Quarter Pounder with Cheese (had a craving for it) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-06-2006, 07:38 AM

I actually craved one of these the other night. I didn't eat that crap when I DID eat meat. Why on earth do I want it now? Could I be missing something in my diet? I know I am getting enough protein but maybe not enough fat???

Or maybe it was that I was tired and McD's was easy. We actually ended up with TacoBell. Which isn't much better.

Any ideas? Or is this common for new veggies???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-06-2006, 08:16 AM
Veggie Regular

If you crave burgers or anything of that sort, how about buying and making a veggieburger. You can put vegetables on it and (whether or not you're vegan or vegetarian) cheese. It is so much healthier than the McDonalds fast food crap. And at the same time you would possibly eliminate the craving and enjoy something truly delicious!

And from what I've heard, this problem is common in newbies. I myself have never craved any meat since I went veg, but some people may still have a tough time cutting meat out of their diet.
#3 Old 07-06-2006, 08:53 AM

I don't buy it that when you crave something your body is "missing" a nutrient.

I crave Oreos. no nutrients there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-06-2006, 09:22 AM
Beginner

Sometimes I crave McDonald's fries. I haven't had them in years, but sometimes I think about them.

I don't think I'm missing nutrients or anything when I have these cravings. I think perhaps there are some happy family memories I'm trying to recreate. For me, food can be terribly emotional. Certain foods evoke happy dinners with my families. My parents took us to McD's as a treat when we were little (terrific report card, winning /losing the big game, etc).

Kind of funny when I think of it. "Great job, honey! Let's go clot your arteries and fill you up with yummy chemicals processed foodstuffs!"

When I'm missing my family, I want happy family foods (mac n cheese, McDs, etc). To get past the craving, I just call them or write an email or something.
#5 Old 07-06-2006, 09:23 AM
Beginner

Sometimes I crave McDonald's fries. I haven't had them in years, but sometimes I think about them.

I don't think I'm missing nutrients or anything when I have these cravings. I think perhaps there are some happy family memories I'm trying to recreate. For me, food can be terribly emotional. Certain foods evoke happy dinners with my families. My parents took us to McD's as a treat when we were little (terrific report card, winning /losing the big game, etc).

Kind of funny when I think of it. "Great job, honey! Let's go clot your arteries and fill you up with yummy chemicals and processed foodstuffs!"

When I'm missing my family, I want happy family foods (mac n cheese, McDs, etc). To get past the craving, I just call them or write an email or something.
#6 Old 07-06-2006, 09:28 AM
Veggie Regular

The right veggie burger will make that craving go away. Preferably with a big side of fries and a Coke!
#7 Old 07-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Make sure your iron isn't getting too low. Iron will often trigger a meat-crave (how's your eating been lately?).

Being tired probably didn't help a lot either. It's super easy to grab whatever's handy when one is tired and hungry (Taco Bell, though, has much better veg*n options than McD does).
#8 Old 07-06-2006, 12:05 PM

To answer your question, I think cravings are common for new veggies. It's interesting that you said you never ate them before, but that you are craving them now! I don't think I've experienced that before.

And I'm with Tess - find a replacement for that craving! A nice veggie burger loaded with the fixings should help that craving right away!
#9 Old 07-06-2006, 12:08 PM

I eat meatless Big Macs, maybe you need a meatless Quarter Pounder. Or you could get a meatless Quarter Pounder and put a soy burger in it, not the healthiest thing. McDonald's does have an Asian salad, it's great without the chicken! It doesn't come with chicken on it, they add the chicken to it, so if you order it without chicken it never touches the salad.
#10 Old 07-06-2006, 01:22 PM

A veggie burger is an awesome idea. Maybe that was why I was craving that particular thing. Problem is, I can't eat soy and I have yet to find a veggie burger with no soy. Anyone know of any.?

I am going to take a look at my food over the next couple of days and make sure I am getting enough iron.

I think it may have been fat that I was missing. I don't use alot of oil or other fatty items so when I cut out the meat I cut out a huge chunk of the fat I ate.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and ideas.
#11 Old 07-06-2006, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I find that when I have quarterpounder (or similar) cravings, it is because I am not taking care of myself. I am either over tired, over stressed or just not taking care to eat a well balanced diet. If I cook myself a decent meal with plenty of veggies and a good source of healthy protein, it generally does the trick....but that could just be me.

Amy's California Veggie Burger does not contain soy and it is vegan if that is important to you. Here are the ingredients: (VEGAN) ORGANIC MUSHROOMS, ORGANIC ONIONS, ORGANIC BULGAR WHEAT, ORGANIC CELERY, ORGANIC CARROTS, ORGANIC OATS, ORGANIC WALNUTS, WHEAT GLUTEN, ORGANIC POTATOES, SEA SALT, EXPELLER PRESSED HIGH OLEIC SAFFLOWER OIL, ORGANIC GARLIC. CONTAINS WHEAT & WALNUTS

It is by far my favorite veggie burger. I love to have it on a toasted whole wheat kaiser roll with carmelized onions and organic ketchup.
#12 Old 07-06-2006, 09:05 PM

The quarter pounder cravings are a b****. The first time I tried to go lacto-vegetarian. I did this for health reasons that made it seem like a diet and I am king of the diet breakers. I broke it with a big steak. However, this time I'm vegan, and I'm doing it for ethical concerns. Every time I even see a burger I want to give the poor thing a hug and say I'm sorry to it on behalf of the human species.
#13 Old 07-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Amy's Texas Burger is also good. I'm not sure if it has soy, but Courgette says the California style is soy-free, so the Texas might be as well. I think some of the Gardenburger varieties are probably soy-free, but they're not going to be as "burger"-like.

If you're lacto-ovo and you get a craving for a fast-food type chicken sammie, try making one with a Quorn patty. Yummy!
#14 Old 07-06-2006, 11:11 PM
Beginner

i'm not supposed to have soy either (hypothyriodism) but when i get a craving i head to burger king and get a veggie burger (contains soy and not vegan), tell them make it like a whopper. i have found alot of recipes for bean burgers but i haven't tried them out yet. I really recommend falafel its really good.
#15 Old 07-07-2006, 07:04 AM
Beginner

I find cravings for non-vegetarian things stems from one thing: you can't (or rather won't) eat it anymore. It's a temptation because of that and many of us have been there. Trust me, there are times I'd kill for ribs, but instead, I went to my dad's plate, took a little sliver (enough for the flavor) and popped it into my mouth. It didn't taste nearly as good as I remembered, the craving was appeased, but in the end, I spit it out. If I have a craving so overpowering, I usually follow the same procedure. Nick a bit of someone elses, and taste it. Nine chances out of ten, it's not nearly as good as you remember. Remember your convictions when you taste it, as well.
#16 Old 07-07-2006, 08:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

I think some of the Gardenburger varieties are probably soy-free, but they're not going to be as "burger"-like.

I agree that they aren't as "burger"-like. The Gardenburgers to look for are the Garden Vegan and the Sun Dried Tomato Basil (has dairy) varieties. The Sun Dried Tomato one makes a great pizza sub if you slice it into strips and add some pizza sauce and veggies.

Gardenburger Sun Dried Tomato Basil Patty:

Cooked Brown Rice, Bell Peppers (Red, Green), Onions, Mozzarella Cheese ([Pasteurized Milk, Cultures, Salt, Enzymes], Nonfat Milk, Corn Starch, Natural Flavors), Tomato Paste, Rolled Oats, Water, Wheat Fiber, Wheat Gluten, High Oleic Canola Oil, Tomato Powder, Salt, Vegetable Gum, Dried Garlic, Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Spices, Garlic, Basil, Butter. Contains: Milk and Wheat.

Gardenburger Garden Vegan:

Bulgur Wheat-Hydrated, Water, Textured Wheat Gluten, Cooked Brown Rice, Onions, Mushrooms. Contains less than 2% of the following: Wheat Gluten, Vegetable Gum, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Dried Garlic, Salt, Natural Flavors, Spices, Annatto (Vegetable Color), Olive Oil. Contains: wheat.
#17 Old 07-07-2006, 10:28 AM

Oh, I get the cravings.

I never ate burgers when I ate meat. It was so rare for me to ever order a burger anytime I went out to eat.

Now, I see the ads on tv or the billboards and I salivate. I really don't get it, either. Of course, I'm not going to throw everything to the side and have at the burger, but I do find it odd that I have the temptation.
#18 Old 07-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

When i saw that thread title, i got a serious craving for it. Man, I haven't had those in years...and I never craved it 'til now. I think thats cause I'm stressed right now tho, plus I would never just cave and go get one, of course. I'd rather create a veg*n version if its that serious, since I'm probably just craving the sauce or salt or something. ewww...now I feel sick. See, I knew it wasn't a real craving. blech.

My advice. Wait it out for 30 min. or so, and see if it's a real craving or a passing urge (due to emotions/stress/etc.).
#19 Old 07-08-2006, 09:06 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Amy's Texas Burger is also good. I'm not sure if it has soy,

Amy's Texas Burgers are vegan and do have textured soy protein.
#20 Old 07-08-2006, 09:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I craved eggs when I first went vegan.

So I went to Whole Foods and got Tofu Scramble. I haven't craved eggs since.

Finding a good food to replace what you feel like you're missing really helps a lot.
#21 Old 07-08-2006, 09:39 AM
Veggie Regular

There's a recipe in Vegan Planet for veggie burgers that could be soy free if you omitted 2 tbs of tamari from the recipe (you'd probably have to replace it with veggie broth or something else salty)... I've made them many times and find them to be quite "meaty." Their base is lentils, gluten flour and walnuts. I'd be happy to share it if you need and are interested.
#22 Old 07-08-2006, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

There's a recipe in Vegan Planet for veggie burgers that could be soy free if you omitted 2 tbs of tamari from the recipe (you'd probably have to replace it with veggie broth or something else salty)... I've made them many times and find them to be quite "meaty." Their base is lentils, gluten flour and walnuts. I'd be happy to share it if you need and are interested.

That sounds really good!
#23 Old 07-08-2006, 11:12 AM
Veggie Regular

i second (third? fourth?) the recommendation for amy's california burgers. they're delicious. i like mine with some spicy mustard, sliced avocado, lettuce and tomato on a whole wheat bun.

also, sunshine burgers are soy-free and vegan. they're not at all meaty, but very hearty and filling. taste great, too.
#24 Old 07-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

I crave Oreos. no nutrients there!

Um, you are going to sit there and tell me that chocolate is not a nutrient??

Then I have wasted half my life...

PS. Sometimes, when you're body needs something you do crave it. It can manifest as "Pica" in which people have overwhelming urges to eat strange things like dirt or metal. I have a friend who had it and it turns out she was pretty anemic and that's why she wanted to eat what she did. When the anemia was treated, she no longer had those urges.

Not to say that's the only reason Pica exists, but, I'm just sayin'.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page