Help! Starting to hate my food... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-06-2006, 10:27 PM

I'm sorry for this long and improper intro post, but I need help!

About a week ago, I happened across the "Meet Your Meat" video & a PETA video about a pig farm in SC. After watching them, I sat in devestation and cried, and decided that I would never eat animals again. I also swore off dairy and eggs. I was never overly fond of meat anyway, so it's very easy to give up.

The next day I went shopping and got a bunch of "veggie foods". I ate and fell in love with the Morningstar Chik'n Patties, but then I read the label and saw the egg whites. I'm in a tiny town, and we don't have boca chicken patties. Just the burgers and veggie crumbles, so I guess no chick'n for me. I can't even find soy ice cream. But anyway, my main problem is eating at work. I get free meals everyday, and I don't have a lot of money. I only make $5.25 an hour, so I always eat while I'm at work.

I work at Taco Bell, and in my omni existence everything was pretty much bean items loaded with sour cream & usually had a little nacho cheese. Burritos, bean tacos, nachos, etc. Now, I eat a burrito minus cheese or a bowl of beans and rice, and everything is so bland and dry without toppings. I hate guacamole and the taco bell sauces make me sick. So, I find myself eating just barely enough to not feel hungry. Like tonight, I ate a soft taco shell with beans & onions on it. How do I make Taco Bell taste good again? Is there anywhere online I can get Tofutti Better than Sour Cream? I'd pay to have it overnighted to me!

I'm also a horrible cook, so after I eat a tiny meal at work, I come home and eat very little as well. I work second shift, so my second meal is usually around 3 am. I live with my boyfriend and his parents, and his mom always sleeps on the couch. And the living rooom is right next to the kitchen, so anything I cook has to be very quiet. Last night it was chili with boca veggie crumbles. The night before that, a veggie riblet sandwich and some canned corn. I know I'm not eating enough, but I'm unsure what to do. I snack constantly at home (sunflower seeds, apples or bananas, mixed nuts, tortilla chips & salsa), but meals are a real problem for me.

As an omni, I was very unheathly. I'm a pretty picky eater, and I lived on convienence foods and Taco Bell. Since starting my veggie diet, I've been ultra paranoid about trying to get vitamins and such. I drink at least 2 glasses of Chocolate Silk a day & take a multi-vitamin, but I know it's not enough. Please help! What do I do? How do you make wonderful tasty veggies meals half in the dark at 3 am, when someone is sleeping 20 feet away?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-07-2006, 12:12 AM
Veggie Regular

oooooo!!! me first, me first!!

haha...

I say buy online, or local, if available, a whoolllllleeee crud-load of quinoa. calorie-wise, it has everything you need in perfect harmony (fats, proteins, carbs, cals)...tastes yummy with some garlic and olive oil (you may be able to find pre-cooked garlic in the tiny glass jars at the store), add a lil basil, and voila! just reheating and adding the desired spices.

I find the taco bell fire sauces are a lovely concoction to make taco bell food taste much better, but that's just me :-p but I haven't had taco bell since I went vegan (no reason behind that).

premade meals, during the day, before work, probably would be your best bet. I mention quinoa because it's the perfect food, and doesn't have any hormone affect such as soy products.

it does have an acquired taste for plain quinoa, but with salsa, or garlic and olive oil, or any other variety of flavoring, it's really yummy ^_^

breakfast: earth balance margarine, if available, or any other dairy free margarine (soy margarine, etc), with brown sugar and quinoa, is yummmmmmmmm!!! it is divine!

quinoa doesn't lose taste/texture by being fridged, either, hence it's good for that.

other ideas: sloppy joes, alla https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=53334

there are other varieties of sloppy joes recipes, I added my own alteration in response at the bottom of that link. It's also able to be frozen and reheated. can be eaten with or without bread.

I eat pretty frugally...oh...if you've got a food processor or blender, making hummus would be a good idea..it also freezes well, and you'll find recipes here in veggieboards, as well...main ingredients: tahini (sesame paste..may get away with fresh/toasted sesame seeds and olive oil in place of the liquidy aspect of tahini), garbanzo beans (can be bought canned or dry), lemon juice, desired spices....this is good as a dip for veggies or pitas/fresh bread.

The grocers with bakeries should have fresh made bread, so long as it's not asiago or foccaccia, it shouldn't have any dairy...check the labels, but most are vegan friendly. While these breads aren't great for sandwiches, usually, they are great for the hummus ^_^

I'll look online for a site that has food online that can be overnighted, so you don't starve, as well!!!! oh and for cereal...I've found a perfect cereal (even contains B12, and is found in most stores nowadays): Nature's Path Optimum Power organic cereal...it is a big box so it may/may not be hovering around the boxed oatmeal/more healthy/granola cereals. Some granola cereals may be vegan (check for honey, if honey is an issue).

hope this helps!! I'll search some sites as well ^_^

ETA: welcome to VB!!!!!
#3 Old 05-07-2006, 12:16 AM
Veggie Regular

http://www.veganvillage.co.uk/shops.htm

This site seems promising...gives you a wide range of choices, it looks like...kinda a quick search, so if it's of no use, I'll help out some more ^_^

good luck!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-07-2006, 12:23 AM
Veggie Regular

you can also see what fresh produce and pantry staples you can buy and prepare ahead of time to nuke or eat cold after work

-scrambled tofu

-peanut butter and jelly

-veggie stir fry is good cold

-vegan pizza

-oatmeal (by the rolled oats in a can and then make it in the microwave ina big big bowl with soymilk and dried fruit and nuts)

-wraps with guacamole and fresh veggies on tortillas; or hummus (you can make it yourself, there are recipes in the recipe section) and veggies on tortillas

-vegan pizzas, buy frozen bread dough and use that for the crust..

-baked potatoes (bake ahead of time, pull from fridge and microwave, top with salsa or some nuked frozen veggies, salt, pepper, and olive oil)
#5 Old 05-07-2006, 12:23 AM

Thanks so much! Lots of ideas there. I have a couple of questions though... Where do you find tahini & quinoa? What section of the grocery store would it be in?

I'm doubtful I can find things like that in my area. Some of the grocery stores have tofu though. I'm going to get some of it tonight, and try to find some quick recipes.

For breakfast, I normally do brown rice with Smart Balance Light and sugar. I'd like to try out some of the organic cereals, but I'm unsure if I like regular soymilk. I can drink the chocolate easily. I'm getting ready to go to Wal-Mart (I know, evil) and I plan to get some regular & vanilla Silk.

Any US websites that sell vegan food?

Edited to add: I know it terrible, but I'm not a big veggie person. And the ones I do like, I prefer canned. Most veggie tortillas or stir fry recipes just don't work for me. I don't like broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, squash, eggplant, etc. I'm a peas and corn kinda gal... :/
#6 Old 05-07-2006, 12:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Okay, deep breath. We have all been there.

www.maryjanesfarm.com has packaged organic vegan, vegetarian, and raw foods that can be prepared with just hot water. They're made specifically for camping, work or school lunches or for very busy people (or people who suck at cooking and can't make a lot of noise when preparing their food) They have like a billion products. You could eat only Mary Jane's stuff for a month and not get tired of the choices.

My next suggestion is to learn how to microsteam vegetables. I made up that word. Throw a handful of chopped vegetables in a Ziploc or Tupperware with a spoonful of margarine and a sprinkling of sea salt and pepper. Vent the lid. Microwave for a minute or so (depending on the vegetable). Wah LAH! Steamed fresh produce. You don't even have to do any prep work- squash, baby carrots, celery, onions, spinach all are available sliced and ready to microsteam.
#7 Old 05-07-2006, 12:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Haha! You edited your post while I was typing mine. So sorry about my microsteaming vegetables suggestion.
#8 Old 05-07-2006, 12:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow hon'. I feel for you!

First of all, congrats on a great start! You'll figure out the rest of it bit by bit, and this is a GREAT website for help...

I can't address every concern you have, but here's a few ideas.

OK. There ARE places that sell Tofutti Sour "cream" online, if you're willing to pay for it.

http://www.healthy-eating.com/refrigerated.html is one resource I know right off hand...

You can also make a pretty good sour-cream substitute by taking Silken Tofu (Mori-Nu in the box) and making this:

"Tofu Sour Cream"

1 box silken tofu

1 Tblsp vinegar

1 Tblsp lemon juice

1 Tblsp sugar

Put all ingredients in food processor and blend until smooth, let sit in fridge overnight to blend flavors.

Will Taco Bell allow you to bring items in to suppliment the lunches you can get free? I know "free" is nice, especially on a lower income, but you need to remember your health too. In all truth, it sounds like you're getting a pretty good start with the Peanut butter and jam or honey or maple syrup on a tortilla is tasty, and a nice change from beans. Have you tried hummus? It's mashed garbanzo beans and seasonings, (you can buy it premade) and it's really good in a tortilla with lettuce, tomatos and onions (that they have at TB).

What time do you get up in the morning? Could you make some sandwiches or salads and have them in the fridge for later in the evening?

You could try to eat your main meal right before work so that work was like "lunch" and afterwards was a light supper... since prep in the evenings is a problem, just go with sandwiches, easy-to-make foods and already prepared salads (pasta salad, bean salad, potato salad with vegan mayonaise, mock "tuna" or "chik" salad made with tofu or garbanzos or whatever...)

OK, and about cooking, I don't think anyone is really all that horrible of a cook...it just takes time and the nerve to experiment over and over with new and scarey sounding ingredients until you find what tastes good to YOU!

Can your boyfriend make something and have it waiting in a microwave container for you?

There's TONS of recipes here... most are pretty simple to do, just take a deep breath and dive in...

Although living on convenience foods isn't the greatest (I won't lecture, you already know that it's not so healthy) try and transition slowly - eventually you'll find more whole, fresh foods you like and you can add to your list of "likes"...

You CAN be vegan in a small town with few resources, it just takes time to familiarize yourself with what's available, and what you can make yourself...

Go to a site like www.nutritiondata.com and enter the foods you eat in a day in a food log. It will show you what you need to get more of in the way of nutrients - and what you may be getting plenty of - like sodium and calories from the processed foods...

Above all, good luck!
#9 Old 05-07-2006, 12:51 AM

Two grocers that I like are:

shopnatural.com

edenfoods.com

You can undoubtedly find others by conducting a search.

I thought the quinoa was a great suggestion, but you could get sick of it if you end up eating it every day. I like to rotate buckwheat grits, corn grits, oatmeal, and quinoa on a frequent basis to keep my breakfast appetizing. I sometimes have whole wheat pasta with olive oil and a very thinly sliced green onion as garnish. That is soooo good.

You mentioned that food is "tasteless" without a ton of sour cream, etc on it. If you cut back on the toppings and salt/hot spices that you use on your food, you will find that food tastes good without that stuff. Many people have noticed that their sense of taste (and sometimes smell) becomes much more sensitive once they start eating vegan, whole foods.

Don't be afraid to try new things and to read about recipes and nutrition. Informing yourself is the best way to avoid going back to old habits. Good luck!
#10 Old 05-07-2006, 12:56 AM

Thanks so much for all the great advice! Here is my schedule, for those wondering.

1 pm: Wake up for 30 minutes to pick my boyfriends mother up from work, return home and go back to sleep

4 pm: Wake up and get ready for work

5 pm to midnight: At work

12:30 am-7 am: At home

7 am: Go to sleep

I'm thinking the best time for me to be doing food prep is around 5:30 to 6:00 am. This is when his mom and dad are both awake. At 5:30, bf's dad wakes up to take his wife to work. He returns at 6 to go back to sleep. So I guess I need some "30 minute meals" (hehe, lame food network joke, my apologies)

I may be microsteaming some spinach & greens. They're one of the few veggies I like. Is it still nutritious if I float in vinegar after steaming? *lol* I greens with vinegar!

Going to see if I can find silken tofu. I'm willing to make "sour cream" myself if I can. I have access to 3 Wal-Marts (30 minutes away in 3 diff. directions) The last one I was at only had firm tofu, so I'm going to a different one tonight.

Edited because I can't spell...
#11 Old 05-07-2006, 02:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Could you go to bed earlier and wake up earlier in the afternoon so as to have more time for a main meal?

3 min. meals for one are pretty easy - just depends on what you like...

Honestly, quinoa was an aquired taste for me - if you're not used to whole grains and unprocessed foods, it may take some time - be patient with yourself and your tastebuds...

Greens are fine with vinegar! If you like them, go for it - they're GOOD for you!

Walmart has lots of veggie options, there's some frozen vegetable blends that are vegan, seasoned and really tasty, even if you're a "canned corn" sort of vegetable eater...

Quote:
You mentioned that food is "tasteless" without a ton of sour cream, etc on it. If you cut back on the toppings and salt/hot spices that you use on your food, you will find that food tastes good without that stuff.

She said that she doesn't USE the spicy salsas from Taco Bell, and she's asking for ideas that are quick and easy - let's try answering her questions and concerns without a whole health lecture.

Quote:
I mention quinoa because it's the perfect food, and doesn't have any hormone affect such as soy products.

The hormone effects of soy are grossly exaggerated and mostly misrepresented in articles and "research" (poorly done, or funded by meat and dairy industries). Moderation is great for everything (even quinoa!), but let's not scare her off of veganism with biased mis-information.
#12 Old 05-07-2006, 02:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
She said that she doesn't USE the spicy salsas from Taco Bell, and she's asking for ideas that are quick and easy - let's try answering her questions and concerns without a whole health lecture.

I don't think that was a health lecture; I think it was about changing her tastes by not masking the taste of food with a lot of toppings.

To the OP: one idea for topping/flavoring that you might try are different salad dressings. Some people really like Annie's Green Goddess dressing (I don't). I like Drew's Roasted Garlic dressing. You could use that on rice, maybe it could flavor the burritos instead of sour cream. It would be easy to carry around, anyway. There are some "cheese" recipes made out of nutritional yeast or almonds that you might like, if you do a search.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#13 Old 05-07-2006, 02:44 AM
Veggie Regular

have you ever heard of rice?
#14 Old 05-07-2006, 04:47 AM
Veggie Regular

One of my fave "quick fix" items are the Boca spicy chicken patties if you can find them. They are at my walmart. They are good with some mustard/veganaisse, lettuce, tomato and bun. Or the morningstar crumbles you can use to make so many of your favorite "omni" foods, like chili or tacos. THough I only use those in a pinch, they helped me when I started out. Rice and beans, salads, stir-fry..... and portabello mushrooms always work instead of a side of meat (in my opinion). Also the morningstar farms chik'n strips are good also. Just brown them in a pan with spices and olive oil, or whatever you choose.
#15 Old 05-07-2006, 07:27 AM
Veggie Regular

First of all, you're going to need to become acquainted with your grocery store. There are so many things in it that I had NO IDEA existed until I became veg, and had to start searching for non-mainstream things. Most omnivores go there, get what they need, and leave. My neighbour, who has been going to the same grocery store for like 15 years, had no idea that it carried soy ice cream. Yet, it's in two different places, and there's several different kinds! Take some time and go up and down each aisle very slowly. Really look at what's there, and read labels. Who knows what you'll find. I've been doing this for a few years now and I still find something new or different every time.

Secondly, locate a health food store and do the same thing.

Thirdly, what you like and don't like now isn't necessarily going to stay the same, and you should probably work on it. This isn't a lecture, it comes from personal experience. When I first announced I was becoming a vegetarian, everyone who knew me laughed, because they all knew how much I disliked vegetables. Actually, it wasn't so much that I had tried them and not liked them, I just hadn't tried many and had mental blocks up against them.

I used to be open only to peas, carrots (raw), corn, iceberg lettuce, and potatoes. Now I've added a whole bunch of kinds of onions, broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers, kale, swiss chard, spinach, field greens, zucchinni, tomatoes, etc. I used to only eat white rice and white pasta. Now I eat all kinds of grains... brown rice, basmati rice, brown jasmine rice, quinoa, millet, cous cous, rice pasta, buckwheat, spelt, kamut, etc. etc. The vast majority of my diet now consists of things I'd never even heard of before. I hadn't heard of chick peas and most kinds of beans either. Now I eat them all the time.

You can also make your own veggie burgers. I make 8-16 at a time and then freeze them.

One thing my husband and I do is we'll make like, 3 different Indian-style side dishes and a big batch of rice, and then eat it for 3-4 days. So for a few days, all you have to do is scoop and microwave. If you have freezer space you can make more, and then freeze meal-sized containers of it.

It's pretty important to realize that this is going to be a process... I've been at it for nearly four years and I'm still learning. Maybe you should tell yourself you are going to try two new things every week, or something like that, and then stick to it. You will need to try new things to be healthy. The worst thing someone can do is cut the meat, dairy and eggs out of an already unhealthy omnivorous diet... it just reinforces for everyone how unhealthy and boring veg food is (you seem to know this though ). I guarantee you, once you get going you'll find it's not only NOT boring, but it's WAAAAY better than the crap omnivores are eating.
#16 Old 05-07-2006, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

do you like potatoes? if ya do you can make skilliet potatoes. I make them all the time..and love them! You just cut up potatoes round or long ways then, put them in a big bowl add, garlic, season all, chives, onion and red and green bell pepper toss well, mixing it up with your hands. add some vegetable oil to a skillet and just add the potatoes and cook until there soft enough to eat. Let me tell you there heavenly lol.
#17 Old 05-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd like to second meatless and all the posters who say that your tastes will change over time. If someone had told me three years ago what I'd be eating today, I'd laugh in their face with disbelief.
#18 Old 05-07-2006, 01:19 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm the ultimate lazy vegan - i just cook up a huge vat of something at the weekend and freeze it in portions. all i need to do is put some rice/pasta on and defrost it later in the week. works best with things like curry, chilli, soups, veggie burgers, stir frys, pasta sauce, hummus etc. it works out pretty cheap, and i've usually got half a dozen different meals in the freezer. saves a ton of time too
#19 Old 05-07-2006, 01:57 PM
Beginner

I usually cook up a big vat of something and then re-heat it all week. It's much easier than cooking every day. I live alone right now (bf will be back at the end of the month), and I just can't be bothered to cook very much. I've only been vegetarian for about 2 months, and it was hard for a while because I'm allergic to soy.

Do you have access to a blender? I get a lot of my vitamins from blended drinks. I blend soy milk (just a bit), fruit juice, a banana, frozen fruit (whatever was on sale at the grocery store), several big handfuls of greens (lettuce, spinach, kale, collards), and a spoonful each of ground flax seed and ground sesame seeds. It sounds strange, but it's really delicious and easy to eat! Now if I don't have a blended green drink, I feel like I'm missing something. I'll make a big batch, keep it in the fridge and then just blend it for a minute and drink a glass with each meal. If you're worried about getting enough protein, you could easily add some protein powder as well.

I also eat a lot of wraps. I second the suggestion to bring your own stuff to add to your burritos.

Good luck! You can do it!
#20 Old 05-07-2006, 02:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita View Post

have you ever heard of rice?

Um... have you even READ the OP's questions?

Quote:
Now, I eat a burrito minus cheese or a bowl of beans and rice,

(emphasis is mine).

Even though most of you have offered awesome ideas, (GREAT suggestion, Meatless, about getting aquainted with the local grocery store)... but if I was the original poster I'd be pretty disappointed by all the "advice" given by people who haven't even taken the time to read through the entire first post. Some welcoming committee we are!

She said she doesn't like guacamole - so why recommend it as a topping?

She said the TB sauces make her sick, so why say to add them to her rice and beans?

She said she doesn't feel she's a good cook, so why suggest difficult recipes right off the bat? (Cooking skills will develop with time, not to worry)

She said she's a 'picky eater', so why suggest jumping first thing, cold-turkey into complex and unfamilier foods, tastes and textures? Those tastes will probably develop gradually too.

She said she can't find the Boca Chik'n patties in her small town, so why recommend them?

It doesn't sound like there's a health food store accessible either, why suggest going there?

I get sick and tired of seeing thread after thread where people jump in with all sorts of advice and haven't really read the original post thoughtfully. /rant
#21 Old 05-07-2006, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I know how important it can be to eat at work if you're on a budget, would a taco salad w/ beans, lettuce, tomato, onion and maybe from home salsa or dressing/sour cream work for you? or you could just get the pinto beans, rice, whatever other sides you like and then take them home to add to your other meal.

Also, grilling might help a lot, I know a grilled bean and rice burrito is much taster than just a plain bean and rice burrito. (at least to me )
#22 Old 05-07-2006, 09:00 PM
Veggie Regular

yep, tofu, sorry for all my bad advice. I'll go back to my corner now.
#23 Old 05-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna4909 View Post

I ate and fell in love with the Morningstar Chik'n Patties, but then I read the label and saw the egg whites. I'm in a tiny town, and we don't have boca chicken patties. Just the burgers and veggie crumbles, so I guess no chick'n for me.

You say your grocery store has Morningstar Farms Chik'n Patties, so you might try checking for MF Meal Starters Chik'n and Steak Strips... they're good and vegan, unlike the patties! They're not exactly budget food, but they can liven up your meals once in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna4909 View Post

I'd like to try out some of the organic cereals, but I'm unsure if I like regular soymilk. I can drink the chocolate easily. I'm getting ready to go to Wal-Mart (I know, evil) and I plan to get some regular & vanilla Silk.

Using plain soymilk on cereal is probably one of the best ways to start off if you're not used to it. You probably won't notice the difference-- I know I didn't! I get Silk Unsweetened because it tastes the most like "real" milk to me. But if your grocery doesn't have it, Plain is fine, too.

I second the notion of putting on a big pot of something stewish or soupish on the weekend and freezing individual servings. Many soups and stews are pretty easy for a beginner cook to make, they don't require a lot of attention while they cook, they can be quite filling and nutritious, and you can make a variety of them to keep things interesting. I'd start with:

Hearty Chewy Chili

Lentil Stew

Black Bean Soup

Great Gazpacho (I wouldn't freeze this, just keep it in the fridge)

You can have any of these with some kind of bread (cornbread, wheat bread, tortilla chips, Italian bread) and a basic green salad for a simple but satisfying supper.

PS: If you like a good salad, you might also check out the Salad thread for some interesting and filling salad ideas.
#24 Old 05-07-2006, 11:38 PM
Veggie Regular

www.veganstore.com and www.veganessentials.com have some yummy vegan foods. If you can get your hands on some "primal strips," you will be happy happy happy.
#25 Old 05-08-2006, 01:04 AM

Thanks, there are some very usable ideas in here for me!

About the tofu sour cream, I went to the other Wal-Mart and they had several brands of tofu, but all of it was either firm or extra firm. I bought the firm in a box. Can I use that to make sour cream with?

Also in the bigger Wal-Mart, I found the Boca Chik'n patties, but they only had spicy. I'm not a fan of spicy foods, since I get heartburn on a regular basis, but I bought some to try anyway. I also found the vegan Morningstar chicken strips. They look a little spicy, but hopefully they aren't too bad. Looks like I'll be driving a little farther, but this Wal-Mart has so much more selection. Still no dairy-free ice cream though.

And belovedtree, thank you so much! That's an excellent idea! I've never even eaten a taco salad, but I know like the ingredients, and if I bring some salsa from home, I really think it'd be good!

I got a salad mix of baby spinach, romaine, some baby butter-something lettuce. But it has some other lettuce that I'm finding very non-tasty. It's purple/reddish and leafy. For now, I just pick it out. I was just going to buy seperately, but they were out of baby spinach, and it's a must in my salads. Also got some french fat free dressing that was vegan, and some Bac-O's.

And I bought some whole grain organic pasta, but had trouble finding a vegan sauce. All of them had skim milk and/or cheese. I found some pizza marinara type sauce that was vegan, but I didn't know if it would be good on pasta.

I got garbanzo beans to try hummus, but couldn't find the tahini. Does anyone know what section it might be in?

And about the soymilk, it was great on my Reese's Puffs, but when I had it plain, it was a little to rich. I prefer the chocolate, if I'm drinking milk only.

P.S. I have heard of rice. I eat it at work, and if you'll read, I also eat it for breakfast. "For breakfast, I normally do brown rice with Smart Balance Light and sugar."
#26 Old 05-08-2006, 08:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know if I've seen tahnini at Wal-Mart. At my grocery store (which has an organic section) it's near the peanut butters. I have been able to get a good number of veggie things at Wal-Mart (but more vegetarian than vegan). Usually in their produce section they will have some soy cheeses (which have casein, and aren't vegan - just to warn you!), soy deli meats (these are generally safe), tofu (both water packed - best for stir frys - and silken - best for dips and puddings etc.), etc. (And yes, the firm will work fine for your tofu sour cream. It might set up a little firmer when you chill it, but you can add a little more liquid to thin it out.) They usually have polenta there, too, which is also good for breakfast. Just slice it and fry it up like cornmeal mush. Great with maple syrup. It sounds like you've found the Boca section at your Walmart, too. Do you like the Vegan Burgers?

I would guess that the towns with bigger WalMarts might have a small health food store in them, too (if any of these towns are college towns, your chances increase even more). Or, check out the regular groceries there and see if they have any goodies you can stock up on. I find soy ice cream at my regular grocery store and at the health food store. WalMart doesn't carry them, as far as I can tell.

I like my bean burritos/tacos at Taco Bell with as many veggies as I can put on them. Even lettuce helps make them taste not so bland. Hunt's Garlic and Basil pasta sauce is vegan (or was the last time I checked) and isn't too spicy.

And here's a recipe for a dip/salad dressing. You can make it as garlicky as you want:

GARLIC DILL TOFU DRESSING

1 pack extra firm silken tofu

2 cloves garlic (more or less spending on how spicy you like it)

1 teaspoon dill

3/4 teaspoon sea salt

1/2 teaspoon lemon juice

6-10 ounces water

Blend garlic and water first (less water for a dip, more for a dressing). Add the rest of the ingredients to blender and blend until smooth. Chill.

The "Student's Vegetarian Cookbook" might be something you want to invest in - it has cheap, good, easy-to-cook recipes, and usually includes substitutions to make the vegetarian recipes vegan.
#27 Old 05-08-2006, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Pizza sauce is marinara sauce, same as other tomato sauces, and will work fine on pasta. It is just usually not chunky like some other tomato sauces.

You don't NEED tahini to make hummus. Plenty of people make it without.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#28 Old 05-08-2006, 09:31 AM
Beginner

I don't use tahini in my hummus, because I just didn't taste the difference. Some people can, but it's just as good to me without!

My hummus is VERY easy. I just put a can of chickpeas, some canola oil, some lemon juice and some garlic in the blender. Blend, taste, adjust ingredients if necessary. That's it!
#29 Old 05-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Just a little peanutbutter works instead of tahini as well.

And if the tofu is in a box (one of the aseptic carton thingys) it'll work fine for vegan sour "cream"...

The Morning star chicken "strips" aren't spicy at all, very mild in fact. They over-cook and get tough VERY easily, but they are really yummy.

I am impressed donna - you're working hard at this!
#30 Old 05-08-2006, 05:58 PM
Veggie Regular

You can use any unsweetened nut butter in place of tahini.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page