Can I be vegan? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-13-2006, 06:20 PM

I am new to vegetarianism. I have only been a veggie for about three months. I was planning to go vegan at first and gentley merge into it. I told my auntie this and she warned me that I should be careful to make sure I am getting all the things my body needs and that I should take things easy at first because humans are naturally carnivores and my body has grown all my life eating meat. She is not vegan or a veggie. So the upshot is that I decided to go vegetarian for a year and then change to vegan.

What are folks here views on this? Does it matter? Is it important? Does one have to go veggie first before vegan?

warm wishes,

EV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-13-2006, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagerVegan View Post

What are folks here views on this? Does it matter? Is it important? Does one have to go veggie first before vegan?

No, I know people who went straight from omnis to vegans! Base your opinion on nutritional facts and personal preference and keep up the good work

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 06-13-2006, 06:29 PM

Quote:

I am new to vegetarianism. I have only been a veggie for about three months. I was planning to go vegan at first and gentley merge into it. I told my auntie this and she warned me that I should be careful to make sure I am getting all the things my body needs and that I should take things easy at first because humans are naturally carnivores and my body has grown all my life eating meat. She is not vegan or a veggie. So the upshot is that I decided to go vegetarian for a year and then change to vegan.

warm wishes,

EV

your auntie is mistaken. humans are not naturally carnivores. humans are like bears - omnivores. we do not require meat, dairy or eggs to survive.

cats are carnivores. but mine likes hummus and soy yogurt, so go figure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-13-2006, 06:34 PM

#5 Old 06-13-2006, 06:36 PM

Thankyou both for the wonderfully helpful replies.

I am now going to rethink my choice.

One thing that I am concerend about is how to know ion a simple way how to get the nutrients and vitamins I need, what kind of things to eat each day in a diet and how much. I want to be vegan in a natural way and do not want to take supplements because of this. Any good advice?

EV
#6 Old 06-13-2006, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Humans are naturally omnivores, not carnivores, and can live quite well off a well-varied all-plant (and fungus) diet. It is true that you should research nutrition, and eat a large variety of foods. In particular, I recommend eating beans, whole grain products, and plenty of veggies. You don't have to do this in plain form. Asian cuisines tend to be very good, and you can also find a lot of good recipes on this forum. As for whether you're ready to go vegan or not, only you really know that. I would suggest you read, read, read up on it, get some supplements for B12 and vitamin D (if necessary. Don't overdose on vitamin D! If you get lots of sun, you might not need to supplement.), and don't be surprised if you get a bit of gas/stomach upset if you're increasing your intake of fiber from what you're previously used to. Feel free to ask questions and congratulations on being veggie!

Froggy

Quote:

warm wishes,

EV

#7 Old 06-13-2006, 06:40 PM

Quote:

One thing that I am concerend about is how to know ion a simple way how to get the nutrients and vitamins I need, what kind of things to eat each day in a diet and how much. I want to be vegan in a natural way and do not want to take supplements because of this. Any good advice?

EV

did you look at the link i provided? everything you need to know is there. and all vegans (and omni's, for that matter) need to supplement with B12.
#8 Old 06-13-2006, 06:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I want to be vegan in a natural way and do not want to take supplements because of this. Any good advice?

EV

You *must* take B-12. You probably already eat foods that are enriched or fortified (cereal, Cliff bars etc.) and so if you don't want to take a pill, just eat some already enriched foods.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#9 Old 06-13-2006, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

The simplest way is to eat a varied diet, avoiding processed foods where possible and including a lot of good whole foods like beans, brown rice, whole wheat bread bread, etc. Though a lot of vegan foods like soy milk are fortified with B-12, I would recommend supplementing it. (A lack of B-12 causes permanent damage to the central nervous system. Your body quite likely has up to a couple of years supply stored in your liver, though.)

Quote:

EV

#10 Old 06-13-2006, 06:45 PM

Go for it! If you don't want to wait, go vegan now.

Sorry, your aunty is wrong - humans don't need to be carnivores. Healthy vegan food is the best thing you can give your body!

You will need to take a b12 supplement though - although you don't want to take supplements, it's really important that you do. Your body can't make its own - if you don't get enough, all sorts of nasty things can happen... you can lose concentration, memory, and it can affect your nervous system. Your body stores for a while, so you wont need one straight away, but you will need one if you're planning on making veganism a long term thing. You can get it in fortified soymilks and cereals, or take it in tablet form. It's produced in a lab, it's not from animal sources.

Other than b12, you can get everything you need from plant foods.

Another thing to watch out for is iron - there are 2 types - heme (from animal foods) and non-heme (from plant foods). Non-heme iron is harder for our bodies to absorb, so try and get lots of it and combine it with vitamin C to maximise absorption.

fitday.com is a good site if you want to check if you're getting your RDIs.

Good luck!
#11 Old 06-13-2006, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

did you look at the link i provided? everything you need to know is there. and all vegans (and omni's, for that matter) need to supplement with B12.

Thanks Purpelle, yes I looked at the link, I saw your post just after I posted about the supplements. Thanks for the help, there is alot there to read up on so I will do it over some time.

EV
#12 Old 06-13-2006, 06:54 PM

Thankyou all for taking the time to type the caring advice It is proving so helpful. I will research about the b12 vitamin and then see what the best thing to do is.

EV
#13 Old 06-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I became vegetarian in January of this year. I was adamant, however, that I would not be going vegan....that just seemed too hard. But, after spending time on this board veganism became more and more appealing to me.

On June 4 I woke up and decided to try to eat vegan for just one day...it was not difficult at all, so I decided to try it the next day. I simply continued that way. Now I consider myself a practicing vegan.

I didn't find it as difficult as I thought I would. I was sure I couldn't give up the half and half in my morning coffee. I didn't like the soy creamer, so I just started drinking it black...it hasn't been that difficult. Same thing with cheese. I had already started drinking soy milk instead of dairy. I have missed eggs, but it is not so bad I can't handle it. Surprisingly, cheese hasn't been as hard as I thought either.

I actually found it much harder to go vegetarian. It took about six weeks to get my new eating habits really into my head. I had to remind myself daily that I was vegetarian and no longer ate meat. I also really missed meat, and the smell was so enticing to me. Now, it doesn't bother me at all.

First of all, give yourself credit for what you are already doing. Then figure out what works best for you and what satisfies your conscience. Don't feel guilty or inadequate if you don't make an immediate transition.

Good luck! And good job in what you are already doing.
#14 Old 06-13-2006, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

You have to learn the handshake first.
#15 Old 06-13-2006, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular

It is definitely possible to go from veg*n to vegan with little to no transition -- I went from omni to vegan overnight and stuck with it for two years! Just make sure to read up first and you should be fine.

Good luck!
#16 Old 06-13-2006, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

You have to learn the handshake first.

and the password.
#17 Old 06-14-2006, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaraluna View Post

It is definitely possible to go from veg*n to vegan with little to no transition -- I went from omni to vegan overnight and stuck with it for two years! Just make sure to read up first and you should be fine.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, I felt alot of support in it, good advice and inspiration.

EV
#18 Old 06-14-2006, 04:10 AM

I phased out dairy and eggs over about a 3 month period then that was it - easy enough.
#19 Old 06-14-2006, 03:05 PM
Veggie Regular

The book "Becoming Vegan" is also a good choice for nutritional information, if you'd rather have something to carry around with you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page