Have you ever had a cheese hangover? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-19-2006, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I have! I accidentally ate cheese due to a poorly written menu description. It had been three weeks since I had any dairy and apparently in that time I've developed a little lactose intolerance. I went ahead and ate it anyway since I wasn't planning on giving up cheese forever (just avoiding it since it's not really good for you and to cut back on calories.) It tasted AWESOME but I was totally full after about 3 bites. Then I felt sick all night and into the morning. I guess now I'm gonna think twice before indulging in dairy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-19-2006, 01:02 PM

orrrrrr...you may have discovered a lovely hidden allergy! back when i was omni, i knew i was sensitive to dairy & wheat....not so allergic i couldn't eat it, but i'd feel kinda icky (clinical term, that) if i did. sometimes when you eat something a lot, you get used to the subtle symptoms it causes, but when you try it again you feel crappy (can i say 'crappy'?)

now that i don't eat dairy at all, i find i can eat all the bread i want.

yummmmmm, bread.
#3 Old 06-19-2006, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm continually amazed at how fast my body has adapted to not eating meat and dairy. The few times that I've slipped and had dairy or fish, I've really felt lousy afterward in comparison to how awesome and healthy I feel after a good veggie meal. It really confirms my belief that those foods weren't really good for me in the first place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-19-2006, 01:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh God yes. I think I'm having one right now.

Like you, I don't avoid cheese like the plague, but I'm cutting down because it's not healthy. I tend to use cheese more like a condiment, just a sprinkle here or there once a month or so. I do NOT eat meals that are based around cheese. Ugh.

So last night I was painfully hungry, and my mother-in-law offers me some "cheesy bread" from the pizza place that she has gotten. It's basically white bread with a 3/4 inch layer of melted mozzarella on top. Whatever, even a healthy eater can indulge, it's not gonna kill me, right? So I eat 4 or 5 pieces of cheesy bread.

Almost immediately after, it feels like there's a hard knot in the top of my stomach. I feel queasy and riding in the car is not fun. Later, my head starts to hurt. My throat gets really phlegmy and I have to clear it all the time. Blegh!

Now it's 12 hours later, and my stomach has stopped feeling weird but my sinuses are aching and my nose is runny. My throat's still slimy too. Yuck. And I realize that when I was omni, this was how I felt all the time. I just thought it was normal. I really don't think I'm meant to eat something that makes me feel like this.
#5 Old 06-19-2006, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Mmmmmmmmm cheesy bread
#6 Old 06-20-2006, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Argh, yea, if I don't have any dairy for just a few days by stomach doesn't want it anymore! I had 1/2 of a milkshake yesterday and I'm still waiting for my stomach to stop hating me so I can eat something!
#7 Old 06-20-2006, 11:44 AM
Veggie Regular

My cheese hangovers come in the form of a migraine the next day. If you're sensitive to cheese that way, aged cheeses are the worst. They're on every list of migraine triggers you'll ever see. It could potentially be true for other kinds of cheese sensitivities as well.
#8 Old 06-20-2006, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular

no, i eat vegan cheese, so it doesnt casue any problems.

you dont develop a lactose intolerance - its always there. sometimes your body can adapt to the garbage you put in it and if you stop putting the garbage in, its worse the next time you eat the ****.
#9 Old 06-20-2006, 01:55 PM
Banned

I stopped eating dairy as of Jan 1 of this year. I went raw in early May. I was raw for 32 days then went out of town and screwed up something fierce. Not only did I revert to cooked vegetarian, but I had gobs of dairy. Pizza with cheese, fettucine alfredo, milk chocolate...over the span of 5 days. I hadn't had dairy in 6 months. I felt heavier than normal, but the only reaction I got was a million and 12 zits. I broke out so badly from it.

I came back home and went back to raw.
#10 Old 06-21-2006, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

the last time i had cheese was at Baja Fresh. And i was planning this as my last dairy ever, so i over-indulged. I had cheese quesadillas, and i only finished half the order. I felt soo bad. Even after eating it. So, after that i got to walk about a mile, take a train for 1 stop and ride a bike a mile home. When i got home i drank 4 bottles of bottled water, and literally died. The next morning...was horrible.
#11 Old 06-21-2006, 03:59 PM

you literally died? give your loved ones my condolences...

#12 Old 06-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure if your body could become intolerant in only three weeks, but maybe I'm wrong. I was tricked into eating a dark milk chocolate bar after 8 months without dairy and I only had a mild stomachache.
#13 Old 06-23-2006, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

My cheese hangovers come in the form of a migraine the next day.

The next day? You lucky beast. Mine usually come immediately (which is soooo handy in knowing who's lied to me about their ingredients ).

I once ate this enchilada with "veggie sauce" that turned out to have some sort of milk/cheese in it. I could tell because my head immediately felt like I had been for 6 hours straight and I was flared up for 2-3 days afterwards.

Out of all the slip-ups, milk/cheese is the worst because of what it does to me.
#14 Old 06-23-2006, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

The next day? You lucky beast. Mine usually come immediately (which is soooo handy in knowing who's lied to me about their ingredients ).

I don't really consider it all that lucky, because that delay made it really hard to figure out that cheese was one of my triggers. I suffered with migraines for over a decade before finally becoming nearly vegan, and when the headaches suddenly went away, I finally put two and two together.
#15 Old 06-23-2006, 08:18 PM

Since I went vegan, I can't really say I've had "hangovers," but I can tell when there's milk, cream, cheese, ect., in foods that I eat.

One day I got a drink at Starbuck's, asked for soy milk, and they gave me real milk. How did I know?

It tasted like there was cheese in my drink. It was pretty gross.
#16 Old 06-24-2006, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I was vegan for two years (and am again, yay) but ended up taking most of this year off. I discovered the hard way that my two years of veganism had uncovered a pretty serious lactose intolerance... Whenever I eat a significant amount of dairy, I spend the rest of the day/all night/part of the following day in the bathroom with horrible cramps and other digestive unpleasantnesses. Not pretty. Depending on the type of dairy, I also get some pretty killer headaches and lots of phlegm. Down with dairy!
#17 Old 06-24-2006, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaileikehe View Post

One day I got a drink at Starbuck's, asked for soy milk, and they gave me real milk. How did I know? It tasted like there was cheese in my drink. It was pretty gross.

Yeah, I wouldn't say "cheese," but after a year of drinking mostly soymilk, whenever I break down and get a Frappucino, it has this weird sour taste. Ugh. After the last time, I resolved there will be no more breakdowns. It's plant milk or nothing.
#18 Old 06-24-2006, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

After the last time, I resolved there will be no more breakdowns. It's plant milk or nothing.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#19 Old 06-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

After the last time, I resolved there will be no more breakdowns. It's plant milk or nothing.

Amen to that!
#20 Old 06-24-2006, 06:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketivnilloc View Post

When i got home i drank 4 bottles of bottled water, and literally died. The next morning...was horrible.

I bet it was, considering you were dead!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page