Always hungry - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-09-2006, 11:28 PM

I hav't eaten pork in two years...I havn't eaten steak or chicken in 6 months...and fish I gave up about 2 months ago....

Since I gave up meat...completely...I have been non stop starving...has anyone else experianced this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-09-2006, 11:35 PM
Banned

If it's not a question of food volume. It's a question of psychological cravings.
#3 Old 07-09-2006, 11:44 PM

I cannot seem to physically get full. could be a psych thing though...who knows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-09-2006, 11:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Well can you post a bit of what you ARE eating?
#5 Old 07-10-2006, 09:56 AM

meat alternatives (when economical), peanut butter, crackers, an assortment of frozen or fresh veggies, vegetarian soups, beans...that type of stuff.
#6 Old 07-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I would suggest maybe *some* complex carbs of some type, brown rice, whole grain pastas, etc.

Also after going veg. I noticed the same type of thing with myself, if you eat more frequently during the day it should also help to curb the "hungry" feelings. Even if it's just a piece of fruit or some fresh veggies!

After a few more months your body should adjust and you should start feeling less hungry. I've heard of quite a few people who go through a sort of "detox" period where all they want to do is eat.

Oh & Congratulations on your new changes!!!

Michelle
#7 Old 07-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm constantly hungry also, plus I'm getting fat!
#8 Old 07-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree that complex carbs (i.e., whole wheat bread, brown rice, etc) would help. Though I have found that since becoming vegan (from lacto-ovo) I'm hungry more often, but that's better for your body anyway...to eat more often and yet smaller meals I also eat some vegan candy bars, brownies, etc. which fills me up for a little bit
#9 Old 07-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludi View Post

I'm constantly hungry also, plus I'm getting fat!

when I first became a vegetarian I put on about 20 pounds - from where I stand now I understand that this was not nessecary but at the time I was only concerned with eliminating meat from my diet, I had no concept of how to replace it in a healthy, wholesome way.

not that I'm any kind of expert, but if I had it to do over I would have gone out to buy a good vegetarian cookbook right away as well as a book about health and nutrition in general. Understanding the role meat plays in the average american's diet puts a meatless diet in an interesting perspective. unfortunately, I didn't discover this until waaaay after the fact. good luck!
#10 Old 07-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxfire View Post

I cannot seem to physically get full. could be a psych thing though...who knows

I've always been told it's very bad for you physically to "feel full." Maybe you're just not stuffing yourself at every meal now that you don't have meat on your plate? If you feel constantly hungry, though, it might just be that you aren't getting the balanced meal you need now, and maybe you need to look into new foods to try that'll give you that nutrition?
#11 Old 07-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Veggie Regular

It's okay to "feel full" if by "full" you mean "satisfied".

Quote:
Originally Posted by flvegnewbie View Post

After a few more months your body should adjust and you should start feeling less hungry. I've heard of quite a few people who go through a sort of "detox" period where all they want to do is eat.

If that's the case, my "detox" lasted the whole 1.5 years I was vegan... I just wasn't eating enough fat - and junk fat doesn't cut it. Try increasing foods like nuts, granola, avocado, hummus, and anything swimming in olive oil...
#12 Old 07-10-2006, 10:04 PM
Beginner

I always say, if you're haungry, eat. Some people graze all day long, and don't eat many big meals. Even at 52, I still have a high metabolic rate. Twenty years ago, I ate non-stop, as a meat eater, and started gaining a lot of weight. Now, I eat non-stop, as a vegetarian, and I'm 25 lbs. lighter. More fiber fills you up without the calories.
#13 Old 07-10-2006, 10:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Get yourself some heavy (and I mean "this-could-kill-someone-if-thown-at-them" heavy) whole wheat bread. Load it up with all your favorite sandwitch toppings, dip it into soups, eat it with butter or margarine as a side dish, exc. I'm hypoglycemic so I'm always hungry anyway, and that keeps me full. If you've got a Panera bakery near you, their 9-grain whole wheat is AMAZING.
#14 Old 07-10-2006, 10:42 PM

Another thing to remember, if you eat six small meals in a day that equal the same amount of calories your better off, its better for you, and its better when you don't feel like you want to wallow in your own fullness. So not feeling full isn't automatically a bad thing. Keep yourself as busy as possible too, that always keeps my mind from food and then I don't get hungry
#15 Old 07-12-2006, 07:38 PM
Beginner

Try eat more whole grains or things with more fiber. The tend to keep you more satisfied. For example, I eat Kashi 7 grain ceral w/ soymilk for breakfast to last me through untill lunch......

I wouldn't suggest, though, to eat untill you're stuffed. Personally, I eat eat enough until I'm satisfied, not until I feel as if I can't have another bite. If you are actually physically starving, then you may not be eating enough of the things you do eat.
#16 Old 07-13-2006, 07:41 AM
Veggie Regular

i would suggest that you eat more complex carbs and non-processed protein sources. My day is less processed and more macrobiotic, non-processed vegan foods. I'm a distance runner and this is what i ate yesterday for satiety:

B: ginger-raisin bran muffin, bowl of cereal with silk (about 1.5 cups of tiger power cereal with 1 cup silk light plain)

S: ginger-raisin muffin

L: homemade pad thai (mixed veggies and veggie dumplings sauteed in coconut oil with spices) with seitan; raw cucumber, ww bread toasted with a shmear of jam

S: handfull of baby carrots with hummus

D: vegan fajitas made with boca crumbles, seitan, onions, and homemade taco seasoning on ww tortillas with hummus, homemade tomato sauce, salsa, cucumber

S: ww toast with peach preserves

I try to balance my protein, fats and carbs and try to get a bit in at each meal. I also work on paying attention to my omega fatty acid intake by working to incorporate ground flax seed into my diet at some point each day..

I also try not to think too much about what i'm eating, as long as it's healthy. since i average 7-9 miles in a run each day, i eat more carbs than a lot of people think is healthy, but they're complex, whole grains.
#17 Old 07-13-2006, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Beans, beans, the magical fruit.

Chock-full of protein and protein is good

Protein is good to keep that "full" feel

Eat up some beans with every meal.

#18 Old 07-18-2006, 08:25 AM

I am at the feeling hungry all the time stage - I am hoping that as I gather more OK foods it will go away - I hope

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page