup of salad dressing.
#10 Old 07-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB85cj7 View Post

I am just starting to try being a veg. and I am having trouble with things to eat for lunch. I pack my lunch and would normally have turkey sandwich.

Any thoughts on ways to start.

Tofurky sandwich!!!!
#11 Old 07-13-2006, 03:17 PM
Administrator

If you're used to taking a sandwich you shouldn't have any trouble at all. Most grocery stores have fake meat slices. They're usually in the produce section though (near the tofu), not with the meat.

Tofurky is my favorite brand but it's are harder to find. Most stores carry Yves. I really haven't had any that I've disliked.

http://www.yvesveggie.com/products_f...=Deli%20Slices

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#12 Old 07-13-2006, 04:17 PM
Veggie Regular

extremely lazy lunch ideas:

Make a big pot of pasta, take the leftover pasta, dump some store bought sauce on it and boom, instant lunch. Supplement with fruit or veggies.

I also like Tai Kitchen rice noodle soup. You can just pour boiling water on it and let it sit (comes in vegan varieties). Another instant lunch. Supplement with fruit or veggies.

Sadly, these two options have pretty much been the mainstay of my lunches the past while. Yes, lunch is my achilles heel.
#13 Old 07-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Smart Deli slices are good for making pretty standard sandwich fare.

Some of my standard lunches consist of:

- ww tortilla wraps with deli slices/tofu/hummus/pb/other things like that

- chickpea salad (make just like tuna or chicken salad -- just used mashed chickpeas instead of meat) in a sandwich or with crackers

- leftovers

- microwaveable soup -- Fantastic Foods soups are good (if I am at work)

Happy lunching
#14 Old 07-13-2006, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular

What about PBJ? It's the staple of life.
#15 Old 07-14-2006, 11:55 PM

There's some great ideas so far. If you wanna modify your sandwich, avocado sandwiches are delish. But my absolute favorite? (Fakin') Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato...with veganaise? I'm in heaven!
#16 Old 07-15-2006, 11:59 AM
Beginner

chiara i really like that chickpea salad idea (i crave tuna and chicken salad so bad sometimes) could u give me ur exact recipe for it.
#17 Old 07-23-2006, 10:28 AM

oh my. for lunch i'll usually bring some pitas with hummus and cucumbers inside of them with those little juice boxes with silk in them (lovee!!)

or like a veggie sub with cucumbers peppers lettuce tomato and a ton of black pepper. but thats only if i cant find any tofurky.

or i'll have pita filled with veggies and hummus i knowits liek the first one but i have that and whatever else i have at home so it's like gigantic. i'm a sandwich person haha
#18 Old 07-23-2006, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer N View Post

What about PBJ?

That's exactly what I was going to suggest. You may not want to eat it every day for lunch, but it's easy. It's actually what I eat for lunch a lot if I'm packing it. Of course, everyone else has more interesting options. Oh, and some fresh fruit is always good. Or veggies.

#19 Old 07-23-2006, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer N View Post

What about PBJ?

That's exactly what I was going to suggest. You may not want to eat it every day for lunch, but it's easy. It's actually what I eat for lunch a lot if I'm packing it. Of course, everyone else has more interesting options. Oh, and some fresh fruit is always good. Or veggies.

#20 Old 07-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morna View Post

I really like the tofurky hickory-smoked deli slices, but they do tend to be a bit on the expensive side. You can make your own sandwitch slices by slicing extra-firm tofu really thin (I freeze it first because that makes it a lot more chewy), pressing it, marinading it, and then cooking it till brown over high heat.

Wow, interesting(and cheaper!). What do you marinate yours in?
#21 Old 07-23-2006, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I mostly take leftovers but when I don't have any I like tortillas with either hummus and salad (like lettuce, spinach, peppers, shredded carrots and sweetcorn) or tortillas with nut butter, sliced bananas and a drizzle of agave syrup. Divine!

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#22 Old 07-24-2006, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay9 View Post

chiara i really like that chickpea salad idea (i crave tuna and chicken salad so bad sometimes) could u give me ur exact recipe for it.

Absolutely! I didn't really measure things exactly the last time I made it, but here's roughly what I did:

Chiara's Chickpea Salad

Mash 2 cans of chickpeas (use a food processor, a blender, a fork, or whatever else works for you).

Add 3-4 T of vegan mayonnaise, such as Nayonnaise or Veganaise, to the mashed chickpeas and stir well. Continue to add mayonnaise until you reach your desired level of moistness.

Cut 4-5 sweet gherkins and 1-2 stalks of celery into 1/4-in. cubes.

Add to chickpea mixture, stir well, and enjoy!
#23 Old 07-25-2006, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Another vote for the tofurkey sandwich!!

I was same as you (used to eating turkey sammies). Now, I have a

tofurkey sandwich for lunch almost every day...well, actually a tofurkey wrap (i use a ww tortilla instead of sliced bread).

Either way, tastes great and well worth it. Its a great brand and sliced really thin, which I love.
#24 Old 07-26-2006, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Bean and rice burritos

Boca Italian Sausage sandwich

[fake]BLT

Pasta w/ veggies and really good marinara sauce

Veggie wrap

Pea or Lentil Soup and crusty bread
#25 Old 11-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Beginner

sounds yummy thanks it took me a long time 2 reply! i forgot even asking i think i'll go make some now.
#26 Old 11-30-2007, 04:18 PM

If you like sandwiches my favourites are: 1. Peanut butter+ fake honey. 2. Jam+ vegan cream cheese. 3. Peanut butter+ Jelly.

But you don't have to just stick to sandwiches. Wraps are great too! Just be creative. And they're are vegetarian mock sandwich meats too. Also you can pack burritoes, tacos, etc. Or you can always pack left overs. Like if you made something really yummy the night before, just pack it in some tupperware, or one of those laptop bento lunch boxes. I'm getting one soon since I have to pack fun 24/7! Good luck!
#27 Old 12-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't fall into the trap of thinking there HAS to be a sandwich or other "main course" in there. I usually either take a salad, leftovers from dinner, or I combine 3 or 4 items from the following (note: I'm a l/o veg, so not all of these are vegan):

-sandwich (pb&j or hummus on whole wheat)

-piece of fruit

-baby carrots w/ salsa or hummus for dipping

-celery sticks w/ peanut or other nut butter

-muffin

-string cheese

-cup of soup

-little bag of chips or cookies

-crackers

-box of juice or soymilk

-granola bar

You get the idea... be creative!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page