Kosher Gelatin? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-11-2006, 11:28 PM
Beginner

K, so I'm still learning and learning to read labels... all that, and I ate some yogurt and read the label after the fact (der, smart move, I know) and it said "Kosher gelatin"... WTH is that?

Is it gelatin NOT made from animals? Or just not made from beef? It wouldn't be Kosher if it was made from beef b/c it would dairy and meat... Is there such a thing? I'm a bit confused!

Paige
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-11-2006, 11:37 PM
Veggie Regular

It's gelatin that isn't made from pork. It's made from fish.
#3 Old 03-11-2006, 11:53 PM
Beginner

aahhh.. thanks. that's gross. i had fish yogurt...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-12-2006, 12:01 AM

Lol, that was funny the way you said that. We live and learn.
#5 Old 03-12-2006, 12:40 AM
Banned

I know there is vegan gelatin out there somewhere, but I'm not sure where to get it. You may want to use the search feature, because it's been mentioned on VB a while back.
#6 Old 03-12-2006, 07:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Ugh. I hate how much gelatin is out there.

The other day I was thinking of buying some iced oatmeal cookies, but when I read the label, it said "fish gelatin." Mmm... fish gelatin... yeah right. I figure anyone who actually reads the ingredient list would put the package right back on the shelf.
#7 Old 03-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Veggie Regular

There's *sort of* vegan gelatin... things like pectin and agar agar. There used to be a company called Emes who claimed they manufactured a vegan kosher gelatin but they were liars.

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...highlight=Emes
#8 Old 03-12-2006, 10:25 AM

yeah,you can find recipes for making your own jello type desserts, if ya like em. they use agar agar, as mentioned and also kudzu powder. I made some with orange juice awhile back and it came out pretty good.
#9 Old 03-12-2006, 11:54 AM
Veggie Regular

glycerine makes a gel-like texture in things... but, lol, you wouldn't really want THAT in your food. (good for thickenining homemade laundry detergent, though)

There's plenty of good stuff out there (hard as it may be to find) without gelatin in it. Just try to take a little more time when you go shopping and read labels a bit more. I know it's hard, and I almost never have the time... but I've got a good idea now what to watch out for~

And like the others said... don't sweat it. Live and learn. Now you know another brand to avoid~
#10 Old 03-13-2006, 06:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I've seen vegan jello. But anything that just says "gelatin" is animal(unless it happend to say vegetarian gelatin...which I've never seen).
#11 Old 03-13-2006, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular

do any companies ever use agar agar instead of gelatin, by any slim chance ? i don't mean that they put gelatin but use agar agar, but actually list on the ingrediants list "...., agar agar, ..."
#12 Old 03-13-2006, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinbock View Post

do any companies ever use agar agar instead of gelatin, by any slim chance ? i don't mean that they put gelatin but use agar agar, but actually list on the ingrediants list "...., agar agar, ..."

The vegan jello I saw, I think it was made with agar agar. I'm not sure though cause I never bought it.
#13 Old 03-13-2006, 08:12 PM
Beginner

There is a brand of kosher jello under the brand of Kojel which contains no gelatin.
#14 Old 03-13-2006, 08:14 PM

I've had the Kojel Jello it's pretty good. i've seen vegan marshmellows out there they are good too.
#15 Old 03-13-2006, 09:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, I've had vegan marshmallows -- can't remember the brand -- and I couldn't tell the difference. There is marshmallow fluff, too, at least some of which is vegan.
#16 Old 03-14-2006, 08:47 PM
Beginner

there is gelatin in film...damn it.

i have probably spent hundreds of dollars this month on photography.

ah well, i'm learning...and going digital.
#17 Old 03-14-2006, 08:57 PM

If you want "gelitan" not made from animals, the closest thing, I believe, would be agar-agar. It is a thickening agent made from sea weed.
#18 Old 03-15-2006, 09:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungBuck View Post

There is a brand of kosher jello under the brand of Kojel which contains no gelatin.

Ok yup, that's the one I was thinking of, I couldn't remember the name but I knew it started with a "K". I don't like jello though, it's all squishy and weird.
#19 Old 03-15-2006, 06:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I just made the most awesome pie using agar agar. I just blended some with pureed apricots, tofutti cream cheese and a bit of organic cane sugar (sweet tooth). My non-veggie friends loved it and so did I!
#20 Old 03-15-2006, 06:50 PM

Quote:

You'd probably have to check at one of the major health food stores. It's doubtful that the average ordinary supermarket would carry products made with Agar-Agar.
#21 Old 03-15-2006, 06:51 PM

Steinbock..there is a brand called "Superfruits" that uses seaweed, and labels it as such on the box. Also, I've found some at Halal markets.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#22 Old 03-16-2006, 10:03 AM

agar agar. check an asian market, if you have one.
#23 Old 03-16-2006, 10:57 AM
Beginner

A further note on kosher gelatin: Jell-o is considered Kosher. Here's some information on that decision:

"JELL-O Brand gelatin is certified as Kosher by a recognized orthodox Rabbi as per enclosed RESPONSUM. In addition to being Kosher, Jell-O is also Pareve, and can be eaten with either a meat meal or a dairy meal."

They included a sheet with a copy of "The Halachic Basis of our Kashruth Certification of Atlantic Gelatin and the General Foods Products containing this Gelatin" by Rabbi Yehuda Gershuni & Rabbi David Telsner. The upshot is that since the collagen has been taken apart by the chemical digestion and a new substance has been produced it meets the specifications of the Orthodox Dietary Laws and is Kosher and Pareve." (From: http://users.rcn.com/sue.interport/food/gelatin.html.)

So, basically, the reason that Jell-O is considere Kosher is that it is so far removed from the original animal product itself, that it can be considered a different product altogether, and can, therefore, be considered kosher.

However, from a vegan or vegetarian standpoint, it is still considered an animal product. So, if something says 'kosher gelatin', that just means that the gelatin has been certified kosher, but it does not mean anything regarding the source of the gelatin.

This brings up two important points for veg*ns: just because something is kosher does not mean it will necessarily adhere to the standards of being 'non-animal sourced' that you would apply to your food choices. Conversely, just because some items that have the "D" symbol on them (which indicates that it contains Dairy, according to the rabbis who inspected it) does not mean that dairy is one of the actual ingredients. Rather, it means that the product was produced on equipment that also was used to produce dairy products. (I'm not very well-versed on Jewish dietary laws, but I understand that their dairy plates are supposed to be kept separate from other plates; similarly, factory equipment used to produce dairy items is considered a 'dairy plate', and so anything produced on it is considered to have been produced with dairy.)

So, in short, it's a good idea to read the ingredient label to find out what's actually in the product. Jewish dietary law symbols can be helpful, but they are not exactly the same as what some veg*ns would follow in their own food guidelines.

And I'd be glad to hear more about Jewish dietary laws from someone who is familiar with them, but that's probably the subject of another thread.
#24 Old 03-17-2006, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I thought about your post when I was in the store the other day and saw a mix for Reese's snack bars or some such thing (like no-bake peanut-butter brownies). They listed agar-agar on the ingredients! Of course, they also listed milk, so it wasn't for me... but it was interesting to notice.
#25 Old 06-12-2006, 04:38 AM

Hi, so what is a good kosher vegan gel that we can use for hardening or thickening food? Any suggestions?
#26 Old 06-12-2006, 04:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes newbie, you can use Agar Agar.
#27 Old 06-12-2006, 04:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Steinbock..there is a brand called "Superfruits" that uses seaweed, and labels it as such on the box. Also, I've found some at Halal markets.

Halal ? What does that mean? I see it often on products.
#28 Old 06-12-2006, 05:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Kosher is to Judaism what Halal is to Islam.
#29 Old 06-13-2006, 07:01 AM
Beginner

A kosher dairy or pareve item may contain meat products. If the amount of an ingredient is considered to be so insignificant, it is treated as it is not in the food at all. This is why kosher cheese may contain rennet. Hence, you can not rely on kosher labeling as a standard for a food's veg*n status.
#30 Old 06-13-2006, 07:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a gel-like candy called "Jelly Straws" that use a seaweed extract.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page