What to feed the omni bf? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-19-2006, 05:18 PM

Is there any place he can buy from or stamp of some sort stamp I should look for that says "humane" treatment? I personally do not want an animal to die for my meal (even if they were treated well before their death), so I won't be partaking in this. I would feel a little better about it though if the stuff he was buying was from ethical farmers. I think I saw eggs at Kroger that said "cage free" on the carton...is that believable? Do they have regulators to make sure of that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-19-2006, 05:30 PM

Im not sure, but I do understand where your coming from, My BF is an omni as well... and it really is hard... He wants me to make him steak and other things of that nature... but I can't bring my self to do it... I will make a vegan meal and he will just be like... your not turning me vegetarian... *sighs* he will eat it... but I hope that just making vegan or veg meals for him will show him there is so much more out there, that IS cruelty free and delicious! maybe u can try the same tactic.
#3 Old 04-19-2006, 05:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Look for lables that say free range
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-19-2006, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Buying organic is usually a pretty safe route to take when you want cruelty-free products. If there is a store like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods (or a local natural foods store) in your area, you might find that you are able to find clearly-labelled products more easily than at a traditional grocery store where they can get lost in the mix. Good luck

If you're in the US, look for this label when buying organic:

http://www.omorganics.org/images/usda.gif
#5 Old 04-19-2006, 06:07 PM
Beginner

When I cook for my family I rarely deal with raw meat. I usually try to get something frozen and ready to cook so I don't have to go through cleaning and cutting. Even though I went veg for health reasons, after a while handling the animal flesh turns me off.

There are a lot of frozen meats and things that make it easier not to handle if you have to go that route.
#6 Old 04-19-2006, 06:55 PM

Try a food co-op like Azure Standard. Alternatively, have a talk with your boyfriend, and agree to leave the words vegan and vegetarian out of your discussions about food. There are a LOT of things you can feed him that you'd feed yourself and he'd never notice. It doesn't always have to be reconstituted whole grain faux patties and long-grain hand polished rice with marinated tofu chunks (I'm exaggerating for effect, of course). There's always the simple things like pasta with sauce, vegetable stir-fry, potato soup, good old fashioned beans and rice, etc.

If you are willing to cook meat of the not-as-cruel-as-factory-farming type, make friends with a hunter. Deer and other animals felled in the hunt at least have not lived a life trapped in a cage and controlled by electric shock. Most hunters I know have a genuine respect for the animals they hunt, and go out of their way to eliminate as much suffering as possible.
#7 Old 04-19-2006, 07:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Free range and organically raised animals are not treated much better than those raised in factory farms. In fact, the difference is sometimes indistinguishable. Unfortunately, too many of the organic, health conscious, "compassionate" Whole Foods/Co-op shoppers are totally unaware of this. Free range is a fraud.

If it were me, I'd let him starve before I served him animal products. Actually, I probably wouldn't be in the relationship to begin with. But that's just me.
#8 Old 04-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaraluna View Post

Buying organic is usually a pretty safe route to take when you want cruelty-free products. If there is a store like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods (or a local natural foods store) in your area, you might find that you are able to find clearly-labelled products more easily than at a traditional grocery store where they can get lost in the mix. Good luck

If you're in the US, look for this label when buying organic:

http://www.omorganics.org/images/usda.gif

This is false. Organic meats, eggs, and dairy are in no way cruelty free. The only way to shop and eat cruelty free is to shop and eat vegan.

That being said there lots of vegan stuff that omnis eat. For example

Salad, pasta salad, eggplant and pasta, hummus and pita, falafel, vegetable stir fry, burritos, etc.
#9 Old 04-19-2006, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdufstuff View Post

This is false. Organic meats, eggs, and dairy are in no way cruelty free. The only way to shop and eat cruelty free is to shop and eat vegan.

That being said there lots of vegan stuff that omnis eat. For example

Salad, pasta salad, eggplant and pasta, hummus and pita, falafel, vegetable stir fry, burritos, etc.

I agree with you that vegan is the only way to go, but if her bf doesn't want to go veg that's a hard road for him to follow. I just suggested what I thought would be the easiest way for him to minimize cruelty without giving up meat.

I would second the suggestions that you feed him as much veg food as possible, though, missfuzzy -- it's so tasty that maybe he'll not be able to resist!
#10 Old 04-19-2006, 07:52 PM

While the crap on the shelf at Kroger is one thing, not all "free range" eggs are a joke. My m-i-l eats only free range eggs, and she doesn't buy them at a regular grocer. Her supplier defines (and he's not alone) free-range as chikens raised outside, and their food and wter are placed a certain number of feet apart. SO the chicken litterally has run of the yard. Now that I think of it, maybe her supplier is Hutterite?
#11 Old 04-19-2006, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy cricket View Post

While the crap on the shelf at Kroger is one thing, not all "free range" eggs are a joke. My m-i-l eats only free range eggs, and she doesn't buy them at a regular grocer. Her supplier defines (and he's not alone) free-range as chikens raised outside, and their food and wter are placed a certain number of feet apart. SO the chicken litterally has run of the yard. Now that I think of it, maybe her supplier is Hutterite?

So when this supplier breeds new layers, what does he do with the male chicks? When the layers get old and stop producing eggs at a profitable rate what does he do with them?

His farm may not be cruel but I can't say for sure without knowing the answers to these questions.
#12 Old 04-19-2006, 08:04 PM

That's a good question. I very much doubt he lets them die of old age, but at the same time, I'm thinking that using chickens handled in this way are at least *less cruel* than buying regular old factory farm stuff and cutting it while it's frozen so that it will be less gross.

Maybe?
#13 Old 04-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy cricket View Post

That's a good question. I very much doubt he lets them die of old age, but at the same time, I'm thinking that using chickens handled in this way are at least *less cruel* than buying regular old factory farm stuff and cutting it while it's frozen so that it will be less gross.

Maybe?

It is definately and improvement, but it still is not cruel free.
#14 Old 04-19-2006, 08:20 PM
Veggie Regular

But it is an improvment and that is better than nothing at all.

Being vegan just is not for everyone
#15 Old 04-19-2006, 08:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think you'll find cruelty free animal products. You can try to buy free range animal products in the hopes that it's maybe making a difference.

I'll be honest, my husband is omni and I don't buy him meat, except lunch meat on occasion. If he wants meat HE buys it. I don't really see much of a difference in one type of meat from another (other than price) but at least I can feel better about it because I'm not buying it for me. I cook vegetarian (well now vegan) and I make good meals, so he eats what I make. Rarely, if ever, does he pick up any meat. Generally it's for something special like a bbq and for most of those he'll even eat my grilled veggies or a veggie dog. He's pretty easy to please.

In order to retain you peace you pretty much have to respect his position, which sometimes means not looking.

Mary
#16 Old 04-19-2006, 09:20 PM

Thank ya'll so much for your responses! They were all very helpful. I don't buy meat anymore...like i won't even pick up a chicken caesar from jason's deli for him. This has sparked him to buy his own meat from the bargain bin in kroger (eww) occasionally. So, really I was just wanting to suggest a less cruel option to him. He is really supportive of me though. He eats my veggie fajitas and veggie chili and pasta and salads quite a bit and even complements it. <3
#17 Old 04-20-2006, 07:15 AM
Veggie Regular

D

T

M

F

A
#18 Old 04-21-2006, 01:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotting View Post

D

T

M

F

A

nice! while we're at it, ITMFA as well.
#19 Old 04-21-2006, 02:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I know DTMFA but "I"?
#20 Old 04-21-2006, 03:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Since I had to look up DTMFA (dump the mother****er already), I looked up ITMFA also... Impeach the mother****er already.

How about MYOGDB. Just because you guys can't fathom living with someone who eats meat, doesn't mean the OP shares your views. There's no need to be so insulting.

As for the original question, your best bet is to find a local farmer that you can buy from. Do you have any nearby farmer markets? The good news is that this will be a heck of a lot cheaper than buying alledgely cruelty-free products from a grocery store, plus you can talk to the farmers and be more assured that they are caring for their animals.
#21 Old 04-21-2006, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Since I had to look up DTMFA (dump the mother****er already), I looked up ITMFA also... Impeach the mother****er already.

How about MYOGDB. Just because you guys can't fathom living with someone who eats meat, doesn't mean the OP shares your views. There's no need to be so insulting.

Perhaps you can take your own advice, and stay out of MGDB. That, or you take note that the OP posed the question, and I responded to it. If she wants to tell me to stay out of HGDB, then that is HGDB, not YGDB.

#22 Old 04-21-2006, 10:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Dilligaf

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#23 Old 04-21-2006, 10:53 AM

There are no regulations for Vegan stuf in the U.K aparently, only for vegetarian
#24 Old 04-21-2006, 10:53 AM

There are no regulations for Vegan stuf in the U.K aparently, only for vegetarian
#25 Old 04-21-2006, 10:53 AM

#26 Old 04-21-2006, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Where can I order the bloody book to decode or translate these messages
#27 Old 04-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

try here

my blokes an omni - i just feed him vegan stuff and tell him to get off his bum and cook his own dinner if he wants meat! Stuff like chilli, stir-fry, curry, jacket spuds, pasta bake etc is good - it's practically veggie anyway so he doesnt notice the missing meat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page