A little confused.. [about the difference between vegetarian and vegan] - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-26-2006, 06:24 AM

I'm sorry for sounding like a complete idiot, but I figured this would be the best place to ask.

I have a question.. because all my life I've thought vegetarianism is something that now I think it is not.

Is vegetarianism when you do not consume any animal products (including eggs, dairy, ect.).. and veganism is when you do not consume, wear, support the killing of, ect. animal products?

Please let me know.. I want to make sure I'm looking at this the right way!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-26-2006, 06:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegetarianism is not eating animals (including fish lol)

A person who doesn't eat any animal products but still wears wool or leather would be a "strict" vegetarian, as I understand it.

Vegans strive to not use any animal products ever and live their life in a way that doesn't cause suffering to animals. This includes what you wear, cleaners, personal hygiene, clothing and food.

Basically, vegetarianism is a dietary choice and veganism is a lifestyle choice.

Frankly, I don't consume animal products, don't wear animal products and I do my personal best to make sure what I buy doesn't test on animals but I really just call myself a vegetarian.

Mary
#3 Old 06-26-2006, 06:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Some people view 'pure' or 'true' or 'strict' vegetarianism as eating no animal products (although some say 'strict' means avoiding leather etc.) and veganism as neither eating or using any animal products where they could possible be avoided (with exceptions made for medications, walking on roads and living in houses that aren't 'vegan' etc.).

Most people here define 'vegetarianism' as eating all animal products but flesh (although there are exceptions to that here too!) and 'veganism' as avoiding the use of all animal products.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-26-2006, 07:01 AM

A vegetarian is someone who doesn't eat meat.

A vegan is someone who eats/lives as animal free as possible.
#5 Old 06-26-2006, 07:06 AM

Okay, thanks!

I'm still a little lost on where I'd stand haha, but I think I'm getting the gist of it (=
#6 Old 06-26-2006, 09:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegetarians don't eat animal flesh of any kind. No beef, no pork, no chicken, no fish, no other seafood. No rabbits. No birds. No wild game. But they may eat dairy and eggs, and they may use animal products like wool and silk. Whether vegetarians wear leather is controversial. Some people say that vegetarianism is solely about what you EAT, therefore you can wear leather and still be a vegetarian. Others say that leather is as vegetarian as a steak-- either way, you have to kill a cow to get it.

Vegans take their moral commitment a step further and don't use any animal products of any kind. All of the above, PLUS, no dairy, no eggs, no wool, no silk, definitely no leather, etc. It's a lifestyle choice as well as a dietary choice. There appears to be some controversy about the vegan-ness of honey, but I don't have a dog in that fight, so I have no comment, except to point out that insects are animals.

You have to understand, too, that "vegetarian" and "vegan" mean something very different to many people outside the vegetarian/vegan community, because they don't understand it either. A lot of people think vegetarians eat fish, and some of them even think vegetarians eat chicken. And many, many people think "vegan" just means a vegetarian who doesn't eat dairy or eggs. True, that is the most high-profile aspect of being vegan, but there is much more to it than that.

One of the terms I've heard used to describe a vegetarian who doesn't eat dairy or eggs, but is not completely vegan, is "strict vegetarian."
#7 Old 06-26-2006, 09:53 AM

Okay, before 50 bajillion people post...

It's been answered already.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine when 50 people jump on to answer the same questions when it's already been done.
#8 Old 06-26-2006, 09:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, but none of those other answers are good enough!

AND, she still seemed a little confused.
#9 Old 06-26-2006, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

AND, she still seemed a little confused.

That's why I waited til you answered.
#10 Old 06-26-2006, 10:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

My answer was very to the point, thank you very much! (And Mary and I posted at the same time).

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#11 Old 06-26-2006, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

Okay, before 50 bajillion people post...

It's been answered already.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine when 50 people jump on to answer the same questions when it's already been done.

It's not 50 people yet!

'Vegetarian' may mean either someone who eats no animal products or someone who's a lacto-ovo-vegetarian or some other prefix veggie. ('Vegetarian' may also be a general term for all kinds of people, incl. vegans, who don't eat meat. And this makes the term 'veg*n' preferable to this usage because it's not ambiguous.)

'Vegan' tries to avoid all animal products.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#12 Old 06-26-2006, 10:17 AM

^

Okay, I'll make an exception this time.
#13 Old 06-26-2006, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

You basically taste someone.

If they taste nasty = omni

If they taste better = vegetarian

and if they taste best = vegan

and if they taste like rainbows and smiley faces = fruitarian
#14 Old 06-26-2006, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

You forgot 'unicorns'

#15 Old 06-26-2006, 02:26 PM

Quote:

You basically taste someone.

If they taste nasty = omni

If they taste better = vegetarian

and if they taste best = vegan

What do the raw foodists taste like?
#16 Old 06-26-2006, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

What do the raw foodists taste like?

im guessing raw foodists are more smiley face then rainbow, and fruitarians are more rainbow then smiley face....

raw fruitarians that live in self sufficient communes 'off the grid' probably taste like happiness incarnate...

...and their flatus smell like strawberry pie
#17 Old 06-26-2006, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

raw fruitarians that live in self sufficient communes 'off the grid' probably taste like happiness incarnate...

...and their flatus smell like strawberry pie

Strawberry macademia creme pie

#18 Old 06-26-2006, 06:59 PM

Okay, so I don't eat animal products of any kind and I'm somewhat conscious about what I use and whether or not it comes from an animal.

Maybe I'll completely be aware, so I can still call myself a vegan?
#19 Old 06-26-2006, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaileikehe View Post

Okay, so I don't eat animal products of any kind and I'm somewhat conscious about what I use and whether or not it comes from an animal.

Maybe I'll completely be aware, so I can still call myself a vegan?

I'd call you vegan.
#20 Old 06-28-2006, 07:16 AM
Veggie Regular

While many disagree, dictionaries define vegan as someone who simply does not eat any animal products. This would allow for "health vegans" who may or may not use other animal products.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page