To PETA or not to PETA? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-31-2006, 11:20 PM
Veggie Regular

that is the question....

my public speaking professor would not allow anyone in the class to use PETA references as they were not resourceful and very biased.

Some of the propoganda from PETA is aimed at college-age and to just get people to see things without having the studies in front of them (nothing was backed up)...

a lot of the studying I did I came up with much worse things than what PETA pointed out...

A vegan friend of mine (locally) never addressed PETA or anything...and in fact, she only mentioned Food Not Bombs as a form of volunteer work...

so...in conclusion...to PETA or not to PETA?

I feel PETA has more of an agenda than an actual organization that puts time and money into helping the environment and animals, although I may just be misinformed or misguided, hence my curiosity.

Help out an ignorant girl here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-31-2006, 11:32 PM

hey there

i am proud peta member--and i am involved in many of their campaigns and proud of the work that we do. In my opinion they dont have an agenda they are doing their part to try to get the animal rights message out there-- change minds and make a difference--exactly what i wanna do-

peace and love

jenn
#3 Old 01-31-2006, 11:39 PM

I'm not the kind of person who would join PETA myself, for a few reasons. There's plenty of other animal rights groups to get involved with, often it seems like the smaller the group the more help they need. Vegan Outreach is one of my favorites. Even if you're not vegan, the more people handing out the "Even if You Like Meat" pamphlets the better. I think that, statistically, outreach efforts like that are probably the most efficient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-31-2006, 11:45 PM
Veggie Regular

sokara...thats kinda how I feel....I'd join Food Not Bombs, but my work day is the day they feed the homeless....and it's the only day of the week that's mandatory for me to work on >.<

takes an Act of God to get me the "sabbath" off. (ok, that sentence is very bad, cuz I don't believe in the same "God" that created the sabbath....LOL)
#5 Old 02-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Peta's good for me once in a while to really slam the idea of being veg*n into my head again. I've got veggie friends that are somewhat lax about eating fish sometimes and not really caring if there's beef fat in the Brown Gravy, so then I feel like I'm getting a bit soft on the Strict Veg idea. So all I have to do is watch part of one of the Peta Pig Farm videos, and it's all very clear again as I watch through my teary eyeballs.

I wish sometimes they didn't have the Slaughter In Your Face thing, so others in the world didn't have such a freaked out view of them, but they have done a good job converting tons of people.

I like Peta2 a bit better, since that's aimed at high school and college kids more.

I'm not a member of Peta, but do think they've done a lot of good for the world.
#6 Old 02-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I like peta - one of their anti fur videos got a couple of friends to stop wearing the stuff which can only be a good thing.

I wish their videos were a bit less graphic tho - i know it's meant to shock people into realising why meat is bad, but some people on the fence about turning veggie just cant watch it, so they lose an opportunity to educate someone.
#7 Old 02-01-2006, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

i think I realized after starting the thread that it's potentially a bad argument starter, so hopefully it doesn't turn into some serious political or debatable thing about who's right or wrong, I was just curious of other's thoughts as PETA is rarely mentioned in here (that I've found)...lol

#8 Old 02-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly_acid View Post

i think I realized after starting the thread that it's potentially a bad argument starter, so hopefully it doesn't turn into some serious political or debatable thing about who's right or wrong, I was just curious of other's thoughts as PETA is rarely mentioned in here (that I've found)...lol

Hehehe I guess you needed to search a bit more. There's been plenty of discussion of PETA on VB.

<<------ Proud member of PETA

*this space not for sale*
#9 Old 02-01-2006, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I dunno, I've become more critical of them for various reasons, but I also see the usual compulsive jumps on the PETA-bashing bandwagon as pretty stupid.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#10 Old 02-01-2006, 03:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I have ethical disagreements with PETA, in the groups they support and in the way they select and present information. While I think they do some valuable work, I will instead support other groups that do valuable work with whom I don't have such ethical concerns.
#11 Old 02-01-2006, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't stand them. They're a group who believe that naked women and publicity stunts will get people to change their ways. They are completely wrong about this. As for vegetarianism, they provide little information of vegetarian living. I would rather recommend that someone interested in veg*nism visit the Vegan Society or the [Vegetarian Society (Although I am gradually starting to disapprove highly over the Vegetarian Society, as I think it is becoming more like PETA.) since they're likely to get more fact-based information rather than sensationalist gobsh*te.

So for me, I just wouldn't trust PETA one bit. Their whole existence is based upon the ideology of style at the expense of substance, and their style is equivalent to dressing in the most garishly awful clothes imaginable. (A bit like the return of the 80's, but worse.) And at the end of the day, i think they convince very few people to embrace vegetarianism, and actually act as a hindrance towards social acceptance of vegetarianism, therefore limiting the impact that PETA have.
#12 Old 02-01-2006, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I think they may have done some good, but most of it is done with straight out propaganda. I don't care what cause it's for, people should be given the truth. And yeah, the whole Pamela Anderson almost completely naked thing really does bother me. Saving animals by selling women's bodies? grrrrrreat...
#13 Old 02-01-2006, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I use thier shopping guide and sometimes use some of the information on thier website (after I double-check it), but that's it. PETA recenlty commended a racist right-winger because he said something about animal rights. I'm not Ok with that. I'm not for any group that doesn't seem to care much about humans. To me, veganism is a fight against all oppression, not just oppression of animals.
#14 Old 02-01-2006, 07:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bios View Post

I have ethical disagreements with PETA, in the groups they support and in the way they select and present information. While I think they do some valuable work, I will instead support other groups that do valuable work with whom I don't have such ethical concerns.

That's pretty much how I feel.

I'm on their email list, but I don't contribute financially to them. They're a good source of starter information. By that, I mean that I may watch one of their videos or read about Iams cruelty or KFC or whatever, but then I look elsewhere for more information. I will never quote PETA as a source to back up anything I say or believe. I don't know of anyone outside of a few people on this message board that takes PETA seriously. It's a shame. But because of that I choose to volunteer my time to a local rescue group and my money to that group as well as other larger scale rescue/AW/AR groups (Humane Society, Farm Sanctuary, etc).
#15 Old 02-01-2006, 07:58 PM

here, here morna! i'm not a peta basher. a couple of the groups i work with use some of their materials. i think a lot of the footage about the horrors of fur farming, factory farming, and so on are really effective in helping people to realize how messed up animal-based diets are. however, you can read a post i wrote at vegankid.solidaritydesign.net/2006/01/15/peta-makes-you-fat/ to see how i feel about peta's policy on single-issue politics (specifically how they maintain the cult of thinness). and when hey praised arnold schwarzenegger and featured him on the front page of their site for about a month, it became obvious that they didn't really care to take into consideration the fact that all oppression is intertwined and that we cannot eliminate one while another form exists.

but with that said, Nazis aren't PETA's domain. Neither is racism or sexism. doesn't mean they couldn't do a little more to eliminate it from their own publicity and organization, but its not their focus. They focus on animal rights and liberation. And they have had far too many successes in what they do to say they aren't an organization worth your time. BUT that doesn't mean we have to join hands with them and ignore the many faults they have. if we care about the work they do, then we will join PETA and help them to become an organization that better recognizes the links between the different forms of oppression (it would also be nice if they cited their information more often). because when they do this, they will be an unstoppable force with a volunteer base that isn't largely a bunch of young, college-educate white kids with a funding base of older, post-yuppie White folks.

and as someone who was involved with Food Not Bombs for years, i can tell you that there are also some very inherent ills that plague the different collectives (but we can get more into that some other time). They are not innate ills, they can be remedied, but i wouldn't want anyone joining up with them thinking they are the perfect group.

I'd say do what you want. If there are some cool PETA folks in your town, go for it. If there is a cool local organization, go for that. If neither exist, I'm sure there is enough experience on these boards to help you start a great organization in your community.

Personally, I like Stop Huntingdon Animal Cruelty (SHAC). but that's just my personal style. I'm also involved in a couple other, much more laid back, organizations that focus on information, dinners, movies, and speaking events. their site is shacamerica.com, but unfortunately its mostly down right now because they have created a new site. and the SHAC 7 retrial starts next week, so i'm not sure it will be completely up any time soon.
#16 Old 02-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Beginner

I am a PETA member. If nothing else, at least their in-your-face advertising/commentary attracts attention an gets people's interest piqued.

But I agree on the fact that MOST (not all) people are most easily swayed by gentle nudging rather than being taken by the shoulders and shaken
#17 Old 02-01-2006, 09:35 PM

PETA is not perfect, by any means. But, then, neither is any charity group. As a whole, PETA does excellent work.
#18 Old 02-02-2006, 12:22 AM
Veggie Regular

To PETA or not to PETA? Not. My personal vegetarian vendetta, what I want to prove to the world, is that veg*nism is good for YOU, not just for animals. I've caught slack about this before from other veg*ns and I'm sure I will again, but animal rights don't spark my passion. It's actually a pet peeve of mine when an omni makes a comment like "You know Eli, plants have feelings too" or something, because...well...that's not why I'm a vegetarian. Not even close. I am glad there are people who care about animals and I'm glad those people are doing what they can, but that's not me.

I think there should be an organization (if there isn't already, I haven't looked) that helps to dispell the myth that so many omnis carry around in their heads that all vegetarians are animal rights activists.
#19 Old 02-02-2006, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokara View Post

I'm not the kind of person who would join PETA myself, for a few reasons. There's plenty of other animal rights groups to get involved with, often it seems like the smaller the group the more help they need. Vegan Outreach is one of my favorites. Even if you're not vegan, the more people handing out the "Even if You Like Meat" pamphlets the better. I think that, statistically, outreach efforts like that are probably the most efficient.

i am both--i am a proud Peta member--and am involved with local organizations also--i think that you can do both--and both do alot of good and thats what i want to make a difference every way that i possibly can.

peace love and happiness to all my human and animal friends

jenn
#20 Old 02-02-2006, 08:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, information I recieved from PETA influenced my decision to go vegetarian, so they can't be too evil. If it wasn't for some of their outrageous tactics I'm sure animal issues would be brought up far less in the mainstream media also.
#21 Old 02-02-2006, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

elibrown-agreed.
#22 Old 02-02-2006, 09:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Without PETA, I would be munching on carcass and not posting on this site.

And I think the female body is something to be proud of, not ashamed of. The female body is beautiful, not disgusting that they should have to cover up. If they aren't afraid to show their skin for the cause, I fully support them. If PETA was forcing people to strip at gunpoint, then I'd be against it. If everything was uncovered or there was sex involved, I would be against it. I don't understand how a poster of a woman who isn't shielding her physical self from the world is "degrading women". Funny how no one ever says this about the men in PETA's ads. If a women is shown as sexy in an ad, it's "degrading", "exploiting", or "sexist". If a man is in the ad it's all good.
#23 Old 02-03-2006, 07:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrown View Post

To PETA or not to PETA? Not. My personal vegetarian vendetta, what I want to prove to the world, is that veg*nism is good for YOU, not just for animals. I've caught slack about this before from other veg*ns and I'm sure I will again, but animal rights don't spark my passion. It's actually a pet peeve of mine when an omni makes a comment like "You know Eli, plants have feelings too" or something, because...well...that's not why I'm a vegetarian. Not even close. I am glad there are people who care about animals and I'm glad those people are doing what they can, but that's not me.

I think there should be an organization (if there isn't already, I haven't looked) that helps to dispell the myth that so many omnis carry around in their heads that all vegetarians are animal rights activists.

I'm very much with you on this! Many people assume that I'm the kind of guy who does protests, simply because I'm a vegetarian. However, many people who do know me will know that I'm a man who belongs in the pub, not on the street!

As for the nudity, the human body isn't something to be ashamed of. However, flagrantly displaying it as a means to promote vegetarianism is not something that I would endorse. It's too cheap, too tacky, and too bloody ridiculous. PETA's lettuce ladies/brocolli boys all need a good kicking/beating. Or at least, they need to be done away with, because I think the idea is ridiculous. I am astounded that people genuinely exist, who believe that this is the correct way to go about business.

Really, some organisations need to know when to quit. Thankfully, Fathers 4 Justice disbanded following the foundation of an extremist wing. PETA should have really disbanded many years ago. They are a blight on the vegetarian cause, and are far too extreme to be regarded as credible. They make a mockery of themselves, and in doing so, they make a mockery of vegetarians. I cannot believe that so many vegetarians are so complacent about PETA. They need an arse-kicking. A right royal arse-kicking, in my somewhat unhumble opinion. And the use of nudity in protests would be the pinnacle of PETA's public embarassments, if it were not for the infamous holocaust campaign, which served to put PETA in the "malicious jester" seat.

I still believe that the best current model of promoting vegetarianism if of the vegan society. Their website is very heavily informational, and sensationalism is kept to a minimum. And unlike the vegetarian society, the vegan society is managing to keep hold of its respectable credentials.
#24 Old 02-04-2006, 02:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-anti-fur View Post

hey there

i am proud peta member--and i am involved in many of their campaigns and proud of the work that we do. In my opinion they dont have an agenda they are doing their part to try to get the animal rights message out there-- change minds and make a difference--exactly what i wanna do-

peace and love

jenn

No agenda huh?

PETA is made up of a bunch of uneducated hypocritical retards. They have no clue how the world really works. As Im sure all you tree-huggers already know PETA is against the use of animals for medical testing. Their leaders use diabetic medicines that were only invented with the assistance of animal testing. When asked about it the leader in question said she didnt think using these drugs made her a hypocrite because she needs her life to fight for the animals. Puh-lease. Now lets refer to the Merriam Webster dictionary on the meaning of the word hypocrite: 1. person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion. This would define your beloved PETA leader perfectly. PETA also kills 2/3s of the animals it rescues. There is also evidence that PETA supports Rodney Coronado and the terrorists of the ALF. PETA certainly has one messed up set of ethics. PETA is just manipulating every leftist-moron they can to join them. Cmon people, you really need to learn to think for yourselves.

I highly suggest watching this video, and see what you think of PETA afterwards. (put the http in front of it)

media.putfile.com/petaBS
#25 Old 02-06-2006, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post

I still believe ....(cut) And unlike the vegetarian society, the vegan society is managing to keep hold of its respectable credentials.

Hi Loki,

Would you care to elaborate? I think I might know where you are coming from.
#26 Old 02-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sokeen on the vegetarian society and its campaigning. It doesn't do that much of it, but what it does do is an embarassing display of marketing. For instance, take last years campaign for national vegetarian week, which focused on a "celebrity" in Dave Spikey. OK, he's not exactly a B-list, since he's the guy who discovered Peter Kay, but the way in which he was used in this cheap idea of "Don't courgettes look like penises?" with all this childish s******ing. I almost cringed when I saw that. And the "rude food" video accompanying it was the final nail in the coffin.

Not to mention the "fishconceptions" campaign, a patronising campaign. OK, it's bloody annoying how everyone thinks that vegetarians eat fish, particularly when the people in question own restaurants, but the campaign the vegetarian society had seemed to lack any kind of merit to it, and i just found it patronising.

I believe that the Vegetarian Society is not being run in a good way, and that it could be run much better. They don't seem to do anything useful in my eyes. OK, the "Vegetarian Society" logo is OK, but in all honesty, many manufacturers have their ownways of identifying which products are sitable for vegetarians.

In short, I think that the website for the vegetarian society needs to be rebooted. They need to start from the ground up. And the focus seems to be on the minor ingredients - E numbers and stuf like that. That's not what vegetarianism is all about, but the vegetarian society gives the impression that it's all about avoiding trace ingredients.
#27 Old 02-06-2006, 11:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm pretty much with Loki on PETA. He's pretty much said everything I have to say on the subject.

I will say that PETA does have some good information on their site about switching to a veg*n diet, what commercial products are veg*n, and what products are animal tested. Even so, you always have to double check their info because it isn't always up-to-date or some products are different in other areas.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page