cooking chicken= yuck! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-11-2006, 08:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I have not been a vegetarian for long, but have done some reading this week to increase my resolve to stick with it. Tonight, my son wanted teriaki chicken. It used to be one of my favorites, but tonight I kept thinking of the poor chicken that had to live such a horrible life only to end up in that frying pan. I even got a bit nauseaus. I told my son that the next time he wants to eat chicken, he will have to cook it himself. (By the way, he is 18 years old. I didn't want you to think I had a little one and was making him cook.) Anyways, I just thought I would share how much my thinking has changed in only a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-11-2006, 08:43 PM
Veggie Regular

That's really beautiful that in so short a time you have become so conscious and sensitive

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 06-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow! It took a lot longer for it to sink in with me! Congrats on making the connection - and the switch to a veg diet!

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-11-2006, 09:05 PM
Veggie Regular

When I first became a vegetarian I didn't mind cooking meat and still made my husband's favorite dishes for him. After all I'm a health vegetarian and not an ethical vegetarian. However, over time it got to the point where now I don't even like to be around it and I can't even imagine cooking it. I hosted a vegan Thanksgiving dinner at my house for my family last year and surprisingly...it was a big hit! And my husband doesn't mind at all that the food at home is tastier and healthier than it was when I was obliged to cook meat.
#5 Old 06-11-2006, 09:40 PM

No kidding. When I first went veg, I craved meat for about the first month, then the cravings subsided. Next, I noticed a revulsion toward meat that I hadn't had before. Walking through the meat department at a supermarket was appalling. Some time later, I noticed I could smell death on people's breath. If there had been slim chance that I would ever go back to eating meat, that killed it.

People have no idea how gross meat is!
#6 Old 06-12-2006, 07:57 AM
Veggie Regular

For more than a year after I became a vegetarian I worked in a restaurant and had to peel and devein shrimp and lobster tails. I don't want to work in a restaurant again.
#7 Old 06-12-2006, 08:38 AM
Veggie Regular

i work at o'briens (irish sandwich bar). everyday we have to do food prep... so i have to cut up lettuce as well as mix chicken mayo & tuna mayo. its absolutely disgusting. i am the only person who works there who doesnt eat meat and they always make me go down and do it.

#8 Old 06-12-2006, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Yup! I feel your pain!!! I can't stand the thought of having to deal with any meat, especially chicken. Or to smell it cooking!!!

I have to say though that this time around going veg. has been considerably easier.

If my hubby wants meat, he knows he has to cook it himself. It didn't take him long to decide that what I was having was even better than what he was preparing and he didn't have to deal with being in the kitchen (great incentive! ).

Congratulations on becoming veg.!!!!

Michelle
#9 Old 06-12-2006, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

At 18 it is a good idea for your son to know how to cook for himself. I think it is a basic survival skill. My parents started me cooking (and cleaning up after) as soon as I was tall enough for the stove. By 13 I could make full meals for the family. My brothers could cook full family meals as well by the time they were in junior high.
#10 Old 06-12-2006, 01:19 PM
Veggie Regular

The last time I tried to cook chicken was for my cat who was sick. My sister suggested getting some chicken for her, since she wasn't eating her food (she was really sick and ended up passing away), but I bought a small package of chicken and cooked it, and it smelled SO bad, it almost made me wretch.

My cat didn't end up eating it anyway.
#11 Old 06-14-2006, 11:50 PM

Yeah sometimes my mom will ask me to put dinner on if she is coming home late from work , and monday night (I just starting becoming vegetarian this week)it was fried chicken at first I was like ok whatever but that same smell that use to make me hungry , made me sick, it smelled like dead chicken (NO KIDDING lol),but before it smelled like yum, now it is just like eww it smelled dead even after it was cooked it made me even sicker thinking about the poor chicken.But today I at school it was Subway sandwich day and they had ham sandwiches(I love sandwiches), and I ate one but now I wish I did not because I was good all week until today.
#12 Old 06-15-2006, 09:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Just keep doing the best you can. Maybe next time, if that is all there is to eat you can just remove the meat. I love veggie sandwiches. They are so much better without the meat, imo.
#13 Old 06-25-2006, 12:20 PM

I'm new to the vegetarian life style too, but my husband will never go vegetarian. He's a meat & potatoes man and there are very few vegetables that he will eat. I've been cooking meat meals as long as we've been married, so if I'd stopped now I think he'd revolt. LOL So I cook meals for him and something for myself, which he usually balks at. But he works 7&7 which makes life a little easier. Now I'm only having enough meat around for when he's in and he takes the leftovers to work with him.
#14 Old 06-25-2006, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsysoul View Post

I'm new to the vegetarian life style too, but my husband will never go vegetarian. He's a meat & potatoes man and there are very few vegetables that he will eat. I've been cooking meat meals as long as we've been married, so if I'd stopped now I think he'd revolt. LOL So I cook meals for him and something for myself, which he usually balks at. But he works 7&7 which makes life a little easier. Now I'm only having enough meat around for when he's in and he takes the leftovers to work with him.

What is 7&7?
#15 Old 06-25-2006, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slp2b View Post

What is 7&7?

He works 7 days straight, then he has 7 straight days off. But when he's at work, he's gone for those 7 days because of the distance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page