Some questions on vegetarianism - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-26-2006, 03:58 AM

Hi I've been thinking about the idea of going vegetarian for a long while now. But I've talked to a friend about it and she says something that people with my blood type which is A+ needs meat in their diet. Is this true? Should I discuss the idea with my doctor? Or is it fine just to start out without talking to my doctor? Is there any sort of vitamins I should be taking if I was to become fully vegetarian? Also any advice on getting started would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Unole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-26-2006, 04:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow, I'm A+ and this is the first I've heard of that. I have been veggie for almost two years and my blood test results have always been great. It couldn't hurt to discuss going vegetarian with your doc. If you already have good eating habits I don't see it being a problem transitioning over at all. I started taking a multivitamin when I gave up dairy and eggs. I also take vitamin c, calcium and B12.
#3 Old 01-26-2006, 04:44 AM
Veggie Regular

No, the blood type myth has been debunked.

You should however start out by reading up on the health needs of a vegetarian. Try the book "Becoming Vegetarian", or the website veganhealth.org. If you already have any health or medical issues, then yes it's probably wise to discuss this change with your doctor or nutritionist, but you should be warned that some doctor's are not very knowledgeable on vegetarianism themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-26-2006, 07:41 AM

I wouldn't let your friend's comment bother you. I've been a vegetarian for years and I don't even know what my blood type is.

I highly recommend you do some reading on vegetarianism. Knowledge will give you more confidence.

But the bottomline is that you do not need meat in order to be healthy and well-nourished.
#5 Old 01-26-2006, 10:36 AM

Your friends advice is probably based on a diet put forward by a Dr Peter D'Adamo, claiming that your blood type defines what foods you can consume lots of, and what you should avoid. The study has been widely critiscised, so I wouldn't take much notice. Theres no avoiding the health benefits of a plant based diet. If you're concerned then of course go to your doctor, but i really dont think there's anything in it.
#6 Old 01-26-2006, 10:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Even if you want to put credence in that blood type diet, I believe the O type is that "needs" meat. A types (like myself) do best on a vegetarian diet, the author says. Personally I wouldn't listen to the guy, but if you want to, your friend's still wrong.
#7 Old 01-26-2006, 11:44 AM

Yup, sounds like your friend is referring to the "Blood Type Diet." I'm sure you'll find many people who don't agree with this diet for many reasons. I'm one of them... mostly because there's no real evidence to back it up. There's is, on the other hand, numerous studies showing the benefits of a Vegetarian diet for anyone.

http://www.earthsave.org/news/bloodtyp.htm

As for talking with your doctor, be aware that many doctors are still very uneducated or opinionated on the Vegetarian issue. My own doctor claimed my choice was "highly irresponsible" and she recommended I take "lots of vitamins to counteract my lack of nutrition." I shut her up when she saw my blood tests the next visit... despite a risky family history, she was looking at some of the best cholesterol and triglyceride levels she'd ever seen.

Take that, doc!
#8 Old 01-26-2006, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamInWhispers View Post

As for talking with your doctor, be aware that many doctors are still very uneducated or opinionated on the Vegetarian issue.

Totally! My doc told me to be very careful about a vegetarian diet and that it might be okay for me because I was very healthy. Well, did he consider maybe I'm very healthy BECAUSE of being vegetarian?!
#9 Old 01-26-2006, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

MD's actually get shockingly little nutritional education. If you are widely read on the topic, including a close study of human biochemistry as it relates to nutrition, then you probably know more than the average doc. If I was completely cynical, I would state that this is because cardiology, oncology, and pharmaceuticals are large profit centers for most hospitals. Who wants to stem the flow of patients by encouraging a healthy diet and lifestyle? The lease payments on those Mercedes are pretty steep
#10 Old 01-27-2006, 05:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Doctors just tell you to be careful and all because there are quite a few people with completely unhealthy veg*n diets who come in, meaning they know more about that than healthy veg*nism.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page