Les Croissants?? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-12-2006, 03:48 AM

Hi,

I adore croissants, but this morning i was told that thay are made from animal fat, whilst i had one in my mouth . I am new to vegetarianism so i dnt know much about which non-meat foods use animal products. I would really like to know if croissants get the green light.... im gonna have to weane myself off of them

Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-12-2006, 03:59 AM
Veggie Regular

They're made with butter which is a dairy product; if you're vegetarian, they are fine... I'm pretty sure they're not made with animal fats like beef tallow or lard.
#3 Old 02-12-2006, 04:00 AM

Croissants are just flaky dough. They're flaky because in between each thin layer of dough is a layer of fat. The fat separates the layers and produce steam while baking, producing thin layers of flaky bread. Most good croissants use butter, but I supposed you could use a vegan margarine if you wanted to make them. Making them sounds like a pain in the butt. You have to roll out the dough, then spread a thin layer of margarine. Then fold it in half. Then roll out the dough again. Then spread more margarine. Then fold it in half. Etc. You could just buy some filo or puff pastry dough and bake it at home.

Here's a recipe for them.

http://recipecircus.com/recipes/CVC/...roissants.html

Although you might be able to find a place that uses vegan margarine instead of butter. Or maybe you could try those pillsbury flaky biscuits instead, I don't know if they're vegan though.

HTH,

~Wonder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-12-2006, 04:39 AM
Veggie Regular

i've made homemade croissants before, they take a little effort, but they are worth the effort - better than pre-made dough!

and pillsbury crescent rolls are vegan, the last time i checked..
#5 Old 02-12-2006, 04:51 AM

Some of those pillsbury flaky biscuits sound real good right about now

I should say for the croissants, what you basically do is roll out a square piece of dough. Create a decently thick layer of butter/margarine. Then fold it in half and refrigerate until hard. Then roll it out a bunch, fold it in half, roll it out again, fold it in half. Everytime you fold it, you're doubling the number of layers of butter. So do this until you have folded it quite a few times. Then cut triangles, roll into the crescent shape, and then bake.

~Wonder
#6 Old 02-12-2006, 05:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I think most croissants are suitable for lacto-ovo vegetarians.
#7 Old 02-12-2006, 07:26 AM

Ok, i'm very relieved. I can carry on eating croissants! I mite even start making them.
#8 Old 02-12-2006, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

They're made with butter which is a dairy product; if you're vegetarian, they are fine... I'm pretty sure they're not made with animal fats like beef tallow or lard.

It depends.... A "real" croissant does not have lard. Most commonly they're made with butter or shortening.
#9 Old 02-13-2006, 12:12 AM

thanx for all the info had no idea...

peace and love

jenn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page